• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPad/iPhone Music Production app thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fusebox

Banned
I might check out Sylo Synth, have you made anything with it?

Post up your little iPad experiments in here if you end up recording anything, here's the only track I've recorded so far which is more a proof of concept jam session than an actual tune.

http://soundcloud.com/kaarma/radio-saturn

But I've got a couple more tunes cookin in the iPad right now which I'm gonna lay down over the weekend.

besada

Banned
I'll try to put something together and upload it this weekend. It's likely to be a giant mess, but I'll put something up.

AVclub

How did you get the song onto Soundcloud from the iPad? My biggest problem with investing in any of these music production apps is that I'm unclear about how projects get from the device to a PC or something.

Fusebox

Banned
AVclub said:
How did you get the song onto Soundcloud from the iPad?

I recorded all the parts from the iPad into Multitrack on my iPhone so the song was actually on the iPhone, and there's a feature in Multitrack that lets you mix-down the song and upload directly to soundcloud but even without that feature it's easy to connect to the Multitrack GUI over your network and download either a bounced down master mix or individial track strems.

AVclub said:
How did you get the song onto Soundcloud from the iPad? My biggest problem with investing in any of these music production apps is that I'm unclear about how projects get from the device to a PC or something.
Some of these apps allow import/export via iTunes. In the case of iMS-20 you can export directly to soundcloud.com

besada

Banned
AVclub said:

Sylo synth requires using the iTunes file transfer, which is silly, since you can save samples to drop box, just not finished performances. Hopefully, that will change in the future.

ISequencer fires up its own webserver and you can download it from there.

Fusebox

Banned
Fender Amplitube for iOS:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/fenderiphone/features/

Derived from the award-winning desktop recording studio version AmpliTube Fender, you can choose from 5 Fender amp models — the ’65 Deluxe Reverb™, the Super-Sonic™, the ’65 Twin Reverb™, the ’59 Bassman™ LTD and the Pro Junior™. Custom craft your mobile tone with 6 Fender Stompbox models — Fender Tape Echo, Compressor, the Fender Blender™, Fender Phaser, Overdrive and Noise Filter.

010-ATFender-iphone-Amp-Bassman.jpg

Expect the iPad version to look much nicer when it comes out, in line with the original Amplitube for iPad.

And here's a video of Alex Skolnick from Testament demoing the AmpKit iOS guitar solution:

http://www.guitarnoize.com/blog/com...k-demos-agile-partners-ampkit-iphone-ipad-app

agile_ampkit.jpg

http://www.agilepartners.com/apps/ampkit/

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I knew about Electribe but holy crap, ReBirth! I loved playing with that back in the day! I see an iPad in my future...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Wow at this thread, so useful! I never thought I would get an iPad but I'm seeing stuff here that would be incredibly useful for my band in the future.

I like playing with synth apps on my iPhone already and I wonder if this is the place to ask - does anyone know a good app for making a decent bass synth sound? My band are wanting to use something close to a dubstep style bass sound in one of our songs and I was thinking it might be fun to use the iPhone rather than triggering samples from Ableton or synths on a real keyboard. There are only a limited number of notes we'll be using (I think about 6) so I was considering using something like Beatmaker and setting the different notes up on trigger pads so that I could play it live (instead of relying on something made to a set tempo that would require us to be in perfect time and for me to come on perfectly on the right beat). But if I could just play the notes with a good subby sound it might be even better. Does anyone know a decent app that would be good for this?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Wow at this thread, so useful! I never thought I would get an iPad but I'm seeing stuff here that would be incredibly useful for my band in the future.

I like playing with synth apps on my iPhone already and I wonder if this is the place to ask - does anyone know a good app for making a decent bass synth sound? My band are wanting to use something close to a dubstep style bass sound in one of our songs and I was thinking it might be fun to use the iPhone rather than triggering samples from Ableton or synths on a real keyboard. There are only a limited number of notes we'll be using (I think about 6) so I was considering using something like Beatmaker and setting the different notes up on trigger pads so that I could play it live (instead of relying on something made to a set tempo that would require us to be in perfect time and for me to come on perfectly on the right beat). But if I could just play the notes with a good subby sound it might be even better. Does anyone know a decent app that would be good for this?
NanoStudio has already been mentioned here and I can't recommend it enough. If you'd like to try it out, there's a FREE version for Mac/PC on their website

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/download.php

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm an avid Ableton user. I was thinking about buying a refurbished 1st gen iPad since I only have 1 controller (LPD 8) that has any mixing knobs.

What do you think? They're around $349 I think.

Anyone got djay? I've been thinking of getting it as it looks like fun. (Quite expensive though..)

I'm thinking djay and Garage Band (when it's released) should be a good starting point. :)

Any decent GarageBand iPad videos out there showing it in a real creative mode? All I see out there are app sites showing what all the buttons do, and randoms breathing heavy into mikes explaining the feature set badly.

Fusebox

Banned
I haven't seen any great GarageBand demos yet, but its a lot of fun to muck around in, although I cant imagine myself using any of the auto generated melodies or beats in a track.

I think the biggest surprise in Garageband was the price, for $5 it's a steal. iLounge have a good review of it:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/apple-garageband-for-ipad/

In other news Moog Filtatron has gone Retina + Universal:

http://filtatron.moogmusic.com/

8610158472.jpg

Scuba Steve said:
I'm an avid Ableton user. I was thinking about buying a refurbished 1st gen iPad since I only have 1 controller (LPD 8) that has any mixing knobs.

What do you think? They're around $349 I think.

Do it. Its great for Ableton work-flow. You can either use it to extend your desktop and display VSTs which you can touch control, or use a dedicated controller app like the awesome TouchAble app.

RJT

So what do you guys recommend for a noobie? I'm just interested in playing around with some samples and make amateur beats for myself.

SmokyDave

Despite owning GarageBand and the awesome MS-20 app, I've never created anything of any musical worth, ever. Not even a jingle.

To celebrate my utter failure, I've bought the Gorillaz Electribe app. Let's see what I can't create with that bad boy!

FerranMG

RJT said:
So what do you guys recommend for a noobie? I'm just interested in playing around with some samples and make amateur beats for myself.
Was about to ask the same.
Any recommendation will be appreciated!

modulaire

RJT said:

I think GarageBand is a good place to start.

besada

Banned
FerranMG said:
Was about to ask the same.
Any recommendation will be appreciated!

I bought Reactable today. It's pretty nifty, not hard to use, and can produce reasonably sophisticated sounds. You can export your music, and download new sound tables for it. Bjork did chunks of Volta with it.

As a starting place, either that or Garageband. Or the Korg iElectribe. All good starting points.

Carlisle

StudioTrack is on sale for $19.99 (down from a ridiculous $39.99) for a limited time.

Can anyone recommend StudioTrack? Does it do anything that other, cheaper apps don't? I'm about to take the hit, but even at 50% off it's a really expensive app. What's so awesome about it that it deserves that price?

SmokyDave

besada said:
I bought Reactable today. It's pretty nifty, not hard to use, and can produce reasonably sophisticated sounds. You can export your music, and download new sound tables for it. Bjork did chunks of Volta with it.
I bought Reactable. I fucking suck at making anything other than squealing, awful banshee squeals. It sounds like I broke 3 synths and then plugged them all into each other at random.

The iDevices have taught me that music is something that I can only appreciate, never create :(

Id just like to mention garageband for a moment.

I was doing dubbing for my film, and couldn't bring my iMac to a friends whom I need a last minute re-dubb. I actually believe it or not got phenomenal sound out of the miv and vocal option of garageband.

It actually sounds better than when I was using logic and a Blue Yeti 149$ to do the other dubbing I had. I got zero noise and the sound came through crystal clear.

It's safe to say I was absolutely dumbfounded.

NANOSTUDIO GOT AN UPDATE, I think its better than beatmaker 2.

What's New in Version 1.2

* In-app purchase to upgrade from 6 to 16 instrument tracks

* Configurable instruments on each track (TRG or Eden), mixer has its own track
* Configurable mixer with volume/pan automation and up to 4 insert effects per bus (input, send or output)
* New effects include compressor, 3 band parametric EQ and Lo-Fi (bitcrush/decimate) setting added to waveshaper
* Offline processing of samples through an effects chain using the sample editor (with undo)
* Up to 4 sequencer tracks per instrument (up to 64 sequencer tracks in total)
* Retina display support for iPod/iPhone 4
* Supports launching and purchasing other audio copy/paste apps via the Sonoma compatible apps list
* TRG pad copy/paste function for duplicating pad settings and samples
* Sequencer track mute/solo, quantize down to 1/64, quantize event length and end as well as start, view grid without snapping
* Better mixer VU meters and accurate clip detection algorithm for final output stage
* Better 'picker' for choosing controller events in the pattern editor, note events can now be seen when editing controllers
* Eden loads samples ahead of time, so preset changes are ready when they're needed
* Added triplet settings to Eden LFO (this will affect some existing projects and presets)
* Increased instrument polyphony
* New Akai SynthStation25 button operation
* Tempo/time sig available from main menu
* New 'click only during record' setting
* Loads of small improvements and bugfixes

rezuth said:
Is there any tracker software available? I'm bad at making stuff with timing :p
SUNVOX

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunvox/id324462544?mt=8

mzl.qqyrkilw.320x480-75.jpg

tomjr

Just an FYI. DJay is 50% off this weekend, $9.99. I don't think it's ever been discounted since release.

I'm thinking about getting this. Any feedback from DJay Gaffers?

yeah, it's really good and worth the money. i liked sonorasaurus rex better for a while because it's more hands-on and i prefer the interface, but the automation (bpm sync etc) in djay is fantastic and totally works. with sonorasaurus you kind of have to plan a set ahead of time if you want things to be smooth, whereas with djay you can show up to a party and just go.

Xrenity

Hey guys! My iPad gets here in a day or two...and I just sold my Numark Mixtrack pro to fund it (and soon my laptop). I decided its not worth getting real hardware until I'm either proficient or committed for real, (Im a total hobbyist who just keeps fiddling with things), so I feel like the iPad is a perfect way to mess around with stuff inexpensively!

But anyways, what do you guys recommend music-app wise? I definitely want to get a replacement for my DJ controller, I've heard good things about D-Jay. I also wanted to pick up with Korg MS-20 and start crafting some noise....are there any other really useful apps for making ipad tracks now?

Fusebox

Banned
Anyone got recommendations for tracking audio into iOS? I've been using Fourtrack but it's lack of start-on-sound-detect and it's reluctance to keep time with external instruments set to the same BPM is giving me the shits.

Looking for 4 tracks at least with metronome.

Fusebox

Banned
There's been a huge advancement recently in iOS MIDI now that devs can access the 'background audio/midi' function, whatever that is.

The only apps I'm using that support it so far are Sunrizer synth and Soundprism Pro midi controller but they workl great together.

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/sunrizer-synth/id443663267?mt=8

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/soundprism-pro/id425733007?mt=8

I open Sunrizer synth, turn on 'Audio BKG', minimise it, open Soundprism Pro and start playing and the midi output of Soundprism fires at the Sunrizer synth which is still playing its audio out the headphone jack from the background.

Great success!

BeeDog

It's not only iMS-20 on sale, several other WIST apps have also dropped in price:

BassLine (-50%)
MoDrum (-50%)
Tabletop (-50%)
Rebirth (-50%)
Rebirth for iPad (-50%)
iELECTRIBE Gorillaz Edition (-50%)
iELECTRIBE (-50%)

Might have missed some. Good prices, bought iMS-20, MoDrum and Rebirth for iPad. Might also buy iELECTRIBE and Tabletop (I have BassLine since before).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom