• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Xamdou said:
Finally got my Iskin solo nightcrawler in the mail and wow it looks amazing! The material isn't plastic, but feels more gel like. The case is a bit translucent so the apple logo in the back is showcased with a tint of navy blue.

I've had my iPhone 3gs with no screen protector since launch since I didn't see a need for it. But since the iskin solo includes a screen shield I put it on and now i have front screen scratch protection. The iskin solo case provides drop protection so overall complete ease of mind plus looking very stylish.

I've heard conflicting information on screen protectors for the 3GS. Anecdotal, just-reasonable-enough-to-be-valid arguments that the oleophobic coating and screen protector adhesives possibly don't play nicely together. Hell, in the 3GS manual there are specific cleaning instructions that differ from the 3G instructions, namely the standard "lint-free cloth" is NOT supposed to be damp or otherwise moistened at all.

And let me tell you something, that oleophobic coating is *sweet*. Between fingerprints and face smudging, it's a God-send.

My one and only gripe is that there is still no flash support which prevents access to numerous websites. Perhaps Apple intentionally kept out flash support since there are a lot of websites with free flash games? If Apple did include flash support then their apple store won't be as grand as before ;0

Eh, take that to its logical conclusion. There are plenty of websites that have the same information and/or functionality of [x] apps in the App Store and Apple isn't blocking those. I hardly have knowledge on the matter, but my gut's telling me it's about a 50/50 split between politics and technology.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Eaten By A Grue said:
Oh lawd I made the mistake of updating Myst on my phone instead of my PC. Here I am thinking it is a tiny update, but I think it turned out being around 500MB+. Needless to say my phone battery is in the red now. :lol

it's not like computers where it patches the fixed areas, you download the entire program again when you hit update

Blackhead

Redarse
Eaten By A Grue said:
I know that, but you have to resume it sometime! It does not let you delete apps while in the process of updating.
yeah, but ive found that if you download it later on your computer and sync it overwrites the still downloading app

Tobor

Sean said:
That seems even better. Same price, doesn't need to recharge (just pop in new batteries) and is from a reputable brand.

Does it has a pass-through dock connector on it (so that you can charge it with that and still have access to the dock connector)? I'm guessing no but it would be nice.

edit: doesn't say iPhone 3G compatibility, only iPod touch? should work though since the dock connector is the same though right?

I was able to find the box and it does indeed say it's for the iPhone 3G and 2G.

iPhoneUpload.jpg

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
RevenantKioku said:
Anyone having issues with text input being slow again?

Not really. It's not nearly as bad as it used to be so I haven't noticed it as much. I've only noticed slow down when it switches to landscape in SMS (the few times it actually works that is). Granted the phone has all these complicated calculations to figure out but I'm far too impatient to grant it that courtesy.

Sean

Banned
Tobor said:
I was able to find the box and it does indeed say it's for the iPhone 3G and 2G.

Thanks dude. Ordered it on Amazon (third party seller) - 98 cents and $4.49 shipping, total came out to just $5.47. Can't complain at that price. I don't travel too much either so don't really need a better one, this seems like a decent and cheap solution to give the phone a little bit of extra juice.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Probably been asked a thousand times but Im new to the iphone.

Does itunes convert avi/divx files to mp4?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion on what to use?

Thanks

I was going to do a full thread but I'll just ask here: I lost my touch and instead of buying a new one now I'm just going to wait for the fall update. Has anything been rumored in regards to this? I see online about a camera maybe being integrated, possibly a 64GB storage, and an update from 2.1 to 2.2.1 (sorta like the 1/2 gen upgrade the classic line got, I guess?). I still have my classic so I can wait. I do miss the 2x podcasting, even if I did have to turn it off for some podcasts (1up show and the crosstalk was like a bunch of chipmunks arguing).

Britprog

Dizzan said:

Thanks

No iTunes does not covert those files.

You need to convert them yourself before putting them on iTunes.

Meier

Quick question, if I a network has a log-in after you connect, is there anyway to store that info as well to automate it?

Meier said:
Quick question, if I a network has a log-in after you connect, is there anyway to store that info as well to automate it?

Under 3.0 you can go to Settings, then select Safari, and turn on the AutoFill option.

Dosia

Dosia said:
So I ordered the Revo2, but I am reading that the screen protecting film takes away the sensitivity. Is there a better film that I can buy that will work with the Revo2? Or do most of the films do this?

Any ideas fellas?

Rekwest

Dizzan said:

Thanks

Try: Alive Iphone Video Converter is very fast and easy to use.

Dosia said:
Any ideas fellas?

First, there's a chance you probably won't even notice, a lot of people that post about stuff online are really anal about nonsense. Second, you really don't need a protector unless you can't have a dedicated pocket for your iPhone (as in, it won't be with keys and chance bouncing around). I've used and recommend the Zagg Inivisible shield, but I'm not 100% sure if it's compatible with revo2. I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't be, it's thin and covers the entire face of the iPhone. Check it out if you feel you need a protector.

mrkgoo

jonnybryce said:
First, there's a chance you probably won't even notice, a lot of people that post about stuff online are really anal about nonsense. Second, you really don't need a protector unless you can't have a dedicated pocket for your iPhone (as in, it won't be with keys and chance bouncing around). I've used and recommend the Zagg Inivisible shield, but I'm not 100% sure if it's compatible with revo2. I cannot think of a reason why it wouldn't be, it's thin and covers the entire face of the iPhone. Check it out if you feel you need a protector.

True, I think the biggest way to protect your iPhone is to simply not stick it in your pocket with your keys. Besides scratching, you run the risk of bending over and the pressure of an object upon the glass just cracking it - not screen protector will help you there.

mrkgoo said:
I did a test of my iPhone 3G on 3.0 battery life last night.

Around 10pm, fully charged.

Played a game of scrabble, listened to a couple songs. Put it to sleep.

8am, I wake it up and it's giving the 20% warning. So it must've used at least 80% power over night with the actual usage coming in at about 15 minutes. Of course, the phone reports around 4 hours use - I've heard push notifications cause it to page using the GSM antenna all the time, and possibly the cause of the battery life drop. This makes sense - even though I have no data plan, push MUST be paging often to check. OR trying to connect. I know when I finally connect to wifi, a bunch of apple push servers show up on my router.

I've charged it close to full again, and am turning off push notifications for the day and see how I go.

I've been zeroing in on the drastic reduction in battery life since I upgraded to 3.0 (or maybe when I activated push notifications on BeeJive). I'm not talking like losing 10-20% - I'm saying reduction DOWN TO 20% of what I uses to get. I was able to go 2-3 days before (2 days on some use, 3 days on minimal), but now it's like I can't even let it go overnight without it draining - doing nothing.

1st test:

Overnight (around 12 hours):
Full charge. I have no 3G or bluetooth, but I have Wifi and push notifications on (email set to fetch manually). I checked it for a few minutes before sleeping it before going to sleep myself. In the morning, I get the 20% warning! The usage says something around 3.5 hours usage and 10.5 standby. Could this be right?

2nd test:
I recharge to near full and take it to work, but this time I switch of push notifications. I get 4 hours usage and 12 hours standby. I used it slightly moderately (2 hours ipod, 1 hour wifi. Seems about the same. I was sure push notifications was the issue, but this would seem like it did nothing.

3rd test:
After installing a new version of skype, I REBOOTED the iPhone. I charged it to full, out it to sleep and went to bed. In the morning, I'm still reporting 100% power, with 1 min usage and 7 hours standby.

It's clear that this is how it's meant to be. Usage should be close to zero overnight - and the 3-4 hours usage I'm getting on other nights is what is causing the drain. It's like a background process is keeping the iPhone in use while in sleep (now you know why Apple want to discourage background apps). What is this process? A buggy app? Perhaps. My bet is still that it's a buggy push notification, or maybe even that's how it's supposed to work. Regardless of what people think, I believe push MUST maintain a connection with Apple servers - and maybe this connection is draining. I reckon a reboot cleared out my previous connection after I switched notifications off. Perhaps switching it off turns off alerts, but maintains the connection until you reboot. Maybe.

I think my iPhone will hold out the day again. I might try switching on push notifications again to see how it pans out later.

cvxfreak

RevenantKioku said:

Me too, especially for Japanese text input. Along with the ten-key popping up after turning it off, Japanese input has been wonkier than with the previous firmware.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
mrkgoo said:
I think my iPhone will hold out the day again. I might try switching on push notifications again to see how it pans out later.

Very interesting. I'm going to run some similar tests because I'm having similar battery issues.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've got something of a dilemma; my iPhone had a bright white stuck pixel, which I halfway fixed by running Pixelmetrist. It's now a rather faded white, and barely noticeable (and very, very small).

I've got an appointment at my local Apple Store on Thursday to swap it out, but I'm worried I'll get a screwed up refurb, or a unit with a really bad screen. I'm wondering if I should just be content with the unit I've currently got.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Chiggs said:
I've got an appointment at my local Apple Store on Thursday to swap it out, but I'm worried I'll get a screwed up refurb, or a unit with a really bad screen. I'm wondering if I should just be content with the unit I've currently got.

Why would they give you a refurb? If you get another one with a bad screen, can't just go through the replacement process again?

Slacker

Any "Tweetie" users out there? I'm getting a little tired of waiting for the dang update to be posted by Apple. Apparently the dev submitted it 6/13, and it's still nowhere in site from the App Store. >___<

Dosia

jonnybryce said:

Thanks, I will look at the Zagg. The phone has to last me 2 years, so I might as well get a screen protector if the revo2 screen does infact make it less reseponsive. Hopefully it's nothing serious and it works out.

Dosia said:
Thanks, I will look at the Zagg. The phone has to last me 2 years, so I might as well get a screen protector if the revo2 screen does infact make it less reseponsive. Hopefully it's nothing serious and it works out.
A lot of us have used this phone for two years. Seriously: you do not need to protect the screen. You can purposely slice the shit out of it with a key and it will likely not do anything. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Slacker said:
Any "Tweetie" users out there? I'm getting a little tired of waiting for the dang update to be posted by Apple. Apparently the dev submitted it 6/13, and it's still nowhere in site from the App Store. >___<

Sorry I use twitterfon.

Dosia

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
A lot of us have used this phone for two years. Seriously: you do not need to protect the screen. You can purposely slice the shit out of it with a key and it will likely not do anything. There are plenty of YouTube videos showing this.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well if the screen is that scratch resistant then it really is no big deal to me.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dosia said:
Oh, I didn't know that. Well if the screen is that scratch resistant then it really is no big deal to me.
Do not trust him.
My 2G phone's screen got a half inch scratch from toppling forward the dock and onto the table it was sitting on. A 2 inch fall forward.... damn cat.

My 3G got a minor knick and ding as well, AFTER I took the PowerSupport Anti-Glare (the only good screen protector, sold at Apple stores) off
I've never seen anyone that's had an iPhone more than a couple of months and have a perfect screen.

I only like the screen cover I mentioned above, they're $14.95 for two.

Seth C

dallow_bg said:
Do not trust him.
My 2G phone's screen got a half inch scratch from toppling forward the dock and onto the table it was sitting on. A 2 inch fall forward.... damn cat.

My 3G got a minor knick and ding as well, AFTER I took the PowerSupport Anti-Glare (the only good screen protector, sold at Apple stores) off
I've never seen anyone that's had an iPhone more than a couple of months and have a perfect screen.

Huh...I used a screen protector for the first 6 months or so, and haven't since (I got my 3G at launch). The front of the iPhone is still in perfect condition. The back, however, it scratched and beat all to hell, and even has a massive crack forming from the bottom.

dallow_bg said:
Do not trust him.

Well that's not true, my boyfriend has had his 3G since launch day and doesn't have a protector or case, he doesn't baby it at all and the screen is still in perfect as new condition.
Likewise with my old iPod touch before I got an iPhone, no case or protector, always just shoved in my pocket, had it for 8 months and screen was so immaculate that I sold it for only £30 less of the original retail price.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
People have different experiences, but he shouldn't try to convince him the glass is scratch proof. (the back gets worn much quicker of course)

It still hurts my soul everytime I see the little imperfection on my 3G's glass.

mrkgoo

dallow_bg said:
Do not trust him.

I don't use a protector on either my iPod touch or iPhone, and the screens are still great.

The back of the iPod touch is a little scuffed up, however.

I would note that I actually keep my iphone/touch in a sock that I made out of that cleaning cloth they pack in with iMacs (the newer iPhone cloth is too small).

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:

I would also disagree with this. My 3g is well taken care of (never in contact with keeys or change) and has somehow gotten a couple of tiny scratches on the screen. It is about 6 months old.

My advice would be to get a protector of some sort if this kind of thing bothers you.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I should add that I consider my 3G's screen, despite the knick, to be very good. It's probably what most people here would call "great".

I just like things like this to be flawless.
For that, you need the cover.

dallow_bg said:
People have different experiences, but he shouldn't try to convince him the glass is scratch proof. (the back gets worn much quicker of course)

It still hurts my soul everytime I see the little imperfection on my 3G's glass.

This. Some people have scratches and some people have none, even when they throw it into a not so empty pocket in their purse. There's no rule, so do what you need to do. As for me, I'm on team "No protector needed."

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't know how good the 3GS screen is in direct sunlight but a v ery good benefit of the Power Support AntiGare is using the phone outside. It is summer after all...

mrkgoo

Crappy 500 error and Safari refreshing hen you go back.

Rewrite:

I suppose it's a personal thing whether you want a protector or not. It depends on how you treat your iPhone and how much minor dings annoy you. A minor one wouldn't annoy me, but I also don't ever put my iPhone in nude with anything else. AT the very least I use a sock thing. I very much prefer to use my phone naked. So to speak.

Blackhead

Redarse
joelseph said:
I was wondering if there are any new rumors on when the iPhone might be coming to the Verizon network?
None. Also no rumors of the tablet appearing in September ;). Still early though

Edit: iPhone 3.1 beta out for devs. Just bug fixes? Can you now switch orientation in safari when the keyboard is out?

xsarien

daedsiluap
joelseph said:
I was wondering if there are any new rumors on when the iPhone might be coming to the Verizon network?

I wouldn't hold my breath. God knows it's easier on Apple producing a GSM handset. If Verizon's in the cards, it's probably not going to be until they rollout the LTE network.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Sean said:
There's a good write-up here published a few days ago: Why AT&T Has a Lock on the iPhone

That write-up's ignoring the almighty dollar, and it doesn't really take into account the multiple phones that come in both GSM and CDMA variants.

Apple *could* do it. Hell, as the story goes they went to Verizon *first*, so the thought of producing two pieces of hardware had to factor into their plans at some point. But AT&T has a contractual lock on the thing for a bit longer, and if Apple's smart they'll stay with AT&T until the technologies finally line-up, or forever if they're offered enough cash or incentives or kick-backs.

Juice

Charred Greyface said:
I don't know how good the 3GS screen is in direct sunlight but a v ery good benefit of the Power Support AntiGare is using the phone outside. It is summer after all...

The 3GS in direct sunlight is FLAWLESS. I was shocked by how good it looked. Especially next to my Edge, on which I could hardly make anything out.

Mar

dallow_bg said:
Do not trust him.

My launch 3G phone is still in perfect condition, and I've never used a screen protector nor a case.

It has some fine scratches on the back because I just chuck it on tables (I don't leave it in my pocket when I'm sitting).

Shaneus

There was a test on YT of a guy running a key over the screen and it didn't scratch at all. After seeing that, I'm confident that I won't need a protector at all. I'm buying a GrooveShield Form for the back (seeing as that seems the most prone to scratches) but the screen itself I'm not worried about in the slightest.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, one of the things that most impressed me about the iPhone is the build quality. I've had it for a year now, and it looks great still and the screen is still perfect. I've taken good care of it, but I've done the same for all my phones and after a year, both my HTC phone and Sony Ericsson phones were looking quite worn.

Barring any disasters *crosses fingers* my iPhone will easily make it to the end of my AT&T contract, just in time for the 4th gen iPhone, or whatever other cool phone gets announced on AT&T or elsewhere.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RevenantKioku said:
On 3GS? :p
No...

You may wanna try restoring the phone when things get sluggish - I think storage reordering/optimization that you get out of restoring, helps things.

aparisi2274

I am not sure if anyone knew about this nice new feature with the 3Gs, but if you are using those in-ear Apple headphones with the volume control:

828481b0c8a07a445f08e110.L.jpg

Originally when they came out, Apple had said that the volume control on it would only work on iPods and iPod touch, but that the remote functionality (REW, SKIP, PAUSE) would work with iPhones.

Anyway, last night I was out jogging and I had to lower the volume on a song, and on a whim I tried the volume control on the headphones and sure enough it worked. So I am not 100% sure if it was some unannounced feature in the 3.0 OS or something built into the 3Gs phone itself.

Just thought I would pass that along to any other 3Gs user who has those headphones.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
aparisi2274 said:
Anyway, last night I was out jogging and I had to lower the volume on a song, and on a whim I tried the volume control on the headphones and sure enough it worked. So I am not 100% sure if it was some unannounced feature in the 3.0 OS or something built into the 3Gs phone itself
Yeah, they are 100% compatible with 3GS. Or 99%, as pressing and holding volume buttons won't lead to continuous volume decrease/increase. You have to keep pushing volume buttons repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom