• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aske

No idea when my 4S will arrive since Telus hasn't sent me a shipping confirmation yet, much less a tracking number; but my Kutu case arrived this morning. Very impressed with Sena. $9.99 for FedEx shipping to Canada, and it arrived in two days with no additional brokerage fees, border charges or tax. The case even comes in a gift box with a cloth bag. Not sure what I'll use it for (power adapter and cables?), but if I was giving the case to someone as a gift it's a nice touch.

I'm pleased with the case itself too. The Kutu's leather seems fairly average, but the stitching is perfect. So perfect that I noticed it immediately. Leather is as I expected: firm rather than soft, and it'll provide great scratch protection as well as decent shock protection for minor knocks. Best way to describe it is just thick/firm enough to stop you adjusting the volume buttons through the leather, so it'll stop them from being crushed accidentally. Quick release ribbon works well too, and the stitching of the pull tab is of the same standard as the edges of the case. Really tight, clean work.

Overall it's an expensive case, but the price is reflected in the quality of the workmanship. Whether the quality justifies the price is going to be subjective, but I'd have been satisfied paying full price. With 20% off, I'd say it's excellent value. Here's the code again in case anyone missed it: PCWIPNK11.

schnell

The Lamonster said:
$1...can't beat that. Thanks!

So I'm guessing I'll have to manually re-add all my contacts?

I'm afraid so. And it may be made even more difficult by the fact that you won't be able to access the old ones once the new sim is activated.

Can I get a second opinion on this? I want to be wrong because I'm in the same boat. (Upgrading from non-smart phone and therefore can't easily back up contacts to internet)

Evlar

Banned
schnell said:
I'm afraid so. And it may be made even more difficult by the fact that you won't be able to access the old ones once the new sim is activated.

Can I get a second opinion on this? I want to be wrong because I'm in the same boat. (Upgrading from non-smart phone and therefore can't easily back up contacts to internet)
AT&T has a method of transferring contact information from one SIM card to another in their stores, or from an iPhone to a SIM: I had this done when I went from my OG iPhone to my current dumbphone. I don't know if this would work going the other direction, though, as I don't know if iOS has any way to access the information stored in the SIM.

KtSlime

schnell said:

I've never had a RAZR, but way, way, back, prior to the iPhone OG I had a SLVR, and it had a small amout of internal storage where you could save contacts. One should be able to transfer the contacts from the SIM card to the internal storage, and then transfer it to a new card.

If you have a Mac 10.5 or older you should be able to pull the contacts using Sync.

First thing I want someone to do is to hold the phone with the death grip and tell me how that works out. If the signal is stable I will succumb to doing Siri

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lord-Audie said:
Japan has a CDMA carrier?

I thought that all of the east was on GSM.

Two of their biggest carriers, DoCoMo and AU, are on CDMA, I believe.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting nervous about tomorrow, and still not decided on whether I will wait outside the Verizon shop (which is closer and far more convenient), or go to the Apple store (which is much farther away, but all but guaranteed to have the 64gb models in stock, assuming I'm near the front of the line).

It's the nature of shipping.. your package generally travels the country in what appears to be an odd manner.. but it's all based on algorithms, how many packages are going from one place to another, etc. It's not like they can change their flight plans on the fly, they have pre-determined flights all year and the packages get routed around their schedules. If your package went from San Diego to Kentucky and you live in LA.. well.. that's because there was no SD-LA flight scheduled.. and no trucks driving that route.

And of course the occasional human error causes things to go REALLY bad.. as long as the package was never actually in your home city and then left your home city it's likely purposeful.

planar1280 said:
First thing I want someone to do is to hold the phone with the death grip and tell me how that works out. If the signal is stable I will succumb to doing Siri

Is this still a thing? I always thought that was alot of public overreaction over nothing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
nVidiot_Whore said:
It's the nature of shipping.. your package generally travels the country in what appears to be an odd manner.. but it's all based on algorithms, how many packages are going from one place to another, etc. It's not like they can change their flight plans on the fly, they have pre-determined flights all year and the packages get routed around their schedules. If your package went from San Diego to Kentucky and you live in LA.. well.. that's because there was no SD-LA flight scheduled.. and no trucks driving that route.

And of course the occasional human error causes things to go REALLY bad.. as long as the package was never actually in your home city and then left your home city it's likely purposeful.
Oh yeah, I understand the way distro flows. It's fun to watch is all.

ifixit tears apart the iPhone 4S

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4S-Teardown/6610/1

the result:

an extra .05 WHrs in the battery over the iPhone 4!

The iPhone 4S logic board bears a close resemblance to its stateside CDMA counterpart.

Apple A5 Dual-core Processor (more on this later)
Qualcomm RTR8605 Multi-band/mode RF Transceiver. Chipworks has provided us with a die photo.
Skyworks 77464-20 Load-Insensitive Power Amplifier (LIPA®) module developed for WCDMA applications
Avago ACPM-7181 Power Amplifier
TriQuint TQM9M9030 Multi-Mode Quad-Band Power Amplifier Module.
TriQuint TQM66052 (possibly a PA-Duplexer Module)

Qualcomm MDM6610 chipset (an upgrade from the iPhone 4's MDM6600)
Apple 338S0973 Power Management IC

Toshiba THGVX1G7D2GLA08 16 GB 24 nm MLC NAND flash memory.

Out comes the vibrator motor. It appears that Apple elected to go with the linear oscillating vibrator that we found in the Verizon iPhone 4 as opposed to the rotational electric motor with counterweight in the AT&T version.
This vibrator motor is quieter, softer, and all-around less annoying than its counter-weighted predecessor.

hhI6JAA2SRwG2WSp.large

Brendonia

"Edge stole Big Ben's helmet"
lbcyalater said:
I'm dumb...I signed up for it but I cant find the option to do it without a signature

Did you get the MyChoice delivery alert email? If so you can click the tracking number and log in.

Once you log in there should be a row that says "Special Instructions" and "Delivery Signature Required." There is a checkbox that says "Authorize Shipment Release" or something along those lines. Check that and then submit it and it will waive the signature requirement.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

renitou

eudaemonic said:
I thought we were over this already? *shrugs* Well, least I was. Not the size - it's what you do with it... and all that jazz. *chuckles*
Just overdramatizing. I expect a gigabyte for next year. 512 is adequate, and expected.

If I ask a friend to bring me back an 4S from the US, will it work over here, in Europe ?

Will it be sim-locked ? How do I unlock it to work on any mobile provider ?

Evlar

Banned
Moundir&Tony>you said:
If I ask a friend to bring me back an 4S from the US, will it work over here, in Europe ?

Will it be sim-locked ? How do I unlock it to work on any mobile provider ?
If he buys an "unlocked" one from Apple you'll have no trouble, though they won't be available until November. If he buys one from Sprint or Verizon you may manage it, but your friend is going to have to deal with fees for breaking that 2-year contract.

EDIT: The SIM slot on the Sprint iPhone should be unlocked on Day 1. The SIM slot on a Verizon phone can't be unlocked for at least 60 days after purchase.

Evlar said:
If he buys an "unlocked" one from Apple you'll have no trouble, though they won't be available until November. If he buys one from Sprint or Verizon you may manage it, but your friend is going to have to deal with fees for breaking that 2-year contract.

EDIT: The SIM slot on the Sprint iPhone should be unlocked on Day 1. The SIM slot on a Verizon phone can't be unlocked for at least 60 days after purchase.

Hmm... He's gonna be there until november 10th I guess ...
Well, too bad, I just wanted to sell it here to make a profit :D

Departed Louisville, KY! Looks like delivery for tomorrow is a lock! Now all I have to do is decide if I have the willpower to keep it sealed until I can take it to the Apple store and exchange for a white one. INDECISION 2011!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Gary Whitta said:
Departed Louisville, KY! Looks like delivery for tomorrow is a lock! Now all I have to do is decide if I have the willpower to keep it sealed until I can take it to the Apple store and exchange for a white one. INDECISION 2011!
Couldn't you OPEN it and still exchange it? It's a possibility isn't it?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Gary Whitta said:

Ask Siri what you should do...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gary Whitta said:

And when do you plan on exchanging it? Do you think your local Apple store is going to have stock of White iPhone 4Ss in the size that you want if you just stroll on in there Saturday afternoon?

Plus, you won't be able to mess around with the phone on Octoberkast!

Evlar said:

According to Engadget the Sprint phone won't be sim unlocked. So I would wait for some confirmation before you decide to buy one from Sprint/Verizon with the hope of using it abroad.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Okay, so in preparation for my new iPhone, I want to transfer all of my contacts/phone numbers to my mac from my current phone, so that I can sync them to the iPhone. Only problem is, I have no idea how to do it.

I connected my phone to my computer using bluetooth, and opened iSync, but it says that my phone is not supported.

Anybody do this with an old ass phone?

My phone is a Samsung A707:

2x234.jpg

Double D

quadriplegicjon said:
Okay, so in preparation for my new iPhone, I want to transfer all of my contacts/phone numbers to my mac from my current phone, so that I can sync them to the iPhone. Only problem is, I have no idea how to do it.

I connected my phone to my computer using bluetooth, and opened iSync, but it says that my phone is not supported.

2x234.jpg

Looks like you've got some typing to do. You don't happen to have these contacts somewhere else, maybe? Like Gmail or something? Because you can import them that way.

Zefah said:
And when do you plan on exchanging it? Do you think your local Apple store is going to have stock of White iPhone 4Ss in the size that you want if you just stroll on in there Saturday afternoon?

Plus, you won't be able to mess around with the phone on Octoberkast!
Well, you never know. If I decide I really want white I can wait a bit. Plus, we'll definitely have a 4S on Oktobercast whether I open mine or not!

BocoDragon said:
Couldn't you OPEN it and still exchange it? It's a possibility isn't it?
Yeah the guy at the Apple Store said I can, it's just slightly more of a hassle.

Double D

Gary Whitta said:

A few moments alone with Siri, or a lifetime with her in glorious white casing? You know the answer to this.

Particle Physicist

Vik_Vaughn said:
Looks like you've got some typing to do. You don't happen to have these contacts somewhere else, maybe? Like Gmail or something? Because you can import them that way.

Nope. :(

EDIT

Well, some of them... but not most.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Gary Whitta said:
Well, you never know. If I decide I really want white I can wait a bit. Plus, we'll definitely have a 4S on Oktobercast whether I open mine or not!
I'm thankful for that. My Canadian carrier utterly failed me, and I doubt I'm getting one tomorrow. I need to vicariously experience 4S launch day through you guys....

quadriplegicjon said:

2x234.jpg

I remember doing the same thing with my RAZR and transferring photos onto my Mac. I just connected to it using bluetooth and it browsed it like a regular 'hdd' until I found all of my pictures. I then just copied all of my photos over manually.

But as far as contacts go... when I transferred over my old sim to my 3GS, the ones that were on the sim transferred while those in the phone memory didn't.

Particle Physicist

Auron_Kale said:
I remember doing the same thing with my RAZR and transferring photos onto my Mac. I just connected to it using bluetooth and it browsed it like a regular 'hdd' until I found all of my pictures. I then just copied all of my photos over manually.

Oh, I can connect through bluetooth and transfer media (images, videos, etc.)... but for some reason, I can't find the contacts, and iSync says it is not supported.

giga

quadriplegicjon said:
Oh, I can connect through bluetooth and transfer media (images, videos, etc.)... but for some reason, I can't find the contacts, and iSync says it is not supported.
I had the same phone. I re-entered each contact into gmail and used that to sync it to my phone. Any changes you make on the phone will be synced back to gmail's servers too. Long process, but rewarding in the end.

TommyT

Evlar said:

So what does this mean exactly? Could I get an iPhone 4S from Sprint, and have give it to someone else to use on either Verizon or AT&T then?

Hmmm.. I wonder if Siri can talk to another Siri. Or if you can ask Siri to ask you questions and see if you answer correctly.

*is glad there will be two iPhones in the house*

Remus

Aske said:
I'm pleased with the case itself too. The Kutu's leather seems fairly average, but the stitching is perfect. So perfect that I noticed it immediately. Leather is as I expected: firm rather than soft, and it'll provide great scratch protection as well as decent shock protection for minor knocks. Best way to describe it is just thick/firm enough to stop you adjusting the volume buttons through the leather, so it'll stop them from being crushed accidentally. Quick release ribbon works well too, and the stitching of the pull tab is of the same standard as the edges of the case. Really tight, clean work.

How is the fit with the phone in the Kutu case? Also what kind of material is inside the case? I have the Sena Elega case and it's a really tight fit at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom