• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I thought that's how all carriers were doing it, since you can't use the Apple Watch without pairing it with an iPhone anyway.
I don't know how it's working for others. But that's all I know is bell is charging a monthly 5$ number sharing plan. I dunno I just assumed that maybe a one time activation fee at the most.

kaskade

JSkZdUMl.png
0H2reJfl.png

Why is there no carrier less option for the X?
I want to use my work sim and do not have or want my own carrier.

Maybe it's to prevent people buying them unlocked to go sell them overseas?

xkramz

I don't understand why they refused to include a fast charger, especially on its first iteration that include fast charging capabilities.

Fliesen

I'm not sure I understand what this is. Is it a module that can be fitted to any dresser or nightstand? What's the USB port on the side for? I presume that port is inaccessible once the piece is installed.

The USB port on the side is just an extra.

The pad generally sits flush with your desk / dresser / nightstand surface. But you can pull it up to reveal the USB port so you can charge 2 devices at the same time (QI + USB).
giphy.gif

(don't mind the black thing in the back, that's just demonstrating that you can also run cables through the port because it has a cable tunnel built in as well)

That's disappointing. I was going to wait for that AirPower pad but I guess I will just grab another Qi charger after reading some reviews.

Edit: AirPower works with Series 2 and 1 Apple Watches as well:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3224389/mobile-accessories/apple-airpower-features-specs-price-faq.html

ooouh, that is awesome. If so, i'd buy an AirPower pad as soon as i got an iPhone X2 ...
I don't see myself having replaced my appleWatch (gen1) by late 2018. It does what i want it to do perfectly fine, still.

On the topic of wireless chargers, I have this thing from IKEA.

Reasonably stylish and can take a phone, watch and airpods if I so choose. I'm set.

That is Qi? Looks good as well. Has anyone tried the watch on these types of chargers? I have only used the official one.

J-Skee

I don't know how it's working for others. But that's all I know is bell is charging a monthly 5$ number sharing plan. I dunno I just assumed that maybe a one time activation fee at the most.

In the US, AT&T & Verizon are charging $10 a month for the privilege. So at least in my eyes, you're doing better than most.

Fliesen

i wonder, seeing as the AppleWatch charges over a qi compatible interface, yet locked down by Apple to only work with certified chargers...

”The Apple Watch charger that comes with the device is Qi based, but the firm decided not to submit it for interoperability testing," John Perzow, VP of market development at the Wireless Power Consortium, told The Register. ”I think they are using version 1.1.2 of Qi, but the software stack has been altered so that only Apple's charger works with Watch."

https://www.cultofmac.com/398423/apple-forces-you-to-buy-its-own-apple-watch-wireless-chargers/
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...-compliant-with-qi-wireless-charging-standard

and they're now embracing that standard, whether the Series 1 and 2 watches will receive updates to also work with standard Qi charging pads, further down the road.

Fliesen

Barely any advantage over the 8 horizontally. Pretty disappointing.

Capture.png

that's for user interface safe zones, though.
I've yet to know an app that isn't a game or a video player (both of which don't really need to adhere to these safe zones, iirc) that i'd use in landscape mode - anything else would be used in portrait, and here, you'll have get a huge gain.

Sean

Banned
i'm rather fond of these ($ 30 each)

jyssen-wireless-charger__0491281_PE624949_S4.JPG

incredibly easy to install.
Qi charger and USB outlet. I'd put like 3 of them in my Expedit / Kallax sideboard, if i had multiple Qi devices

This is pretty neat, but I'd love to see IKEA build computer desks and furniture where the entire countertop is Qi and it's completely invisible, where it looks just like ordinary furniture. No designated "charger" areas or anything, just put your devices anywhere on the desk and they'll charge.

Not sure how practical that'd be though, like would spilling a drink fuck it up entirely? But that'd feel like the future if they can figure it out.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

did you even read the article? Nothing in there points to apple "mining your data". It simply talks about differential data privacy, inherent problems to its anonymous nature, and that apple could potentially provide the epsilon info on its algorithm to allow people to rest a bit more easy, but clearly out of proprietary concerns has chosen not to.

so to your original "so they say", even the article points out apple is assuredly not doing any sort of mining and doing everything they can to assure our privacy. However that without providing the information on the level of their differential data, just because they haven't correlated the data, there isn't any indication on how easy it may or may not be for someone else to correlate that data in the case of a breach or such.

edit - and further to your "so they say", the entire point of the article is that it IS differential data.. so the actual identifying information rests solely on your phone (facial features, fingerprint, detailed usage, etc) and only the differential usage data is sent up to apple for computation. and we do know (because apple has stated) that there is identifying data on your phone (facial recognition in Photos), and that is (as of iOS 11) synced to your other devices through iCloud, but prior to that, your iCloud data on their servers (backups and such) are now encrypted and signed with a key that exists on your devices. So breaches of your backups (or requests from law enforcement) are locked out without one of your actual unlocked devices to get at the key to access the backups.

Majine

Banned
This is pretty neat, but I'd love to see IKEA build computer desks and furniture where the entire countertop is Qi and it's completely invisible, where it looks just like ordinary furniture. No designated "charger" areas or anything, just put your devices anywhere on the desk and they'll charge.

Not sure how practical that'd be though, like would spilling a drink fuck it up entirely? But that'd feel like the future if they can figure it out.

I can imagine there are about a billion problems with that right now.

It shouldn't. Wireless charging is literally wireless in the same sense as wifi, albeit incredibly short range—it can go through objects. So you could definately seal all the electronics inside of other materials.

I think it would just be really, really expensive to make a desk-sized wireless charger, at least right now. Those things are expensive as is.

Fliesen

It shouldn't. Wireless charging is literally wireless in the same sense as wifi, albeit incredibly short range—it can go through objects. So you could definately seal all the electronics inside of other materials.

I think it would just be really, really expensive to make a desk-sized wireless charger, at least right now. Those things are expensive as is.
I wouldn't call it that. It's much more like NFC.

still, wireless charging is INDUCTIVE charging. There's technical limitations of how big the coil of such a charger can be, i would presume.

I don't think it's feasible for IKEA of all players to make an all QI desk - seeing as they're all about cheap materials.

DOWN

Banned
Anybody got a fast Qi charger they recommend? There seem to be a ton of options on Amazon. What’s the fastest watts/volts I should be looking for in both a Qi and wired charger?

I want a Qi fast charger for most nights and a wired fast charger for when I’m in a pinch and need to boost it back up faster.

Red

Anybody got a fast Qi charger they recommend? There seem to be a ton of options on Amazon. What’s the fastest watts/volts I should be looking for in both a Qi and wired charger?

I want a Qi fast charger for most nights and a wired fast charger for when I’m in a pinch and need to boost it back up faster.
From what I’ve read i believe the new iPhones top out at 7.5W over qi charging. So look for a charger that meets that.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I thought series 3 could do Qi but the older watches and AirPods will only support the upcoming AirPower variant?

In addition to the 8, 8+ and X of course

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
In the US, AT&T & Verizon are charging $10 a month for the privilege. So at least in my eyes, you're doing better than most.
Looks like it. Jeez a monthly watch plan. Yea, guess I'll keep using my fitbit.

Also shout out to ikea. Always wanted to try their wireless charging pads.

Sean

Banned

I wouldn't call it that. It's much more like NFC.

still, wireless charging is INDUCTIVE charging. There's technical limitations of how big the coil of such a charger can be, i would presume.

I don't think it's feasible for IKEA of all players to make an all QI desk - seeing as they're all about cheap materials.

Interesting. Yeah I kind of overlooked the crazy high costs such a desk would probably have. Was more thinking of how cool an all-Qi desk would be conceptually. It could charge your phone, watch, tablet, apple pencil, harmony remote, echo dot, BT headphones, gaming controllers. Your wireless mouse and keyboard would never have to be plugged in. Even things like having a Tile bluetooth tracker connected to your wallet and keychain and you just place those on the desk to re-charge it. Obviously all those products would have to be updated, but that would be a glorious future (a decade from now).

But if it's technically possible, some crazy rich dude could probably mod his desk to have like 50 Qi mats spread across the entire surface and then layer a thin piece of glass on top of it or something. I'd love to see that.

Red

Looks like it. Jeez a monthly watch plan. Yea, guess I'll keep using my fitbit.

Also shout out to ikea. Always wanted to try their wireless charging pads.
If you don’t need LTE, there is no reason to get the plan (or the more expensive watch options). I’m fine with this as long as Apple continues to offer a discounted watch that is LTE-free.

The Series 3 Apple Watch mostly makes me excited for what they do with the Series 4 - I feel like they've grabbed all the low-hanging fruit now that it's got LTE, and that usually pushes Apple to add some pretty interesting new features in the next generation and/or some massive performance optimizations, both of which I'd be delighted to see.

I think it's interesting that the iPhone X doesn't have much low-hanging fruit left either - the only conspicuously missing feature at this point is ProMotion/antireflective coating from the iPad Pro (and, perhaps, a return of TouchID to supplement FaceID at some point). Outside of that, it's really going to be all about performance optimization, new *software* features, and, I guess, EVEN MORE CAMERAS. I would expect ProMotion to happen within the next two years.

borghe

If you don't need LTE, there is no reason to get the plan (or the more expensive watch options). I'm fine with this as long as Apple continues to offer a discounted watch that is LTE-free.

FYI, I disagree about the more expensive watches.....

my OG steel.... flawless finish (if I were to polish the case slightly)

my wife's OG sport... small scratch on the case, AND SMALL SCRATCH ON THE SCREEN

no friggin idea how she did the screen. Funny part is, she isn't overly active.. whereas my watch has been around free weights (including kettlebell snatches) for the last 2.5 years and not a single mark on the screen.

I am actually annoyed that they don't have a non-LTE stainless steel option. I mean the $50 LTE tax isn't the end of the world.. but me personally.. I will never go to a sport. I need that sapphire screen and steel body for durability.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
If you don’t need LTE, there is no reason to get the plan (or the more expensive watch options). I’m fine with this as long as Apple continues to offer a discounted watch that is LTE-free.
My main reason for not buying it is battery life. I was just gonna use LTE for when I go to the gym, listen to music/pod casts.

So much for all that talk on stage about embracing Qi...

I don't even know why they're embracing Qi, except to check off a feature box. Wireless charging has significant energy loss when transmitting to device, so it's not a good look for them considering how much they care about the environment. Yeah it's a small amount of energy per charge, but that adds up when multiplied by millions of iPhones.

DOWN

Banned
I don't even know why they're embracing Qi, except to check off a feature box. Wireless charging has significant energy loss when transmitting to device, so it's not a good look for them considering how much they care about the environment. Yeah it's a small amount of energy per charge, but that adds up when multiplied by millions of iPhones.
They’d be skewered for not including it. It’s a really nice convenient feature, but Apple is about building their products with the right features AND THEN making those in the most environmentally friendly way possible. They won’t skip over essential, good features just because it is inefficient by nature.

Vuze

What's the highest efficiency Qi charger out there anyway? I've skimmed through a few that look appealing to me but a mere 70-75% energy efficiency is quite gross.
Is the Apple Watch charging process similarly lossy? Atleast superficially it seems "well connected" as it snaps into place. But I know too little about what happens behind the scenes.

DOWN

Banned
So the iPhones will take up to 7.5W wireless fast chargers, but the newest Qi standard is up to 15w... So to future proof for next year you should look for a 15w Qi charger (or at least over 10W as the 15w chargers are still rare it seems).

What’s the max charge wattage for cable fast charge in the new iPhones? 29w USB C? Or should you get a higher watt charger than that?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I've bought Apple's charger for fast charging.

29W USB-C Power Adapter
USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

What's the max charge wattage for cable fast charge in the new iPhones? 29w USB C? Or should you get a higher watt charger than that?

On Apple's own pages the iPhone 8, X are listed on the 29W USB-C Power Adapter page only. Not on the higher wattage charges.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MJ262B/A/29w-usb-c-power-adapter

The Apple 29W USB-C Power Adapter offers fast, efficient charging at home, in the office or on the go. While the power adapter is compatible with any USB-C–enabled device, Apple recommends pairing it with your iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus or iPhone X to take advantage of the fast-charging feature. USB-C to Lightning Cable sold separately.

Note there's no reference to iPhone on say the 61w adapter.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MNF72B/A/61w-usb‑c-power-adapter

borghe

All iphones bought from Apple are unlocked as long as you pay in full.

more than that. All phones from apple are unlocked, period. The only difference between paid and not paid is the whole registry for phone payments or some such. So all phones from apple are unlocked, but if you try to activate them under a different service without porting them (i.e. someone else is activating them) they'll come up under the "unpaid" registry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've bought Apple's charger for fast charging.

29W USB-C Power Adapter
USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

On Apple's own pages the iPhone 8, X are listed on the 29W USB-C Power Adapter page only. Not on the higher wattage charges.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MJ262B/A/29w-usb-c-power-adapter

Note there's no reference to iPhone on say the 61w adapter.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MNF72B/A/61w-usb‑c-power-adapter

How fast should it be?

killroy87

Fast charging is something I needed on Android, but never really desired on iPhone. Apple's software makes it so it charges super quick as-is. Plugging my Pixel into a generic USB port was fucking brutal though, it charged soooooo slow.

ShowDog

Barely any advantage over the 8 horizontally. Pretty disappointing.

Capture.png

Nice illustration. While portrait web browsing will be enhanced, in most other uses the display doesn't have much extra usable space at all. At least, not nearly enough to warrant the usability sacrifices of removing Touch ID and the home button.

I'd still prefer a slightly smaller bezeled iPhone 8 with an oled and the face sensors. But maybe I'm getting old, I only just replaced my 5S with a 64gb SE for a cool $250

Top Bottom