• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

Orgun

Im pretty new to pc racing sims. I just picked up a DFGT and pCARS.
I had been wanting to try iRacing for the longest time and I saw the $12 for 3 months deal.
Of all the games I've tried so far, this game feels the best by FAR. Granted I haven't messed with wheel setting too much in pCARS or other games, but in iRacing i didn't have to. The Force Feedback feels perfect to me.
I just wish there was a way to try out other cars and tracks without paying so much.. I don't even know if I'm going to continue to subscribe, so i don't really want to buy content for it.

hmm.

Don't buy any new tracks/cars until you raise your rating high enough that you can use them in races. Otherwise you'll only be able to use them in hosted or test sessions, I made that mistake and bought a bunch of open wheelers (that's what I like to race) and can only use the Skippy in a single event at the moment.

edit: Also, I really want to get a three monitor setup. Either that or TrackIR

mclaren777

"We just partnered with RUF Automobile GmbH to build this!!"

Source

iBHel4PSqSSoN.jpg

Orgun

Just had a great little race. Joined a Mazda cup race with 2 minutes to go, started last (no quali time) and on the first lap I crashed on the last corner lol. Luckily that's right next to the pit entrance, pitted and got repaired (forgot to tell it not to add MORE fuel though!) and got back out on track.
First lap back out, scraped a wall and gave the car a slight veer to the left. At this point I had been lapped by everyone and was in 10th with enough fuel on board for 96 laps in a 20 lap race. I finished 4th :) Just stuck with it, put pressure on the guys in front and forcing them to make mistakes.

REALLY don't like Lime Rock Park though.

edit: Oh and this was posted on the iracing forums. Haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amMmjkrr91A&feature=player_embedded

I hate the Solstice :)

Orgun

It's hard to fault you for the first incident. I'm willing to bet that you were focused on the yellow #3 on the left and that other car just materialized within the smoke screen.

Yup, was focused on dodging that car and then though "YES! I made i through...OH SHIT!" :) Was a fun race after that though, manage to scrape a 0.01 increase on my SR heh

Polyphony

Arg!! I'm spending too much on my virtual racing hobby as of late, but what's another 12$ right?

Anybody wants a 10$ credit for being my referral? Send me a PM, I'll probably sign up later today.

Polyphony

I've been having a really great time with iRacing so far. Love how most people abide by racing etiquette. Gotta bring that safety rating above 4, the promotion date is still so far away...

Arucardo

I need to get back in to actual racing instead of doing free practices all the time. I still need to practice with the skip barber though, I tend to lose the rear under braking more often than I'd like to, that car is a handful compared to the FW31, haha.

Looking forward to doing some MX 5 racing on Lime Rock.

Orgun

Oh my god, i'm so tense. Just finished my first Star Mazda race, qualified in second (no one else did quali lol) and finished 4th. Man, 24 laps in that car is punishing, can't imagine what it's like to drive for reals.

Polyphony

I did an MX-5 Cup race on Lime Rock earlier, started first but missed a gear on the starting line that made me drop down to 5th. It was the first time I drove with a button clutch on the DFGT, feels kind of odd but it works! I managed to claw my way back into 2nd in the end. Going to try and upload a video later. Orgun, how do you turn off the replay interface?

Edit: Space I believe

Phinor

Oh my god, i'm so tense. Just finished my first Star Mazda race, qualified in second (no one else did quali lol) and finished 4th. Man, 24 laps in that car is punishing, can't imagine what it's like to drive for reals.

Ooh, I just finished a Star Mazda race as well but I guess we were in different splits because there were 5-6 qualified people in my split. I decided to start from pits because I'm really terribly slow at Zandvoort, ended up finishing sixth.

Anyway, Star Mazda is absolutely fantastic car for racing if your rivals don't have too high ping and they know how to keep the car in control. You can actually drive half a lap with two cars side by side and that's just something that usually doesn't happen with open wheel cars. The downside is, obviously, that even a small mistake from you or someone else can end your race. Now with NTM it's easier to correct small mistakes which just takes the actual racing to another level. The cars in front of me were within a second of each other pretty much the whole race and after the race they were congratulating each other for the great race. That's just awesome to see.

Orgun

I did an MX-5 Cup race on Lime Rock earlier, started first but missed a gear on the starting line that made me drop down to 5th. It was the first time I drove with a button clutch on the DFGT, feels kind of odd but it works! I managed to claw my way back into 2nd in the end. Going to try and upload a video later. Orgun, how do you turn off the replay interface?

Edit: Space I believe

Yup Space :) Ctrl + F12 to unlock camera editing mode

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ooh, I just finished a Star Mazda race as well but I guess we were in different splits because there were 5-6 qualified people in my split. I decided to start from pits because I'm really terribly slow at Zandvoort, ended up finishing sixth.

Anyway, Star Mazda is absolutely fantastic car for racing if your rivals don't have too high ping and they know how to keep the car in control. You can actually drive half a lap with two cars side by side and that's just something that usually doesn't happen with open wheel cars. The downside is, obviously, that even a small mistake from you or someone else can end your race. Now with NTM it's easier to correct small mistakes which just takes the actual racing to another level. The cars in front of me were within a second of each other pretty much the whole race and after the race they were congratulating each other for the great race. That's just awesome to see.

were you guys in the top or bottom split? I may have been racing with you as well LOL.

Scottify

Just signed up yesterday. I was able to get my Xbox wheel to work well with it, minus force feedback for now. It really brings me back to the Nascar 2003 days. I'm definitely having a lot of fun at Lime Rock in the MX5, although I am quite slow still. I managed around a 1:02.35 for my fast lap. I've only done test sessions too. I don't want to take anyone out in an actual race before I have the track down.

I've only barely run the Legends as I'm much more interested in doing the road courses. So far, so good. That 3 months for 1 was too good a deal to pass up.

Orgun

Just signed up yesterday. I was able to get my Xbox wheel to work well with it, minus force feedback for now. It really brings me back to the Nascar 2003 days. I'm definitely having a lot of fun at Lime Rock in the MX5, although I am quite slow still. I managed around a 1:02.35 for my fast lap. I've only done test sessions too. I don't want to take anyone out in an actual race before I have the track down.

I've only barely run the Legends as I'm much more interested in doing the road courses. So far, so good. That 3 months for 1 was too good a deal to pass up.

Welcome aboard! :)

I've found Ovals to be suprisngly fun in the street stock, I'm not a fan of the Legends things. Maintaining a draft while staying with a pack on top of not hitting the other 50 cars around you while keeping an eye on your temp levels.. all at speed. It's a lot more involving than I thought they'd be.

Open wheel road races is where I'm st though.

They have those 3 for 1 relatively often too.

If your pulling 1:02s I'd say get some races in to get your SR up and get out of the rookie races ASAP! Take it easy and let everyone else crash out :)
Or even do Time Trials if you can do 8 or so clean laps consecutively.

Polyphony

That is my current strategy too in Rookie races. The game really rewards consistency. I try to keep my laptimes steady in the 1:01-1:02's at Lime Rock while everyone around me tries to break records every lap. I let them run through the grass while I coast my way up the rankings with a good SR. So fun.

Scottify

That's a sound strategy for sure. Easier said than done :). People just want to go as fast as they can for every lap they can, and I've been guilty of this too.

But, I'm with you, I'd rather be .5 or more off the pace if I can stay on the track consistently rather than push, push, push and end up in the grass.

Scottify

Some changes to 2012 Season 2: Members Forum Link
iRacing Forums said:
Some highlights:

Cadillac Cup has been added as a special official series open to all members.
Motegi has been added to some schedules on the oval AND road side.
We have added a GT series at the C level with just the Ford GT and Vette.
The Street Stock is now the rookie oval car and the Legends the advanced rookie car. There is a road race on the Legends schedule.

Arucardo

Hearing this MX 5 talk about racing on Lime Rock is painful, can't wait to have a go myself this weekend. I've managed to break the one minute lap time after the NTM update but I need to get used to the car again and this track is perfect for MX5 racing in my opinion.

I'll hook up my head tracking stuff and put in some serious time with the MX 5 this coming weekend. If I want to go really crazy I can hook up the 3D vision stuff too, lol.

Polyphony

I'm interested in head tracking too. Pressing left and right on the DFGT d-pad isn't very convenient, good thing this sim has a spotter though.

Do you plan on using something like TrackIR or Face Track Noir? I saw some pretty interesting projects that involve either a webcam or Wii remote. Going to test some of these out and report my findings.

Arucardo

I'm interested in head tracking too. Pressing left and right on the DFGT d-pad isn't very convenient, good thing this sim has a spotter though.

Do you plan on using something like TrackIR or Face Track Noir? I saw some pretty interesting projects that involve either a webcam or Wii remote. Going to test some of these out and report my findings.

I'm using a PS3 Eye (120fps) and a DIY ir-led cap with Free Track, works great with almost everything (perfect in rFactor for example). There was someone saying that Free Track has input lag but that's most definitely not the case on my setup.

Can't wait for the Cadillac CTS next month (it's free for all subscribers).

I'll try using all of my gear tonight (and look like a legendary internet warrior) to see if it's worth the hassle. I've tested the 3D Vision separately (it's pretty awesome) but I've yet to try the freetrack stuff in iRacing, there's no reason it won't work though.

Polyphony

Nice, I tried with the iSight (iMac's integrated webcam) and the 30 fps isn't too great. Gonna have to do without it for now.

Is there a way to join races with friends by the way?

Orgun

You can join the same hosted session. For official races it's all about your iRacting/SR/Division etc

Started making my own skin, thinking British Racing Green...once I find the right colour code for it! edit: Ah, found it.

iRacingSim2012-04-1320-42-54-63.png

Orgun

Starting to get to grips with this, though I wish i'd started with the high resolution template!

This is fun. Need to find myself some good advertising to put on it and figure out how to change the car numbers to circles

iRacingSim2012-04-1416-15-15-95.png

Orgun

Nice :) If you want to avoid the reckless guys it's always best to qualify.

I'm done with my livery for now until I can figure out to make the super high resolution skins Can't leave it alone.

wEhUf.jpg

rF2An.jpg

Orgun

Got my first win in the Star Mazda! :D

Don't know if it's the golf ball mod, changing my brake curve to 0 or just because i've got my own livery (heh) now but the car feels great.

13pdO.png

Orgun

Congrats, gentlemen!

Are you both fairly new to iRacing or had you subscribed in the past?

Acrid is new but I originally joined in 2010 with one of the 3 for 1 deals. Didn't renew after that but then in 2011 they offered me a year for £40 (iirc) so I took it and only just started using it recently.

Polyphony

I actually enjoy overtaking the slower and more dangerous drivers. Since I qualified, I'm now being placed in the top 2 splits and people are bloody quick.

Top Bottom