• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I ordered 2 Blu-Rays from Amazon.ca for around €26. Fucking UPS want €28 for import duty. I shouldn't have to pay anything as its under €28.

I have no clue where they got that figure from. I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what's the story. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I've worked in logistics so I'm nearly 100% sure you were overcharged. Most likely customs didn't have the value of the goods at hand so they went by the full value of each blu-ray. A simple phone call to the courier and a copy of your amazon receipt should get that amount decreased substantially.

NateDog

I always thought it had to be under €22 to avoid import duty? Even still, why wold the import duty cost more than the BDs? Thought it was around 40% of the value at most.

Normally they add on their own "processing fee" of sorts. I ordered I think a couple of Blu-rays from Japan before that came to a value of €25 or so and with customs and the additional An Post fee the amount was about €15 or something so I'm paying more than half the item value just to buy it (and that's not including postage itself too).

Clegg

As a nation we have a wonderful and diverse selection of craft beers. I'm quite pleased at this tbh.

Anything by Kinnegar is my favourite. Their Devils Backbone is delish.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I was wondering if anyone could help me. I ordered 2 Blu-Rays from Amazon.ca for around €26. Fucking UPS want €28 for import duty. I shouldn't have to pay anything as its under €28.

I have no clue where they got that figure from. I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what's the story. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

What is the rules on paying for imports? I had a friend send me a hoddie and shirt from SF to Dublin, and I'm pretty sure he paid like $30 to send it. The it was stuck in customs for 3 weeks and I had to pay €27.50 exact change to pick it up. Irish people I asked just shrugged and said the Celtic tiger needs feeding.

Fuck me, what's with this weather? It's actually worse now than it was at any point during the winter. Snowing all night, pissing rain all morning and freezing cold to boot. Fuck sake Spring, what are you doing?

Desmond

Fuck me, what's with this weather? It's actually worse now than it was at any point during the winter. Snowing all night, pissing rain all morning and freezing cold to boot. Fuck sake Spring, what are you doing?

xPz4ws3.png

Had a bit of sleet here this morning, pissing now.

RangerX

Banned

Thank christ. I am dreading the summer coming, I don't like the heat at all. I love chill, wind and grey skies. Not because I'm miserable . I just find it aesthetically pleasing and I love the cold. Its quite nice here in bray now.

Looks like the LUAS fiasco is getting somewhere with the release of that letter tonight.

I hope a few P45's will be along with it shortly. They took a huge gamble turning down the payrise they were offered in the first place and it's blown up in their face big time. Greedy fucking cunts.

danthefan

Looks like the LUAS fiasco is getting somewhere with the release of that letter tonight.

I hope a few P45's will be along with it shortly. They took a huge gamble turning down the payrise they were offered in the first place and it's blown up in their face big time. Greedy fucking cunts.

The workers seem to have zero popular support. It wouldn't be nice to see anyone get sacked but if they do, well they've made their own bed.

Heartfyre

The workers seem to have zero popular support. It wouldn't be nice to see anyone get sacked but if they do, well they've made their own bed.

I sympathise with those who would have accepted that earlier pay rise, but seemingly, that was very few. On the other hand, I don't feel they deserved that pay rise in the first place, as they already receive far more than the challenges of the job requires. A midwife friend of mine, who is a skilled medical professional, already earns notably less than the drivers whose job I'm surprised isn't remotely and automatically controlled already.

danthefan

I sympathise with those who would have accepted that earlier pay rise, but seemingly, that was very few. On the other hand, I don't feel they deserved that pay rise in the first place, as they already receive far more than the challenges of the job requires. A midwife friend of mine, who is a skilled medical professional, already earns notably less than the drivers whose job I'm surprised isn't remotely and automatically controlled already.

They were initially looking for up to 60k which is an absolute joke. My gf is a junior doctor and again they would have been paid more than her for pulling a lever.

NateDog

I sympathise with those who would have accepted that earlier pay rise, but seemingly, that was very few. On the other hand, I don't feel they deserved that pay rise in the first place, as they already receive far more than the challenges of the job requires.

This is how I feel about it. I don't want to see people losing jobs, but the demands these guys have are unbelievable and this situation is all down to them and always has been.

Luas drivers can fuck off, greedy bastards. They also need to sort out anti social behaviour on certain lines, its ridiculous.

You mean the red line? Around the Smithfield area is a disgrace, so many shady characters around and the nice junkies who'll buy your ticket for you if give them money towards their fix.

Dazzler

You mean the red line? Around the Smithfield area is a disgrace, so many shady characters around and the nice junkies who'll buy your ticket for you if give them money towards their fix.

my ma lives just off the red line and it's always been a shitshow

there's been horses inside the luas cars more than once

Vagabundo

We got egged on the Red line on the way back from the Point last year. Fucking kids threw an egg right into the packed luas carriage. Someone got off and knocked one of the youngfella's out.

I was finding sympathy hard.

The Luas workers should get sacked. Their pay claims are insane. There seems to be a couple of hardline shop stewards pushing the whole thing.

There was a SIPTU representative on The Last Word on TodayFM yesterday defending their actions and I got so angry listening to her. These people are off in outer space thinking they deserve what they're demanding.

Lethal

Neo Member
Living abroad I miss batter sausages so much

I'm home in July and it'll be the first thing I get when I get off the plane

Ah shite. Havent been home in ages. Now i really want a battered sausage and an old fashioned kebab.

Hong Kong doesnt have any chippers like home

Vagabundo

Ah shite. Havent been home in ages. Now i really want a battered sausage and an old fashioned kebab.

Hong Kong doesnt have any chippers like home

I just had a glorious seven incher there last night.

Macaris at the top of Inchicore, near the Black Horse, is an ace chipper.

Lethal

Neo Member
Nothing beats your childhood chipper. I remember scamming free potato scallops from the one near my house as a kid. They tasted like magic.

Rip nameless Greenpark chipper

Vagabundo

There's a chipper in Walkenstown or Crumlin that my mate uses and it has a sign up saying "no few chip". The local kids order a battered sausage or whatever and then say "few chip". It must have annoyed the owner enough to put up the sign.

I got a "few chip" with my battered sausage. I think its a sign of a good chipper.

Macari's Malahide is rank though.

There are two Macari's in Inchicore, one if run by some eastern Europeans and is meh, the real Macari's up the top is great and run by Franco and family.

Macari's as a brand doesn't seem to be a thing.

Lethal

Neo Member
Thats weird. Anybody can open a place called Macaris and inherit some kind of business recognition for free?

I wanna do that... :(

Dazzler

Hallmark of a good chipper is defo throwing in a few chips with a batter sausage/burger

I'd also include the option to buy a small portion of the crispy bits from the fryer

NateDog

There's a chipper in Walkenstown or Crumlin that my mate uses and it has a sign up saying "no few chip". The local kids order a battered sausage or whatever and then say "few chip". It must have annoyed the owner enough to put up the sign.

I got a "few chip" with my battered sausage. I think its a sign of a good chipper.
John's in Walkinstown are great, whenever I just get a burger or fish for someone (I'm a veggie) they always throw in a good handful of chips in each bag and are so nice, pretty sure they've always been family-run too. They're doing baguettes in there now and my GF got one yesterday and said it was amazing, I just thought they get them from a specific bakery but they actually make the rolls there from scratch too.

I haven't come across any great Macari's to be honest where I am.

NateDog

Apologies for the double-post but I'm a little desperate. Anyone know where I can get a SATA-to-USB cable retail in Dublin? The missus' laptop has gone haywire and I don't think I can fix it without a factory reset, at least not without a lot of extra hassle and she needs it fixed soon.

Also something completely unrelated, any Star Wars fans in Dublin - Golden Discs will have Star Wars characters at their Stephen's Green and Swords stores tomorrow. Stephen's Green will have Boba Fett, Kylo Ren and a Biker Scout, and in Swords there will be a Biker Scout, a Shadow Scout and a Tusken Raider. I have no idea realistically if they will have proper costumes or not but the child in me (despite me only getting into Star Wars recently) wants to go and see a proper Boba Fett "armour" / costume in person but my GF is sick so I don't know if I'll go alone.

Is it just me or is it fuckin' freezin'? Post holiday blues refuse to leave. Coming from 38 degrees everyday back to 8 degrees (if we're lucky) is a bastard pill to swallow.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Also something completely unrelated, any Star Wars fans in Dublin - Golden Discs will have Star Wars characters at their Stephen's Green and Swords stores tomorrow. Stephen's Green will have Boba Fett, Kylo Ren and a Biker Scout, and in Swords there will be a Biker Scout, a Shadow Scout and a Tusken Raider. I have no idea realistically if they will have proper costumes or not but the child in me (despite me only getting into Star Wars recently) wants to go and see a proper Boba Fett "armour" / costume in person but my GF is sick so I don't know if I'll go alone.
Meh. Boba Fett sucks anyway.

Can't remember the last time I've seen a Golden Discs, though.

Is it just me or is it fuckin' freezin'? Post holiday blues refuse to leave. Coming from 38 degrees everyday back to 8 degrees (if we're lucky) is a bastard pill to swallow.
I like the cooler weather. Can't stand anything hot and humid, particularly when I have to cut the grass.

Meh. Boba Fett sucks anyway.

Can't remember the last time I've seen a Golden Discs, though.

I like the cooler weather. Can't stand anything hot and humid, particularly when I have to cut the grass.

Anything above 15 is normally dead on for me but at this time of year I feel like it should be a lot warmer than it has been recently.

danthefan

Apologies for the double-post but I'm a little desperate. Anyone know where I can get a SATA-to-USB cable retail in Dublin? The missus' laptop has gone haywire and I don't think I can fix it without a factory reset, at least not without a lot of extra hassle and she needs it fixed soon.

Maplin? Can't remember the name of the street but it's just off Parnell St, the turn opposite the cinema. Give them a ring. Dublin is pretty awful for finding this kind of stuff though. Peats probably would have had one back in the day.

And yes it is fucking freezing for the time of year. If it would just settle at about 10 degrees I'd be delighted but it's way under that most days at the moment.

NateDog

Maplin? Can't remember the name of the street but it's just off Parnell St, the turn opposite the cinema. Give them a ring. Dublin is pretty awful for finding this kind of stuff though. Peats probably would have had one back in the day.

Thanks! Maplin just popped into my head actually afterwards (bloody stupid of me not to think of it in the first place since I was in there on Friday) but it would have gone out of my mind again if not for your post. Their website only has one listed though and it's over €40 so I guess I might be going with Amazon and hoping for a Friday delivery (even though that's still quite late).

And yeah, Peats being gone really sucks, they were very friendly too. Don't get me wrong Maplin are decent but some of their prices for stuff (such as this) are dreadful, or (like this) they only have in one type of a certain item and it's one with a few extras on it and an expensive one.

Man I didn't realise Dabs.ie had been rebranded. They have some there but 3-5 days for delivery eh take my chances with Amazon at this rate.

Looks like SIPTU have finally woken up and smelled reality. I feel sorry for the workers who never wanted any of this and will probably come out worse off thanks to SIPTU's involvement.

Hey lads any tips for things to do in and around Westport? Going to be there for a conference for a couple days. Closest I've been to there is probably Cong so I don't really know anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom