• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
In PvZ you die if you fall asleep, in Samurai Bloodshow you die more often then you win, and it's usually because you didn't react correctly to any number of a wide mix of situations that you can encounter, such as you lost units when you should have reinforced or switched lanes or even sent your units off to clear summoners earlier / later than you did. So if you're looking for challenge in a lane-defense style game, Bloodshow is a much better choice.

You even need to think a bit about placement in regards to lane switching because of the movement limitations of the various units, some can only move diagonals, others verticals and a then a mix of those.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bloodshow seems interesting, albeit pricey. Is the campaign longer or shorter than PvZ's?

It depends on how far you play it I guess, I think it's supposed to be clocked at around 100 hours for completing it fully (also the bulk of PvZ's hours come from the tons of various mini games and other games, while Bloodshow is basically all the same thing). There's 20 levels with 5 different difficulty settings each (completing the harder difficulties yields special prizes sometimes, like specific cards or health or other abilities), but that's the "easy" portion of the game. Once you clear that another world (100 more levels I think) unlocks where the difficulty is cranked up significantly and you'll need much better strategies / cards to survive (there might even be a third world, I can't remember). The first world should be easy enough to finish without buying any card packs, and you don't need to buy card packs to get any specific cards afaik, you have a small chance of getting any card in the game for free everytime you win or lose (this might vary to some extent on the level you're playing). This is the original release, I've never played Alexandria Bloodshow, as I'm still working through the first game (got around 60% through it).

forgeforsaken said:
You even need to think a bit about placement in regards to lane switching because of the movement limitations of the various units, some can only move diagonals, others verticals and a then a mix of those.

That and iirc switching lanes uses points that you could be upgrading/getting new units from cards with, so if you hop around too much you're also penalized by not being able to afford more units in the battle.

Fjordson

Anyone here beaten Space Agency? This is a little embarrassing, but I'm stuck on the sixth training mission :lol

I'm in orbit around Earth and have to maneuver my vehicle into this little green square. But the square is just outside of Earth's orbit so I can't get to it. If I try to accelerate fast enough to leave orbit, the green square disappears. I'm so confused right now =[

Megasoum

Banned
Anyone here beaten Space Agency? This is a little embarrassing, but I'm stuck on the sixth training mission :lol

I'm in orbit around Earth and have to maneuver my vehicle into this little green square. But the square is just outside of Earth's orbit so I can't get to it. If I try to accelerate fast enough to leave orbit, the green square disappears. I'm so confused right now =[

The game doesn't use real physics. If you want to raise your orbit you need to turn your ship to point toward space and fire the engine. And always make sure that your velocity never goes into the red, this is escape velocity and you will leave orbit.

Fjordson

The game doesn't use real physics. If you want to raise your orbit you need to turn your ship to point toward space and fire the engine. And always make sure that your velocity never goes into the red, this is escape velocity and you will leave orbit.
Oh man, didn't notice that was changing my orbit. Thanks. The directions were a little vague, so I was so damn confused :lol

wilflare

just thought I'll do a little heads-up for a fantastic dev with a beautiful game releasing this week.

Penumbear by Taco Graveyard!
In Penumbear, you are a koala that walks on the line between light and shadow. You turn lights on and off, hopping from shadow to shadow, as you find your way from room to room. In addition to an array of lighting sources, a variety of dangers stand in your way creating a puzzle out of every room.
http://penumbear.tacograveyard.com

The Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ2XO2I-hfQ

I was not very active during the beta test but during the times I played it, I was really impressed by the art and the whole atmosphere.

Coming to the App Store on February 28th!

and here's a wallpaper to go along!
promo_iPhone_960.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

atre324

Sweet, finally got 155/155 in Pixel People! I play a fair amount of Freemium games and I really enjoyed this one, I kinda like how you can just power through it with few/no purchases (I spent 1.99 on that one upgrade).

I have about 2 or 3 more expansions to finish decorating my town but I have it set up just how I like it, with some room for updates. Still have a bunch of animals to get but I'll probably get bored with it first.

Anyone else "finish"? I really wish you could visit other people's worlds...

edit: oh wait does this have its own OT?

Zia

Jesus Christ at the Slide To Play Year Walk review:

Other games, like The Room, have managed to find a happy medium between challenging puzzles and rewarding solutions. But too often, Year Walk tucks the puzzle solutions away where they’re annoyingly hard to find.

And that’s too bad, because Year Walk is a gorgeous, atmospheric game. Will appeal to a certain type of player? Absolutely. But we found it too cryptic and frustrating for our tastes. Thankfully, several online walkthroughs have already sprung up, so even if you find yourself stuck you can see how it ends. And whether you need assistance or not, be prepared to do a lot of reading in the Companion app before you reach the “real” ending.

That's humiliating.

I obviously have a lot of love for Year Walk, but it certainly does not have challenging or complex puzzles.

Complex? No, not once you know what you are supposed to be doing. But as they say in the review, you will not necessarily have any idea what that actually is and can instead spend a lot of time just wondering around touching things until you get lucky or figure it out.

For example: (very early game spoiler)
I figured that you needed to turn the dolls head, but I just didn't turn it "far enough". So I spent a heap of time wondering around the environment looking for other things I was supposed to do. When I eventually worked it out, it wasn't a "wow I got it" moment, it was a "well that was annoying, how was I supposed to know that?" feeling.

Personally I didn't like that approach to the puzzles and I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest others would have the same issue.

Zia

Obviously that is an opinion, isn't it?

Not... really, if you have rudimentary experience playing video games. They're really basic exploratory and logic puzzles with some clever twists and musical elements. But I guess it's easy to overestimate the base that gobbles up whatever Cow Clicker of the week.

bonesquad

I didn't find the puzzles in Year Walk hard or frustrating either. If anything I found many of them to be quite clever. Well, early on I did wander around lost for a bit. I will say maybe the start could be made clearer, but I think that's part of the point/experience. Plus once I did figure out that first puzzle
spinning doll head?
I rolled from there. Never once feeling frustrated or close to consulting a guide. The game isn't very long either.

I think it's possible someone reviewing the game could be in a hurry and give up if they didn't instantly know what to do. Which is odd because I finished everything in under 90 minutes with no help (including reading all of the companion).

Or maybe I'm just smarter
luckier?
than most people:)

Ranger X

just thought I'll do a little heads-up for a fantastic dev with a beautiful game releasing this week.

Penumbear by Taco Graveyard!

http://penumbear.tacograveyard.com

The Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ2XO2I-hfQ

I was not very active during the beta test but during the times I played it, I was really impressed by the art and the whole atmosphere.

Coming to the App Store on February 28th!

and here's a wallpaper to go along!

oh wow! will totally play this!

colinp

Banned
Be prepared to...gasp...READ!!!

Mock the idea all you want but my gf lost interest completely once I opened up the Companion app after we played through it once. English isn't her first language but she enjoyed the atmosphere and puzzles in the game proper without any trouble.

Meanwhile, she was able to finish and thoroughly enjoy The Room. I think that is what the Slide To Play review was getting at.

I'm not saying Year Walk is not a great game. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it was a fantastic experience. But you kids need to stop being so conceited and think that anyone who does not accept Year Walk as their Lord and savior is an idiot.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Complex? No, not once you know what you are supposed to be doing. But as they say in the review, you will not necessarily have any idea what that actually is and can instead spend a lot of time just wondering around touching things until you get lucky or figure it out.

For example: (very early game spoiler)
I figured that you needed to turn the dolls head, but I just didn't turn it "far enough". So I spent a heap of time wondering around the environment looking for other things I was supposed to do. When I eventually worked it out, it wasn't a "wow I got it" moment, it was a "well that was annoying, how was I supposed to know that?" feeling.

Personally I didn't like that approach to the puzzles and I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest others would have the same issue.
If there was no visual cue
that you had to keep spinning
I'd agree with you, but for me it was totally an "I got it!" moment because you can
notice the rope above the head getting longer, and the doll's head getting closer to the body
. It's subtle but it's there.

I dislike when this type of game has random solutions, but with YW the only time I felt that way was when trying to find where to go next once or twice, but that usually didn't take long since the play area is very small.

edit: I feel bad that people can find reading
the journal in the companion app to reach the real ending
to be frustrating, because to me it was just brilliant. I can understand it though.

Mock the idea all you want but my gf lost interest completely once I opened up the Companion app after we played through it once. English isn't her first language but she enjoyed the atmosphere and puzzles in the game proper without any trouble.

Meanwhile, she was able to finish and thoroughly enjoy The Room. I think that is what the Slide To Play review was getting at.

I'm not saying Year Walk is not a great game. I thoroughly enjoyed it and think it was a fantastic experience. But you kids need to stop being so conceited and think that anyone who does not accept Year Walk as their Lord and savior is an idiot.

Kids? Ok you infant.

tumblr_lzin8itHkT1qhya5no1_400.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If there was no visual cue
that you had to keep spinning
I'd agree with you, but for me it was totally an "I got it!" moment because you can
notice the rope above the head getting longer, and the doll's head getting closer to the body
. It's subtle but it's there.

I dislike when this type of game has random solutions, but with YW the only time I felt that way was when trying to find where to go next once or twice, but that usually didn't take long since the play area is very small.

edit: I feel bad that people can find reading
the journal in the companion app to reach the real ending
to be frustrating, because to me it was just brilliant. I can understand it though.

I agree, I thought the Companion app was a really clever device actually. It not only gave 'real world' context and info about Year Walking but
I actually found it really exciting when I realised those shapes had been hidden in some of the pics. It was a satisfying moment of revelation and discovery and it's always impressive when a game can make you feel that emotion for real.

So yeah, I reserve the right to think less of people who get upset by 15 minutes of reading.

I agree, I thought the Companion app was a really clever device actually. It not only gave 'real world' context and info about Year Walking but
I actually found it really exciting when I realised those shapes had been hidden in some of the pics. It was a satisfying moment of revelation and discovery and it's always impressive when a game can make you feel that emotion for real.

So yeah, I reserve the right to think less of people who get upset by 15 minutes of reading.

efe84_ORIG-predator_handshake.gif

Manax

Sweet, finally got 155/155 in Pixel People! I play a fair amount of Freemium games and I really enjoyed this one, I kinda like how you can just power through it with few/no purchases (I spent 1.99 on that one upgrade).

I have about 2 or 3 more expansions to finish decorating my town but I have it set up just how I like it, with some room for updates. Still have a bunch of animals to get but I'll probably get bored with it first.

Anyone else "finish"? I really wish you could visit other people's worlds...

edit: oh wait does this have its own OT?

Just reached 155 today as well, in the end was spending my coins on fast mutations while saving all the utopium I got from my tree farm. Really enjoying it (haven't spent anything though)

Not sure what i'm going to do now but probably shoot for achievements and fill all the buildings with people for max coin production while we wait for an update which is clearly coming.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
That's ok.
No need to edit my post in the quote, I didn't want to be confrontational and just wanted to point out that there was a way to know what's supposed to be done in that part. In any case, this is a game that will vary wildly when it comes to each personal experience with it, so all of them are just as valid.

No need to edit my post in the quote, I didn't want to be confrontational and just wanted to point out that there was a way to know what's supposed to be done in that part. In any case, this is a game that will vary wildly when it comes to each personal experience with it, so all of them are just as valid.

Not sure I get you, because I didn't edit your quote? I was just replying to the part of it where you disagreed with me. As I said I don't have a problem with that because I'm sure many people will feel the same. Maybe I was being too subtle in not being confrontational myself ;)

My original issue was the calling out of a review/opinion as embarrassing which I believe is a wrong thing to do.

colinp

Banned
Not sure I get you, because I didn't edit your quote? I was just replying to the part of it where you disagreed with me. As I said I don't have a problem with that because I'm sure many people will feel the same.

My original issue was the calling out of a review/opinion as embarrassing which I believe is a wrong thing to do.

I agree.

Zia

Because I thought it to be a factually inaccurate review, from someone that didn't seem to want to play the game all that much. I'm certainly not alone, as there are a bunch of professional critics piling on it on Twitter right now -- it's a bad, inarticulate review, and I'm saddened to see people defending it here. If you want something to validate your opinion, one of the first reviews posted to Metacritic was a mediocre review that was thoughtful, and perfectly articulated any issues the reviewer had with the game. Which weren't, you know, "Had to read. Game did not hold my hand."

I don't really feel the need to discuss it anymore though, as people seem to be offended. I was genuinely shocked as it's a game all the "non-gamers" in my life made it through in about an hour. I felt like I stepped into an alternate dimension when I heard people here also found it too frustrating, but that is fine. My intent wasn't to judge you, just the text of what's supposed to be a professional review.

PittaGAF

Personally I find disheartening that NO HAND HOLDING is a CON in the SlideToPlay review...but...whatever...everyone is entitled to their own opinion (IMHO Year Walk is an easy game...and The Room is a cakewalk...both are great games tough).
I find this even more strange considering STP gave Riven (a FREAKING DIFFICULT GAME that had me stuck for MONTHS) a 4/4 review and noted the MIND BENDING PUZZLES as PLUS.

Personally I find disheartening that NO HAND HOLDING is a CON in the SlideToPlay review...but...whatever...everyone is entitled to their own opinion (IMHO Year Walk is an easy game...and The Room is a cakewalk...both are great games tough).
I find this even more strange considering STP gave Riven (a FREAKING DIFFICULT GAME that had me stuck for MONTHS) a 4/4 review and noted the MIND BENDING PUZZLES as PLUS.

From the review I took that the context of no hand holding being a con, is that whilst you are figuring things out, the game just isn't much fun to play around with (see the room). I happen to agree with that but that is just a taste thing.

Also remember the riven review was from a long time ago and a different person. The value from opinions in reviews is knowing the author and how closely your tastes align.

I obviously have a lot of love for Year Walk, but it certainly does not have challenging or complex puzzles.

The game provides very little context in terms of WHAT constitutes a contribution toward a puzzle's solution.

That's my biggest problem with it.

Remember that awful gyroscope puzzle in the Room? Same thing...if you don't know which aspects of the interface or presentation can inform the solving of a puzzle then I see it as a failed opportunity.

I'm enjoying the game, but I had to look up help for both of the first puzzles.

PFD

The game provides very little context in terms of WHAT constitutes a contribution toward a puzzle's solution.

That's my biggest problem with it.

Remember that awful gyroscope puzzle in the Room? Same thing...if you don't know which aspects of the interface or presentation can inform the solving of a puzzle then I see it as a failed opportunity.

I'm enjoying the game, but I had to look up help for both of the first puzzles.

I agree with this. The atmosphere and art in the game are top notch, but the puzzle design is lacking.
Only part that wow'd me was the sound puzzle inside the tree, that was cool.
Very creepy game though!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Because I thought it to be a factually inaccurate review, from someone that didn't seem to want to play the game all that much. I'm certainly not alone, as there are a bunch of professional critics piling on it on Twitter right now -- it's a bad, inarticulate review, and I'm saddened to see people defending it here. If you want something to validate your opinion, one of the first reviews posted to Metacritic was a mediocre review that was thoughtful, and perfectly articulated any issues the reviewer had with the game. Which weren't, you know, "Had to read. Game did not hold my hand."

I don't really feel the need to discuss it anymore though, as people seem to be offended. I was genuinely shocked as it's a game all the "non-gamers" in my life made it through in about an hour. I felt like I stepped into an alternate dimension when I heard people here also found it too frustrating, but that is fine. My intent wasn't to judge you, just the text of what's supposed to be a professional review.

I agree with you. I just read the STP review and your point about the review not wanting to play the game is, I think, spot on. I think it's certainly a game you need to be in the right frame of mind to play. When I downloaded it I wasn't in the mood for a slow, thinky experience so I waited until I was. And then I romped through it and loved every second.

I don't think the puzzles were that obtuse at all. They relied on real 'play', the idea of just trying stuff to see what happens. Even in the first (seemingly impossible) box puzzle, I was spinning it round and listening for clicks and... playing. And so I don't think the game is hard really, it just requires a little creative thinking and a knowledge of the rules of iOS (and how they can be broken). I thought the hardest puzzle was
matching the pitches in the dark. I foudn this quite stressful since I was trapped in the environment, but being trapped also made me stick at it and made it even more rewarding when I figured out what it was asking and executed on it

That review was incredibly surface-y and ignorant. This game deserves far far more than a 2 out of 4. It's elegant and special.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I agree with this. The atmosphere and art in the game are top notch, but the puzzle design is lacking.
Only part that wow'd me was the sound puzzle inside the tree, that was cool.
Very creepy game though!

Actually the one that really wowed me was
having to drag the screen to catch the baby. That was really clever and I loved how it was using the springy scrolling that iOS uses a lot as a gameplay mechanic. It was one of those puzzles that opens up what the game could even be and gives you a sense that you're operating outside the limits of how the game should work

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If people are happy with me, shall I command the March iOS GAF thread as well? :)

Currently brainstorming some ideas for a refined look to the OP.

Flunkie

Banned
Go for it Smiff, unless Dash wants to crash the party.

I'd love to join this Year Walk circlejerk but I haven't finished it yet. :lol

BluWacky

I am ashamed to admit that I can't even find a puzzle to solve in Year Walk. And I have a degree from Oxford and mainline point and click games like nobody's business...

All I've managed to do so far is
try tapping the owls by the tree in the same pattern that the monolith plays, but it did nothing
. I didn't realise you could
turn the head on the hanging doll
!

This tends to be my problem with adventure games - it's not figuring out the puzzles per se, it's finding them in the first place...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Haven't finished Year Walk either but through it I've come to realise I'm an emotionless soulless bastard. Hard to guesstimate how far I've gotten but so far nothing has been creepy about this at all to me (I'm playing with headphones on an iPad). It's a beautiful holistic experience and brilliantly constructed, but creepy/scary? No. Nej.

I admit I am semi-familiar with the lore it tangles with, having studied it in school in my youth as the native Swede that I am, but I'm not sure that would evaporate the scariness level that people are talking about here on its own...

Anyway, hoping to finish it this coming weekend.

PittaGAF

I am ashamed to admit that I can't even find a puzzle to solve in Year Walk. And I have a degree from Oxford and mainline point and click games like nobody's business...

All I've managed to do so far is
try tapping the owls by the tree in the same pattern that the monolith plays, but it did nothing
. I didn't realise you could
turn the head on the hanging doll
!

This tends to be my problem with adventure games - it's not figuring out the puzzles per se, it's finding them in the first place...

If doing so you are enjoying the trip...do stick with it.
The world isn't vast and puzzles aren't that many...so in some hours you will figure it out...then the already atmospheric and captivating game will skyrocket.
At least this happened to me.
Do not be tempted to read the 'what and where'...you will 'lose' 1-2 hours at most...but getting lost in the snow is the point of the game experience imho.

Rat Salad

Banned
Not feeling Zen's Star Wars pinball all that much . My main problem is most of the voices used in the game arent from the original Empire Strikes Back film.Theyre soundalikes. Some decent but I want the genuine article damnit :b But its still a decent game for 2 bucks.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If people are happy with me, shall I command the March iOS GAF thread as well? :)

Currently brainstorming some ideas for a refined look to the OP.
Not really feeling you as an OP. Your threads always leave something to be desired and you also snubbed my subtitle in January's OT. I guess if I had to rate you as an OP it would be 1 and 1/2 stars, the 1 star for your username and 1/2 because I am feeling generous.

Next!

;) keep up the great work brother

chiablo

Not really feeling you as an OP. Your threads always leave something to be desired and you also snubbed my subtitle in January's OT. I guess if I had to rate you as an OP it would be 1 and 1/2 stars, the 1 star for your username and 1/2 because I am feeling generous.

Next!

;) keep up the great work brother

Jackben? More like JackBAN!

I'd also like to suggest my OT thread name again "Don't ask about Star Command or Phoenix Wright"

I suggested it last month and someone was like "Oh-I know that Star Command IS coming out in February!"

And here we are again.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Am I one of the few people that played Year Walk fairly systematically? Went down all the paths in order making metal note of the landmarks, by the time I was doing stuff at the river I had a good idea where everything was. In fact it would have been cool if they'd added a degree of randomness in there too, I like getting lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom