• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iowa 2008 Caucus Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

ElectricBlue187 said:
shoot two presidents in a row!? you'd be the greatest assassian evar

You just wait until one is standing exactly in front of the other. Happens all the time, I'm sure.

v1cious

Banned
AmishNazi said:
America doesn't like angry women unless they're comedians, or under 20, or fuckable, or bi. Hillary is none of these things.

i think she might be bi. she has a hint of Elanor Roosevelt.

AmishNazi

Banned
ErasureAcer said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-070801obama,1,3928789.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

"I understand that President Musharraf has his own challenges," Obama said. "But let me make this clear. There are terrorists holed up in those mountains who murdered 3,000 Americans. They are plotting to strike again.... If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf will not act, we will."

His equation of 9/11 hijackers to some anti-american people up in some mountains is laughable and is a page right from Giuliani/Bush.

read your own link said:
Obama's stance provided a show of foreign-policy strength at a time when his chief rival in early presidential polling, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.), has sought to depict him as naïve in international affairs after Obama indicated he would be willing to negotiate with foreign dictators that the U.S. has shunned.

His declaration also followed revelations last month that the Bush Administration made a last-minute decision in 2005 to abort a special forces raid to capture senior Al Qaeda leaders in Pakistan's tribal areas amid fears the operation might jeopardize relations with Pakistan. The disclosure stirred criticism of the White House, and in his speech Obama called the decision to abort "a terrible mistake."

Aren't the tribal areas primarily mountains? Didn't Bush say he'd get them no matter where they hid? Yet Obama is naive. Ok I'll take naive over a blantant liar any day.

Also it's funny how fast the republicans jump all over the racism issue too. Strom Thurmond. End of thread. When your party will run out gays and force them to resign, and let a OPENLY RACIST man stay it says a lot about your party. Sorry guys.

explodet

Tamanon said:
No, you're right, only Republicans are racist, and only Southerners as well. All we do all day is hate black people. Hate hate hate.
Come now, Independants are plenty racists too.

irishsuck.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Amir0x said:
Yeah, there's no candidate I'd really love to win... except Bill Richardson. Too bad he has a negative fifty two percent chance of actually being president.

He might win Oklahoma!

We voted for Clark last year.

Tobor said:
You just wait until one is standing exactly in front of the other. Happens all the time, I'm sure.

I think theyre very rarely in the same place at the same time actually. I think there's a law about that. Bombing congress durring the State of the Union address would be an option though...

AmishNazi said:
Also it's funny how fast the republicans jump all over the racism issue too. Strom Thurmond. End of thread. When your party will run out gays and force them to resign, and let a OPENLY RACIST man stay it says a lot about your party. Sorry guys.
:lol

This has to be a joke post, or maybe you don't understand the history of party politics

AmishNazi said:

jeremyshockey.gif

NWO

ErasureAcer said:
How did Barack win then? Because he had a banner behind him 100% of the time that said "Change"? He has been portrayed as some Washington outsider who is going to clean up the mess but the man is lacking any credible experience and seems to be a pawn to the party...endorsing Holy Joe over Ned Lamont for starters.
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2006/04/02/164/90446

Yeah that irked me as a Ned Lamont supporter. It was tough enough for him to overcome the name recognition of Joe but to have so many people on the Democratic side support Joe instead of the Democratic nominee because they knew him was pretty stupid. Now we get flack because we voted a Pro War Joe back into office but the state is against the war and was when Joe was running. It was just too much support for Joe for Lamont to overcome.

Plus its kinda surprising that a "I'm for change candidate" in Obama would have supported Joe who was pro war and anything but change instead of the "I'm for change candidate" Ned Lamont who's against the war. Guess he only cares about change when its his slogan.

Rur0ni

What's Obama stance on military spending, defense, and personnel?

Earlier in the topic that chart thingy was posted, and Obama apparently thinks all semi-automatic weapons should be banned? So anything other than bolt action rifles and pump shotguns = banz? o_O

Cheebs

Rur0ni said:
What's Obama stance on military spending, defense, and personnel?

Earlier in the topic that chart thingy was posted, and Obama apparently thinks all semi-automatic weapons should be banned? So anything other than bolt action rifles and pump shotguns = banz? o_O
most dems are against semi-automatics.

Flo_Evans

More important to me is where did obama get his $$$ from? Someone earlier suggested he is on the same gravy train as hillary... is this true? He seems to be against lobbyists in his speeches, but where does the money trail lead?

I really hope that some of you aren't depending on the youth to go out and vote. Several years back the "Vote or Die" campaign was rolled out in order to get young people to vote. It was aired on MTV, spread around on college campuses, and beaten into the heads of every young person. Or so one would think. The campaign largely fell upon deaf ears. Here's the thing, on the whole young people are not going to out and vote. The average college student is largely apathetic when it comes to voting and politics in general. They'll pretend to care and say they're going to vote until they're blue in the face. Then they'll go and get high or fuck their girlfriend when it comes to voting. That's just the frankness of the matter.

thefro

Flo_Evans said:
More important to me is where did obama get his $$$ from? Someone earlier suggested he is on the same gravy train as hillary... is this true? He seems to be against lobbyists in his speeches, but where does the money trail lead?

He has over half a million donors... most of his money is from small donations.

I missed all the hubub last night. I'm almost afraid to watch that Obama speech. I'm holding onto my "I don't want to vote for the mainstream candidate" stance with all my strength. Why all the amazing reaction to the speech anyway? Is it that good? I always thought the knock against Obama was that he gave great prepared speech, but when put on the spot hemmed and hawed and made a gaffe.

Flo_Evans

Absinthe said:
I really hope that some of you aren't depending on the youth to go out and vote. Several years back the "Vote or Die" campaign was rolled out in order to get young people to vote. It was aired on MTV, spread around on college campuses, and beaten into the heads of every young person. Or so one would think. The campaign largely fell upon deaf ears. Here's the thing, on the whole young people are not going to out and vote. The average college student is largely apathetic when it comes to voting and politics in general. They'll pretend to care and say they're going to vote until they're blue in the face. Then they'll go and get high or fuck their girlfriend when it comes to voting. That's just the frankness of the matter.

Now is a very different time than 2004. I didn't vote in 2004 and it's one of the things I regret deeply. I wasn't to enthusiastic about Kerry or Bush so I didn't care. Obama is fucking inspiring. I am actually thinking of going to down and volunteering at his local campaign office. Something I would NEVER do for Kerry. I think you are going to be suprised (upset?) at the youth vote in this election.

People are pissed and they don't want the same old shit anymore.

deadbeef

adamsappel said:
I missed all the hubub last night. I'm almost afraid to watch that Obama speech. I'm holding onto my "I don't want to vote for the mainstream candidate" stance with all my strength. Why all the amazing reaction to the speech anyway? Is it that good? I always thought the knock against Obama was that he gave great prepared speech, but when put on the spot hemmed and hawed and made a gaffe.

No it's not that good. He's a good speaker, and he has an attractive message that he delivered very well last night, but yeah, it was definitely a prepared speech. I heard him give the same speech this morning in NH.

But he's at least got me interested and I'll be reading up on his views in the coming weeks.

Atrus

Gold Member
perfectchaos007 said:
So wait. Why the fuck does Hillary win more delegates from Iowa than John Edwards even though she lost to him?

This I'd like to know too. Can some American who knows something about this explain? I thought delegates were based on the percentage they won?

Banned
adamsappel said:
No. It really is every Obama speech ever. He is a great speech giver, but this is not Gettysburg address or whatever. Feel free to ignore it.

Flo_Evans said:

Individual donations. He gets a lot of money from the internet, but he still does candidate lunches and everything, he just tries to avoid people who might be asking for something underhanded.

Absinthe said:

The main reason that the Vote or Die campaign failed is because it was called fucking Vote or Die, and wasn't taken seriously right off the bat. That and young people tend to dislike Bush, and Kerry had the charisma of a wooden board.

AmishNazi said:
He didn't craft a decent and effective plan for the American people and then give up on it like it was a runt baby on a pig farm. He also didn't come out and say that the reason that his first plan failed was because he didn't get the support of the insurance companies.

Hillary makes nice speeches too. Most of us have trouble believing a word that comes out of her mouth. Barack hasn't proven himself to be someone to back down from a unpopular decision like our former first lady has. She'll do anything for power, even forgive a man who continually stomps on her. You really want to give the highest position in the country to someone who will back down that easily?

I hate Hillary Clinton. And I wasn't defending her. I feel the urge to defend her now because I feel like you are mis-representing what happened with her health care plan back in the 90's, but I'll abstain. The bottom line is, Barrack isn't much better, if at all. And yes, he has backed down from difficult positions. He constantly brags about being the first to oppose the Iraq war, yet he continues to fund it every time a vote comes up. There are even votes he skipped because they were too controversial. So, the crux of my point was that if you hate Hillary for her positions, then you have no real reason to like Obama.

VALIS said:
Which of course is not to say the specifics are trivial or anything like that, but people grousing every two years that politics is more personality than issues are being naive.

There's nothing naive about it. I'm well aware that people vote based on likability. I'm also aware that that's a shitty reason to vote for someone. Remember that George W. Bush is the candidate most Americans would rather have a beer with. So you can vote for someone who gives great speeches but has no actual positions, and then say "candidates who take a stand on issues won't get them passed anyway, lol", but don't be surprised when things don't get better. And don't get upset if they get worse.

joeposh

Absinthe said:

No, here's the thing... the youth haven't had a candidate that they connect with in years. Kerry and Gore were both distant, white collar, professor like authority figures. Obama changes that. He's the first real post-Vietnam generation candidate.

Tobor

PlayStation Tree said:
I think theyre very rarely in the same place at the same time actually. I think there's a law about that. Bombing congress durring the State of the Union address would be an option though...

I thought it was clear I was joking. Oh well.

Diablos

I'm really starting to think Obama is the best candidate the Dems have.

He has a lot of potential to generate NEW votes. Clinton would probably be falling back on a lot of what Gore and Kerry were working with, which isn't a whole lot outside of their predictable areas. If one little thing goes wrong or some heavy criticism comes your way, it screws you over if it's close to the last minute.

I like Clinton, Obama, and Edwards. So what I want most is a candidate who can win... I'm not sure who of those three candidates is the most electable.

Juice

Absinthe said:

The Vote or Die campaign was everything that's wrong with Hollywood and the media's perception of youth. They tried to use celebrities and (literally) noise to cajole young people into voting. Why? Because voting is good for you, and if you don't do it you may die.

The idea was that by simply agitating youth into showing up and voting for Kerry, they could generate a win for the democrats. It was incredibly naîve to assume that young people only needed to be threatened in order to excitedly comply and vote.

Obama, on the other hand, has built a top-down organization of some of the smartest young people in the country. They've put together a message and image that speaks to the moods and convictions of young people. Unlike 2004, young people are being motivated to vote, not for the sake of voting, but to actually instill change.

And not only by voting, but Fineman's editorial this morning that Obama's young people are organizing the campaign that just beat Clinton. That's a hell of a lot more than Vote or Die bought Kerry, who did very little to appeal to the youth on any level, much less an inspirational one.

VALIS

kame-sennin said:
There's nothing naive about it. I'm well aware that people vote based on likability. I'm also aware that that's a shitty reason to vote for someone. Remember that George W. Bush is the candidate most Americans would rather have a beer with. So you can vote for someone who gives great speeches but has no actual positions, and then say "candidates who take a stand on issues won't get them passed anyway, lol", but don't be surprised when things don't get better. And don't get upset if they get worse.

The idea that Obama isn't substantial or has "no actual positions" is nothing more the parroted talking point now from people who don't like him. It's amazing, with a Swiss watch-like synchronicity, the minute both John Kerry and now Obama cleared their first major hurdle, out came the talking point memes against them. In Kerry's case, "flip flopper." In Obama's now, it's "insubstantial." I'm seeing it everywhere today among the few Obama detractors. And it's funny, it's actually a more empty and insubstantial argument than what you're arguing against! Obama has defined positions on every issue out there, just like any other candidate, which you can find out about through his speeches or website or interviews. Of course, when he pulls a major upset in Iowa and made some degree of history last night as an African-American, his victory speech is going to be emotional and sweeping rather than specific.

Are some of you really going to go with this silly talking point from now until November, that he has "no actual positions" and voting for him is voting for speeches rather than substance? 'Cause it's not a good one. Anyone who thinks about that for 30 seconds will realize how foolish it is.

ZealousD

I'm still sad that Gore isn't running.

I'd vote for him over all the other candidates in a freaking heartbeat.

Flo_Evans said:
Now is a very different time than 2004. I didn't vote in 2004 and it's one of the things I regret deeply. I wasn't to enthusiastic about Kerry or Bush so I didn't care. Obama is fucking inspiring. I am actually thinking of going to down and volunteering at his local campaign office. Something I would NEVER do for Kerry. I think you are going to be suprised (upset?) at the youth vote in this election.

People are pissed and they don't want the same old shit anymore.

The same thing was said when Kerry ran. "Bush sucks, let's go out and vote!" and it never happened. You are four years older than you were four years ago. The apathy that you expressed four years ago is the same apathy that will displayed by similar ages when this election rolls around.

I'd wager that maybe 5% more of the youth come out to vote for Obama, and that is being generous.

Phoenix

Best think that could happen would be Hukabee winning New Hampshire and getting the nomination. Obama or even Hillary would butcher him.

ZealousD

I still don't get why people think Huckabee isn't electable.

Last time I checked, we got a stupid religious moron on the last two elections. A third one isn't so far off. Especially if Clinton is elected. She's waaay too polarizing.

Phoenix

Absinthe said:
I strongly disagree. It would be the 2004 election all over.

You'll have to show me how that's the case because I don't see it. In 2004 there were a number of swing DEMOCRATIC voters who swapped party lines based on security,defense, and gay marriage. Huckabee doesn't have that card to play and needs to swap the disenfranchised Repubican and Independent voters who are all looking strongly likely to vote democratic based on all the polls.

Flo_Evans

Absinthe said:
The same thing was said when Kerry ran. "Bush sucks, let's go out and vote!" and it never happened. You are four years older than you were four years ago. The apathy that you expressed four years ago is the same apathy that will displayed by similar ages when this election rolls around.

I'd wager that maybe 5% more of the youth come out to vote for Obama, and that is being generous.

don't you have some bags to pack for canada anyway traitor? :lol

Macam

Banned
Phoenix said:
Best think that could happen would be Hukabee winning New Hampshire and getting the nomination. Obama or even Hillary would butcher him.

I hardly seeing that happening considering, among other things, a) Obama hasn't "butchered" anyone and seemingly refuses to and b) Huckabee, with all his flaws, is a more charismatic figure than Obama. I suspect that confrontation would be a lot more close than you might expect.

ZealousD said:
I still don't get why people think Huckabee isn't electable.

Last time I checked, we got a stupid religious moron on the last two elections. A third one isn't so far off. Especially if Clinton is elected. She's waaay too polarizing.

He's actually a very likable person. He was on Leno and he has a sense of humor on top of being warm. He reminds me of a southern preacher because he was one. So the south will adore him. He's also a better speaker than Bush, which helps him even more.

Obama has a shot at presidency, but I have a feeling that a lot of people are closet supporters. Few people would publicly admit that they would never vote for a black man. A lot of people will LIE and say they will. When those curtain close a different name may be checked.

It's going to be just like 2004 because of the demographics. Obama is a Democrat. The south generally votes Republican. In other words, he has no shot there. The northeast and west will go to Obama. The midwest will decide the upcoming election. That's all she wrote.

ZealousD

Absinthe said:
He's actually a very likable person. He was on Leno and he has a sense of humor on top of being warm. He reminds me of a southern preacher because he was one. So the south will adore him. He's also a better speaker than Bush, which helps him even more.

Obama has a shot at presidency, but I have a feeling that a lot of people are closet supporters. Few people would publicly admit that they would never vote for a black man. A lot of people will LIE and say they will. When those curtain close a different name may be checked.

It's going to be just like 2004 because of the demographics. Obama is a Democrat. The south generally votes Republican. In other words, he has no shot there. The northeast and west will go to Obama. The midwest will decide the upcoming election. That's all she wrote.

Seems likely. Election is going to come down to Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Florida again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom