• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

Whats the devs twitter feed? Interested to see how it's looking.

Here you can find some hires screenshots published long ago when it was announced.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-21-warhammer-quest-iphone-and-ipad-game-announced

Here are the devs twitters.

https://twitter.com/RodeoGames

https://twitter.com/RodeoBenjamin

This week is supposed to start the marketing campaign, so I guess we will see more.
Game is scheduled for April, based as far as I know on an evolution of the Hunters 2 engine.

PittaGAF

Yes, Daniel Olsén is readying the soundtrack for release in March.

It's a bit special though, because Daniel didn't make "Oh The Joy", the song you're mentioning. It's made by Jonathan Eng, who made songs for some of our trailers. So, Daniel and Jonathan are trying to figure out if that song can be included in the soundtrack. It seems stuff like this is complicated!

BUT! Good news. Jonathan is going to release a digital EP kind of thing with all of his Simogo songs called "Simogo Sessions". It'll include the trailer songs, oh the joy + a really nice demo version of oh the joy, which has a totally different arrangement; slower and backed on piano.

And thanks everyone for the kind words about Year Walk. These days have been a bit overwhelming, to be honest!

Thanks, this is great news.
I loved both the 'first credit' song and the ingame songs.

BTW...I guess you are all eating popcorns and laughing reading the TA decrypter forums....so after two days of brainstorming I have to ask.
Is there more?
A third ending?
Anything else?

SteveWD40

Here you can find some hires screenshots published long ago when it was announced.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-21-warhammer-quest-iphone-and-ipad-game-announced

Here are the devs twitters.

https://twitter.com/RodeoGames

https://twitter.com/RodeoBenjamin

This week is supposed to start the marketing campaign, so I guess we will see more.
Game is scheduled for April, based as far as I know on an evolution of the Hunters 2 engine.

Cool thanks, found the scans from White Dwarf, not a lot shown but some interesting details (random maps, gear based on cards from the board game etc...).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
it's excellent, I highly recommend people try out Silent Age, the less we say about the actual content the better..

This was great. Only problem is that it's fairly short, but it's a free "first chapter" so that's not a real complaint. Surprisingly high quality and the puzzle mechanic in it is great. Year Walk is also fantastic. Both great recommendations I've taken from this thread in the last weekend!

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It looks like the guy who remade The Lords of Midnight might remake another game of the same creator, Midwinter. He's also working on a PC version of The Lords of Midnight's remake and a 30th Anniversary Edition (isn't it kind of lame to announce the latter before releasing the former, unless it will be a free patch?) as well as a remake of the sequel, Doomdark's Revenge. I've yet to read comments on the remake he has released so far but it looks good and faithful to the original while all the original games seem to be cult classics older than most people here, which I guess is responsible for the lack of feedback.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It looks like the guy who remade The Lords of Midnight is remaking another game of the same creator, Midwinter. He's also working on a PC version of The Lords of Midnight remake and a 30th Anniversary Edition (kind of lame to announce the latter before releasing the former but perhaps it will be a patch?) as well as a remake of the sequel, Doomdark's Revenge. I've yet to hear any comments on the remake he has released so far but it looks good and faithful to the original while the original game seems to be cult classics older than most people here, which I guess is responsible for the lack of feedback.

:O

Midwinter is the first game I bought for my Amiga. It was amazing.

KingKong

Rock Runners is surprisingly decent

It takes too long to get to any kind of challenge but thats true for practically every iOS platformer

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So now I heard both. Read it, and don't read it. lol Which is better?

I didn't read much of the companion till I'd finished the game, but it does give a lot of context. And you will definitely want to come back to it later.

Play the game thuogh, whatever you do.

Keasar

I really shouldn't play horror games, bloody things keeps giving me something close to a heart attack. Damn Year Walk and its roots Swedish mythology that makes it so interesting.

take my word for it- this is what I did. Read the companion first. It's short-and it tells you a bit about the mythological creatures in this mythology. Then play the game-obviously you'll see some of these things in the game-but in the game you don't learn really anything about them-you just encounter them. The game is minimalistic so what you see is just actions, not text.

After you finish the game-there will be a reason to return to the companion. There is a "login" feature in the companion that is basically locked off. When you finish the game, it should be obvious how to access that. That's all I'll say for now because any more ruins the experience. But going into the game with an understanding of this world and the mythos will help you-at least it did for me.

Since PvZ HD is free, I was thinking I could move my near 100% save from my iphone version over to the HD version, however when I do transfer my save file it doesn't seem to recognize it as nothing happens. Are they incompatible?

Since PvZ HD is free, I was thinking I could move my near 100% save from my iphone version over to the HD version, however when I do transfer my save file it doesn't seem to recognize it as nothing happens. Are they incompatible?

I don't believe so. They are separate apps-not a universal one and for years, the HD one was left behind in as far as features go-so they do appear to be different beasts all together.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If you don't want to read it all before plunging in the game, start playing and just keep in mind a lot of the context is in the companion app. You can also do it like I did, accessing it whenever you feel like it while you play instead of reading it all at once before/after. It is essential reading though, so even though you can do it however you want, make sure you use it.

I don't believe so. They are separate apps-not a universal one and for years, the HD one was left behind in as far as features go-so they do appear to be different beasts all together.

Damn... So wait, the HD version is inferior (as in I might as well just delete it, then)?

Damn... So wait, the HD version is inferior (as in I might as well just delete it, then)?

about 6 months or so ago, they released a huge update for the HD version that finally brought it on par feature wise with the iPhone version-so it's good now. For example the HD version lacked the Zen Garden and mini games that have been a staple of the series for a while now.

I've been skimming all the posts about Year Walk and some of the reviews but deliberately trying to see as little as possible. What I'm trying to find out is how it plays. Somewhere a review or a poster described it as a first person game. But I was assuming it was more of a Myst style game of going from screen to screen and tapping things.

How exactly is it played? I'm sure I'll eventually get it but I'm just wanting to know what I'm getting into.

Oh, and roughly how long is a single run through? I don't mind it being short. This is more for curiosity.

eznark

Banned
I've been skimming all the posts about Year Walk and some of the reviews but deliberately trying to see as little as possible. What I'm trying to find out is how it plays. Somewhere a review or a poster described it as a first person game. But I was assuming it was more of a Myst style game of going from screen to screen and tapping things.

How exactly is it played? I'm sure I'll eventually get it but I'm just wanting to know what I'm getting into.

Oh, and roughly how long is a single run through? I don't mind it being short. This is more for curiosity.

Giant Bomb has a quicklook

I'm not sure what you're looking for without being spoiled. It's a touch screen atmospheric puzzle game.

EDIT:
From a first person perspective.

You go from screen to screen and tap things. Some screens require a bit of scrolling around which could be taken for the illusion of moving...but it isn't really.

It is a "puzzle" game so hard to say how long it will take you. Something like an hour or two at a stretch maybe.

GWX

Guys, I recommend this simple and free game called Dr Jolt. It's pretty much a standard "three-star" puzzle game, a type we have seen quite a bit on the App Store, but it's pretty polished and fun to play. Here the link!

You go from screen to screen and tap things. Some screens require a bit of scrolling around which could be taken for the illusion of moving...but it isn't really.

It is a "puzzle" game so hard to say how long it will take you. Something like an hour or two at a stretch maybe.

Thanks, this is the sort of answer I was looking for. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I'm aware Giant Bomb has a quick look and I know the information would be available around the internet but I'm doing my best to not see pretty much anything about the game because it seems the less you know going in the better it is. Mainly I wanted to be certain that it didn't require actual 3D movement with virtual joysticks since describing it as first-person gives that impression to me.

Anyhow, thanks for the answers. I'll look to buy it once I finish a few of the larger games I have downloaded right now to free up some much needed space.

Thanks, this is the sort of answer I was looking for. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.

I'm aware Giant Bomb has a quick look and I know the information would be available around the internet but I'm doing my best to not see pretty much anything about the game because it seems the less you know going in the better it is. Mainly I wanted to be certain that it didn't require actual 3D movement with virtual joysticks since describing it as first-person gives that impression to me.

Anyhow, thanks for the answers. I'll look to buy it once I finish a few of the larger games I have downloaded right now to free up some much needed space.

No joysticks at all.

Megasoum

Banned
For some reason I always go back to Space Agency lol. I know it's not for everybody but this game pretty much fit my tastes perfectly. According to twitter it looks like the dev is making new content too.

SmokyDave

For some reason I always go back to Space Agency lol. I know it's not for everybody but this game pretty much fit my tastes perfectly. According to twitter it looks like the dev is making new content too.
I'm with you there. I keep thinking I've finished with it (because I'm shit at docking in orbit) but then I'll pick it up and take another crack anyway. I wish there was an IAP to unlock all the rocket parts because I'll never do it legit.

yogloo

Isn't it weird that after all these years noone is able to top plants vs zombies or do a remotely competent clone of the game?

SteveWD40

PvZ isn't even that good, the game is slow and dull and too easy by far. I really don't see what others do in it.

Same here, it takes ages to get even a little hard and games seem to drag, it's not especially strategic either. Much like Angry Birds, I think I just don't "get it".

muddream

Banned
PvZ is my favorite tower defense game when it requires you to figure out a unique build order or tactic, but that's unfortunately only the case with a few achievements as the general game is far too easy.

Fjordson

I've been playing a lot of Dolphin Up for some reason. It's pretty simple to be honest, but something about it is super relaxing. Basically just jumping into the air with a dolphin trying to do tricks over and over again :lol

Grab The Silent Age (free), an amazing point and click, dystopian with stunning art style and music, looks like episodic IAP, god damn it's atmospheric.

Youtube vid
Just grabbed this, thanks! Looks great.

muddream

Banned
I just completed Momonga Pinball Adventures, basically a better version of Mario Pinball Land. Well worth the 99c if you're into that type of gameplay.

Tobor

I finished The Room...and I want more!

Great job by those guys, and I can't wait for the DLC and sequel. I feel bad I only paid a dollar for it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bloodshow and the other clones just don't have the charm and universal appeal.

They don't, but they're still very well made, and have a very consistent and unique visual style. They're also like 100x harder than PvZ and have a lot more strategy (since you are relying on creating a good deck from a large selection of cards, a lot more environmental hazards and a lot more random variables such as what lanes enemies appear in make a much bigger difference).

In PvZ you die if you fall asleep, in Samurai Bloodshow you die more often then you win, and it's usually because you didn't react correctly to any number of a wide mix of situations that you can encounter, such as you lost units when you should have reinforced or switched lanes or even sent your units off to clear summoners earlier / later than you did. So if you're looking for challenge in a lane-defense style game, Bloodshow is a much better choice.

That said, I cleared every last achievement in PvZ and will be buying the
likely IAP-filled with cool downs
sequel, PvZ 2 when it releases later this year.

Silvawuff

PvZ is fun because it's clever, easy to pick up and play in short spurts (one quality of mobile gaming that is always a plus), has good artwork, and a strong unlock system with lots of fun mini games outside of the core game that have high replay value. It also does not rely on IAP to be playable or fun.

Could the game be faster, or use an option to increase its difficulty? Sure, totally.

I tried Bloodshow, and it didn't grab me-I didn't feel like the game was really teaching me the best way to play. But actually now that I think about it, I should try it again-

I will download and have a look!

Megasoum

Banned
I'm with you there. I keep thinking I've finished with it (because I'm shit at docking in orbit) but then I'll pick it up and take another crack anyway. I wish there was an IAP to unlock all the rocket parts because I'll never do it legit.

I got all the way to mission 12 when I first played it on iPhone and got stuck there.... And now I got stuck on the same mission on iPad lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom