• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

Polyphony

Joining in on the fun, just won my 2nd race. Feels good man!

fxxjU.png

AcridMeat

Banned
Funny, Fernando was the guy I had a great battle with in this race.
07KRQ.jpg

I already discussed it with Polyphony but I don't understand why I got so little of a SR boost.

Polyphony

3.84 Safety Rating... it's so hard to keep calm during race especially if you're fighting for the lead. Instinctively, I want to push as hard as I can to overtake but at the same time I don't want to touch the grass and hamper my progress!!

Funny, Fernando was the guy I had a great battle with in this race.
07KRQ.jpg

I already discussed it with Polyphony but I don't understand why I got so little of a SR boost.

I think it's just because you're over the 3.0 threshold. Positive SR increases are much smaller after 3.0 of a class, from my experience.

Overall you're eligible for promotion at the end of the month so there's not much to worry about.

AcridMeat

Banned
I think it's just because you're over the 3.0 threshold. Positive SR increases are much smaller after 3.0 of a class, from my experience.

Overall you're eligible for promotion at the end of the month so there's not much to worry about.

Ah that's a shame. I want to get to 4.0 so I can race the skip barbers immediately!

edit: Wait that doesn't explain why the guy I was battling with went up .42!

Ah that's a shame. I want to get to 4.0 so I can race the skip barbers immediately!

edit: Wait that doesn't explain why the guy I was battling with went up .42!

When you cross a whole number threshold, you get (or lose) bonus SR. It's to prevent people from slipping back and forth between levels.

Polyphony

Okayama Short, let's do this!

Edit: Sorry for forfeiting, man that was really my worst race by far. Guy in front of me decided not to go on race start so I ended up slamming right up his rear, damaging the wheels... Then he just disconnects after the damage is done. I tried to keep going but ended up spinning out on multiple corners, it was undrivable :(. Watching the race from spectator view now.

Orgun

got +.13 on my last race, going to grind the last .04 in time trial.

Tip for TT, don't try to set your fastest time. Just take it easy :) Being on lap 7/8 of the TT and then dipping a wheel on the grass because you were pushing is FRUSTRATING! Especially on the shitty Rookie Mazda tracks.

Had my first Star Mazda race on Watkins Glen last night, didn't go that well lol. On the 3rd corner I turned in and my front left wheel took some SLIGHT damage but it was enough to effect the balance of the car under braking. Figured i'd stay out anyways and ended up sliding sideways into a wal - damaging both the front and rear wheels as well as some aero. Sat in the pits for 8 minutes for repairs. Then started unlapping myself :)
Managed to salvage +.11 on my SR and only -38 on my iRating.

Polyphony

Tip for TT, don't try to set your fastest time. Just take it easy :) Being on lap 7/8 of the TT and then dipping a wheel on the grass because you were pushing is FRUSTRATING! Especially on the shitty Rookie Mazda tracks.

Lol, I learned that first-hand. Acrid, did you reach 4.0 yet? I got a boost of 0.5 in SR last night by doing 21 time-trial laps with 1 off-track incident.

Scottify

I should've heeded that advice too. It took me 18 laps to get 8 clean laps. I just would dip a little over the kerbs on a turn and get a Off Track 1x. I do enjoy Okayama though.

That TT also got me above the Rookie 3.0 mark for road courses. Now I'm torn, do I stick with the Mazda or go to the Solstice or the little spec car?

Polyphony

Check your inboxes.

500-mil_header.jpg

Thanks for being a part of the action here at iRacing.com. We could not have reached this milestone without you.

Because you were one of the more than 3,000 members who participated in an official race on the day we hit 500 million laps you are receiving $5 in iRacing credits. Use the credits for anything you like - put it towards renewing your membership, purchasing a car, track or even a hosted session - the choice is yours.

AcridMeat

Banned
Lol, I learned that first-hand. Acrid, did you reach 4.0 yet? I got a boost of 0.5 in SR last night by doing 21 time-trial laps with 1 off-track incident.
I hit it last night, yeah. Got the skip barber series so I'll be doing that pretty exclusively until the miata series goes back to lime rock.

Also did the promo code you guys got work? Mine says invalid, already emailed support.

edit: Do tracks ever go on sale? Looking at the list of tracks they have I already see at least 3 circuits I want. My home course is in here damn it! Or are any offered with a specific series?

I hit it last night, yeah. Got the skip barber series so I'll be doing that pretty exclusively until the miata series goes back to lime rock.

Also did the promo code you guys got work? Mine says invalid, already emailed support.

edit: Do tracks ever go on sale? Looking at the list of tracks they have I already see at least 3 circuits I want. My home course is in here damn it! Or are any offered with a specific series?

As far as I know track sales are rare. You do get 10%/20%/25% discounts for buying stuff in bulk though (3 items, 6 items, or all remaining items respectively).

If you really like the Miata and are ready to move to D-class races, look into doing the iRacing GT Cup (Miata/Solstice/Jetta MC). The fields are HUGE and since the Miata's a free car you'll have alot of competition. The last race I had there (as a Jetta) was something along the lines 4 Jettas, 3 Solstices, and 21 Miatas.

There's a chart somewhere out there that lists what tracks you'll need to maximize your value for your money and get 8 races in across multiple series. Can't remember where it is.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well I bought the Skip car, though don't mind driving the Miata. However it'll be a little different because they offer the roadster, not the cup in that series. Those do interest me too, will get at all of this stuff when I come home from work today.

I got a response saying their codes had an error and they're working to send out another batch.

Polyphony

Haha it seems the people at iRacing got bombarded with emails. New mail with link and promo code should be in your inboxes.

Shaneus

Is it the same code or are they all different? I don't think I got one :( (but then again, I've really only done a TT or two and that's it).

Orgun

Decent racing, but you really need to work on consistently hitting your apexes. Being more aggressive with other cars (especially drafting) might also help if you want to gain positions.

Otherwise, great video!

Cheers, I'm not too bothered about racing aggressively to win at the moment, i'm just enjoying the friendly racing and increasing my SR to get access to all the cars. That way I can decide which car I want to race most often and then get aggressive.

Polyphony

I'm about to buy the Skippy but I'm also concerned about all the tracks I'll need to race 8 weeks out of 12 next season.

Anybody knows the most economical way of competing with my D license?

Edit:

So since I'm super cheap, I compiled the list of events in the Skip Barber and Grand Tour Cup (Season 2) since I plan on racing in these two series mostly.

Out of the 12 weeks of racing, I can already compete in 6 of them using the tracks given in the base package if I alternate between both series. So the cheapest way would be to buy one of the following:

Watkins
Oulton
Mid-Ohio

Or, I could buy two of the following:

Daytona
Brands Hatch
Infineon
Virginia
Zandvoort
Road Atlanta
Suzuka
Mosport

(Bolded tracks appear twice during Season 2)

Very tempted by Zandvoort... which of the top 3 would you guys buy first?

Orgun

I'm about to buy the Skippy but I'm also concerned about all the tracks I'll need to race 8 weeks out of 12 next season.

Anybody knows the most economical way of competing with my D license?

Edit:

So since I'm super cheap, I compiled the list of events in the Skip Barber and Grand Tour Cup (Season 2) since I plan on racing in these two series mostly.

Out of the 12 weeks of racing, I can already compete in 6 of them using the tracks given in the base package if I alternate between both series. So the cheapest way would be to buy one of the following:

Watkins
Oulton
Mid-Ohio

Or, I could buy two of the following:

Daytona
Brands Hatch
Infineon
Virginia
Zandvoort
Road Atlanta
Suzuka
Mosport

(Bolded tracks appear twice during Season 2)

Very tempted by Zandvoort... which of the top 3 would you guys buy first?

Don't forget, if you buy in bulk you get discount. Might be worth it if you are going to get them eventually anyway

mclaren777

I've always thought that iRacing was the best looking racing sim (even better than pCARS) and I'm still annoyed that ISI didn't hire Hudson Kerr when it had the chance (he used to make rFactor mods, but then iRacing snapped him up and that's why the game looks so good). Anyway, I think you guys should see this...

Greg Hill said:
We've expanded our rendering pipeline to be able to assign shaders to our track surface geometry instead of being limited to objects and cars.

This lets us finally use normal mapping and spec mapping on the tracks, and makes it possible for us to continue to add further shaders such as detail and parallax maps in the future. Our efforts to upgrade the iRacing graphics engine became a focus in late 2010 when we changed our methods to properly calibrate our textures. Track shaders are yet another, but very important step in our long term project of a DX11 renderer upgrade.

This new feature will debut on one new track and one old track: Twin Ring and New Smyrna. Other tracks from our library will be updated as time permits.

For now, here is a screenshot preview of how things are on the current build at New Smyrna and how they will be next week after the update. We also hope to release a video tomorrow or Monday.

iLuNFaRrN4C2k.jpg

i9j0tpmisWbyc.jpg

AcridMeat

Banned
Haha I saw you drive off into the dirt in turn 1. Loving this car so far.
The car is great, I am not great with the car. I didn't realize how little straight there was before T1 and had too much speed and said screw it. haha

Oh and I saw I had a qualifying time already of 55.5, and I could only get down to 56 flat today, fuck.

Orgun

The car is great, I am not great with the car. I didn't realize how little straight there was before T1 and had too much speed and said screw it. haha

Oh and I saw I had a qualifying time already of 55.5, and I could only get down to 56 flat today, fuck.

Sounds about right taking race fuel levels into account?

Orgun

I've always thought that iRacing was the best looking racing sim (even better than pCARS) and I'm still annoyed that ISI didn't hire Hudson Kerr when it had the chance (he used to make rFactor mods, but then iRacing snapped him up and that's why the game looks so good). Anyway, I think you guys should see this...

http://i.minus.com/iLuNFaRrN4C2k.jpg

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i9j0tpmisWbyc.jpg[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's quite a difference!

Orgun

Holy shitballs, don't race with an improperly calibrated wheel! That was the toughest race i've ever had :) -0.34 on my SR but +70 on my iRating heh.

Polyphony

Just came back from karting, man I'm eating racing for breakfast these days. Can't get enough of iRacing. Orgun, do you race in the Skip Barber series too? Never see you on

Orgun

Just came back from karting, man I'm eating racing for breakfast these days. Can't get enough of iRacing. Orgun, do you race in the Skip Barber series too? Never see you on

I used to race the Skippy but then I got the Star Mazda! Don't think I can go back now

Orgun

holy shitballs, what a race!
16th to 3rd in 6 laps
then down to 12th on lap 10 cos I lost concentration and put it in the wall (stupid beer!) :D Finished 6th in the end

AcridMeat

Banned
LvWGs.jpg

Man, I always seem to spin just once in these skip races. Completely clean and in control throughout otherwise.

Particularly happy with this race as my fast lap came at 18, when I wasn't chasing anyone. I've struggled to put in fast laps when by myself, it's always when chasing so this is nice to see.

AcridMeat

Banned
Ha not faulting you there. I followed that race up with this
8yKGq.jpg

I immediately tried to qualify better after seeing I got a 54.5 but only managed a 54.7.

Then when I raced again I had one of my worst and finished 6th with 8 incidents and -.09 or something. Was running 2nd and someone on my friends list was right behind me and watched my downfall.

edit: I just noticed Damien was in this race I posted as well. It's strange how in these series it's basically a group of 50 people who could be racing at that time, so you end up racing the same people over and over.

Top Bottom