• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man 3 vs Man of Steel, FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor

I disagree. The comedy bits were the best part in Iron Man 1, in Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3 it feels like they need to have a funny line every two lines. It's what's made hard for me to enjoy the sequels as much as the first one.

Agreed, IM3 even in its more serious moments, in the very climax of the freaking movie they thought it was good to have some comedy there, took me out completly and made me cringe so hard that pretty much made the entire movie unwatchable for me now.

Comedy is fine here and there to break the flow and have some calm and relaxed moment but not ALL THE TIME!! Jeez....

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't think of a single Marvel movie with actually decent cinematography

They're all passable at best (iron man, avengers), or insulting at worst (thor)

Man of Steel looks effortlessly iconic in nearly every shot we've seen so far.

3N16MA

Banned
Agreed, IM3 even in its more serious moments, in the very climax of the freaking movie they thought it was good to have some comedy there, took me out completly and made me cringe so hard that pretty much made the entire movie unwatchable for me now.

Comedy is fine here and there to break the flow and have some calm and relaxed moment but not ALL THE TIME!! Jeez....

RDJ/Don Cheadle buddy cop film incoming. Shane Black to direct.

Raiden

Banned
So funny: In this thread, people attributing quality to Snyder.

I thought he was an easy whipping boy here.

Snyder is perfect for this kind of franchise. I mean look at 300 and Watchmen and think all of that in a Superman jacket. Its just perfect for this kind of stuff.

I agree. Iron Man 3 spoilers>>>
they had Tony joking 20 seconds after he thought Pepper just fell to her death, that ruined it for me

I don't think it does at all

You should take off the Marvel blinders and open your eyes. Their movies are ugly.

I remember being all pumped about Seamus McGarvey being hired for Avengers... :( Let the man work Marvel.

I think MoS has a good chance to turn out to be the better movie, but I don't think it will touch IM's box office totals. Maybe the sequel will!

GAZLJj5.gif

Did Tony see what Clark did?

perfect hahaha

Not sure why everyone is quick to write off MoS.
1. No one expected IM3 to do this good. Especially WW.
2. MoS will have 3D/IMAX tax too.
3. TKDR did really great outside US. I think the trend will continue thanks to Nolan.
4. Not that much competition. Well good competition at least.

But i guess we'll see, Hows the tracking for MoS so far?

numble

The Avengers made $84 million in China.
Iron Man 3 made $100 million in China so far.

Part of it is due just to the general increasing China box office, but IM3 also heavily advertised big Chinese actors and a China-specific cut. You won't get that with MoS.

I am very excited to see yet another Superman origin stzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously, my expectations are incredibly low for Man of Steel, so if it isn't terrible like every other Superman movie ever made it will come across as great. It doesn't have the innate appeal to compete with the hype Marvel created, so it will depend a lot on word of mouth. It has to be good to succeed.

still baffled at the hate for Iron Man 3. I found it to be the most enjoyable thing out of Marvel studios. in fact I hope I enjoy Man of Steel as much (or more).

it felt like a buddy-cop movie at times too. in shane black i trust.

dmshaposv

Man of Steel is whoring the fuck out of JJ Abram's use of stylized anamophic lens flares, though.

I am very excited to see yet another Superman origin stzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Seriously, my expectations are incredibly low for Man of Steel, so if it isn't terrible like every other Superman movie ever made it will come across as great. It doesn't have the innate appeal to compete with the hype Marvel created, so it will depend a lot on word of mouth. It has to be good to succeed.

it was done once and that film was great.

Clark has a worse name, a worse suit and isn't coming off the biggest action movie in a while. Tony wins free at box office.

As far as quality, I dug IM3 and I don't like Supes as a character that much but I could see MoS being better. Im3 was super entertaining though. Buddy Cop flick was da bess.

Not interested in origin stories by and large since you know the story of everyone that matters, especially Supes, Bats and Spidey, but I'll suffer it for this.

It's only been done once before and that was a long fucking time ago.

Once in movies, a million times in comics, cartoons, and live action tv shows.

Man of Steel could be good though, there is just nothing about it that makes me hyped. Word of mouth is going to make or break it imo.

Kimawolf

It's only been done once before and that was a long fucking time ago.

Superman returns felt like a "spiritual retelling" trying to modernize it and all that. Didn't they even have a "childhood clark/alien landing" scene in that movie too? And we're about to see it again.

ReiGun

Superman returns felt like a "spiritual retelling" trying to modernize it and all that. Didn't they even have a "childhood clark/alien landing" scene in that movie too? And we're about to see it again.

Superman one fast forwarded through Clark's time in Smallville before becoming Superman. By all reports, MoS is going to flesh that part out much more.

People have said it's like Batman Begins far as pacing goes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I imagine Man of Steel will open a bit lower than Iron Man 3, but it could have longer legs if word of mouth is good.

Jarmel

Banned
No way in hell, MoS touches IM3's box numbers. As for quality, who knows. I don't exactly have blind faith in the writing team for MoS or the director so who knows.

No way in hell, MoS touches IM3's box numbers. As for quality, who knows. I don't exactly have blind faith in the writing team for MoS or the director so who knows.

yeah i love the cast and the trailers for man of steel have been killer. it's just the director and scriptwriter who has me wary.

however, it could be good.

livestOne

which will be the better reboot is probably a better question, IM 2 and 3 were just riding on the coattails of the first one

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
it doesnt matter , if this movie is as good as it looks, the sequel...Last Son of Krypton or whatever they call it, will be HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

dmshaposv

JJ Abrams didn't invent the lens flare, jesus.

He stole it from Spielberg, like he's done every other visual signifier he's ever used.

I never said he did.

Mission Impossible III (to a lesser degree) and Star Trek 2009 (to a very large degree) promoted the overuse of anamorphic lens flares (the long horizontal light beam as demonstrated in the pic below) as a result of using anamorphic lenses. They literally shone light on to the camera. (a making of Trek 09 describes this).

JJ popularized it resurgence in action movies these days by doing them intentionally and through exaggeration. Old movies obviously captured flares (and flaring in general in photography is not considered "appealing" - which is why we have lens hoods) but they were not used stylistic element as Abrams has used in his films.

large.jpg

I never said he did.

Mission Impossible III (to a lesser degree) and Star Trek 2009 (to a very large degree) promoted the overuse of anamorphic lens flares (the long horizontal light beam as demonstrated in the pic below) as a result of using anamorphic lenses. They literally shone light on to the camera. (a making of Trek 09 describes this).

JJ popularized it resurgence in action movies these days by doing them intentionally and through exaggeration. Old movies obviously captured flares (and flaring in general in photography is not considered "appealing" - which is why we have lens hoods) but they were not used stylistic element as Abrams has used in his films.

They didn't "promote the overuse" of anything but dipshits on the internet using it as a shorthand for knowing what they're talking about. :)

Lensflare's been around since cameras. It's been used as a stylistic choice by many directors since the 60s/70s. It didn't get turned into an internet meme until the late 2000s, by people whose knowledge of movies begins and ends with big-budget blockbusters less than 10 years old, who wanted credit for being some sort of dilettante know-it-all by dint of noticing something.

Amey

The person who made this gif clearly did not see Iron Man 3. Tony makes his suits out of tin foil now. It would have fallen apart after the first punch.

I was like wat the hell.... how come each of Aldrich Killian's minion is more powerful than Thor?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The word of mouth would have be insane for this to touch Iron Man 3. I love Supes, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. If we're super lucky it will get amazing reviews and will hold strong throughout June.

The word of mouth would have be insane for this to touch Iron Man 3. I love Supes, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon. If we're super lucky it will get amazing reviews and will hold strong throughout June.

Yeah, it's a question of legs more than anything - one of the few times the quality of the film actually DOES have something to do with the box office. Most times, it absolutely does not.

But if people leave the theater recommending the movie for it's qualities (i.e. You Gotta see this on the BIG SCREEN or OMG Superman made me cry it's SO GOOD) then maybe it gets a chance to enjoy smaller weekend-to-weekend drops.

If it manages to stick around in the top 3 through July 4th weekend, that'll be a good sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom