• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread April 2013: Now with GAF Gold IAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Yeah, but that's misleading and you know it. Just because you offer the player small amount of the in-game currency for playing doesn't suddenly make it okay. The players who spend money will be able to get higher scores because they will be able to constantly retry stages with no fear of running out.

Again, you can't buy a high score. You still need to achieve it.

Spending real money may help you achieve your own optimal high score faster, but spending real money doesn't fundamentally allow you to score more than somebody not spending real money.

To flip it around, then, can you justify this from a gameplay perspective? I mean, the idea that you have to spend, let's call it "money" to retry a life. How do you justify that?

You are the one being misleading here. You don't have to spend any real "money" to retry a wish.

How is that improving the game?

The function is actually there as part of a broader strategy to make the game more accommodating for the casual player, a stated goal from Adult Swim and one we agreed with. Casual players tend to be very inconsistent with their scoring, so getting 3 consecutive decent runs in a row can be hard. A retry allows them another chance if they bomb out.

The game is "less frustrating" this way for casual players.

There are several things like this which were done to the base game in order for it to be more forgiving for new player or players of lower skill.

Diablohead said:
Don't forget that you can either pay something like 500 tears to do a 4th wish each run to add to your total, or pay £6.99 to always have a 4th wish.

3 and 4 wish scores are split out into different leaderboards.

You are the one being misleading here. You don't have to spend any real "money" to retry...

Again, I understand your need to defend the game rather than express whatever your own opinions might be, so it's nothing personal or anything. You know full well though that this mechanic is designed to get peoplentonspend money.

If the sole reason is to accommodate players of lesser skill, why aren't the retries free? How does charging for them improve the experience?

And let's stop this rubbish "you don't need to pay" thing, because while that's technically true, it's also true that if you don't want to pay you'll have to play over and over to save up currency in runs which you know will be rubbish because you don't have the currency to do a "proper" run. You don't "need" to pay, but the game encourages it at every turn, and you know it but don't worry about it, I know you're just the mouth of the company on this matter so we won't be able to discuss this properly.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Again, I understand your need to defend the game rather than express whatever your own opinions might be, so it's nothing personal or anything.
you know it but don't worry about it, I know you're just the mouth of the company on this matter so we won't be able to discuss this properly.

Nothing personal? Both these quotes are basically accusing me of lying and saying I can't discuss sensitive issues, which I find pretty insulting given how open and honest I am in every thread I participate in on GAF including this one.

I have no qualms defending a corporate or "industry" position, and I have done so openly in many a pricing, used game, piracy, or DLC on the disc thread. In this case I am correcting your misrepresentation of the mechanic.

You can't pay real money to get the high score in the game. Fact. The only thing real money let's you do, should you choose to spend it, is get to your own personal high score faster. There is no fundamental gameplay advantage that you can obtain via spending real money that non spending players cannot also obtain.

You know full well though that this mechanic is designed to get peoplentonspend money.

If the sole reason is to accommodate players of lesser skill, why aren't the retries free? How does charging for them improve the experience?

Because it is designed to help them out when they "need it" to reduce the punishment of failure, not designed as a permanent crutch for them to lean on.

And let's stop this rubbish "you don't need to pay" thing, because while that's technically true

Thank you for admitting that.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Is there any noteable game that offers both a f2p/iap and fully paid version?

Draw Something, and the just released sequel?

We've recently brought the free version of Flick Kick Football up to par with the paid version, so it has all the same modes, features, content, and IAP. The only difference is the free version has ads.

Or do you mean paid with no IAP at all paired with a free to play version with IAP? Not sure I can think of one.

Was this ever considered for RU2?

The original Robot Unicorn Attack being a free Flash game went much wider than the subsequent paid mobile versions. Adult Swim wanted to go a lot wider on mobile, so the plan was pretty much "free" from the outset so it could hit a bigger audience.

Adult Swim is motivated by eyeballs as much as revenue which makes them an interesting partner.

Draw Something, and the just released sequel?

We've recently brought the free version of Flick Kick Football up to par with the paid version, so it has all the same modes, features, content, and IAP. The only difference is the free version has ads.

Or do you mean paid with no IAP at all paired with a free to play version with IAP? Not sure I can think of one.

Yeah was thinking paid with no IAP paired with a IAP version.

Not really relevant in this case, and the model you used makes perfect sense. But I wonder If we'll see models like that down the road and if it'll be successful.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
But I wonder If we'll see models like that down the road and if it'll be successful.

There are enough developers and publishers in the market that I'm sure somebody will try it eventually. Indeed, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been tried already.

There wasn't any talk about that sort of strategy that I was exposed to at GDC though. Something to consider is you split your downloads that way, and that would make it harder to get visibility in the rankings, so it works against you in that sense.

There are enough developers and publishers in the market that I'm sure somebody will try it eventually. Indeed, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been tried already.

There wasn't any talk about that sort of strategy that I was exposed to at GDC though. Something to consider is you split your downloads that way, and that would make it harder to get visibility in the rankings, so it works against you in that sense.

True.

It might work better on the 720 or PS4 where that will probably be less of an issue. I could see somebody like EA going that way with something like Dragon Age 4.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
True.

It might work better on the 720 or PS4 where that will probably be less of an issue. I could see somebody like EA going that way with something like Dragon Age 4.

Yeah, I was thinking as you raised the question EA has the catalogue and muscle to give it a shot. Indeed, there was a lot of speculation around Real Racing 3, before and after release.

Though as you say, such an experiment might occur on PC or console before anything significant on mobile.

The original Robot Unicorn Attack being a free Flash game went much wider than the subsequent paid mobile versions. Adult Swim wanted to go a lot wider on mobile, so the plan was pretty much "free" from the outset so it could hit a bigger audience.

Adult Swim is motivated by eyeballs as much as revenue which makes them an interesting partner.

Thanks for an awesome game! I think RUA2 really makes the fun original joke-game into a full on game with progression and unlocks :D

And i would gladly pay for a version without ads, they are my only nitpick!

Shaneus

Do they allow swear words on the App Store reviews page? Because I'd only write one if my review simply said "Majestic. As. Fuck." (with five stars, of course).

BTW Do you know if anything will be done (I don't know how) to balance out the good/evil teaming? Because I started off with the white team, but once it was obvious that pretty much everyone went for the black team and there was no way that mine would ever win anything, I changed over. If there was a way to balance it that might work better and be a bit tighter, or maybe base it on averages per day rather than totals? Or how many the top 1,000 (or 10,000... whatever) have in total for each team? But yeah, as it is... it's kinda useless in practice (but a good idea that should definitely be fleshed out more).

Thank you for admitting that.

You moan because I accuse you of lying (which I didn't) and then deliberately misrepresent my quote. Amazing.

I didn't really want this to turn into a thing but I've lost a lot of respect for you here. I suppose it doesn't matter though because if this is where PikPok's games have gone then I won't be downloading them in future, so we can ignore one-another going forward.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
BTW Do you know if anything will be done (I don't know how) to balance out the good/evil teaming? Because I started off with the white team, but once it was obvious that pretty much everyone went for the black team and there was no way that mine would ever win anything, I changed over. If there was a way to balance it that might work better and be a bit tighter, or maybe base it on averages per day rather than totals? Or how many the top 1,000 (or 10,000... whatever) have in total for each team? But yeah, as it is... it's kinda useless in practice (but a good idea that should definitely be fleshed out more).

Yeah, we knew that would be an issue, and can do stuff server side along the lines you suggest. Just didn't think we'd need to do it so quickly :) Many more plans around that too which we'll hopefully get to implement if the title is successful.

Shaneus

I didn't really want this to turn into a thing but I've lost a lot of respect for you here. I suppose it doesn't matter though because if this is where PikPok's games have gone then I won't be downloading them in future, so we can ignore one-another going forward.
You know that most of the decisions weren't actually Pik Pok's, but Adult Swim's, yeah? At least, that's what I gathered from Mario's posts.

Yeah, we knew that would be an issue, and can do stuff server side along the lines you suggest. Just didn't think we'd need to do it so quickly :) Many more plans around that too which we'll hopefully get to implement if the title is successful.
Cheers, that sounds like an idea. Judging by the number of those things getting knocked over though, I'd say it's popular enough already ;)

colinp

Banned
This whole argument kind of gives me that feeling when your parents fight. Can't we all just kiss and make up and realize how much we love each other?

Shaneus

This whole argument kinds gives me that feeling when your parents fight. Can't we all just kiss and make up and realize how much we love each other?
My parents didn't love each other :(
Kidding! They're still married and have been for almost 40 years.

Hige

I get that it resets, but it still allows you to buy your way to a higher score. And yeah, I have about five hundred games I could be playing instead of RUA2 and so I do see it as a waste of my time if there's not really any goal worth shooting for, which is to say that the developer specifically removed the goal to make me pay for it.

If a score-chase game has no way to obtain high scores other than via my cash, there's no compulsion for me to practice and get better, and that's where I find fun in games.
Dude, quit being a drama queen. You're exaggerating to an obnoxious degree. I'm nearly at the top of the leader board without using the retry feature or even trying very hard for a high score. I'm #128 of 706,711 for Best Wish and #233 of 548,480 for Best 3 Wishes. Do some silly leader boards that get hacked to high heaven matter that much to you?

You moan because I accuse you of lying (which I didn't) and then deliberately misrepresent my quote. Amazing.

Your entire "exchange" here is just you presenting your opinion, without any explanation why it is your opinion, and not allowing any room for a fair rebuttal because "he has to defend it, he can't possibly be right". This is a shitstorm of your own making and you are the only one at fault. I still have no idea what you're going on about, but I'm inclined to believe Mario over you because you have the argumentative skills of a child.

Flunkie

Banned
When games like endless runners ask to use in-game currency to "continue" my current run to get a better score, I delete them. It's a shitty business practice. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. F2P games like Happy Street are different, having no competitive advantage by paying to accelerate your progress. What if Tiny Wings had an IAP to give you a little more daylight after your run was almost over? We couldn't do GAF challenges with that game then, because it's unfair.

That's all I'll say about the matter, as two very different opinions reside here. I understand both, but as a consumer, I lie in my respective camp.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm sorry to break up the party yo but Talisman Prologue had a motherfuckin' update, yo.

NkBBDyO.png

PittaGAF

I'm sorry to break up the party yo but Talisman Prologue had a motherfuckin' update, yo.

NkBBDyO.png

LOL.
I'm not updating just to manifest disappointment :)
(Game is awesome btw).

One more quest and I'll unlock the free mode....completed everything but the last priestess quest.

PittaGAF

Even funnier, after the update my icon looks exactly the same.

LOL.
Not that the game has a big footprint (on the contrary it's pretty amazing how tiny it is) but I sure hope it was an incremental update at least...

EDIT: just completed the game and unlocked the free mode (which is pretty hard too). Amazing game and ton of content (I've clocked surely more than 15 hours, and I'll play the free mode a lot now).

EDIT 2: Got the Crown of Command in free mode with the Assasin. Awesome :)

WoolyNinja

When games like endless runners ask to use in-game currency to "continue" my current run to get a better score, I delete them. It's a shitty business practice. I know I'm not alone in that sentiment. F2P games like Happy Street are different, having no competitive advantage by paying to accelerate your progress. What if Tiny Wings had an IAP to give you a little more daylight after your run was almost over? We couldn't do GAF challenges with that game then, because it's unfair.

That's all I'll say about the matter, as two very different opinions reside here. I understand both, but as a consumer, I lie in my respective camp.

This is where I think the misunderstanding is - you can't continue your current run as far as I understand it. You simply get to retry your previous run (aka wish). So if you aren't very good and only made it to 10,000 points and died... if you retry the wish you start again at 0 and still have to use your skill to get a better score. You don't start back at 10,000.

Hope that clears this up a little?

Flunkie

Banned
This is where I think the misunderstanding is - you can't continue your current run as far as I understand it. You simply get to retry your previous run (aka wish). So if you aren't very good and only made it to 10,000 points and died... if you retry the wish you start again at 0 and still have to use your skill to get a better score. You don't start back at 10,000.

Hope that clears this up a little?
I wasn't speaking about any specific games, just in general. I haven't played either of those unicorn games.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I got the ice world unlocked and one of the fast horse bodies, the UV N-7 whatever number one, man RUA2 really shines at high speeds.

Is the ice world meant to be harder than the sky world? Feels that way. Also, the planet in the background is totally "inspired by"/Courascant lifted from Star Wars.

Also finally cracked 100k score.

I noticed today that scoreboards in unicorn 2 are separate for 3 and 4 wish players, that is really good and sorry that I never noticed before, it really helps.

I've had a few iphone 5 crashes with the game today, the biggest one is returning to the game after pressing the home button and not returning for an hour or so, you resume your game but about 30 seconds in the game will just crash and close.

Some other times the game has just crashed for no reason, I don't think it's a ram problem as nothing is ever left in my tray most of the time.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I got the ice world unlocked and one of the fast horse bodies, the UV N-7 whatever number one, man RUA2 really shines at high speeds.

Glad you continue to enjoy it.

Is the ice world meant to be harder than the sky world?

I don't think so, but the randomness of the daily levels may make it feel that way sometimes.

Diablohead said:
I've had a few iphone 5 crashes with the game today, the biggest one is returning to the game after pressing the home button and not returning for an hour or so, you resume your game but about 30 seconds in the game will just crash and close.

Some other times the game has just crashed for no reason, I don't think it's a ram problem as nothing is ever left in my tray most of the time.

The team is chasing down some crashes now. Should have a build in to fix instability soon.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is talisman prologue better than th Lego batman one?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
When is the next iOS challenge? I thought we were having one in April :(

I know, just got back from London and .i had a lot of crap to catch up with, sorry! :(

Were meant to have one this week but Dash got delayed and we missed our "week" window.

Soon.

I've seen your iMessage yesterday, meant to reply but I forgot, dang.
Let's start the new one in March, just to avoid confusion. I also have an idea which I'll explain to you via iMessage, could be cool I think.

PittaGAF

Is talisman prologue better than th Lego batman one?

Hmmmm....they are completely different genres?
Talisman is a solo reinterpretation of the original boardgame, which was a light boardgame with a TON of dice rolling involved on a classic fantasy setting.
This solo reinterpretation is imho very well done, they captured very well the core of the game using 'quests' for each characters (generally the first 3 are pretty introductionary to familiarize with the various abilities, the 4 and 5 are where the meat is).

Lego Batman is .... a standard Lego game in the Batman setting? (I do not have the game).

Ok, I'm fixing to drop the money on Talisman. Is it universal?

Yes it is.
If ytou set up in the options a ScoreLoop account it has multi platform sync too (like iCloud sync, but crossplatform with Android, Kindle, PC...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom