• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Herne

I like that the Defence Forces turn their heads to look at the GPO when marching past. Very nice salute. Have to agree that it's odd there are no statues of any leaders of the Rising anywhere near, though.

ptolemy

I most say. I really enjoyed the parade. No political speeches. I was expecting Enda to go on some rant for his own means

monreader

Neo Member
Makes me so proud for all the brave men and woman that fought for our independence 100 years ago. I salute you all and thank you!

NateDog

I have successfully avoided binging on chocolate this easter. I am pleased with myself about this.
This is the first year I ate an egg before the day (only because broken ones were on sale in Tesco). I'd never resort to such disgracefulness but I genuinely haven't given much of a fuck about anything lately so I just stuffed my face.

Can't wait to buy loads of eggs on sale tomorrow and then give them away to my housemates because I feel guilty about ruining gym progress.

NateDog

Can't wait to buy loads of eggs on sale tomorrow and then give them away to my housemates because I feel guilty about ruining gym progress.

Yeah I need to hope my local store has them on Tuesday. I didn't really have the money to get much of my family them but they all got some for my GF as well so I kind of have to get them all something now from both of us because I feel bad now.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'm English, but grew up in Ireland (County Clare). Shoutouts to Shannon being a fucking kip, then and always.

The racism directed toward my family was fucking shocking. This was in the 90's, FWIW people are a lot more relaxed about that sort of thing now last time I was over.

Still, all my best mates are from there. None live there like, because there are no jobs, and the politicians are all awful fuckers, even by politician standards.

glow

Banned
You Brits and Irish that hate on Americans that call themselves Irish don't understand American culture at all. We are defined by our heritage, our roots. If we move to a different country we call ourselves Americans. That's how we work...

Carlisle

You Brits and Irish that hate on Americans that call themselves Irish don't understand American culture at all. We are defined by our heritage, our roots. If we move to a different country we call ourselves Americans. That's how we work...

Yep, it's a great irony. Our most red-blooded citizens and politicians will bark all day about the evils of immigration and European influence, and then sing all night about how they themselves are English or Irish or Italian or German--even if it's only 1/16.

Herne

Did anyone watch Centenary? It was pretty awesome. Fantastic artistry. If anyone missed it, here is a lifesaver that will let you download anything from RTE Player.

IbukiLordSA

Irish Gaf help me out please.

I am currently living in South Africa, born in Ireland and last week started sending out my CV for job applications as I am looking to move back to Ireland, specifically Dublin. Surprisingly I have just been offered a job there for 60k euros per year with a 7.5% increase and benefits like health care and such.

My main concern is cost of living to salary. Is this a decent amount for someone moving there? I have a wife and 2 year old son. Wife has a freelance business so she can work from anywhere plus my whole family lives in Ireland.

Any info on this will be very helpful.

You might struggle in Dublin on that wage if you're other half isn't earning as well. It's a pretty expensive city. If you're willing to commute 45min-1hr you'll be fine, though.

IbukiLordSA

Commuting isn't an issue especially if it is only 45-60min, It currently takes me about 60-90 minutes to get to work and longer to get home so not an issue at all.

If this was an option what areas would I want to look at?

Commuting isn't an issue especially if it is only 45-60min, It currently takes me about 60-90 minutes to get to work and longer to get home so not an issue at all.

Malahide is nice, Swords. Knockylon. Rush, Skerries.

Some of them aren't cheap, but like Chalk said, if your willing willing to commute most of them places are on the dart line and what not, or Dublin bus services pretty much everywhere.

NateDog

Anyone want to send me €1.50 so I can pre-order that disgusting FFXV CE? I didn't even think I wanted the game on release but I wanted the Noctis figure, OST and art book for ages and it has all of them but my card is on -0.44c and they charge €1. D=

Oh wait I have money, to the bank!

PowerTaxi

Banned

Some of them aren't cheap, but like Chalk said, if your willing willing to commute most of them places are on the dart line and what not, or Dublin bus services pretty much everywhere.

Yeah, I love the place but I'm going to have to live somewhere else once I move out of parent's house. It is way too expensive here.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Question for my fellow Irishmen:

Where do you buy your games online? It was somewhat of a ritual for me to go into Xtravision on my way home from work on a Friday and pick up a new release. Now that place is gone, and I refuse to go to GameStop and pay 75 euro for a new game. Naturally I could get games anywhere online but they can never confirm a Friday release day delivery, I know it's obviously cheaper as well but I didn't mind paying the premium so I could play over launch weekend.

Is there any place online that will guarantee a launch day release? I'm in Dublin FWIW. Thanks!

Commuting isn't an issue especially if it is only 45-60min, It currently takes me about 60-90 minutes to get to work and longer to get home so not an issue at all. I

I suppose you should start with your budget and requirements. If your budget is 2k per month for rent you will have a hell of a lot more options than if it was say 1.3K. There is also a point where the cost/time of travel makes going out too far not worth it. If you are actually willing to spend 90 mins travelling then you will have plenty of options, as you could drive to a Luas/Dart stop and park there. For example my Brother lives in a very isolated part of South Wicklow, and he drives to the nearest train station everyday and continues from there.

Dazzler

All those areas are quite far out, though.

I'm from Dublin 12 and it's a fantastic area to live, close to city centre

Caode

Question for my fellow Irishmen:

Where do you buy your games online? It was somewhat of a ritual for me to go into Xtravision on my way home from work on a Friday and pick up a new release. Now that place is gone, and I refuse to go to GameStop and pay 75 euro for a new game. Naturally I could get games anywhere online but they can never confirm a Friday release day delivery, I know it's obviously cheaper as well but I didn't mind paying the premium so I could play over launch weekend.

Is there any place online that will guarantee a launch day release? I'm in Dublin FWIW. Thanks!

None that I know of, I live in Donegal but I have the fortune of being about a half hour outside Derry. I order stuff from Amazon/The Game Collection and get it sent to a friends house in Derry. It's cheaper than buying from GameStop/Xtravision/GAME and every so often you get a game a few days earlier.

Yeah, I love the place but I'm going to have to live somewhere else once I move out of parent's house. It is way too expensive here.

You live in Malahide? I live in Malahide!

The Game Collection is amazing for it, combine it with parcel motel and I usually get my stuff early and for a decent price. E.g, dark souls 3 including parcel motel is only cost me around 49 euro.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Game Collection is amazing for it, combine it with parcel motel and I usually get my stuff early and for a decent price. E.g, dark souls 3 including parcel motel is only cost me around 49 euro.

I have never really needed Parcel Motel before, so do I give Amazon etc a UK address when checking out? Roughly how does it work? There happens to be one 10 mins away from me.

I have never really needed Parcel Motel before, so do I give Amazon etc a UK address when checking out? Roughly how does it work? There happens to be one 10 mins away from me.

You sign up (to parcel motel) and put your card details. On amazon, when you put in new address, put in the post code (it gives you a full address, but amazon has parcel motel in its thing if you put the post code in) parcel motel gives you, and then have your item shipped to that address. When they receive the item, they charge you like 4 euro, and ship it to down a parcel motel locker of your choosing.

Markitron

You sign up (to parcel motel) and put your card details. On amazon, when you put in new address, put in the post code (it gives you a full address, but amazon has parcel motel in its thing if you put the post code in) parcel motel gives you, and then have your item shipped to that address. When they receive the item, they charge you like 4 euro, and ship it to down a parcel motel locker of your choosing.

Thanks, I'm signed up now. Another question if you don't mind: I have Dark Souls 3 ordered from base.com for 48 euro delivered, would there be any benefit of changing the shipping address to the UK Parcel Motel address? I have never ordered from them before so I have no frame of reference of when they will deliver.

NateDog

You live in Malahide? I live in Malahide!

Huh I didn't think even to here you'd get it early. Might give this a go myself especially with the current conversion rate.

Proud gym-goer here. :cool:

I wonder if we also top the list of tracksuit-wearers.. It's a fucking epidemic here in Cork. I never knew we had so many athletes around the city!

Top Bottom