• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

I don't even know the concept behind Talisman or how it works as a single-player board game or anything, but damned if I'm not tempted to buy it based solely on the reactions it's getting.

PittaGAF

I don't even know the concept behind Talisman or how it works as a single-player board game or anything, but damned if I'm not tempted to buy it based solely on the reactions it's getting.

Hmmm, let me try to explain.
I knew the original boardgame (having spent part of my youth playing it :p ) and I think they did a great job, considering it's without multiplayer (which many are asking for, but I'm not that sure it will translate and flow very well if you aren't all in the same room...games could take ages in async and one of the things that make the game good is how fast it flows being very 'light').

You select a char out of ten (you unlock chars as you play)...each char is very different in how you approach the board which is the same everytime.
You roll a dice and move acrosse the board, as in Monopoly...in each location, bar the special ones, you generally pick up an event card...a monter to fight, a cool object to keep, a spell...and so on.
While doing so...you have an objective to fulfill (like...go in the inner circle, there are three, and kill the Warewolf leader).
You are required to meet certain things before doing so (example...to get in the middle circle you have to traverse a river...you can get an axe, go to a forest and build a raft, or go across a bridge and defeat the very powerful sentinel, or be invisible and get past him...and so on).
You are always dominated bu roll dices, but expecially in later quests they aren't that important...it's more important how you build your char, expecially to survive the inner circle.

It's a 'light' game you can play in short bursts and have fun (I know I did...I was glued to the screen) BAR the latest quests that require much more preparation (they are hands down the coolest one).

It's great on iPad, servicable on iPhone due to the screen dimension.

The app is very slick and well done.

Ask if you need more input, I will gladly answer if I can.
On youtube you can find longish videos too, just to have an idea.

If you are familiar with the games...think a fantasy mix between Monopoly and Elder Signs: Omens.

Shaneus

Hmmm, let me try to explain.
I knew the original boardgame (having spent part of my youth playing it :p ) and I think they did a great job, considering it's without multiplayer (which many are asking for, but I'm not that sure it will translate and flow very well if you aren't all in the same room...games could take ages in async and one of the things that make the game good is how fast it flows being very 'light').

You select a char out of ten (you unlock chars as you play)...each char is very different in how you approach the board which is the same everytime.
You roll a dice and move acrosse the board, as in Monopoly...in each location, bar the special ones, you generally pick up an event card...a monter to fight, a cool object to keep, a spell...and so on.
While doing so...you have an objective to fulfill (like...go in the inner circle, there are three, and kill the Warewolf leader).
You are required to meet certain things before doing so (example...to get in the middle circle you have to traverse a river...you can get an axe, go to a forest and build a raft, or go across a bridge and defeat the very powerful sentinel, or be invisible and get past him...and so on).
You are always dominated bu roll dices, but expecially in later quests they aren't that important...it's more important how you build your char, expecially to survive the inner circle.

It's a 'light' game you can play in short bursts and have fun (I know I did...I was glued to the screen) BAR the latest quests that require much more preparation (they are hands down the coolest one).

It's great on iPad, servicable on iPhone due to the screen dimension.

The app is very slick and well done.

Ask if you need more input, I will gladly answer if I can.
On youtube you can find longish videos too, just to have an idea.

If you are familiar with the games...think a fantasy mix between Monopoly and Elder Signs: Omens.
Not at all familiar with the latter, but obviously you give enough of a knock out such a detailed rundown (and a glowing one at that). I'll definitely give it a shot.

PS. Still kinda weirding me out that that there's such a thing as a single-player board game, but I guess I'll get my head around that eventually!

colinp

Banned
Not at all familiar with the latter, but obviously you give enough of a knock out such a detailed rundown (and a glowing one at that). I'll definitely give it a shot.

PS. Still kinda weirding me out that that there's such a thing as a single-player board game, but I guess I'll get my head around that eventually!

It just means its pretty slow paced and you wait for dice to "roll" and cards to flip. I dunno, it's alright but maybe I'm too "young" and I need a faster paced experience. =p

mrkgoo

RUA2 is fun indeed.

I'm not sure I will play it for high score as much as RUA1 because of the way it's set up, but it makes RUA1 nearly unplayable now, lol (although latest version of RUA1 on iPhone 5 seems less smooth than it used to be).

I like how 3 and 4 wishes are split on the scoreboard. Could this have been (or has it been?) implemented for wishes that are retried? Like maybe make a scoreboard where no wishes are retried, like a hardcore mode?

Oh, one last question, what were the default controls? I swear it was switched, but it's possible I accidentally switched them at some point.

PittaGAF

Hmmm...I'm sure you are at least familiar with Monopoly.
Think Monopoly, played SOLO with your char being a sort of RPG-lite character (you can have objects, spells, stats to raise and life to lose and die)....with some sort of quest as a object.
Like...make 1 million, bring it to the 'Thieves Guild'...then steal 500K dollars to the Mage Guild (another spot on the board).
Meanwhile you are attacked by the Mage Guild...so you fight (via dice rolls) many mages as long as you go across the board.
The Mage Guild is on top of a tower, and to access it you have to pass an intelligence test (dice rolls) in which you can be aid by companions (that modify rolls), or stat increasing, or special objects...

Sorry...it's the closest thing I can think about to give you a vague idea of what you may experience.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
RUA2 is fun indeed.

I'm not sure I will play it for high score as much as RUA1 because of the way it's set up, but it makes RUA1 nearly unplayable now, lol (although latest version of RUA1 on iPhone 5 seems less smooth than it used to be).

I like how 3 and 4 wishes are split on the scoreboard. Could this have been (or has it been?) implemented for wishes that are retried? Like maybe make a scoreboard where no wishes are retried, like a hardcore mode?

Lots of possibilities for new modes and content if we get the opportunity to develop it further.

Oh, one last question, what were the default controls? I swear it was switched, but it's possible I accidentally switched them at some point.

Jump is on the left, dash is on the right by default. You can swap it in the Pause menu by pressing the Swap controls button in the bottom middle.

Shaneus

Hmmm...I'm sure you are at least familiar with Monopoly.
Think Monopoly, played SOLO with your char being a sort of RPG-lite character (you can have objects, spells, stats to raise and life to lose and die)....with some sort of quest as a object.
Like...make 1 million, bring it to the 'Thieves Guild'...then steal 500K dollars to the Mage Guild (another spot on the board).
Meanwhile you are attacked by the Mage Guild...so you fight (via dice rolls) many mages as long as you go across the board.
The Mage Guild is on top of a tower, and to access it you have to pass an intelligence test (dice rolls) in which you can be aid by companions (that modify rolls), or stat increasing, or special objects...

Sorry...it's the closest thing I can think about to give you a vague idea of what you may experience.
Dude, you've done really well! I'll be buying it and playing it tonight, for sure :)

mrkgoo

Lots of possibilities for new modes and content if we get the opportunity to develop it further.

Jump is on the left, dash is on the right by default. You can swap it in the Pause menu by pressing the Swap controls button in the bottom middle.

Yah, thanks. I must've accidentally switched it at some point.

Are you allowed to give details on which songs are selling the most? ;p

I bought Neverending Story, being a kid from the 80's. I actually already have both Always and Neverending Story in iTunes, so I guess I COULD have just opened it while playing, but whatever.

And people mention ads, but I never see any.

Shaneus

Aw man, how do I get RUA2 to sync up across my 4S and iPad 3? Because as it looks at the momennt, I've restored purchases but guess I can't change music until I hit level 5 again? And even then, the teardrops aren't linked either?

Boo :(

FerranMG

Anyone played or playing Clash of Clans?
I started yesterday and it seemed to me that the timers are quite harsh, and the premium currency is nowhere to be found in game. :/
Also, when I start an attack, all the fighters I deploy that don't get killed, I still lose them at the end of the attack? :/ :/

SteveWD40

Frozen Synapse
Frozen Synapse iPad Release Date: May 16th

jgfdEp8.gif

x-Lundz-x

Why have I never heard of Frozen Synapse until now, that looks amazing.

Is Star Command universal and have iCloud support? I generally only play games like this that have cloud saves so I can play on my phone and iPad.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
i've had some crashes on iPhone5 as well, usually on wish 2.

Sorry about that.

(some slowdown as well, usually when the giants show up)

I think that's around the time the
seahorse
also shows up which probably isn't helping.

While I'm not surprised Always is selling through, I must say I didn't expect quite the take up of the other music as well.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sorry about that.

I think that's around the time the
seahorse
also shows up which probably isn't helping.

While I'm not surprised Always is selling through, I must say I didn't expect quite the take up of the other music as well.

Have noticed another frequent glitch when using the Rainbow Savior boost, your horse becomes invisible after teleporting which results in a second crash pretty soon thereafter.. It happens to me about 50% of the time using that boost.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Have noticed another frequent glitch when using the Rainbow Savior boost, your horse becomes invisible after teleporting which results in a second crash pretty soon thereafter.. It happens to me about 50% of the time using that boost.

I'm not overly close to the dev team on this one, so I'm not sure of the details of what they have found or where they are at, but I'll pass that detail on thanks.

Zeth

Holy crap Frozen Synapse came out of nowhere for me. I haven't installed the PC version yet, damn. Will download Robot Unicorn now, I've been out of the iOS loop for a few months since building my PC.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Re: Talisman multiplayer being a different app. I don't particularly mind this, the devs have valid points for doing what they're doing (one being people not wanting SP being forced to dl SP game/update that with IAP to play MP or vice versa). If the singleplayer experience had been crappy that'd be a different story though.

RUA2:
ibvQcCpqQvhImo.png

/flex

Zero space bucks have been spent by me so far.

SteveWD40

It was a big deal on the PC indie scene for a while, but that was years ago. It's awesome though, endlessly playable with cross platform MP.

Just wanted to follow-up on my bitching about Carcassonne. I did some hunting online, and it seems like the prevailing wisdom is, it's a 4-player game MAX, and plays even better with less. So I'm going that route from now on. Until now, every game I've played as been 5 player, and the nicest comment I saw posted about that many players is 'utter chaos'. Love the game, hate sucking at it. Hopefully that's about to change.

dream

This is going back a bit, but one of my favorite games from the halcyon early days of iOS gaming, I Dig It HD (iPad only), is on sale for 99 cents. It's old and hasn't been updated for newfangled technology like retina graphics or IAPs, but it's a fantastic game centered around exploration, upgrades, and resource management.

mzl.jspxhftu.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.eepqvhfa.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.dnhglgup.480x480-75.jpg

This is going back a bit, but one of my favorite games from the halcyon early days of iOS gaming, I Dig It HD (iPad only), is on sale for 99 cents. It's old and hasn't been updated for newfangled technology like retina graphics or IAPs, but it's a fantastic game centered around exploration, upgrades, and resource management.

That looks really cool. Thx for the post.

SuperPac

Down to Adult Swim, but they are already talking about turning ads off with any IAP purchase.

The way ads in RUA2 currently work (since Friday) is if you've spent over $4.98 in IAP, ads should no longer be served to you. So if you bought the coin doubler or any combination of other items that put you over $4.98, they're off. (Or at least should be - if anyone has spent that amount and still sees them, let me know.)

ferr

Finally got around to playing All The Bravest. Weirdest execution of gameplay ever. Wrapping my finger in a tissue and zig-zagging across my party seems most efficient. It also leaves me with a super clean iPad screen.

Magnus

Any recommendations for something like Catan? It's the best $5 I've ever spent on iOS and has helped me crush so many transits to school and work.

Board games are awesome. Well-executed digital versions of them are even better!

Any recommendations for something like Catan? It's the best $5 I've ever spent on iOS and has helped me crush so many transits to school and work.

Board games are awesome. Well-executed digital versions of them are even better!

It sounds like you're looking for Stone Age, a fantastic adaptation of the award-winning boardgame. Also, it just went on sale for $4.99. Check it: http://appshopper.com/games/stone-age-the-board-game

You could also look into Defense of the Oasis. I haven't played that one, but it's described as Civilization meets Minesweeper. Pocket Tactics gushed over it. Check it: http://appshopper.com/games/defense-of-the-oasis

Tayaya

Talisman is one of those games that really boils down to "roll the dice, pick a destination, and then see how badly you get fucked." Player interaction is always pretty limited - in the real game, players on the same space can fight to steal items from one another, and of course whoever reaches the middle first then kills everyone off as quickly as they can, but it's largely automatic. That's really all that's missing in the iOS version. Most of my games of Talisman have had very little interaction between the players at the table, and the game suffers a bit for it.

The iOS version instead gives you little quests to do, of which there are 5 for each character class. Completing the quest in as few turns as possible becomes the new "goal" for the player, but the rest of the gameplay is exactly the same as the board game. It's hard to say there's skill involved in doing well as everything is determined by dice rolls and card draws. Still, it feels like Talisman proper, and it's cheap. It's worth getting if you've ever looked at the board game and wanted to get a feel for it.

As board game adaptations go, it's done well, but Talisman itself just feels like too much of an "I'm just along for the ride" kind of game for most people to really enjoy.

I'd much rather recommend Elder Sign: Omens or Alien Frontiers for those wanting a good taste of modern board gaming on their iPad. Both apps are really well done and a lot of fun solo or with friends.

Carcassonne and Ascension are worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom