• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man 3 vs Man of Steel, FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

Iron Man 3 will make more money. There's just no way in hell I can see Man of Steel doing the numbers of IM3. There's so much working in its favor compared to Man of Steel, which is still trying to wash the awful taste of Superman Returns out of everyone's mouth.

But unless Snyder, Goyer and Nolan completely shit the bed, there's no way Man of Steel won't be a better film. Iron Man 3 was an Iron Man film that was unabashedly embarrassed to be a comic book film and tried to hide it as much as possible. Man of Steel seems to be embracing its comic book and science-fiction heritage.

That's a laugh.

WillyFive

That's a laugh.

Yeah.

This is embracing the comic book heritage:

Superman-superman-2770532-1024-768.jpg

But this is just it being an action figure:

You can almost imagine the hinges on the arms and the screw bolts on the backside.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
But unless Snyder, Goyer and Nolan completely shit the bed, there's no way Man of Steel won't be a better film. Iron Man 3 was an Iron Man film that was unabashedly embarrassed to be a comic book film and tried to hide it as much as possible. Man of Steel seems to be embracing its comic book and science-fiction heritage.

There's the rub. Snyder has a distinctive visual style, but everything else about his films are crap.

MisterHero

That's a well thought out argument.
I felt that way for a while, but people started pointing out parts that belonged to various comic storylines. Imagery and quotes from All-Star Superman, Birthright, Post-crisis reboot, pre-Crisis Phantom Zone criminals (aside from Zod), etc.

It's releasing during Action Comics 1's 75th anniversary

this movie's gonna be nuts man

Yeah.

This is embracing the comic book heritage:
Chris Reeve would've sufficed. Cool kids want their modern costumes though.

All will be well when New 52 is undone in a couple years. :p

livestOne

I couldn't even sit through IM3, and I have a sneaking suspicion it wont be looked back fondly upon. So ya im betting MOS gets at least even if not more

3N16MA

Banned
I couldn't even sit through IM3, and I have a sneaking suspicion it wont be looked back fondly upon. So ya im betting MOS gets at least even if not more

MoS being the better film does not mean it will also perform better at the box office.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I will be surprised if MoS outgrosses IM3, but stranger things have happened. All depends how willing audiences are to give Superman another chance after Superman Returns. If it's really good, even if it has a soft opening weekend, word of mouth could carry it to high box office for several weekends in a row.

I couldn't even sit through IM3, and I have a sneaking suspicion it wont be looked back fondly upon.

I think you're in the minority on that one.

Is this the Box Office fight thread for the year?

Remember how everyone got it completely backwards last year?

I say Iron Man 3 wins this round but I have a very good feeling about Man of Steel's momentum.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
iron man will make more money

superman will be better.

livestOne

MoS being the better film does not mean it will also perform better at the box office.

oh trust me I know, I mean to say I think MOS will be the better movie and make as much if not more than IM

edit: maybe Im still hyped on the back of that last trailer, the only other one I saw was the first? one with the sad music and the deep thoughts superman.

Tacitus_

A comic and a movie nerd fight in the same thread? GAF will bankrupt me because of the amount of popcorn I'll need.

.la1n

I am not convinced the man of steel will have the mass appeal that iron man has built for itself, not to mention people who are fans of RDJ. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Kimawolf

The way some people talk about Thor 2, you'd probably think it's some shitty B-movie that barely broke even. And that's without even counting the obvious Avengers boost it'll have.

But meh, MovieGAF, in general, underrates Marvel's movies at the BO in a pretty spectacular fashion so I'm not surprised.

Well I just mean are we REALLY at a point now where WB messed up Superman so bad that THOR is a bigger box office draw than Superman? Superman is probably in the top five most recognizable icons in the world.

But I have a sneaking feeling Thor 2 will do equal if not better numbers.

Well I just mean are we REALLY at a point now where WB messed up Superman so bad that THOR is a bigger box office draw than Superman? Superman is probably in the top five most recognizable icons in the world.

But I have a sneaking feeling Thor 2 will do equal if not better numbers.

We're at a point where Iron Man alone has almost the same box office draw as Batman.

A point where Quicksilver is going to appear in two big movies before Flash appears in one.

ReiGun

Wait have all of you guys seen the movie?

How the fuck do we know it's gonna be a better movie than Iron Man 3?

IM3 isn't exactly a high bar.

As JdFoX187 said, this movie would have to completely shit the bed to be worse.

It's like you people didn't learn your lesson from Avengers making Batman their bitch.

So, you're saying we're all going to get it wrong and MoS will make more money?

That'd be neat.

Nesotenso

IM3 isn't exactly a high bar.

As JdFoX187 said, this movie would have to completely shit the bed to be worse.

So, you're saying we're all going to get it wrong and MoS will make more money?

That'd be neat.

you pretend like IM3 was the worst thing to come out in a long time.

I like all these "look how easily Superman would beat Iron Man" gifs, as if being woefully overpowered reflects positively on his character.

ReiGun

you pretend like IM3 was the worst thing to come out in a long time.

Didn't say that; don't think that. But it wasn't that good. Everything I've seen from Man of Steel suggest it will be better than IM3. The actual movie would have to fall flat on its face - aka shit the bed - to not match or surpass IM3.

REALLY enjoyed Iron Man 3. It was hilarious and the super hero-y stuff was extremely well executed. My expectations with all superman related media is low these days, hoping to be surprised.

Nesotenso

Didn't say that; don't think that. But it wasn't that good. Everything I've seen from Man of Steel suggest it will be better than IM3. The actual movie would have to fall flat on its face - aka shit the bed - to not match or surpass IM3.

Goyer is not shit when he has to rely on superlative work and writing in the source material. But Snyder has some weird handheld cam thing going on based on the footage shown

Raptor

The next Iron Man shoudl be a straigth up comedy and be marketed as that, IM3 was borderline to much comedy for is own good.

Iron Man 1 had a a ton of hype and only made like close to 600 million. I don't see how Man Of Steel right now has the same awareness and interest by a world audience that Iron Man 3 did. Superman also doesn't have Avengers in its back.

I would say Man of Steel hitting a billion is a big stretch.

I'll never understand peoples fascination with box office numbers. Iron Man 3 wasn't very good and Superman is a snoozefest of a superhero. So whoever wins, we lose because we'll end up with more and more superhero oversaturation.

The next Iron Man shoudl be a straigth up comedy and be marketed as that, IM3 was borderline to much comedy for is own good.

There was too much comedy! It's almost like Marvel understands that in order to appeal to wide audience you need to make the movie entertaining...Snyder has yet to make a film that could possibly appeal to any more than a niche demographic.

Also Man of Steel has Kevin Costner in it. The curse continues.

ReiGun

That would never happen. As much as people enjoy the comedy bits in IM - they really are the best part - most still want to feel the movie is serious and "epic."

I would really love that though.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think Ive heard a single positive reaction from anyone whose seen Iron Man 3.

The trailers of Man of Steel alone are better than all previous Marvel movies, so...

ReiGun

I don't think Ive heard a single positive reaction from anyone whose seen Iron Man 3.

The trailers of Man of Steel alone are better than all previous Marvel movies, so...

My friends enjoyed it.

They think the only reason I didn't feel it was because I'm a comic book fan. (The curse of being a comic fan is that no one believes you can judge these movies on their own merits. lol)

That would never happen. As much as people enjoy the comedy bits in IM - they really are the best part - most still want to feel the movie is serious and "epic."

I would really love that though.

I disagree. The comedy bits were the best part in Iron Man 1, in Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 it feels like they need to have a funny line every two lines. It's what's made hard for me to enjoy the sequels as much as the first one.

ReiGun

I disagree. The comedy bits were the best part in Iron Man 1, in Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 it feels like they need to have a funny line every two lines. It's what's made hard for me to enjoy the sequels as much as the first one.

I thought the comedy was the saving grace in IM2. I can agree that in 3, it got in the way due to messing with the tone and - for want of a better term - flow of the movie. Still, my favorite scenes were those with the kid and the Mandarin; so for me, it wasn't all bad.

The comedy is the franchise's greatest strength.

This is the heart of the matter right here. MoS is a movie for people who like trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom