• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

Stinky

Anyone able to recommend a good gym on Dublin southside (anywhere on the road from maybe Tallaght to the city centre or near that route)? Was going to join the Carlisle but read some nasty stories about it. My old gym is OK but it's too basic.

The Arena next to The Square is excellent gym.d developed my love of working out there

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I know they still have a store in Tokyo when I was there last summer
Yeah, looks absolutely massive.

Tower-Record-Shibuya.jpg

I'd kill for a store like that over here.

NateDog

Anyone know the exact release date of The Revenant here? It took a long while post-theatre release for it to appear and I was sure on HMV.ie it said May first, then June but it's listed for the bank holiday. I know the UK have releases on Mondays every now and again but it seems very weird for here, especially if it's a bank holiday.

Edit: Never mind I got an answer from Golden Discs, they said they'll have it from June 3rd (Friday). HMV however could be a different deal knowing them.

Lucreto

Anyone know the exact release date of The Revenant here? It took a long while post-theatre release for it to appear and I was sure on HMV.ie it said May first, then June but it's listed for the bank holiday. I know the UK have releases on Mondays every now and again but it seems very weird for here, especially if it's a bank holiday.

This Friday I believe. The UK seem to release on a Monday but usually ships the previous week.

Living in Malahide is the worst in the summer. There's a million people (may or not be be exaggerating) who come up for the beach and shit, very annoying.

old man grumbling

Hot one today.

Possibly moving to Dublin soon, anyone have any impressions of Dublin 8? Some nice places around there but I've heard Kilmainham is dodgy?

Also, how reliable is Dublin Bus?

dublin 8 is fine. island bridge is nice and it's close enough to town the bus is grand. all areas of dublin have their good and bad parts honestly.

Lovely stuff guys, cheers. We're also looking at Dundrum/Sandyford. I assume the luas is generally very reliable too? Doesn't experience delays around peak times? Leap cards are essential?

Clegg

Hot one today.

Possibly moving to Dublin soon, anyone have any impressions of Dublin 8? Some nice places around there but I've heard Kilmainham is dodgy?

With regard to D8 parts of Inchicore and Dolphins Barn can be dodgy, but I suppose that's the same for most areas. Places on the South Circular and Portobello can be lovely especially near the canal. Would be a bit of a trek to the Luas though. Dublin Bus works well enough.

IslandBridge near the Phoenix Park has undergone massive redevelopment and looks incredible, but I don't know anyone who lives there so that's only my impression from looking at the place from an outsiders perspective.

The Luas actually works great. It's one of the few actual unqualified successes of infrastructural planning in decades. They come on time and are frequent in peak hours. Dials back to 1 every 8-10 minutes in non peak times but that's grand. They get very crowded at peak hours and there's the odd junkie/scumbag on the red line, but that's not too bad.

Vagabundo

Hot one today.

I'm from D8 originally and work there (James's Street) D8 is a big place so there are more run down places and some really good ones. I'd walk a lot and have never any trouble. Good pubs, one of the best chippers in Dublin (Macari's near the Black Horse) a new place in Kilmainham Cross called Union 8 seems pricy but I've heard good things about it.

I get the 40/13 regularly . They are pretty good. Depending on where you are you could be close to the N4, that route is really good, 79's and others a little faster into the city in rush hour. But on the 40/13 route It will get from Inchicore to Dame Street in about 30 minutes at rush hour, sometimes 20. There is a nice community feel in Inchicore village, very settled.

I'm from D8 originally and work there (James's Street) D8 is a big place so there are more run down places and some really good ones. I'd walk a lot and have never any trouble. Good pubs, one of the best chippers in Dublin (Macari's near the Black Horse) a new place in Kilmainham Cross called Union 8 seems pricy but I've heard good things about it.

I get the 40/13 regularly . They are pretty good. Depending on where you are you could be close to the N4, that route is really good, 79's and others a little faster into the city in rush hour. But on the 40/13 route It will get from Inchicore to Dame Street in about 30 minutes at rush hour, sometimes 20. There is a nice community feel in Inchicore village, very settled.

Cheers for the info! I've actually heard of Macari's! Can't wait to try it. Inchicore is probably a little too far out for me. I'll be heading for Ballsbridge so I want to keep the commute to about 40 mins and under. Portobello is looking good, and theres a nice place on Cork street. Theres a straight forward 2 bus route from Islandbridge to Ballsbridge (the 26 and the 4) too so will consider there.

God bless google maps.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So, are we still gonna do the meet up? I'm going if Paul Jeremiah is going (if only because I have a ride to and from Dublin).

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Its this day next week isn't it? Its my birthday too so It will be cool to meet up with Gaffers. I've never met any of Irish GAF so we'll have to sort out details. How many people will there be?
Like I said, I'm only if Paul is going so I won't have to be rushing for a bus up and back, so it's a maybe for me.

Vagabundo

I might be able to swing by for a pint. Post the details here. I need to get a visa approval from the missus though, etc...

NateDog

I won't be able to as I won't have seen my GF for a bit by then and she's coming up for the weekend. I don't drink anyway so it's not like I'll be much fun.

Speaking of moving into Dublin, I'm already here but am looking to move into my own place with the girlfriend for the first time and am finding it difficult to find a place, I'm amazed so many people expect you to be ready to walk in on viewings practically. I thought you'd have it booked for at least a month or so to get prepared but nope, viewers a place on Saturday and they wanted people in by Tuesday. I need to get out of here by the 25th and it's hard finding a place. So many people are unresponsive to their own listings too. Not even sure how many references we need. Honestly the stress is killing me a bit, I thought just planning for it and budgeting when I get there would be tough enough, but just finding one place and having a chance at it is proving half the battle.

Ya I know what you mean, viewings are often only on one night a week at specific times. Nightmare trying to view multiple places when im coming from Clare.

I'm in Dublin Thursday and Friday this week so hopefully see 4 or 5 places.

NateDog

Ya I know what you mean, viewings are often only on one night a week at specific times. Nightmare trying to view multiple places when im coming from Clare.

I'm in Dublin Thursday and Friday this week so hopefully see 4 or 5 places.

Yikes I'd say it is, there was a couple coming up from the country viewing the place I spoke about too on Saturday. Although I think my posting on mobile made my post a little less coherent, I meant to say that I'm amazed that it seems most landlords / agents want people to move in almost immediately after viewing. I figured you'd agree it and sort out moving stuff in and a date and whatnot from there but they seem to expect you to have everything sorted the moment you enquire. It's mostly awkward for us as we wouldn't mind trying somewhere further out for a better place (such as Swords even) but it won't work. I'm working in the city centre and the girlfriend is in college in Tallaght so we need to keep within a certain line to make it easier for both of us.

Yikes I'd say it is, there was a couple coming up from the country viewing the place I spoke about too on Saturday. Although I think my posting on mobile made my post a little less coherent, I meant to say that I'm amazed that it seems most landlords / agents want people to move in almost immediately after viewing. I figured you'd agree it and sort out moving stuff in and a date and whatnot from there but they seem to expect you to have everything sorted the moment you enquire. It's mostly awkward for us as we wouldn't mind trying somewhere further out for a better place (such as Swords even) but it won't work. I'm working in the city centre and the girlfriend is in college in Tallaght so we need to keep within a certain line to make it easier for both of us.

I emailed a guy about a place last night and he got back to me this morming. Wants me to send him all my references and stuff before we can even view, said move in for the place is Friday. I just wanted a viewing bro!!

I know what you mean about keeping on a certain line! My gf is working on Abbey Street and I'll be Ballsbridge. Trying to find somewhere with manageable commutes for the 2 of us is proving tough. Not a lot of places going in the most appropriate areas!

I am not built for this heat.

RangerX

Banned
So, whereabouts in Dublin are we meeting up? Would the Spire be a good place to start for the folks from out of the city?

Yeah the spire or a well known pub. We really should try and sort out details. And yes it is fucking roasting. I'm not good in this heat at all.

Clegg

If ye're looking for somewhere to go then I'd recommended Market Bar on Fade Street. Nice wide areas in there so things don't get badly cramped even when the place is full. They have good food and a selection of brand and craft beers if you're interested. They also don't play music so you can hear yourself speak.

NateDog

I emailed a guy about a place last night and he got back to me this morming. Wants me to send him all my references and stuff before we can even view, said move in for the place is Friday. I just wanted a viewing bro!!

I know what you mean about keeping on a certain line! My gf is working on Abbey Street and I'll be Ballsbridge. Trying to find somewhere with manageable commutes for the 2 of us is proving tough. Not a lot of places going in the most appropriate areas!

I am not built for this heat.

Man it's ridiculous. Are you supposed to have references from your current work by the way? I've only been at my current place for like 6 weeks so I'd feel weird asking for a character reference (especially since my manager has barely spoken to me). Yeah that's an awkward mix especially because Ballsbridge can be so expensive and I wouldn't want to stay in the city centre. I feel like I'm being picky but at the same time I know I'm looking for places even in the likes of Santry and willing to take them if they look like what we want but I don't know what we'll end up with at this rate. I dread having to wait until a week before to get a place sorted.

Man it's ridiculous. Are you supposed to have references from your current work by the way? I've only been at my current place for like 6 weeks so I'd feel weird asking for a character reference (especially since my manager has barely spoken to me). Yeah that's an awkward mix especially because Ballsbridge can be so expensive and I wouldn't want to stay in the city centre. I feel like I'm being picky but at the same time I know I'm looking for places even in the likes of Santry and willing to take them if they look like what we want but I don't know what we'll end up with at this rate. I dread having to wait until a week before to get a place sorted.

You should probably try and have every reference you can get.

I don't know about a character reference from work but most places want proof of earnings at least and character references from old landlords!

I dont start work for another 2 weeks but the gf starts next Tuesday so we're cutting it close at the mo. Viewing 2 places today and 2 tomorrow so hopefully somewhere is nice!

NateDog

I don't know about a character reference from work but most places want proof of earnings at least and character references from old landlords!

I dont start work for another 2 weeks but the gf starts next Tuesday so we're cutting it close at the mo. Viewing 2 places today and 2 tomorrow so hopefully somewhere is nice!
Best of luck anyway, keep us posted on what you find.

HMV Ireland fucked up again, surprise eh? I went in to pick up my fully-paid Revenant steelbook order and was told "we didn't get it in" and that was it. Nothing more said about it. I asked HMV via FB and they just said that they weren't able to buy this steelbook this time but why the utter fuck is it still listed on their website? It has been greyed out (says "awaiting stock" which stops you from ordering) and it has said that for at least 2 weeks. No text, no call, nothing. Still let people hand their money to you in store, still advertise it as an exclusive. That awaiting stock message had been there for too long for them not to have had the time to tell people about it. I'm done with the place.

NateDog

I miss Dublin :( I've been in the UK the past 3 days, its just not the same.
Miss it? I love nothing more than being away from Dublin and I don't even like holidays. :p

This is a very odd question and I'm sure e I know the answer but does anyone know if any chippers anywhere do battered vegetarian sausages? I know the batter is just garbage for you but I still love it but I doubt anywhere does such a thing.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
WHAT'S THIS ABOUT DONALD TRUMP COMING OVER HERE!?

1167375.gif

Also, I might not make it to Dublin afterall. The guy whom I messaged if he'd be going hasn't responded back, which means I might not have a ride up there.

Miss it? I love nothing more than being away from Dublin and I don't even like holidays. :p

This is a very odd question and I'm sure e I know the answer but does anyone know if any chippers anywhere do battered vegetarian sausages? I know the batter is just garbage for you but I still love it but I doubt anywhere does such a thing.

I have literally never even considered the possibility of a battery vegetarian sausage, you monster.

NateDog

I have literally never even considered the possibility of a battery vegetarian sausage, you monster.
It just came into my mind recently, it's the one meat product in a chipper that tempts me but it's not even to do with the meat in it. I might just have to try and make it myself I guess.

You ever cheat when drunk? I've heard that's a thing with veggies.

Oh Macari's in Inchicore - yeah yeah I keep on about them - do a really good Veggie burger.
I might have to try pop in there some time. I normally can't stand veggie burgers in most places since they're always the same. Actually Supermac's isn't too bad I guess but it's so greasy.

Top Bottom