• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snacknuts

we all knew her
After a great deal of hemming and hawing, I'm about 90% certain that I'm going to pick up a 32GB 3GS tomorrow. I made an appt at my Apple store and will sleep on it, but it looks like I'm probably going to go that way. I really would rather have an Android phone, but T-mobile is kinda shitty around here and Verizon (my current provider) has not made any announcements about getting one. So if I'm going to go with AT&T, I figure I may as well now because not having a smart phone is really getting to be annoying. I obviously don't need one, but it would be super-nice to have and I'm tired of waiting.

zesty said:
After a great deal of hemming and hawing, I'm about 90% certain that I'm going to pick up a 32GB 3GS tomorrow. I made an appt at my Apple store and will sleep on it, but it looks like I'm probably going to go that way. I really would rather have an Android phone, but T-mobile is kinda shitty around here and Verizon (my current provider) has not made any announcements about getting one. So if I'm going to go with AT&T, I figure I may as well now because not having a smart phone is really getting to be annoying. I obviously don't need one, but it would be super-nice to have and I'm tired of waiting.

The just-announced HTC Hero (Android) is the one phone i can say I find sexier than my iPhone (though a lot of that may be influenced by having iPhones for a couple of years now).

xelv

Dosia said:
Whats the best/easiest way to make custom ring tones for the iphone?
I just went ahead and bought iToner. You drop music files into it, cut them and just click on the transfer button. You can all do this in just a few seconds, so I think it's the fastest and easiest way.

xelv said:
I just went ahead and bought iToner. You drop music files into it, cut them and just click on the transfer button. You can all do this in just a few seconds, so I think it's the fastest and easiest way.
Bah, Mac only. Is there a PC equivalent?

Shawn128

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I like to run and am looking into a sports arm band for my iPhone. The thing is, I have a pretty involved case on my iPhone (Switcheasy Rebel Capsul Serpent) and it would be a bitch to take it off and on constantly. The ones I've seen so far are made for just the bare iPhone.

Does anyone know of any arm bands that are big enough to accommodate iPhones already in a case?

BTW, I'm also looking into the Nike+ thing. Any one here have any impressions of it?

Shawn128 said:
BTW, I'm also looking into the Nike+ thing. Any one here have any impressions of it?

I use the stand alone Nike+ with my iPod Nano and like it a lot. It's a great training tool and really motivates you to run. There is even a GAF running group that has monthly challenges and competes against one another.

Sandman7

Has anyone used the ZAGG Invisible Shield on thier iPhone? It seems to have got good reviews and I am looking for something to protect the iPhone from scratches, dust and smudges (while realising that it wont save it from drops and other impacts).

Are there similar (better) products out there?

Zagg is amazing I used it on my Curve and Instinct but don't feel a need for it on my iPhone. I don't understand how it got not so good reviews where ever you checked, it's slim, applies easy, you cab literally go crazy with a key and nothing happens and it leaves no residue. I loved it.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
does anyone elses accelerometer sort of lag on sms messages? It doesn't work sometimes. I'm guessing it's a bug because I've never noticed it on any apps that use it. Just sms.

B!TCH said:
does anyone elses accelerometer sort of lag on sms messages? It doesn't work sometimes. I'm guessing it's a bug because I've never noticed it on any apps that use it. Just sms.
Mail also crashes and lags like crazy when my screen turns. 2.0 is on a comeback tour.

Vyer

Damn, my mom (who has a GS now) sent me (I have a 3G) a video from her phone. Very nice. Very decent quality video.

As if I have more reason to want a GS. :(

Juice

Shawn128 said:
Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I like to run and am looking into a sports arm band for my iPhone. The thing is, I have a pretty involved case on my iPhone (Switcheasy Rebel Capsul Serpent) and it would be a bitch to take it off and on constantly. The ones I've seen so far are made for just the bare iPhone.

Does anyone know of any arm bands that are big enough to accommodate iPhones already in a case?

Nike+ sensors are $19.99 retail. Broke out my three year old one from the original launch for the first time in forever today and it still worked.

First thing to get me to run 5 miles in a day, I'll tell you that much.

No reason to buy a product to make custom ring tones or buy custom ring tones.

Take any song you want and add it to your Itunes Library. Right click the song and choose Get Info.

Go to the options tab and choose the start and end time stamp on the song. Can only be 40 seconds long.

Click OK, and then right click the song and click Convert to AAC.

Find the song in your My Music/Itunes Folder and it should be song.m4a. Rename it to song.m4r. Open the song and it will auto populate into your ringtones in Itunes.

Sync your Iphone and it will be on your phone.

On your iPhone go to ringtones and choose the custom ringtone at the top.

Enjoy!

Brofist

DarthWaiter said:

Take any song you want and add it to your Itunes Library. Right click the song and choose Get Info.

Go to the options tab and choose the start and end time stamp on the song. Can only be 40 seconds long.

Find the song in your My Music/Itunes Folder and it should be song.m4a. Rename it to song.m4r. Open the song and it will auto populate into your ringtones in Itunes.

Enjoy!

yep takes no time to make a ring

Juice

DarthWaiter said:

Enjoy!

I'd rather have a droplet/docklet that does this for me.

magus

DarthWaiter said:

Enjoy!

Good info thanks!

Meier said:
Wow, that thing looks pretty slick. How much heavier does it make your phone?

It makes things a bit heavier, but the additional battery life makes the extra heft more than worth it. The additional weight may turn off some, but I'm in the small minority that thinks the iPhone was too thin and light.

I got mine when it was $100 as a gift, but the new retail price is $80.

magus said:
What FM transmitters do you guys use to listen to the iphone in your cars?

I'm looking at the following:

Advanced Car Mount System for Apple iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd Generation - 360 degrees rotating flexible Neck, built-in cutting edge FM Transmitter

Griffin Roadtrip

I need an FM transmitter not a deck replacement.

I've been looking for something like that for my car, but the problem is I need something with a longer neck. It just doesn't fit well in my car with that short of a neck. I'd love it if someone could point out something that was just a bit longer.

magus said:
I need an FM transmitter not a deck replacement.

FM transmitter quality is sketchy at best, and when it is working its basically going to sound as good as an FM radio station (i.e. not good). If you plan on using your iphone/pod in your car a lot I would definately recommend a new deck. It sounds like a huge deal but it really isn't, you can get a decent one at Best Buy for like $100 installed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Dosia said:
Whats the best/easiest way to make custom ring tones for the iphone?

Better question: How do I get custom sounds for incoming texts? All of the default ones are either boring or exceedingly annoying.

Sean

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
FM transmitter quality is sketchy at best, and when it is working its basically going to sound as good as an FM radio station (i.e. not good). If you plan on using your iphone/pod in your car a lot I would definately recommend a new deck. It sounds like a huge deal but it really isn't, you can get a decent one at Best Buy for like $100 installed.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking of doing. I used to have an FM transmitter (Griffin iTrip) for my older iPod and even when it was working at its best there was always a slight hiss to the music.

I've seen some pretty nice looking decks with an aux input around the $60 range and the Best Buy employee told me their installation fee is $50 which doesn't seem too bad.

I dropped by my Apple Store today to grab a dock for my 3GS and there was quite a line of people waiting while I was there for an iPHone. A week after the release, and there were still at least 25 people there waiting to get in on the new phone.

Meier

Marty Chinn said:
Jailbreak
Ah ha, I knew something required jailbreaking..glad to have found out last week it wasn't ringtones. Not having my CTU sound as the text alert is going to be very, very weird. :(

Ashhong

Sandman7 said:
Has anyone used the ZAGG Invisible Shield on thier iPhone? It seems to have got good reviews and I am looking for something to protect the iPhone from scratches, dust and smudges (while realising that it wont save it from drops and other impacts).

Are there similar (better) products out there?

im late, but use BodyGuardz, most sites rate it higher than ZAGG and has a great warranty/price.

Meier said:
Ah ha, I knew something required jailbreaking..glad to have found out last week it wasn't ringtones. Not having my CTU sound as the text alert is going to be very, very weird. :(

I'm tempted to just jailbreak it for custom sounds. I've resisted so long but I may just bite the bullet.

There's one thing I miss from my old phone to which I could configure a normal ringtone and also a ringtone for unknown numbers where it couldn't show the phone number from caller id. I used the Zelda dungeon music for that as the number was mysterious.

Wonder if I can do that while jailbroken.

DarthWaiter said:

Enjoy!

<3 you

Sandman7

jonnybryce said:
Zagg is amazing I used it on my Curve and Instinct but don't feel a need for it on my iPhone. I don't understand how it got not so good reviews where ever you checked, it's slim, applies easy, you cab literally go crazy with a key and nothing happens and it leaves no residue. I loved it.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, what was your reasoning behind not getting one for the iPhone? I was thinking I need one more for the back as I plan to get a white one and wanted to protect the back moreso than the front.

Ashhong said:
im late, but use BodyGuardz, most sites rate it higher than ZAGG and has a great warranty/price.

Cool - are those available in the UK by any chance?

Sandman7 said:
Thanks. Out of curiosity, what was your reasoning behind not getting one for the iPhone? I was thinking I need one more for the back as I plan to get a white one and wanted to protect the back moreso than the front.

Cool - are those available in the UK by any chance?

He has a case so back is protected.. and the screen is glass so it takes some hard material to really scratch it.

cvxfreak

I finally managed to play around with the iPhone 3GS at the Shibuya Apple Store, and I was marginally impressed. I turned off Wi-Fi and played around with the web browser, and it does load pages faster than the 3G, but from what I could gather, this is tied to the browser's ability to load super-quickly rather than the network itself (since I don't think Softbank improved their network for the 3GS).

Otherwise, for sites that required loading, it seemed about the same as the 3G, or not considerably faster. But I liked the lighter weight of the phone and the snappiness of all the apps. Feels like a bigger jump from the previous generation than the 3G was. Still, for the moment, my 3G works perfectly and has also gotten considerably faster with the 3.0 update.

I can't wait to see what updates Apple brings about next year. Unless I lose or break my 3G, I'm probably going to skip the 3GS. I can already taste that 64GB next-gen iPhone. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom