• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Irish Thread

tkscz

Real question, if I wanted to take a trip to Ireland, where would be a good place to stay? I've actually always wanted to take a vacation there,
and the "news" about the size of your women is starting to persuade me to actually do it.

Herne

Clearly my jokes do much better on Reddit, people of better humour!

Haha sorry, I just knew I'd seen that exact sentence before. What I should've done was give the exact same reply that guy did about there maybe being a connection to the Famine, really screw with your head. Next time, Gadg- er, Kharma45, next time!

That's what I'm asking, where is a good place to visit? Like, I see pictures of the country side, which looks incredible, so that's something I'd like to see. What are some other sites, tourist traps and the like?
If you're coming from the U.S., Ireland's about the size of Ohio, so just go and see everything.

NateDog

Guys if a job has an advertised salary of say €20,000 is that net pay or gross? I had an interview for a job which said that it was a different amount but when I calculated it out after tax if I'm working 40 hours a week it would mean I'm getting paid less than minimum wage.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Guys if a job has an advertised salary of say €20,000 is that net pay or gross? I had an interview for a job which said that it was a different amount but when I calculated it out after tax if I'm working 40 hours a week it would mean I'm getting paid less than minimum wage.

It will be net, as they have no way of knowing an applicants tax status.

That's a fucking shocking low amount.

m3k

hi irish people... im about a quarter irish from nz, great grandparents moved there for opportunities i think

so i like to keep up on whats happening with ireland!

SoundLad

News that Ireland may become the fattest EU nation isn't surprising. Hardly anyone looks after themselves up here in Donegal anyway.

It's all cakes, tea with shitloads of sugar, battered fish/sausage/anything and turkish take-aways as far as the eye can see.

Weather doesn't know what it wants to do today lads. Lovely morning and it's shite out now.

Back and forth the between pissing rain and beautiful sunshine all day in Mallow so far.

Anyone else sick of this election shit? There's a radio in the office here and I'm tired of hearing about it. A month after the election and they still can't work something out. It's embarrassing.

Anyone been keeping up with that abortion case up North? With the outcry at Trump's comments wanting to prosecute women who have the procedure I'm surprised no one has made an official thread on it. Also that article by the woman who tipped off the police was so laughably bad it's a disgrace it was published. Though it's not a surprise as the Indo has become a rag just like the others in the past few years. Their website is basically click baity stuff it wouldn't look out of place on Buzzfeed or the Mail with a right-wing bias. Thankfully the Irish Times seems to have some sort of journalistic integrity left.

kharma45

Anyone been keeping up with that abortion case up North? With the outcry at Trump's comments wanting to prosecute women who have the procedure I'm surprised no one has made an official thread on it. Also that article by the woman who tipped off the police was so laughably bad it's a disgrace it was published. Though it's not a surprise as the Indo has become a rag just like the others in the past few years. Their website is basically click baity stuff it wouldn't look out of place on Buzzfeed or the Mail with a right-wing bias. Thankfully the Irish Times seems to have some sort of journalistic integrity left.

I forget the name of that pro life woman but she and her organisation are all reprehensible, repulsive cunts.

Dazzler

loads of Irish websites seem to have gone down the clickbait route unfortunately

Trying to keep up with news from home is a chore now

The Indo site is god-awful for it, Joe and Balls.ie too

I forget the name of that pro life woman but she and her organisation are all reprehensible, repulsive cunts.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Breda O'Brien and her ilk (Iona Institute and Youth Defence). If the next government had any balls they'd stop funding from right wing organisations in the US to these supposed Irish institutions but that'll never happen. So sick of this shit. Can we just have a referendum on repealing the 8th amendment already? No woman of child bearing age has yet to vote on their reproductive rights which is a shocking indictment on the past governments. Labour should have come down hard on both a Gay Marriage referendum and a referendum on the 8th amendment in the previous Government plan. I'm a college going student and although it's selection bias there was a vote last year where 90% of students in my university would support a woman's right to an abortion. Frankly I can't see it being passed for another 10 years when a new generation is given their chance to govern but it is promising that overall the country is becoming more liberal. You'll only have the standard rural areas who are so disconnected with where society is going to be the last stand outs.

loads of Irish websites seem to have gone down the clickbait route unfortunately

Trying to keep up with news from home is a chore now

The Indo site is god-awful for it, Joe and Balls.ie too

The standard of journalism has become appalling since Facebook has become a big presence for these sites. I can't use that site anymore without a "You'll never guess what this legend in Laois has done" or some shitty LadBible video/article where it's regurgitated shite from other smaller sources. All I use the site for anymore is the messaging app for friends and the calls and even those are awful quality compared to What'sApp.

Is abortion not fully legal in the North? Fucks sake.

No, Sinn Féin and the smaller parties support it but the DUP are the big hold-outs. They get to veto any legislation even if the majority are in favour. Dunno how that government functions to be honest but at least there's somewhat peace from the dark days of the 70's/80's/90's.

NateDog

It will be net, as they have no way of knowing an applicants tax status.

That's a fucking shocking low amount.

I had another check on what seems to be a more reliable tax calculator and it seems much better now, guess I had my figures messed up.

No, Sinn Féin and the smaller parties support it but the DUP are the big hold-outs. They get to veto any legislation even if the majority are in favour. Dunno how that government functions to be honest but at least there's somewhat peace from the dark days of the 70's/80's/90's.

Christ. Thats just sad*

*he said, in the country which also doesn't allow it.

kharma45

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're talking about Breda O'Brien and her ilk (Iona Institute and Youth Defence). If the next government had any balls they'd stop funding from right wing organisations in the US to these supposed Irish institutions but that'll never happen. So sick of this shit. Can we just have a referendum on repealing the 8th amendment already? No woman of child bearing age has yet to vote on their reproductive rights which is a shocking indictment on the past governments. Labour should have come down hard on both a Gay Marriage referendum and a referendum on the 8th amendment in the previous Government plan. I'm a college going student and although it's selection bias there was a vote last year where 90% of students in my university would support a woman's right to an abortion. Frankly I can't see it being passed for another 10 years when a new generation is given their chance to govern but it is promising that overall the country is becoming more liberal. You'll only have the standard rural areas who are so disconnected with where society is going to be the last stand outs..

Na I'm not, I'm talking about Bernadette Smyth from Precious Life. Have a Google about her and be disgusted. Hanging around outside abortion advice clinics harassing women and standing with placards like this

original

90278285.jpg

They can all burn in Hell.

Yep Petition of Concern will block it if they ever get a majority to vote for it, just like gay marriage.

NateDog

So it's the munchies that are making us fat. What a country.
Lol I remember one day when I worked in Xtravision we had a deal on Galaxy Duet bars (2 for €1.50). These guys came in with an unbelievably bad stench of weed on and around them and all separately, one of the guys bought 10 sets of the 2 bars. He just kept buying 2, walking away a bit and then coming back and saying "ah well can't say no to a deal like that" while laughing. Funny fellas, them.

Darrenf

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I ordered 2 Blu-Rays from Amazon.ca for around €26. Fucking UPS want €28 for import duty. I shouldn't have to pay anything as its under €28.

I have no clue where they got that figure from. I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what's the story. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Desmond

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I ordered 2 Blu-Rays from Amazon.ca for around €26. Fucking UPS want €28 for import duty. I shouldn't have to pay anything as its under €28.

I have no clue where they got that figure from. I'm going to ring them on Monday to see what's the story. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I always thought it had to be under €22 to avoid import duty? Even still, why wold the import duty cost more than the BDs? Thought it was around 40% of the value at most.

The Hobo

That definitely seems high for customs charges. I've bought Blu-Rays from Japan that cost €50 and the most I had to pay was €17 to customs.

Top Bottom