• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

snap

Banned
fuck qualcomm

because of the way they price their SoCs and radios on top of the inherent increased power consumption if you go with another company's SoC you also pay more for the radio

and since qualcomm offer the best mobile radios in the biz you'd be hardpressed to get an alternative. so when qualcomm fucks up generation after generation, putting out misfire after misfire, they still end up in every phone because of their fucking radios. now it's got to the point where phone makers can't even find an alternative if they wanted to--mediatek and all the other budget makers give you exactly what you pay for and nobody else is even bothering anymore (intel was the last great hope and they bowed out a year or two ago).

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
fuck qualcomm

because of the way they price their SoCs and radios on top of the inherent increased power consumption if you go with another company's SoC you also pay more for the radio

and since qualcomm offer the best mobile radios in the biz you'd be hardpressed to get an alternative. so when qualcomm fucks up generation after generation, putting out misfire after misfire, they still end up in every phone because of their fucking radios. now it's got to the point where phone makers can't even find an alternative if they wanted to--mediatek and all the other budget makers give you exactly what you pay for and nobody else is even bothering anymore (intel was the last great hope and they bowed out a year or two ago).
That's because Intel were hell-bent to feed their crappy atoms to everybody. Intel need an armv8 license yesterday.

giga

The numbers in the OP aren't just CPU tests.

https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks/

I think 3D is by far the best overall judge of the power of hardware. Also, I never said Xeon is desktop class?

Where?

Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Exynos-8895-Snapdragon-835-GFXBench-Score.png

http://www.ubergizmo.com/products/lang/en_us/devices/galaxy-s8,iphone-7/

Note, only offscreen tests use the same resolution. And the S8 wins about every time...
That's an iPhone 7 vs an S8. Are we comparing year old phones?

rambis

Banned
All the benches I've seen put the A10x way ahead of the Tegra X1 on GPU tests. The A9X and X1 were more of a toss-up.

Yeah, Apple's like three gens ahead of Qualcomm/Samsung/Huawei on Javascript/web browser tests.
Yet Apple with the thinnest APIs in the game gets outperformed by the S8 in 3D tests. Hmmm

That's an iPhone 7 vs an S8. Are we comparing year old phones?
Did you not read any poats before that one or...

snap

Banned
That's because Intel were hell-bent to feed their crappy atoms to everybody. Intel need an armv8 license yesterday.

hey at a certain price they were fine. The Zenfone 2's subsidized Atom cost Asus as much as a Mediatek but performed on-par with Qualcomm's midrange or higher.

I have a iphone 6 right now and am looking to upgrade, is the iphone X a better buy than the 8 plus? or are you just paying extra for aesthetics?

ZOONAMI

All the benches I've seen put the A10x way ahead of the Tegra X1 on GPU tests. The A9X and X1 were more of a toss-up.

Yeah, Apple's like three gens ahead of Qualcomm/Samsung/Huawei on Javascript/web browser tests.

Have we seen any benches on the Kirin 970? Huawei has already caught/surpassed Samsung and Qualcomm, so if anyone will start to catch up to apple I bet it will be huawei.

ZOONAMI

I have a iphone 6 right now and am looking to upgrade, is the iphone X a better buy than the 8 plus? or are you just paying extra for aesthetics?

You’re paying more for oled, a slightly larger screen and better native display resolution, and not having Touch ID, essentially. Also ois on the 2nd camera and I believe a better fstop on the second camera as well. The guts are exactly the same.

Fhtagn

The X has optical image stabilization on the 2x camera, whereas the 8+ does not.

The X has Face ID and edge to edge screen, a much better front facing camera and is smaller than the plus.

That's about it though.

rambis

Banned
Have we seen any benches on the Kirin 970? Huawei has already caught/surpassed Samsung and Qualcomm, so if anyone will start to catch up to apple I bet it will be huawei.
Huawei certainly hasnt passed them, more like finally sat at the table with them. And Samsung/Qualcomm/Apple basically leap frog each other every iteration.

Piggus

Newest high end phone on market is fastest.

That's one way to simplify it. Too bad it's almost twice as fast as the nearest competition, whereas said competition could only manage a phone with about the same performance as Apple's year-old iPhone 7.

I'm holding out for the X. I'm not paying $700+ for a phone that looks almost exactly the same as the phone I've had for three years. I want something new.

emag

Yet Apple with the thinnest APIs in the game gets outperformed by the S8 in 3D tests. Hmmm

The comparison in my post was between the A11 (iPhone 8/X)/A10X (iPad Pro) and the Tegra X1 (Switch, Shield). The OP's post was about CPU performance. That the S8's GPU is faster than that of the iPhone 7's (A10) is irrelevant.

For what it's worth, though, the A10X and A11 blow away the S8 in 3D tests, too.

You're paying more for oled, a slightly larger screen and better native display resolution, and not having Touch ID, essentially. Also ois on the 2nd camera and I believe a better fstop on the second camera as well. The guts are exactly the same.

I wouldn't buy the 8/8+ if I could get the X instead unless I really needed TouchID (as opposed to FaceID). The difference in screens is huge.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Problem is... who needs that power?

Not very many people, realistically. Yes, it's fun to get a new phone and a shiny new toy, but truthfully -- good 4 year old phones do the same tasks that most of us use our phones for (web surfing, email, texting) at relatively the same speed as these expensive upgrades. Sorry to break it to most people, but you're buying a super computer to use fucking Snapchat. 🤔

giga

Not very many people, realistically. Yes, it's fun to get a new phone and a shiny new toy, but truthfully -- good 4 year old phones do the same tasks that most of us use our phones for (web surfing, email, texting) at relatively the same speed as these expensive upgrades. Sorry to break it to most people, but you're buying a super computer to use fucking Snapchat. 🤔
Portrait mode/lighting and AR are two real life examples that regular people would use and are also processor intensive.

Having the fastest phone now is a waste?

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Isn't there a large difference in the screen resolutions of the Iphone 8 vs the Note8/S8? Would the tests be impacted from that?

Your phone being significantly better than it needs to be (an opinion anyway) doesn't really sound like a 'problem' though.

Your phone being significantly better than it needs to be (an opinion anyway) doesn't really sound like a 'problem' though.
Yeah it sounded like some bullshit philosophy.

Besides, no four year old phone comes close to the speeds offered right now, and beyond that, a four year phone sounds like a terrible purchase and leg to prop any sort of rethoric on.

Huawei certainly hasnt passed them, more like finally sat at the table with them. And Samsung/Qualcomm/Apple basically leap frog each other every iteration.

The Kirin 960 introduced last year already benchmark about the same as the SD835 and slightly less than the Exynos 8895 released this year. The Kirin 970 supposedly is 20% more powerful than the 960 so it'll be at least as powerful as the 8895 or more probably benchmarking around 2500/8500.

emag

Isn't there a large difference in the screen resolutions of the Iphone 8 vs the Note8/S8? Would the tests be impacted from that?

Tests in the OP are non-graphics tests. You can see that the 8/8+/X all have roughly the same results (within experimental error), despite having wildly different rendering resolutions.

The graphics tests in my post (and others) all account for differences in internal resolution by measuring 1080p or 1440p off-screen performance.

Also, the S8/S8+ run at a lower resolution than the 8+/X by default (although this can be changed by digging through the options).

It's called race to sleep. It takes a power investment to drag the clocks up. It takes time to drag the clocks back down after idle. Radios also draw huge amounts of power the longer they're active so the faster you get those powered off the more power you save. The faster you get something done the less total amount of power it takes. So long as you're not losing more power from the capacitance in the CPU from switching faster take the extra clock speed and do whatever you're doing faster.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Tests in the OP are non-graphics tests. You can see that the 8/8+/X all have roughly the same results (within experimental error), despite having wildly different rendering resolutions.

The graphics tests in my post (and others) all account for differences in internal resolution by measuring 1080p or 1440p off-screen performance.

Also, the S8/S8+ run at a lower resolution than the 8+/X by default (although this can be changed by digging through the options).

Ah, okay, that helps. For some reason i thought the higher the resolution = more CPU intensive it became. Do you know if the tests were run in the S8/S8+ default modes or at the higher resolution options?

Not very many people, realistically. Yes, it's fun to get a new phone and a shiny new toy, but truthfully -- good 4 year old phones do the same tasks that most of us use our phones for (web surfing, email, texting) at relatively the same speed as these expensive upgrades. Sorry to break it to most people, but you're buying a super computer to use fucking Snapchat. ��

and now the argument is...too powerful?

I'll try to remember this when I hear someone bitching about memory.

These goalposts are moving so fast I almost can't keep up.

this has probably been posted but the Iphone 7 beats the S8 and S8 Note and Oneplus 5 and the Essential phone is in dead last in this guy's tests of opening and running apps and transcoding video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiTOKKX7ek

ja2U7Fv.jpg

it's k. androidGAF has informed us that power and capability is no longer relevant. It's all about looks now.

VeeP

Wouldn’t more power help in future OS updates and keeping iOS/Android running smoothly?

Do you not want Apple and other companies to push the envelope? It allows more graphically intensive games, faster loading on games and intensive apps (like AR apps), etc.

And plus, it’s always fun to see how much power we can take mobiley. I loved seeing phone bench marks 5 years ago, I love it today.

And shit while I’m at it, I’m excited about the power the Switch 2 will have.

snap

Banned
this has probably been posted but the Iphone 7 beats the S8 and S8 Note and Oneplus 5 and the Essential phone is in dead last in this guy's tests of opening and running apps and transcoding video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMiTOKKX7ek

ja2U7Fv.jpg

speed tests are always trash because there are OS differences and results on a single handset vary so significantly based on what's running in the background and what state the phone is in.

and now the argument is...too powerful?

I'll try to remember this when I hear someone bitching about memory.

These goalposts are moving so fast I almost can't keep up.

it's k. androidGAF has informed us that power and capability is no longer relevant. It's all about looks now.

what does memory have to do with cpu or gpu speed?

rambis

Banned
The comparison in my post was between the A11 (iPhone 8/X)/A10X (iPad Pro) and the Tegra X1 (Switch, Shield). The OP's post was about CPU performance. That the S8's GPU is faster than that of the iPhone 7's (A10) is irrelevant.

For what it's worth, though, the A10X and A11 blow away the S8 in 3D tests, too.

First off no, the numbers in the OP article are more than CPU. Don't know why this has to be explained when you just quoted numbers from the article that werent CPU only....

Secondly, what you were talking about is irrelevant. I didnt quote you, you quoted me.

3rdly GFXbench is far more than a GPU test. Its a real world gaming benchmark.

Ah, okay, that helps. For some reason i thought the higher the resolution = more CPU intensive it became. Do you know if the tests were run in the S8/S8+ default modes or at the higher resolution options?

Offscreen tests are always 1080p so that's what you need to look for.

Also, funny shit, the iPhone 6+/6S+/7+/8+ actually renders internally at 1242 x 2208 and downsamples to 1080 x 1920 unless you're rendering directly to a 1080p surface (i.e. game or movie). So it's actually rendering 30% more performance than normal 1080p display.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Offscreen tests are always 1080p so that's what you need to look for.

Also, funny shit, the iPhone 6+/6S+/7+/8+ actually renders internally at 1242 x 2208 and downsamples to 1080 x 1920 unless you're rendering directly to a 1080p surface (i.e. game or movie). So it's actually rendering 30% more performance than normal 1080p display.

That is interesting, I didn't know that. I actually have an S7 Edge for personal use and (had) an iphone 6+ for work. I definitely noticed the Iphone as more efficient, especially with battery.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Wouldn’t more power help in future OS updates and keeping iOS/Android running smoothly?

Do you not want Apple and other companies to push the envelope? It allows more graphically intensive games, faster loading on games and intensive apps (like AR apps), etc.

And plus, it’s always fun to see how much power we can take mobiley. I loved seeing phone bench marks 5 years ago, I love it today.

And shit while I’m at it, I’m excited about the power the Switch 2 will have.

I love the technological improvements. I'm just saying that for what most of use ours phones for, the power would probably go to waste.

But you do make a good point about the viability of the phone for the future.

Barzul

Why don’t other manufacturers spend on the R&D to create their chips in house? Surely Apple didn’t have their current competency right out the gate with the first iPhone? Is there a reason that manufacturers like Samsung aren’t pursuing this other than the cost? Truely clueless on this topic.

Jeffrey

Apple really needs to update iPhone to better use the power.

IPhone will always destroy Android phones in benchmarks but Android is quite a bit better for power users with true background apps (also a bad thing) multitasking split screen picture in picture etc.

How often does one render and process pics and videos on their phones?

IOS 11 brought a bunch of power usage stuff for iPad. Hope they do the same for iPhone.

IOS 11 still feels like work in progress for iphone x. I assume true ios for tall screen will be ready in ios 12 or 13.

diehard

Fleer
Why don’t other manufacturers spend on the R&D to create their chips in house? Surely Apple didn’t have their current competency right out the gate with the first iPhone? Is there a reason that manufacturers like Samsung aren’t pursuing this other than the cost? Truely clueless on this topic.

Samsung actually is, with their Exynos SoC's. Not many hardware makers are making money, certainly not enough to invest in R&D on an SoC when they can use a Snapdragon. Also , all the lawyers costs when you get sued by Qualcomm sues for making any sort of wireless radio.

bionic77

Apple really needs to update iPhone to better use the power.

IPhone will always destroy Android phones in benchmarks but Android is quite a bit better for power users with true background apps (also a bad thing) multitasking split screen picture in picture etc.

How often does one render and process pics and videos on their phones?

IOS 11 brought a bunch of power usage stuff for iPad. Hope they do the same for iPhone.

IOS 11 still feels like work in progress for iphone x. I assume true ios for tall screen will be ready in ios 12 or 13.
You need the power first before apps can take advantage of it.

And devs will always develop for the lowest common denominator. It takes some time to catch up.

Top Bottom