• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kottila

Annonse tried the new star wars tablet in Zen pinball? Are the physics consitently wonky across all tables or dose it vary? Played the captain america table and the ball movement feels off.

Edit: autocorrect messed up the post

Rat Salad

Banned
Annonse tried the new star wars tablet in Zen pinball? Are the physics consitently wonky across all tables or dose it vary? Platina the captain america table the ball movember feels off

Maybe. Sometimes the ball speed seems too unrealstic. Like instead of bouncing off a bumper at a predictable speed it suddenly has this weird glitch but the speed ramps up, like some weird hiccup.

Minsc

Gold Member
Annonse tried the new star wars tablet in Zen pinball? Are the physics consitently wonky across all tables or dose it vary? Platina the captain america table the ball movember feels off

Hopefully by the time the iPhone 5S/6 is released later this year they will finally decide to update the app to support the iPhone 5 resolution, Pinball Arcade supported it from the first month (even though the camera angles were bugged and subsequently fixed, it at least used the full screen). It's annoying to lose when you tap the screen but in the extra area the game doesn't recognize. Should really be trivial to just extend the rendering area of the game.

chris121580

Just finished The Silent Age and loved every minute of it. Game is fantastic and the storyline is very intriguing. Looking forward to episode 2. It's a no brainer to grab it since it's free

What does the puzzle craft update do? I uninstalled it

Edit: stopped being lazy, it has lots of new stuff like buildings and workers. Nice.

Shame I do not have my save :(

Off topic-but has anyone had an issue with their phone not syncing auotmatically when you plug it in to iTunes? iTunes recognizes it-the setting is checked to auto-sync when conencted-yet it never does. I always have to manually click the "sync" button

Minsc

Gold Member
Eh...the first game was pretty good, but the trailer for the new one looked pretty corny.

I'm confused, the gameplay looks exactly the same with a better UI. Maybe that's why people aren't excited though, just more of the same. It was/is always a pretty niche genre too, slot-rpg. There's what, this, that other old school one with the awful grind towards the end, Battle Slots, and that's about it I think.

Heel

I'm confused, the gameplay looks exactly the same with a better UI. Maybe that's why people aren't excited though, just more of the same. It was/is always a pretty niche genre too, slot-rpg. There's what, this, that other old school one with the awful grind towards the end, Battle Slots, and that's about it I think.

Maybe I'm just forgetting details of the original, but the aesthetic and setting of the sequel just seems...bad, at least from the footage I've seen. That art.

You could give Tower of Fortune a try. Not bad at all for a dollar. There's a pseudo-sequel War of Eclipse that I haven't tried yet. I don't think it uses slots, though.

sladeums

I've been playing my pre-release copy of King Cashing 2 since last week and am diggin' it.
I may be somewhat biased, since I have a cameo in this one, but it's certainly as enjoyable as the first.

Besides the style change, which I think people are going to be split on whether or not it's an improvement, there are enough mechanics changes to set it apart from the first game.

There seems to be a lot more items/loot, probably because many of the weapons have added special abilities.

There are more character classes - 7 now, compared to 3 in the first game.
Classes are now equipped separately from weapons, unlike the first game where equipped weapons were tied to a class.
Then each class has a weapon specialty, so it matters how you mix your equipped classes and weapons while keeping in mind specific enemy weaknesses or resistances.

Not sure, I may have just been lucky, but it seems like the need to grind set in a little later than in the first game.

The story is pretty thin ... I had hoped with the comic format they had a little more narrative to go on but there's not much there.

Doesn't seem to be a real long game, but it looks like more content is coming.

Recommended if you enjoyed the first ... probably won't change your mind if you didn't.

ToxicAdam

I've been playing my pre-release copy of King Cashing 2 since last week and am diggin' it.
I may be somewhat biased, since I have a cameo in this one, but it's certainly as enjoyable as the first.

Recommended if you enjoyed the first ... probably won't change your mind if you didn't.

That's great to hear. Thanks for the review.

Megasoum

Banned
Started playing Year Walk and yeah....don't think it's for me. I like puzzles but I hate games where there's too many choices where to go and I hate the feeling of being lost.

It's balls. Super sloppy, really phoned-in, and just generally crap. It's gone none of the humour or hyperactive energy of the console game. Avoid it.

INSTEAD! Get this: The Silent Age, a free point and click adventure with Day of the Tentacle-style time travelling puzzles.

silentage-02.jpg

App Store
My article

Finished this today. Since DOTT is one of my favorite games ever it's no surprise that I liked this game. Looking forward to the next episode.

I'll purchase a game and provide impressions as a loose guide to the potential purchasing decision of others with the application named gravity.duck $0.99.

capture29uj7.png

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id599272198?mt=8

I liked League of Evil, less so LOE2 but it was solid enough. Those action games are just about as good as you will get on an iphone with touch controls I feel.

This game is basically VVvvvvVVVV or whatever it is where you switch gravity up and down. You need to get to the end of the level avoiding spikes and other obstacles. You are also a duck.

The engine is solid as ever and so are the controls. I've ran through the first set of levels and they are nicely put together. Nothing too earth shattering and given the heritage I wouldn't expect things to get too crazy. There are elements like rotational blocks and enemies like worms to keep things interesting. Overall it feels well put together.

Pretty much if you have played one of their previous games and enjoyed it, I would recommend this as well. If you have not? Try Random Heroes (free) which may give you an idea of the style. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/random-heroes/id540353158?mt=8

PFD

I'll purchase a game and provide impressions as a loose guide to the potential purchasing decision of others with the application named gravity.duck $0.99.

capture29uj7.png

I liked League of Evil, less so LOE2 but it was solid enough. Those action games are just about as good as you will get on an iphone with touch controls I feel.

This game is basically VVvvvvVVVV or whatever it is where you switch gravity up and down. You need to get to the end of the level avoiding spikes and other obstacles. You are also a duck.

The engine is solid as ever and so are the controls. I've ran through the first set of levels and they are nicely put together. Nothing too earth shattering and given the heritage I wouldn't expect things to get too crazy. There are elements like rotational blocks and enemies like worms to keep things interesting. Overall it feels well put together.

Pretty much if you have played one of their previous games and enjoyed it, I would recommend this as well. If you have not? Try Random Heroes (free) which may give you an idea of the style. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/random-heroes/id540353158?mt=8

That looks cool. Thanks for the detailed review.

Thanks.

Has anyone tried Backflip Madness?

I've probably put an hour+ into it. Simple and dumb but somewhat addicting. There's not much to it to really say. You unlock extra backflips but I maxed those out within something like thirty minutes of play. You can change which backflip you do and other than adding a second backflip there's not much else to that for how it affects scoring or anything. It controls well enough as it's just a simple button press and timing based. The levels are really basic and it's not a pretty game but it doesn't really need to be. I'd say it feels pretty physics friendly as I rarely feel like the game cheated me out of a landing and instead I get pleasantly surprised when something that looks like I shouldn't have stuck a landing actually is counted.

I feel like I'm getting my $1 worth. It's tough to say much bad about it since it's a simple time waster. Reminds me of something like a simple flash game from years past like those that had you throwing balls of paper in a trash can or hitting stuff and trying to max the power and angle for distance. It's a time waster with some variety to the jumps it has you do and I've found myself laughing at the dumb stuff I've done in the game.

ToxicAdam

I was able to snag King Cashing 2 from the Canadian store, it's really great.

I don't want to burn through it too fast so im going to quit for the night, but I really like the art style and how they flipped the roles of who the player controls. Everything else Is pretty much the same, except just more options, etc.

Te only cons I can say is that the inventory screen is a little too busy at first and some of the descriptions of the items are a little vague for a newbie.

If you like Puzzle Quest types of games, you should give this a try.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I was able to snag King Cashing 2 from the Canadian store, it's really great.

I don't want to burn through it too fast so im going to quit for the night, but I really like the art style and how they flipped the roles of who the player controls. Everything else Is pretty much the same, except just more options, etc.

Te only cons I can say is that the inventory screen is a little too busy at first and some of the descriptions of the items are a little vague for a newbie.

If you like Puzzle Quest types of games, you should give this a try.

I enjoyed the first enough to at least finish it quickly, so I'll keep an eye on it for future price drops. Didn't even know it existed, thanks.

Hey guys, i haven't bought anything for my Iphone in the last 4-5 months or so. Can someone please hook me up with the games i missed in the last 5 months? I play every kind of games so anything is welcome.

ToxicAdam

Hey guys, i haven't bought anything for my Iphone in the last 4-5 months or so. Can someone please hook me up with the games i missed in the last 5 months? I play every kind of games so anything is welcome.

In the OP there are links to previous monthly threads. Each one has a small recommendation list in the OPs.

Trin

capture29uj7.png

Do you know if the mobile version content is unique or if it's just a port from the free browser version and its sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom