• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure most of you know about this, but my brother told me about App Gratis earlier today so I figured I'd share the love! Free apps daily, already got a pretty awesome camera effects app(deal was over yesterday but it was still free today!) called iMajiCam Pro

SteveWD40

We should be more exited for Breach and Clear guys:

The world of Special Operations is a tight knit, closed group populated by incredibly knowledgeable and motivated individuals who answer to a life of service. Breach & Clear allows you to take a peek at the world of Special Operations as well as close quarters battles in this highly engaging and detail-oriented tactical strategy title.

Working with members of this elite community and suppliers to the best of the best, gamers will be able to customize and orient special operations teams from around the world as you take on missions that have been planned out by members of this highly selective community.

Build your team from the ground up like never before
Customize your loadout, your weapon and your team to create the most efficient force it can be
Guide your team with intuitive controls as you take on some of the most dangerous scenarios available with design input by real members of special operations
Take on hardened enemy positions and increasingly complex missions and levels
Unlock and equip the very best that the special operations community has to offer from real world rifles and equipment to units from around the US and abroad
Breach & Clear is the definition of customization and strategy as you take a glimpse of a world so closed off from the norm.

This free to play game also includes content that can be paid for with real money. We also offer custom in-game patches where 100% of the proceeds will go to help veterans and their families in need!

bc_keyartplate.jpg

Spring can't come soon enough.

I wish there was a way to plead to Cave to add icade support. I doubt they ever will but man I would buy their ipad HD versions in a heartbeat if it did.

SteveWD40

It seems to combine both, and thank god because I too can't stand FPS on tablets. This looks like it's tailor made for touch and the bonus is it has the best parts of the old school PC tactical shooters.

Goli

I don't know how to feel about Real Racing 3. It's super pretty and I like how the dev team seems to have really listened to feedback regarding wait times, but I can't seem to find a control option that suits me. It's like if I play with the assists on I feel like I'm cheating, but if I don't I'm absolutely terrible at it.

ALSO! Sega released today Demon Tribe, which is their next big social RPG thing for iOS: http://youtu.be/i0P21EOsUQY
It's kind of like Shin Megami Tensei x RTS x Social game. It looks really cool and apparently it has a deep and engaging storyline. I hope it's released worldwide at some point, like Kingdom Conquest.

Talon

It seems to combine both, and thank god because I too can't stand FPS on tablets. This looks like it's tailor made for touch and the bonus is it has the best parts of the old school PC tactical shooters.
Really, the planning segments of Rainbow Six are tailor-made for tablets.

SteveWD40

It looks like (and this is a guess), you have the planning phase ala R6 / Frozen Synapse and then the action phase is more Full Spectrum Warrior. I doubt it will be turn based, perhaps pause-able real-time?

SteveWD40

So there's no way to use a "real" controller with an iPad right? Like a Dual Shock 3 via bluetooth for example.

Yes if you Jailbreak, it becomes just like Android where you can use Dualshock / Wiimote and various others. App has to have support I think but many games ported to Android do (GTA, Dead Trigger).

I keep checking this thread for news on the Ace Attorney HD collection, and keep leaving disappointed.

Why are Capcom so fucking incompetent these days? Most of their games are tremendous disappontments, and they seem reluctant to release the ones that are actually good.

I keep checking this thread for news on the Ace Attorney HD collection, and keep leaving disappointed.

Why are Capcom so fucking incompetent these days? Most of their games are tremendous disappontments, and they seem reluctant to release the ones that are actually good.

Based on a few minutes with the JP version I'd say it doesn't really fall under the "actually good" category at all. It was generally sluggish and the foreground sprites look horrible.

Apparently Capsized+ of XLBA fame is back on the Appstore.
I'm still on the fence about this one...I fear it is more like Turrican than Waking Mars (I love some action but I want some cool story too).

This is going from my experiences with the PC version, so they may have made alterations, but I found that game to be terrible. The characters handled real unappealingly and the foes were very irritating to fight. Looked good though, I'll give it that.

That Breach and Clear game looks like it could be really good, I would totally be on board to a slow paced highly tactical close combat game.

PittaGAF

This is going from my experiences with the PC version, so they may have made alterations, but I found that game to be terrible. The characters handled real unappealingly and the foes were very irritating to fight. Looked good though, I'll give it that.

Thanks....not really what I wanted to hear but thanks, much appreciated.

kodt

Banned
So some Aliens Versus Predator game just came out, looks halfway decent. Anyone know anything about it?

Can't be worse than Aliens: CM right?

So some Aliens Versus Predator game just came out, looks halfway decent. Anyone know anything about it?

Can't be worse than Aliens: CM right?
Feedback seems decent. I'll probably wait for a price drop though. For $5, I kinda need to be really compelled about it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The Happy Street holiday buildings are starting to piss me off, I wanted those huge Chinese columns, but since it's over in a few hours I shall never have them :,(

The Happy Street holiday buildings are starting to piss me off, I wanted those huge Chinese columns, but since it's over in a few hours I shall never have them :,(

Let all your shops go out of stock. Build loads of bus stops. Keep restocking your (hopefully level 2) fortune wheel.

You'll make LOADS of Flooz that way. You'll have to actually sit and play the game for a few hours though.

(Mine actually says they still have two weeks left to run)

TheMan

i'm surprised real racing 3 isn't making more of a splash in this thread following its american release. it's really a fun game with great visuals, having a blast so far. Waiting for repairs is kind of annoying, but I imagine that once I build up my garage that won't be as much of a problem.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
i'm surprised real racing 3 isn't making more of a splash in this thread following its american release. it's really a fun game with great visuals, having a blast so far. Waiting for repairs is kind of annoying, but I imagine that once I build up my garage that won't be as much of a problem.

It has its own OT.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
RR3 has it's own thread, and I think some regulars in this thread that haven't tried the game yet but have read other's impressions from the NZ release may have soured a tad on the prospect of trying it out for themselves. I'm going to include the tail-end of February's games in the March OT tomorrow, including RR3. Might get more people trying it out then.

Speaking of the March OT.. I plan on putting up the thread around 12:00/noon GMT tomorrow (that's ~14.5 hours from now).

Subtitle suggestions? We have some old favorites that could be candidates. :)

Early spring purchasable with IAP, otherwise wait timer

"Don't ask about Star Command or Phoenix Wright"

We play iOS games to escape from our partners not to emulate them

And this one (not originally a title suggestion but I think it fits (swearing allowed in thread titles right?) !):

When does that fucking Star Trek type game come out

Any more? Keep in mind there's a limited amount of characters available to fit (february title was maxed out).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
RR3 has it's own thread, and I think some regulars in this thread that haven't tried the game yet but have read other's impressions from the NZ release may have soured a tad on the prospect of trying it out for themselves. I'm going to include the tail-end of February's games in the March OT tomorrow, including RR3. Might get more people trying it out then.

Speaking of the March OT.. I plan on putting up the thread around 12:00/noon GMT tomorrow (that's ~14.5 hours from now).

Subtitle suggestions? We have some old favorites that could be candidates. :)

Early spring purchasable with IAP, otherwise wait timer

"Don't ask about Star Command or Phoenix Wright"

We play iOS games to escape from our partners not to emulate them

And this one (not originally a title suggestion but I think it fits!):

Any more? Keep in mind there's a limited amount of characters available to fit (february title was maxed out).

Now with extra free! (Only 4.99 IAP)

Kunan

For those wondering about Capsized...

That Breach and Clear game looks like it could be really good, I would totally be on board to a slow paced highly tactical close combat game.
I'll be the contrarian and quote a slightly tweaked version of my steam review here:

This game is great! The first 5 minutes were spent wondering if I would like the more floaty controls, but then it clicks and the game just becomes amazing. Swinging and jetpacking around is consistently great fun.

This game completely ignores the point A-B mentality of current platformers, instead preferring a light spread of objectives you can go for at your own pace. Also, unlike many platforms today, this game is all about verticality. The worlds are as tall, if not taller, as they are wide. Later levels have you spending a good 20-30 min exploring these huge, rich worlds full of secrets and little gravity gun puzzles.

The sense of exploration in this game harkens back to a time before everything became so linear. You only know a pseudo direction to go, how you get there is completely up to you. The world feels desolate, alien, the unknown encroaching upon you as you fight to save your crew. Mix in a helping of gray morals, and some more intense combat in the later levels, and you have a great game.

A word of warning: Like One Foul Note said, the controls are loose (at least in the PC version). Eventually they clicked for me, but I can definitely see people getting frustrated and quitting. It's a combat heavy game, only sharing base concepts with Waking Mars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom