• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Symphonia

Banned
So I was looking online this morning at tariffs for the iPhone 8/8+ on multiple UK networks on a similar plan to mine. The average price for 20GB data with unlimited calls/texts, on an 8 Plus, is £90. So I’m going to be looking at a minimum of £100/month for an X. Fuck.

Damon

So I was looking online this morning at tariffs for the iPhone 8/8+ on multiple UK networks on a similar plan to mine. The average price for 20GB data with unlimited calls/texts, on an 8 Plus, is £90. So I’m going to be looking at a minimum of £100/month for an X. Fuck.

Probably why EE is only seemingly offering the 64GB X model. No info on the 256 on their website, they probably weighed it up and thought nah its a waste of money buying 256GB especially at the price it would likely be on contract.

Symphonia

Banned
Probably why EE is only seemingly offering the 64GB X model. No info on the 256 on their website, they probably weighed it up and thought nah its a waste of money buying 256GB especially at the price it would likely be on contract.
I didn’t know EE have price plans for the X. O2, my current provider, have no details whatsoever. But they have plenty of price plans and info for the 8.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

vodafone saying £68 per month.

Or get an X on apple payments for £48pm interest free, and a £10-20 sim only deal

Dandte

£100/month for a 64GB iPhone X.

A lot of things are crazy expensive in the UK.

Vodafone Germany
Iphone 8+ 256 gb with 4gb lte for 60,29€ monthly for 24 months (if booked online) and pre payment of 529 €.

Iphone 8+ 256 gb with 14gb lte for 67,29€ monthly for 12 months and the next 12 months 87,29 (if booked online) and pre payment of 429 €.

So roughly 2011,44 GBP.

The X can't be ordered at carriers in germany atm.

Three are doing an 8+ 64GB with 12GB data for £79 upfront and £60 a month, or 30GB data for £65 a month.

So I could easily see £100 upfront and £70+ a month for the X.

Genocyber

I feel your pain.

For comparison in Australian I'm paying £785.17 outright for an iPhone 8 256GB and £30 a month for 11GB of cellular data.

Total price over 12 months is £1145.17.

ElyrionX

The iPhone 8 is effectively the fourth generation of the same physical shell that began with the 6. That's the longest we've seen thus far right?

I can't believe how undesirable they've made the 8.

Zaph

Holy shit.

That works out at just shy of two grand.

Those are annual upgrade plans (exchange your phone after 12 months for the latest version - assuming its in good working order) which bumps up the price a lot, but yeah, people really need to do the maths when committing to plans.

iPhones hold their value really well. If you buy it outright, get a sim-only 12 month contract (~£160), you can sell your phone and stay on an annual upgrade cycle for a much more reasonable price.

aravuus

The iPhone 8 is effectively the fourth generation of the same physical shell that began with the 6. That's the longest we've seen thus far right?

I'm actually much more interested in the 8 right now lol. I bought an iPad last night and think I kinda fell in love with iOS, so I decided that my next phone is definitely going to be an iPhone, most likely 8 or 8 Plus around Christmas or January.

The more I see of X, the less I like the design.

It has that glass back now. But, yeah it looks the same. Everyone going X despite the price. Oct 27th is going to be crazy.

Im waiting for Telenor to pull their fingers out although I will probably just buy it sim free here.

Im still super salty that Nordic nations don't get the cellular Apple Watch.

Symphonia

Banned
I posted the prices and a link earlier. It's expensive lol.
I’m stuck using mobile data, can you link me to your post or to the O2 page?

Edit: Oh, found it, that’s EE. Not too bad, but I’m looking to stay with O2 on the Refresh program. Damn.

Acheteedo

I used to clamour for the latest iphone upgrade the second my previous contract finished.

But last time it finished, the latest phone was the iPhone 7 with no headphone jack, so the first time I decided to wait. Here I am, still rocking a 6 Plus, waiting for a phone that demands an upgrade. Looks like I'll be waiting for yet another cycle.

Emoji's and a non-rectangular screen?? Get your shit together, Apple. I'm so close to jumping ship.

Red

I used to clamour for the latest iphone upgrade the second my previous contract finished.

But last time it finished, the latest phone was the iPhone 7 with no headphone jack, so the first time I decided to wait. Here I am, still rocking a 6 Plus, waiting for a phone that demands an upgrade. Looks like I'll be waiting for yet another cycle.

Emoji's and a non-rectangular screen?? Get your shit together, Apple. I'm so close to jumping ship.
Non-rectangular?

Oxn

Me and you both. Got a 6 Plus on release date, so its like exactly 3 years old now. Suprisingly the battery is holding up pretty well. I get well over a day.

DrFurbs

You know what? £100 for a device that would last you a few years is ok. But we all know phones begin to magically act up after 2 years. Not one of my phone's ever lasted 2 years and I'm a moderate user that looks after everything I owe.

Symphonia

Banned
You know what? £100 for a device that would last you a few years is ok. But we all know phones begin to magically act up after 2 years. Not one of my phone's ever lasted 2 years and I'm a moderate user that looks after everything I owe.
That and the fact that you just know Apple will release an XS next year, while you’re still tied to a two-year contract on the X. With O2 Refresh, I’m in a one-year contract but still face paying £100+ a month for a similar tariff on the X.

dc89

I’m stuck using mobile data, can you link me to your post or to the O2 page?

Edit: Oh, found it, that’s EE. Not too bad, but I’m looking to stay with O2 on the Refresh program. Damn.

For what it's worth I think o2 will be cheaper than EE with more tariff choice.

With the wireless charging I can see it being a lot more convenient when the charging mat is built into another device like a lamp. IKEA do them I think.
Would be good for a bedside table, doesn't need two plugs and just rest it on it when going to sleep.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RoundedRectangle.html

Apple has a patent on rectangles with rounded corners.

They’ve also, like, always used rounded rectangles in their design language.

Is this a rectangle to you??

8t9WWeU.png

I have an EE max plan with 15GB data for £16 month, I’ll buy the 64GB X outright which works out to about £1380 over £24 months.

Much cheaper than an EE contract.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Yeah, single device “wireless” charging is almost entirely moot for me. The whole “rip cable out” I mean it’s a half second to unplug.

Now multi-device pads.. that holds a little more interest. But I don’t have an S3 watch yet and I can’t see myself paying $70 to upgrade my AirPod case. Also still put off by inductive speeds especially now that the phones will support rapid charging.

Now TRUE wireless charging. Bring it on. Though I doubt we’ll see much within the next 8 years.

Yeah, single device ”wireless" charging is almost entirely moot for me. The whole ”rip cable out" I mean it's a half second to unplug.

Now multi-device pads.. that holds a little more interest. But I don't have an S3 watch yet and I can't see myself paying $70 to upgrade my AirPod case. Also still put off by inductive speeds especially now that the phones will support rapid charging.

Now TRUE wireless charging. Bring it on. Though I doubt we'll see much within the next 8 years.

Will the wireless pad from Apple only work with an S3 watch?

I am interested in wireless charging for my phone because I always end up having problems with the lightning port on my phones. I have had the same problem with both the 5S and 6. From what I can tell a lot of lint gets caught up in the port and I need to clean it out every so often. It's not an end of the world scenario but wireless charging would solve the issue.

Vuze

Will the wireless pad from Apple only work with an S3 watch?
Apparently so which sucks. But whatever, I really don't mind the watch charger. The new AirPods case will probably be 80-90 bucks over here and - from my understanding - only work with the AirPower charger anyway. Eff that. iPad really is the biggest offender in terms of plugging in imo.
I'll wait until there are some reviews about Qi pads for the iPhone 8/X and then craft a wooden charging station with the pad + Watch charger + lightning (AirPods) for my nightstand.

I should also look up power loss and health concerns with Qi pads before. Haven't bothered at all with the topic.

Apparently so which sucks. But whatever, I really don't mind the watch charger. The new AirPods case will probably be 80-90 bucks over here and - from my understanding - only work with the AirPower charger anyway. Eff that. iPad really is the biggest offender in terms of plugging in imo.
I'll wait until there are some reviews about Qi pads for the iPhone 8/X and then craft a wooden charging station with the pad + Watch charger + lightning (AirPods) for my nightstand.

I should also look up power loss and health concerns with Qi pads before. Haven't bothered at all with the topic.

That's disappointing. I was going to wait for that AirPower pad but I guess I will just grab another Qi charger after reading some reviews.

Edit: AirPower works with Series 2 and 1 Apple Watches as well:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3224389/mobile-accessories/apple-airpower-features-specs-price-faq.html

AirPower works with the new series 3 Apple Watch, as well as the Apple Watch Series 2, the original Apple Watch, the Appel Watch Edition, Apple Watch Hermes, and the Apple Watch Nike+.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don’t care about wireless charging at all. It’ll be good for it to become standardised in hotels and such. That’s really the only situation I can imagine caring.
Ok. I stand corrected. Not having to bring multiple blocks and cables to hotels will be super nice. But at home it doesn’t seem to hold much interest for me.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Man the new Apple watch sounds pretty cool. Aside from the fact that it's not available on my carrier. That and...
Bell: The carrier is offering a $5 Smartwatch plan that lets users share data and a phone number with their Canada-wide/Canada-U.S. Share plan through a feature dubbed ‘NumberShare.’

Read more at MobileSyrup.com: Apple Watch Series 3 Canadian availability and pricing

Fuck that. And fuck you Bell.

J-Skee

Man the new Apple watch sounds pretty cool. Aside from the fact that it's not available on my carrier. That and...

Fuck that. And fuck you Bell.

I thought that's how all carriers were doing it, since you can't use the Apple Watch without pairing it with an iPhone anyway.

Fliesen

Yeah, single device ”wireless" charging is almost entirely moot for me. The whole ”rip cable out" I mean it's a half second to unplug.

Now multi-device pads.. that holds a little more interest. But I don't have an S3 watch yet and I can't see myself paying $70 to upgrade my AirPod case. Also still put off by inductive speeds especially now that the phones will support rapid charging.

Now TRUE wireless charging. Bring it on. Though I doubt we'll see much within the next 8 years.

it's less the unplugging, than the plugging imho.
being able to just put your phone down on your nightstand (albeit onto a certain spot) is just much more convenient, especially when it's dark, than fumbling around for that lightning cable you got dangling around. Same goes for the appleWatch.

also, it just looks a lot more tidy than having loose cables everywhere
varv-table-lamp-w-charging-led-bulb__0371033_PH124098_S4.JPG

Also - most importantly - Qi is the first time that you can use the same charger you use for your Apple device with a variety of other devices.
Like, i have this one spot in my living room where we charge iPhones, wireless speakers, our powerbanks, our iPads. It would be nice not to have 2 cables (one lightning and one microUSB) there, but rather a large charging pad.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm actually much more interested in the 8 right now lol. I bought an iPad last night and think I kinda fell in love with iOS, so I decided that my next phone is definitely going to be an iPhone, most likely 8 or 8 Plus around Christmas or January.

The more I see of X, the less I like the design.
Same boat here. I want the 8 over the X, and the $300 trade-in offer at T-Mobile is tempting. I have a paid off 6, so I'm eligible, and Sprint's service is bad. I might switch.

Red

it's less the unplugging, than the plugging imho.
being able to just put your phone down on your nightstand (albeit onto a certain spot) is just much more convenient, especially when it's dark, than fumbling around for that lightning cable you got dangling around. Same goes for the appleWatch.

also, it just looks a lot more tidy than having loose cables everywhere
varv-table-lamp-w-charging-led-bulb__0371033_PH124098_S4.JPG

Also - most importantly - Qi is the first time that you can use the same charger you use for your Apple device with a variety of other devices.
Like, i have this one spot in my living room where we charge iPhones, wireless speakers, our iPads. It would be nice not to have 2 cables (one lightning and one microUSB) there, but rather a large charging pad.
I’m thinking of getting an ikea floor lamp for this.

Fliesen

I'm thinking of getting an ikea floor lamp for this.

i'm rather fond of these ($ 30 each)

jyssen-wireless-charger__0491281_PE624949_S4.JPG

jyssen-wireless-charger__0367619_PE549542_S4.JPG

incredibly easy to install.
Qi charger and USB outlet. I'd put like 3 of them in my Expedit / Kallax sideboard, if i had multiple Qi devices

Vuze

That's disappointing. I was going to wait for that AirPower pad but I guess I will just grab another Qi charger after reading some reviews.

Edit: AirPower works with Series 2 and 1 Apple Watches as well:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3224389/mobile-accessories/apple-airpower-features-specs-price-faq.html
Huh, just this morning I read the exact opposite. Anyway, doesn't really matter for now, the pad won't be out until next year anyway lol

Qi charger and USB outlet. I'd put like 3 of them in my Expedit / Kallax sideboard.
That looks very neat indeed.

Red

Qi charger and USB outlet. I'd put like 3 of them in my Expedit / Kallax sideboard, if i had multiple Qi devices
I’m not sure I understand what this is. Is it a module that can be fitted to any dresser or nightstand? What’s the USB port on the side for? I presume that port is inaccessible once the piece is installed.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I’m not sure I understand what this is. Is it a module that can be fitted to any dresser or nightstand? What’s the USB port on the side for? I presume that port is inaccessible once the piece is installed.

Optional cable charging.

Top Bottom