• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goli

Sorry if this has already been asked (skimmed last few pages) but does anyone know when FFT: War of the Lions is getting the graphics/improvements update to the Android version?

I'm also waiting for this. Played through the tutorial, but haven't started the campaign yet.
Well, since the price drop became effective in Japan they also changed the game's app description by adding this:
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
【価格改定のお知らせ】
1800円から1400円へ値下げいたしました!

また、近日に以下のアップデートを実施予定です。
是非この機会にお求めください。
 ・ユニットキャラグラフィックの高解像度化
 ・描画速度の改善
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Translation:
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
【Price drop notice】
The price's been cut from 1800 yen to 1400 yen!

Furthermore, an update is planned to be released soon.
Please make sure to use this opportunity.
 ・Unit characters with improved higher resolution assets.
 ・Improved drawing speed.
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Which is, well, better than the little blurb about an update that all other countries's app descriptions have had since last year. So, tl;dr: "soon."

Megasoum

Banned
Well here we go guys... I just came home with my brand new (and first) iPad! Ended up with the 16gig 4th gen.

Now I need to put games on there stat!

I'm going through the list of top games from the first post in that thread but if you have have any more recent suggestions I'm all ears!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
It's on my iPhone since release but I still haven't had the chance to play Year Walk because I want to do it on the iPad with headphones, companion app on the phone and maybe some wine, haha. Hopefully tomorrow I'll find the time.

heringer

Some people were asking about the daily App Store Update videos being housed in one spot. You'll be able to find them here, in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGmTrX1unTaYRFPgMr2LGP48NhBsLmkM8

The playlist is in IGN's mobile games-dedicated Youtube channel that I operate and curate.

I won't keep spamming this thread (it doesn't really move the needle for IGN anyway) - I've just been hitting you guys with this repeatedly this week because you've been my guinea pigs, helping me sort through what does and doesn't work on video.

Watched the whole thing and found it to be informative and entertaining enough. Good job.

Well here we go guys... I just came home with my brand new (and first) iPad! Ended up with the 16gig 4th gen.

I'm going through the list of top games from the first post in that thread but if you have have any more recent suggestions I'm all ears!

Because you referred to the OT first, I appreciate that and will bestow upon you my favorite must have apps.

Kingdom Rush HD
Beat Sneak Bandit
Year Walk
Bad Piggies HD
Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery
The Room
Plants Vs Zombies HD (free!!)

PFD

If you wanna see pretty graphics, pick up a Most Wanted code from here.

edit: nevermind, seems the promotion is over!

Vire

Because you referred to the OT first, I appreciate that and will bestow upon you my favorite must have apps.

Kingdom Rush HD
Beat Sneak Bandit
Year Walk
Bad Piggies HD
The Room

Damn you have impeccable taste.

I agree with everything here.

Megasoum

Banned

Kingdom Rush HD
Beat Sneak Bandit
Year Walk
Bad Piggies HD
The Room

Thank you sir! I knew about The Room and Kingdom Rush from the Giantbomb quicklooks and they both look awesome. I'll definitly check out the other ones.

PFD

Thank you sir! I knew about The Room and Kingdom Rush from the Giantbomb quicklooks and they both look awesome. I'll definitly check out the other ones.

Check out Incoboto, Into the Dead, Jungle Run, Minigore 2, Repulze, and Arc Squadron.

What genres are you into?

Megasoum

Banned
Check out Incoboto, Into the Dead, Jungle Run, Minigore 2, Repulze, and Arc Squadron.

What genres are you into?

Thanks, I'll check those outs.

Not sure about the genres. I've had an iphone for over 2 years now but didn't play much on it.

I'm pretty much open to try anything. The only thing I would say is that I'm not a big fan of games with virtual joysticks in general.

Zia

Year Walk, Beat Sneak Bandit and Super Hexagon are far and away my favorite games on the platform. One is a horror adventure, one a rhythm puzzle platformer and the last probably the best twitch arcade-style game since Geometry Wars 2 was released (but with a much higher skill ceiling). All three are experiences designed for iOS, and while the first two couldn't be correctly replicated on anything else, I insist Super Hexagon iOS is the definitive version. All three are also really stylish games that'll flex that screen.

A game is coming out sometime in March called Ridiculous Fishing that I think is as good as the aforementioned. Another really beautiful game that is going to have a lot of (meaningful) content for an iOS game.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm publishing three Real Racing 3 gameplay videos right now to show off Endurance, Drag Race, and Elimination modes - three of the modes that are a little bit more non-traditional. If they aren't live yet they'll be live in a minute or two (they're transcoding):

http://www.ign.com/videos/games/real-racing-3-iphone-138942

This is a very very pretty game.
Endurance is easily the best mode in the game. Elimination is awful, drag race is boring, cup is annoying because of how much damage you are prone to with 19 other cars, and autocross is okay but sometimes way too hard. Endurance is the best because you're racing against the clock but also have (mostly) one-on-one strategic engagements with other cars. It feels so good to outwit them (fake high then cut inside on a turn, for example) and see time added to your clock.

bonesquad

Wow, Year Walk is quite cool. I had low expectations after being burned by so many other hyped 'trendy' games (some I still see people here are recommending... :). A great combination of atmosphere, exploration, and neat little puzzles.

After staring at the cabin for 10 minutes and then going through the opening sequence I felt completely lost as what to do next... But finally I figured it out and just kept going from there. At least for awhile.

Edit: Oops. I took a break at a tough puzzle that I still don't understand how I solved and it turned out I was almost at the end (major spoiler
I should say ends
). Shorter than I thought. Eh. Also, I edited out a question that was no longer relevant:)

Flunkie

Banned
Also, about RR3: repairs are now instant, and services now take 3x longer? Not sure what to think about that.

Edit: OMG, does anyone remember the old flash game Dolphin Olympics 2?! Well apparently Rawkins Games has made an iOS version called Dolphin Up! How did I not hear about this?! Amazing.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dolphin-up/id512064780?mt=8&uo=4

Also, staying with the ocean theme, Hungry Shark Evolution is pretty darn fun. All of the Hungry Shark games are really.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hungry-shark-evolution/id535500008?mt=8#

WoolyNinja

Also, about RR3: repairs are now instant, and services now take 3x longer? Not sure what to think about that.

Edit: OMG, does anyone remember the old flash game Dolphin Olympics 2?! Well apparently Rawkins Games has made an iOS version called Dolphin Up! How did I not hear about this?! Amazing.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/dolphin-up/id512064780?mt=8&uo=4

Also, staying with the ocean theme, Hungry Shark Evolution is pretty darn fun. All of the Hungry Shark games are really.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/hungry-shark-evolution/id535500008?mt=8#

I loved Dolphin Olympics 2 - has anyone tried Dolphin Up yet? Is it worth the $2.99?

Flunkie

Banned
I loved Dolphin Olympics 2 - has anyone tried Dolphin Up yet? Is it worth the $2.99?
I haven't. I just spent my last iTunes credit on Beat Sneak Bandit (one of those I still hadn't bought) and Year Walk, so I'll have to wait til I get another card in a few days. Reviews seem to be mostly positive though.

Also, Cardinal Quest is exquisite.

Sometimes I hate the F2P model. There are some really fun looking games I'd love to just buy once and play to my heart's content, like the city building ones such as Oregon's Trail Settlers, Simpsons Town, etc.

Oh well.

Shaneus

I really only hate it when it creeps into games you actually pay for. As in, you can grind for hours to build up the stats to get to this second last boss... OR, just pay an *additional* $2 for a coin/XP/health doubler.

Sometimes I hate the F2P model. There are some really fun looking games I'd love to just buy once and play to my heart's content, like the city building ones such as Oregon's Trail Settlers, Simpsons Town, etc.

Oh well.

Get The Settlers. I've been playing it on PC for years and it's fantastic. iPad does a good job of recreating it. Its not the FTP model either.

Giard

I haven't. I just spent my last iTunes credit on Beat Sneak Bandit (one of those I still hadn't bought) and Year Walk, so I'll have to wait til I get another card in a few days. Reviews seem to be mostly positive though.

Also, Cardinal Quest is exquisite.

Dolphin Up will be mine for sure.

Am I the only one who prefers 100 Rogues to Cardinal Quest?

Flunkie

Banned
Dolphin Up will be mine for sure.

Am I the only one who prefers 100 Rogues to Cardinal Quest?
I'm playing on iPad. Don't know if that makes a difference, as I didn't care for Cardinal Quest on iPhone for some reason. Can't put my iPad down though.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished The Room in two sittings. Great game but not that challenging and on the short side. Can't wait for the announced DLC.

PittaGAF

Warhammer Quest will be out in April.
Next week starts the marketing campaign; next number of White Dwarf has brand new screenshots and juicy details (there are even scans in Internet, as per devs twitter feed).

CAN'T WAIT.

2013 will rock.

Have any genre preferences? Ask me about music games :3

Megasoum

Banned
Have any genre preferences? Ask me about music games :3

I'm new to iOS gaming in general so I'm pretty much open to try everything.

The only two things I can think of right now are, like I said earlier, not a big fan of games using virtual joysticks (but I'm sure that there's great exceptions) and I never liked bullet hell games (on any platforms).

So far I got The Room (already finished lol), PvZ, Real Racing 2, Ghost Trick, Infinity Blade, Game Dev Story, Cut the rope, Kingdom Rush, GOF2 HD, Little Inferno and Space Agency.

The only two things I can think of right now are, like I said earlier, not a big fan of games using virtual joysticks (but I'm sure that there's great exceptions) and I never liked bullet hell games (on any platforms).

They are bit more expensive ... but fantastic little simulation games but most of Kariosoft's offerings are great. Especially Mega Mall Story and Game Dev Story.

I got, well, my wife got an iPad for Christmas and Kariosoft has been the most consistent developers I've come across on iOS. I've played and beat the two I listed because they are the most wildly praised games from them but all the demos of the other games have been great too and I'll most likely play all of their games at some point.

Look for the Lite version of the games as a demo. And even though they are (mostly) iPhone games you can play them on iPad with 2x zoom and they are great.

Megasoum

Banned
They are bit more expensive ... but fantastic little simulation games but most of Kariosoft's offerings are great. Especially Mega Mall Story and Game Dev Story.

I got, well, my wife got an iPad for Christmas and Kariosoft has been the most consistent developers I've come across on iOS. I've played and beat the two I listed because they are the most wildly praised games from them but all the demos of the other games have been great too and I'll most likely play all of their games at some point.

Look for the Lite version of the games as a demo. And even though they are (mostly) iPhone games you can play them on iPad with 2x zoom and they are great.

Yeah I played a lot of Game Dev and huh the racing one back in the days on my iphone so I already got them on my account. Too bad they don't do HD version but yeah, it's still very playable.

So far I got The Room (already finished lol), PvZ, Real Racing 2, Ghost Trick, Infinity Blade, Game Dev Story, Cut the rope, Kingdom Rush, GOF2 HD, Little Inferno and Space Agency.

If its not too late I recommend IB2 over IB1.

Well, my most played game on iOS is jukebeat/jubeat plus (jukebeat is the International version, which has different songs available for purchase than the Japan-only original). Along the same lines Konami also has REFLEC BEAT +/REFLEC BEAT plus (International/Japan-only again). Both are free to download and come with three songs; additional songs are added via an in-app store.

If its not too late I recommend IB2 over IB1.

I have a hard time agreeing with this since IB1 is still free at the moment.

Zia

I've been hard proselytizing since shortly before launch, but the boyfriend and I were talking about the critical response versus the Gamer response (meaning, forums like this) to Year Walk. Scouring the front page of NeoGAF, seeing Mark Cerny's resurrection and the frothing evangelism over anything remotely quasi-exclusive (see: The Witness), I can't help but be a little bitter. Shrug. I feel that, if Year Walk were a Sony exclusive (and this isn't necessarily a jab at that company, it's just relevant) we'd see it hailed as Art, a game that "was so affecting I couldn't eat for several days, a game that made me question my place in the universe." It's big stuff, and it looks to be doing moderately well commercially (and exceptionally well critically), but I feel like it should be receiving more chatter at places like this. Because it is affecting -- I loved Journey, but Year Walk effectively approaches similarly Big Ideas. And it's the better game, I think.

PFD

I've been hard proselytizing since shortly before launch, but the boyfriend and I were talking about the critical response versus the Gamer response (meaning, forums like this) to Year Walk. Scouring the front page of NeoGAF, seeing Mark Cerny's resurrection and the frothing evangelism over anything remotely quasi-exclusive (see: The Witness), I can't help but be a little bitter. Shrug. I feel that, if Year Walk were a Sony exclusive (and this isn't necessarily a jab at that company, it's just relevant) we'd see it hailed as Art, a game that "was so affecting I couldn't eat for several days, a game that made me question my place in the universe." It's big stuff, and it looks to be doing moderately well commercially (and exceptionally well critically), but I feel like it should be receiving more chatter at places like this. Because it is affecting -- I loved Journey, but Year Walk effectively approaches similarly Big Ideas. And it's the better game, I think.

I don't understand. The game has been universally praised, yet you're feeling bitter because it deserves even more praise?

I have yet to play the game, so I dunno what the fuss is all about just yet, but as an observer I think it's gotten great press. You should feel glad for the devs.

colinp

Banned

Hmmmm, I finished and love Year Walk, but it's not Journey. No way. No how.

Thorgi

Hey guys? I really need to know, and feel free to put the answer in a spoiler tag or something similar...

Is there anything that will pop out at me in the abandoned, darkened shack? I'm scared that moving my light around will cause something to jump out.

Zia

I don't understand. The game has been universally praised, yet you're feeling bitter because it deserves even more praise?

I have yet to play the game, so I dunno what the fuss is all about just yet, but as an observer I think it's gotten great press. You should feel glad for the devs.

I probably shouldn't have used the word bitter. Disappointed, maybe? I'm not invested in its success but rather hopeful. Otherwise, I think you've missed the point of my post.

Hmmmm, I finished and love Year Walk, but it's not Journey. No way. No how.

I found it much more impactful and mechanically engaging than Journey, but my mentioning it was not to draw a 1:1 comparison.

The biggest problem with Year Walk is it doesn't have 8GB of GDDR5.

And really, is it catering to "True" Gamers?

Hey guys? I really need to know, and feel free to put the answer in a spoiler tag or something similar...

Is there anything that will pop out at me in the abandoned, darkened shack? I'm scared that moving my light around will cause something to jump out.

I'll outright tell you: no. That would've been the cheapest of scares, and I'm glad they didn't go for it.

bonesquad

I don't know, I'd put Year Walk at the same rough level as Journey. To be fair though, while I enjoyed both games I don't quite get the uber hype and GOTY awards people give these games. Different tastes for different folks and all that.

I think the point above is that outside this thread no one mentions Year Walk. Even the official thread died after like 10 posts. Yet months old Journey is still discussed in many threads.

PFD

The biggest problem with Year Walk is it doesn't have 8GB of GDDR5.

lol

I think the point above is that outside this thread no one mentions Year Walk. Even the official thread died after like 10 posts. Yet months old Journey is still discussed in many threads.

Ok that makes more sense. I think this says more about the perception of iOS gaming (casual time-wasters) than Year Walk in particular.

dream

In terms of how much the game resonated with me afterwards, I have Year Walk right up there with Journey.

I done thought about shit after.

Vire

Both games happen to have outstanding music. Without the music, it's hard for the game to have the emotional resonance.

I get goosebumps from both.

I do wish Year Walk did away with some of the cheaper scares though. I had my headphones in and I must have jumped two feet on one of them... (I'm an unusually skittish person :(...)

PFD

Would reading the companion app before starting the game spoil things for me? Should I be using them simultaneously?

Zia

Ok that makes more sense. I think this says more about the perception of iOS gaming (casual time-wasters) than Year Walk in particular.

Yeah, sorry I'm not more succinct. And I guess your comment was the kind of feedback I was looking for. It frustrates because I can't relate, I suppose. Games is games is games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom