• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
"$1 per post. $5 for 8 posts. $10 for 20 posts. More than one post per-hour, $3"

tumblr_m9ybmcNuA21qbecpdo1_500.gif

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Let all your shops go out of stock. Build loads of bus stops. Keep restocking your (hopefully level 2) fortune wheel.

You'll make LOADS of Flooz that way. You'll have to actually sit and play the game for a few hours though.

(Mine actually says they still have two weeks left to run)
So that's why a town I visited had like 15 bus stops in a row. I was like, 'The fuck?'

Goli

Square Enix sure has been quiet on iOS...I thought it was supposed to be the FF Mobile Revolution or something like that

FFV is coming to iOS, and FFT is getting an "HD" upgrade.
This year they've already released FF ATB and CD+. Plus, a new update is coming to Guardian Cross soon. I think they've been pretty busy.

Not to mention the fact that they're probably developing other big scale original iOS titles, since the SiSiLaLa Overdrive website still has space for like three games.

They said that FFT and the other big titles will get a permanent price cut sometime this spring.

Here's hoping.
They did?

Talon

They did?
Yeah, I think it might've been a WIRED | Game Life post. Basically saying that they've fucked up with their pricing across the board, so they'll be lowering prices going forward.

They cut prices in Japan already, I believe.

Goli

Yeah, I think it might've been a WIRED | Game Life post. Basically saying that they've fucked up with their pricing across the board, so they'll be lowering prices going forward.

They cut prices in Japan already, I believe.

The pricing for all of their games on every region is the same as per the pricing matrix, except for Demons' Score which doesn't have IAP in the Japanese release and Final Fantasy Tactics that had its price lowered to match the Android version which is only downloadable via Square Enix's SE Market as of now.
But they have been lowering the price of games more frequently now, in fact...
-The whole Chaos Rings series is on sale now.
-FF and FF II were on sale for half the price a few weeks ago.
-Crystal Defenders Plus launched with the IAP to unlock every map at half the price.
-FFT is probably getting its price cut permanently once the HD patch hits
-FFD got a 10 USD price cut for the IAP that unlocks the full game, each chapter's price also got cut and so did the Chiptune BGM IAP.
Their games are still way more expensive than your standard iOS games, but I think they're worth it, and if that post is to be believed, then things can only get better from here.
And now, I anxiously await FFT HD and FFV for my iPhone!

Edit: They also made free the second chapter of Drakerider, which was previously like 7 bucks. And I just noticed that TWEWY for iPad is slightly pricier in Japan.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wanna get you guys' opinion on something again, after using you as guinea pigs for my App Store Update videos last week. I'm testing out a new "In 3 Minutes" video format for iOS games. These would replace standard long-form reviews for those particular products:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/01/game-brief-gravity-duck

Is this format useful? Is the video informative to you in making a purchase decision? Too long/short? All feedback welcome. Trying to strike a balance between getting people in and out of the article as quickly as possible, while still being informative enough to be valuable.

To be clear, big products will still be getting full reviews. I'm just trying to template some new editorial products that can cut through the noise and help gamers out, and still scale up easily in volume.

Wanna get you guys' opinion on something again, after using you as guinea pigs for my App Store Update videos last week. I'm testing out a new "In 3 Minutes" video format for iOS games. These would replace standard long-form reviews for those particular products:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/01/game-brief-gravity-duck

Is this format useful? Is the video informative to you in making a purchase decision? Too long/short? All feedback welcome. Trying to strike a balance between getting people in and out of the article as quickly as possible, while still being informative enough to be valuable.

To be clear, big products will still be getting full reviews. I'm just trying to template some new editorial products that can cut through the noise and help gamers out, and still scale up easily in volume.

Yeah I like that style and found it useful. It is just the right length and I'll generally know if there is a chance I'll be interested in the game or not. A AVP one would be pretty handy right now.

Btw, how would I find these videos (beyond regularly checking IGN..)? Is there a page that lists them in order or a RSS feed or something?

One note on Gravity Duck that I didn't mention earlier is that it is a little disappointing that there isn't any optional briefcases or time challenges/scores like in the devs earlier games. In this respect it is a bit more bare boned. However after playing through the first two chapters, I can still safely recommend it for some tricky platforming fun.

Baldurs Gate update! Get your 4.5GBs ready.

Five new class kits: Dwarven Defender, Shadowdancer, Dragon Disciple, Dark Moon Monk and Sun Soul Monk
Item charges now displayed inside the inventory
Auto-pause enabled on map screen
Items appear over character portraits when used
Store items which the player can't afford are greyed out
Players able to raise each other at temples (Multiplayer)
Journal entries may now be edited
Notes may now be copied to the journal
Various minor UI fixes

+shitload of bug fixes

All looks good. Are the kits IAP?

PFD

All looks good. Are the kits IAP?

As far as I know, nope. Only IAPs are the avatars and the bonus companions.

The AVP game is surprisingly fun. It's an action 3rd person game with experience points, combos, blocking, special moves, etc. and there's a ton of possible upgrades (for alien and predator separately.) The story feels tacked on, showing mostly through loading screen text. The graphics and performance are quite good (ipad 4).

Beware though, as the game does have IAPs (to buy in game currency.) It looks like they're mostly there to cheat your way to upgrades, but I can't tell yet.

muddream

Banned

Yes, Yes, Neither.

As far as I know, nope. Only IAPs are the avatars and the bonus companions.

Can confirm the new class kits in Baldurs Gate are not IAP. Although they are not as much fun in 1 than in 2 (because you never really get powerful enough) it is great to see some more diverse options.

Thanks for the avp impressions. Will watch for a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom