• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanR1221

In Pixel People, does Utopium ever get "stuck" for anyone? So like, when you earn it, your actual number of Utopiums never goes up?

ParityBit

No...I played just an hour but it's really an audiovisual experience.
I do not know if sounds are REQUIRED to solve some puzzles (I would bet on it) but playing without music would surely mean losing a big part of the experience.

Do you know anything about the supplemental material that I asked above?

PittaGAF

Do you know anything about the supplemental material that I asked above?

I'm sorry, but I have yet to use the companion app.
I just looked at it for 30 seconds and there is some locations/legends lore.
I noticed a place to input codes too, but I have yet to actually use it really.
I met an entity playing (I'm vague on pourpose) and I've read his story/legend/lore from nordic tales in the companion app.
It was really cool....seems like a sort of YearWalk-pedia.

I guess it's separated by the main game because they aimed for total immersion (an from what I saw, they succedeed)....almost no UI, no menus.

I had to USE some pen&paper tough to solve some puzzles (actually I used notes on iPhone).

Got into the Room. Great stuff. Things are a bit tiny on iphone though, and I feel like I probably would do better on ipad with less hints, but still am enjoying it. I just love tinkering with mechanical stuff.

dream

I had to make a shitty halfassed OT for Year Walk. The game is just that good.

The way you (early spoiler)
rescue one of the babies
is probably the most creative game mechanic I've ever seen on iOS. I was just smiling like a dumbass the whole time I did it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I don't think it being on PS4 has anything to do with graphics. They must have paid Blow a good deal to keep it off 360/ps3 (initially)

I don't know, I read a feature about the game in Edge a year back where he was talking about how the current gen consoles wouldn't be able to handle the game, and he mentioned tablets in a far-distant-future kinda way. I'd be interested in hearing more about the iOS version for sure.

dream

Can you play Year Walk on an iPhone (5) and the companion app on an iPad (2)?

Sure. I would recommend that you do it the other way around though, unless you have a really good reason for playing the game on iPhone 5. There are moments in Year Walk that are absolutely terrifying and I'm not sure how well they would translate to the smaller screen. Plus, there are some mechanics that probably work better on the larger iPad display.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I don't know, I read a feature about the game in Edge a year back where he was talking about how the current gen consoles wouldn't be able to handle the game, and he mentioned tablets in a far-distant-future kinda way. I'd be interested in hearing more about the iOS version for sure.

He has suggested that it is a console PS4 exclusive because they are a small team and can only target so many platforms.

But the whole thing screams moneyhat (though to be fair, it is still unclear with regards to what the publishing opportunities are for Durango).

heringer

If you guys like beat n ups and don't mind dealing with virtual controls, I recommend The Gods: Rebellion.

It's only a buck. Decent amount of depth to the combat system. Different combos, parry system, blocking, rolling, cool bosses, the usual stuff. Plus, a good number of different enemies that actually attack you at the same time instead of just standing there.

Nothing outstanding, but I'm having fun with it. Definitely worth $1 if you like the genre. There are IAPs but no pay wall, the game is fairly balanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOwhp1Go_zk

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@Vlambeer 12:17 PM
For all of you asking: #ridfishing will release somewhere in March if everything goes as planned. We are so unbelievably happy & proud.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Year Walk / Companion added to the OP, pruned some older January titles from it as it's hitting the 25000 char limit(!).

Manax

In Pixel People, does Utopium ever get "stuck" for anyone? So like, when you earn it, your actual number of Utopiums never goes up?

Not that I've noticed. I do notice sometimes the app gets stuck and tapping the buildings doesn't do anything, usually a full close of the app fixes it.,
I did notice a drop in output from my tree farm (5x5 grid) after the update but maybe that's just me being paranoid. I really need that utopium now that my expansions cost around 100 million

Minsc

Gold Member
I searched and didn't see anything in this thread so I was wondering, Zen Pinball or Pinball Arcade? I'd be playing on iPad.

Both are good, though Zen still doesn't support iPhone 5 resolution... but that's not a concern for you. If you have a Mini though, I read performance can be iffy in The Pinball Arcade, but it's possible that's been fixed in an update (they come out with new tables every month in TPA).

But why pick? Both are free to start with, and they are not too similar. Zen is fantasy tables, and TPA is all simulations of real tables. Price is the same roughly speaking over both, and there's no real reason to go with one or the other unless you have a preference for a certain style yourself. If you want to see what it's like playing some of the classic pinball machines like Twilight Zone or Star Trek: The Next Generation, well Zen's not going to do that for you, and if you want to play the fancy soon-to-be released Star Wars tables with 3d characters running over the screen and light saber battles, you won't find it in Pinball Arcade.

I personally think The Pinball Arcade is the stronger title, it has more consistent support, and I prefer playing the recreations of real tables, but both are among the best choices for iOS. Zen's missing quite a bit of tables compared to the PS3/360 counterparts though, iOS only has maybe 1/2 the Zen tables released.

Both are good, though Zen still doesn't support iPhone 5 resolution... but that's not a concern for you. If you have a Mini though, I read performance can be iffy in The Pinball Arcade, but it's possible that's been fixed in an update (they come out with new tables every month in TPA).

But why pick? Both are free to start with, and they are not too similar. Zen is fantasy tables, and TPA is all simulations of real tables. Price is the same roughly speaking over both, and there's no real reason to go with one or the other unless you have a preference for a certain style yourself. If you want to see what it's like playing some of the classic pinball machines like Twilight Zone or Star Trek: The Next Generation, well Zen's not going to do that for you, and if you want to play the fancy soon-to-be released Star Wars tables with 3d characters running over the screen and light saber battles, you won't find it in Pinball Arcade.

I personally think The Pinball Arcade is the stronger title, it has more consistent support, and I prefer playing the recreations of real tables, but both are among the best choices for iOS. Zen's missing quite a bit of tables compared to the PS3/360 counterparts though, iOS only has maybe 1/2 the Zen tables released.

Thanks. I actually have an iPhone 5 as well so The Pinball Arcade might be the better choice. Also I remember playing TNG in arcades back in the day so it would be fun to be able to do that again on iOS.

colinp

Banned
The other things added of course being a shitload of new IAP options such as the $2.99 multiplayer :|

Only to be expected I suppose.

Meanwhile starbase orion gets a neat new map zoom feature for phones, fixes and some balance changes.

Yeah, a shame it's all IAP, but at least the games are just $.99.

YW is pretty whacked out. Still trying to figure out what I'm doing but certainly is interesting.

Rat Salad

Banned
If you guys like beat n ups and don't mind dealing with virtual controls, I recommend The Gods: Rebellion.

It's only a buck. Decent amount of depth to the combat system. Different combos, parry system, blocking, rolling, cool bosses, the usual stuff. Plus, a good number of different enemies that actually attack you at the same time instead of just standing there.

Nothing outstanding, but I'm having fun with it. Definitely worth $1 if you like the genre. There are IAPs but no pay wall, the game is fairly balanced.

OOOH looks good. There arent enough games like this on ios devices! And I can only play Wild Blood so many times! Love that game. Hopefully this one can give it a run for its money! Thanks.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm still doing daily wrap-ups each morning of the day's game launches / price drops. Starting to hone in on 60 seconds per game, after some feedback from folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rzA-qjvxA

One thought I had was to produce an ever-growing collection of 60-second "here's the deal with this game" videos that doesn't specifically mention a price or a date. Then each day's 'App Store Update' would be a playlist full of these 60-second videos, specific to that day's launches/price drops. So if a game drops in price 5 times in 5 months, the same vid can be re-used. Plus seperate videos will let people click around on just what interests them.

I have complete carte blanche on how to tackle this problem, so I really wanna get it right and produce something that's genuinely useful to people, while not killing me from a time investment standpoint.

KingKong

House of the Lost Mini has terrible controls, which is too bad because its basically like Binding of Isaac but there's just a shoot button instead of a multidirectional stick

Also maybe its just me but Year Walk has really awkward controls on the iPhone, I'm not sure how its zooming in and out since it doesnt seem to work half the time

One thought I had was to produce an ever-growing collection of 60-second "here's the deal with this game" videos that doesn't specifically mention a price or a date. Then each day's 'App Store Update' would be a playlist full of these 60-second videos, specific to that day's launches/price drops. So if a game drops in price 5 times in 5 months, the same vid can be re-used. Plus seperate videos will let people click around on just what interests them.

Yeah I think that is the way to go. The two videos I have watched are really well put together and I enjoyed them. However they are too long for me to watch them daily.

I would focus on a longer video perhaps each week to go through new releases only. The price drops thing is nice, but to be honest I have plenty of sites (like this one!) that will let me know what is dropping, and I can generally find out the info on a game if I really want it. Even then most price drops are to free so I'm never too worried about picking something up.

Heel

I'm still doing daily wrap-ups each morning of the day's game launches / price drops. Starting to hone in on 60 seconds per game, after some feedback from folks:

I have complete carte blanche on how to tackle this problem, so I really wanna get it right and produce something that's genuinely useful to people, while not killing me from a time investment standpoint.

lol Destin seems to be the perfect sidekick.

"Is it free?"
"It's 99 cents."
"I'll pass."

"I want to download this. How much is it?"
"Year Walk is $3.99."
"Ohhhh. Maybe wait for a price drop..."

colinp

Banned
House of the Lost Mini has terrible controls, which is too bad because its basically like Binding of Isaac but there's just a shoot button instead of a multidirectional stick

Also maybe its just me but Year Walk has really awkward controls on the iPhone, I'm not sure how its zooming in and out since it doesnt seem to work half the time

Works just fine on my Mini. When you can you just swipe down to go forward and swipe up to go backward. There is a little white arrow at the top of the screen when you can go forward, and at the bottom when you can go backward. Sometimes locations have only one way to go. It's all a matter or moving right or left to find the way. At least, that's how I've gotten around so far.

I can see how it might be finicky on a phone until you get used to it, but it shouldn't be too bad. Give it a shot and let us know!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Nope.
Only tables with no rom-emulation or rom emulated tables that aren't too complex (Medieval Madness is ok, Tales of The Arabian Night, TZ or SK:TNG are a no-no) features smooth 60fps.
Honestly it's not only the 30fps making complex tables unappealing, you could look past that for some titles maybe, but they're also full of framerate hiccups which make 'em unplayables (the ball can skip some frames and go down the drain without you having a chance to react on time).
Just download the free app, try the tables and get those that are good. Although it ruins PA as an experience being limited to a few tables, main draw for me was to build a real arcade full of my favorite tables.

What's infurating is that the app is badly optimized for hardware <Retina iPads.
TotaN performs exactly the same on iPad Mini (and I guess iPad2) as it does on iPad 1, which is absurd.

Zen Pinball is as good as a fantasy pinball can get, so YMMV. I like real tables and PA'a physics better but still find ZP enjoyable. Every table I had the chance to try on the Mini was butter smooth with rock solid 60fps.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I'm terrible when it comes to horror things, and I'm not really that big of a fan. Is Year Walk too terrifying? Also, how violent is it?

And does it work on an iPad 1?

Shaneus

Whatever it is you wind up settling on, keep doing it. I watched the full 15-minute thing the other day and was surprised to find it entertaining as well as informative. Great work!

Adam J.

Ridiculous Fishing is a big deal because it's made by the awesome Vlambeer, and has been in development hell due to it being ripped off by Ninja Fishing. It's a victory for Vlambeer, and judging from how good it looks, us as well.

chris121580

Lol. I agree. There's all these Internet tough guys over on the TA forums running in to boast that it didn't scare them.

It's unfortunate how miserable a place that has become in the past year. I used to post there pretty frequently but its nothing but complaining in every thread particularly about IAPs. The mods need to be more strict over there in my opinion

It's unfortunate how miserable a place that has become in the past year. I used to post there pretty frequently but its nothing but complaining in every thread particularly about IAPs. The mods need to be more strict over there in my opinion
100% correct. Sometimes I go there to see if anyone else is having a bug or might help me get past a part I'm stuck in-but it's just people fucking whining. They either are complaining that there is IAP in a game, or that the game is 1.99 instead of .99.

yeah was pimping it earlier, think it was made by a small chinese studio or something, it's not amazing, but definitely a step above your average shit gameloft brawler and its a buck.

Zzoram

The other things added of course being a shitload of new IAP options such as the $2.99 multiplayer :|

Only to be expected I suppose.

Meanwhile starbase orion gets a neat new map zoom feature for phones, fixes and some balance changes.

Civ Rev getting IAP sucks but at least it's continuing to get updated. I hate abandonware. It sucks to pay for a game then have the developer abandon it and not update it to fix new bugs introduced by new iOS updates.

Anyone try Townsmen ?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/townsmen/id538411946?mt=8

mzl.qgksrdpk.640x960-75.jpg

Totally reminds me of Settlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom