• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Lucreto

If you are planning on getting Laser Eye Surgery I would try and avoid Optical Express.

I got my eyes done back in 2010 but since then they have started to revert. It cost me €4K back then and I couldn't see my feet and it is going to cost me more now to get it fixed. I was getting a lifetime guarantee but lifetime seems to be 2 years. I am pissed off having to pay for this again.

The moral of the story is always read the fine print and follow it to the letter.

danthefan

If you are planning on getting Laser Eye Surgery I would try and avoid Optical Express.

I got my eyes done back in 2010 but since then they have started to revert. It cost me €4K back then and I couldn't see my feet and it is going to cost me more now to get it fixed. I was getting a lifetime guarantee but lifetime seems to be 2 years. I am pissed off having to pay for this again.

The moral of the story is always read the fine print and follow it to the letter.

Well that's awful. Friend of mine has just got it done and he went to the top guy in the Mater, decided he wasn't messing about.

Have you any recourse against Optical Express?

Lucreto

Well that's awful. Friend of mine has just got it done and he went to the top guy in the Mater, decided he wasn't messing about.

Have you any recourse against Optical Express?

Not that I am aware of. One of the fine print lines say I need to get my eyes tested with them every two years at €80 a pop with their special eye test machine. They don't tell you this verbally and don't issue any reminders when you are due.

I was thinking about going to the Mater but it would have cost me €5500 back in 2010. It would cost me more I bet if I tried again.

NateDog

Anyone able to recommend a good gym on Dublin southside (anywhere on the road from maybe Tallaght to the city centre or near that route)? Was going to join the Carlisle but read some nasty stories about it. My old gym is OK but it's too basic.

Dazzler

Anyone able to recommend a good gym on Dublin southside (anywhere on the road from maybe Tallaght to the city centre or near that route)? Was going to join the Carlisle but read some nasty stories about it. My old gym is OK but it's too basic.

What kind of stories?

I was a member there for years and loved it. The value is incredible

I've been in Canada for a few years now and the gyms over here have nothing on the Carlisle

jiggles

Banned
Millenium Falcon's getting built in Malin Head for this weekend's filming.

000c3778-630r2s65.jpg

000c377f-5724kssd.jpg

000c3780-572hms5w.jpg

It's about a 50 minute drive from me, and they're not locking the area down until Friday morning. Debating whether to take a scoot up tomorrow evening or not.

NateDog

What kind of stories?

I was a member there for years and loved it. The value is incredible

I've been in Canada for a few years now and the gyms over here have nothing on the Carlisle
Read quite a bit about how filthy some members leave the dressing rooms, bathrooms and some equipment.

Is anyone with Virgin Media having trouble with youtube can't watch anything on it today, seems Virgin is just getting worse and worse, think it's time to switch to Sky.

Dazzler

Read quite a bit about how filthy some members leave the dressing rooms, bathrooms and some equipment.

I once saw an old guy drying out his ball sack with the supplied hairdryers in those change rooms

Also more than one steroid deal being transacted. So maybe you're correct

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Is anyone with Virgin Media having trouble with youtube can't watch anything on it today, seems Virgin is just getting worse and worse, think it's time to switch to Sky.
Eir's TV service has been an absolute nightmare for us. Seriously, it's just one big false economy.

I once saw an old guy drying out his ball sack with the supplied hairdryers in those change rooms
Well then...

Yeah same here, definitely gone downhill recently. No YouTube on and off for 3 days. Their newish outsourced call centre is a huge pain in the arse to explain anything to as well..

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Trying to figure out what eir was till I googled it, yep Eircom was always shite for internet and they had the balls to charge people for spam filters as well.
I seriously want to go back to Sky (especially considering that I didn't want Eir in the first place). Which is perfect timing now that they've introduced Sky Q, so hopefully it'll be easier to sweet talk my father into getting it, given his own frustrations with our current service.

Lucreto

I am recovering from laser eye surgery and I can't watch TV or read but I have been listening to YouTube videos all day. I have no problems the last few days but today the Internet was in and out. I resetted the modem and it was fine.

Herne

Yeah, they do. They were offered quite a good deal, weren't they? Public opinion is really turning against them now.

NateDog

Oh and on the subject of Virgin Media, I've had one of their sim cards for about 4-5 months. Coverage just drops with no explanation so regularly.

Vagabundo

All the kids/teens have started using the Luas tracks along the canal for partying and as a path. That didn't take long.

A vet was telling my wife that when she started she was on the same starting as the Luas drivers start at. If they get their increase they will be on more than she is.

I'm on Virgin myself I was thinking of going with Eir, but I dunno. I've never had any problems with UPC/Virgin.

NateDog

you have my sympathies
Try working retail there. Sundays were always a treat, the amount of scum we had to deal with was phenomenal. Even better when your head office says "no leave all the confectionery outside the counter so you can get hassled even more, don't take it inside".

I was over in Ireland recently. By British standards I'm a foul mouthed son of a bitch. By Irish standards? Fecking normal, ya soft coont.

Edit - Funnily enough, I recall two Tescos worker wandering by me f'ing and blinding. In the UK they'd be totally fired if anyone caught them doing that.

I was over in Ireland recently. By British standards I'm a foul mouthed son of a bitch. By Irish standards? Fecking normal, ya soft coont.

Edit - Funnily enough, I recall two Tescos worker wandering by me f'ing and blinding. In the UK they'd be totally fired if anyone caught them doing that.

Nobody takes shit too seriously in Ireland, I quite enjoy it (As a fellow British person who happens to live here)

I went to school here starting in 5th year, like age 16, and I was shocked at first to hear my teachers effing and blinding as well, and loads of banta, and how casual everything was.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Nobody takes shit too seriously in Ireland, I quite enjoy it (As a fellow British person who happens to live here)

I went to school here starting in 5th year, like age 16, and I was shocked at first to hear my teachers effing and blinding as well, and loads of banta, and how casual everything was.
Back when I was in third class, our classmates and teacher went into an interesting discussion of a certain Paul Verhoeven film. He was such a chill teacher. He didn't even give us spelling tests during our time with him.

The movie was Hollow Man, okay?

PowerTaxi

Banned
Looks like I'll be adding to the emigration statistic soon. My Canadian visa application got approved yesterday.

Now I actually have start planning what to do. >_>

Dazzler

Looks like I'll be adding to the emigration statistic soon. My Canadian visa application got approved yesterday.

Now I actually have start planning what to do. >_>

Any questions feel free to hit me up. I'm from Dublin but have been living in Vancouver since 2010

Dazzler

I guess the main thing is whats the job market like right now?

IT jobs, mostly.

It's actually quite good in that industry (certainly in Vancouver) Lots of startups based here

Obviously the market in Toronto is larger, but I can't speak with any knowledge about it

I will say, cost of living is quite high here, and certain things that are unavoidable are annoyingly expensive like your mobile phone bill, cheese, chicken and booze

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Do HMV still not have The Hateful Eight in yet? Wasn't there when I went to the one in The Cresent almost 2 weeks ago, and judging from their website, still not there.

NateDog

HMV have been hilarious since XV entered liquidation, they looked better with XV's shittiness alongside them and them taking a lot of the crap that they would fall short at (like their dreadful games dealer). Now their lack of fucks is appearing. I went in to order The Revenant steelbook (I never pre-order movies or buy steelbooks but I was desperate to see this for ages and never got the chance to so I'm damn well seeing it on home release) and the guy told me "orders for this specific item aren't working right now" and when I asked how considering it's out in 2 weeks he didn't know where to look. Went in to a capable person yesterday who did it for me.

In a way we're actually relatively lucky though. We have Tower Records too as well as Golden Discs (IMO the best, certainly the most helpful and friendly to deal with anyway), when I went to Edinburgh though all I saw was HMV and couldn't think of or find any other record / movie store chain in the UK. Maybe there are others I'm forgetting but we do at least have 2 decent Irish stores (mind you HMV UK aren't as pitiful as the Irish version).

HMV have been hilarious since XV entered liquidation, they looked better with XV's shittiness alongside them and them taking a lot of the crap that they would fall short at (like their dreadful games dealer). Now their lack of fucks is appearing. I went in to order The Revenant steelbook (I never pre-order movies or buy steelbooks but I was desperate to see this for ages and never got the chance to so I'm damn well seeing it on home release) and the guy told me "orders for this specific item aren't working right now" and when I asked how considering it's out in 2 weeks he didn't know where to look. Went in to a capable person yesterday who did it for me.

In a way we're actually relatively lucky though. We have Tower Records too as well as Golden Discs (IMO the best, certainly the most helpful and friendly to deal with anyway), when I went to Edinburgh though all I saw was HMV and couldn't think of or find any other record / movie store chain in the UK. Maybe there are others I'm forgetting but we do at least have 2 decent Irish stores (mind you HMV UK aren't as pitiful as the Irish version).

I actually need to pre order this, thanks for the reminder :p

Nerdkiller

Membeur

We haven't had a Golden Discs here in years. Closest store to me is all the way up in Athlone. And now that there's no more Xtra Vision, my only hope is that our local Tesco carries BD's.

Also, weren't Tower Records looking to expand a couple of years back? I don't think I've heard anymore of that since.

We haven't had a Golden Discs here in years. Closest store to me is all the way up in Athlone. And now that there's no more Xtra Vision, my only hope is that our local Tesco carries BD's.

Also, weren't Tower Records looking to expand a couple of years back? I don't think I've heard anymore of that since.

Tower Records have the hateful 8 in stock, and spotlight. They have a good range of blu rays in fact.

Hah what is that exactly?

The one thing I dislike about Tower Records is their site, search function on it is dreadful.

Yeah I hate using their site. Sometimes when I'm on Chrome I can't even access it. I'd almost volunteer to design a website for them it's that bad.

Top Bottom