• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Cinemas are expensive as fuck. I don't buy anything anymore from there and for good reason. Costs near a tenner to get a ticket for the movie and for just a small popcorn and drink you'd be spending more than the ticket.

Also BvS was good enough. Not great, but I liked it.

Cinemas are expensive as fuck. I don't buy anything anymore from there and for good reason. Costs near a tenner to get a ticket for the movie and for just a small popcorn and drink you'd be spending more than the ticket.

Also BvS was good enough. Not great, but I liked it.

Saw it last night in Mallow. I quite liked it, too! The ticket printing machine was broken so they were just letting people in who booked online without a ticket. Anyone could have just walked up to the machine and said they couldn't print their tickets and gotten in for free!

But yeah, fuck buying things at the cinema. Haven't in years. I get what I want in Tesco beforehand.

Clegg

Hmm.

I'm actually going out tonight and hadn't factored the 1916 stuff into getting into town. This is problematic. LUAS had to be on strike today.

Shit

Taking a trip to Ireland at the end of May. Pretty excited as I've never been outside of North America before. Any cool / must-see things I should know about? Looked up stuff about the best paces to visit but thats about it, maybe there's some hidden goodies. Also any things I should NOT DO while there?

I think we're going

Dublin -> Cork -> Galway -> Dublin then train to -> Belfast -> back to Dublin

kharma45

Train to Belfast is meant to be a nice journey but it's slow and unreliable. The bus is cheaper and faster, and if you use the AirCoach the only stop after Dublin is the airport.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I don't think I've ever been on a bus that also had a bathroom.

638670.jpg

Liamario

Banned
Taking a trip to Ireland at the end of May. Pretty excited as I've never been outside of North America before. Any cool / must-see things I should know about? Looked up stuff about the best paces to visit but thats about it, maybe there's some hidden goodies. Also any things I should NOT DO while there?

I think we're going

Dublin -> Cork -> Galway -> Dublin then train to -> Belfast -> back to Dublin

You have it covered so. You'll see plenty of the countryside. I hope you enjoy.

Saw it last night in Mallow. I quite liked it, too! The ticket printing machine was broken so they were just letting people in who booked online without a ticket. Anyone could have just walked up to the machine and said they couldn't print their tickets and gotten in for free!

But yeah, fuck buying things at the cinema. Haven't in years. I get what I want in Tesco beforehand.
Can safely say I've never booked a film ticket online at all. Maybe it's because the cinema I go to is relatively quiet unless there's a late-night or midnight release on. I just go in and buy the ticket. Sometimes I feel nervous I'm too late if I enter and there's tons waiting in line like when I went to see the Force Awakens but thankfully got a good seat.

I had booked tickets for BvS and Civil War online and when I went in to get the BvS tickets the machine printed the Civil War ones too. Now I've to keep them safe for a full fucking month.

SpecX

Had a lot of fun in Dublin last night even with Good Friday going on. Bought some drinks at the hotel as they had a loophole for guests to be able to drink and ordered some rum from room service before we went out. Fucking 19 euros for maybe half a glass which made it the best tasting rum ever...

Went through St Stephans Green, toured the library and campus at Trinity college, and got to see St. Patricks Cathedral. Ate at a few restaurants but the food at Fire restaurant and lounge was amazing.

Definitely can see myself coming back again, but I'll be mindful of Easter weekend next time.

Come to Mayo gaffers. Learn what Ireland can really be like.

Here's the view from my window in Louisburgh:

596c05c5a102f5d4269cab0cd5bcc365.jpg

Dublin is a good starting point. But come out into the rest of the land if you want to get a real picture of our country and our people.

Let me know if you're in the area and I'll meet you for one or two and we can argue about why Bioshock Infinite is trash.

Had a lot of fun in Dublin last night even with Good Friday going on. Bought some drinks at the hotel as they had a loophole for guests to be able to drink and ordered some rum from room service before we went out. Fucking 19 euros for maybe half a glass which made it the best tasting rum ever...

Went through St Stephans Green, toured the library and campus at Trinity college, and got to see St. Patricks Cathedral. Ate at a few restaurants but the food at Fire restaurant and lounge was amazing.

Definitely can see myself coming back again, but I'll be mindful of Easter weekend next time.

Walked by a pub in temple bar serving last night. I'd say when there is a government its a guarantee that law is gone.

Its an easy win.

Kanhir

Any cool / must-see things I should know about?

Bring an umbrella, it rains a lot. Then again, Ireland often behaves itself for tourists; I've had plenty of friends over and it's refused to rain while they're here, so they think I'm exaggerating about the weather.

Experience a "local" pub - I suppose Cork and Galway will be good for this - and one major pub in Dublin. Two totally different atmospheres, both worth experiencing.

Also any things I should NOT DO while there?

Don't refer to yourself as [insert fraction here]-Irish, and don't go drinking in Temple Bar because they'll fleece you for every euro you have.

I'm actually going to Mayo on Monday for two nights. Never been below Sligo on the west coast.

Hope you enjoy it. Head to Westport, it's a good night out. Lots of good food and venues, plus it's Easter holidays so there's plenty going on in the town. You probably won't get the time if you're only around for a couple of days but Leenane has some of the most amazing scenery you'll ever come across. If you can make the time to drive thru it, you wont regret it.

SpecX

Walked by a pub in temple bar serving last night. I'd say when there is a government its a guarantee that law is gone.

Its an easy win.
Wouldn't surprise me, I will say it was strange to see bars with their shelves completely clear of alcohol or wine up there. The waitress said by midnight everything will literally be back on the shelves for serving/consumption.

Lethal

Neo Member
Wait, that is still a thing? No drink on Good Friday? Havent been back home on a Good Friday since like 07. They should really change that

butzopower

proud of his butz
I'm an American whose been in Dublin the last 6 months and have 6 months left here. I'd love to check out some of the Easter Rising stuff today but the wind is insane and a storms a brewing.

Would a Dublin GAF meetup be weird?

Top Bottom