• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iron Man 3 vs Man of Steel, FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJD

3ofoln1.jpg

75bs7Dh.gif

Sorry, love Wolvie but he and the X-Men doesn't have a chance until they can find their way out of Fox...which is probably never happening.

dmshaposv

They didn't "promote the overuse" of anything but dipshits on the internet using it as a shorthand for knowing what they're talking about. :)

Lensflare's been around since cameras. It's been used as a stylistic choice by many directors since the 60s/70s. It didn't get turned into an internet meme until the late 2000s, by people whose knowledge of movies begins and ends with big-budget blockbusters less than 10 years old, who wanted credit for being some sort of dilettante know-it-all by dint of noticing something.

Its not a meme.

I mentioned resurgence because lens flares obviously have been used since the dawn of the camera. Abrams use - or rather overuse - seems like a conscious stylistic decision rather than an occasional touch. Most action directors have been jumping on the bandwagon, lately. Thats why I mentioned Abrams, but obviously the use of the flare predates him by several decades.

(in fact Star Trek into the darkness has toned down the use immensely, to a point where it feels tasteful - but grossly exaggerated in every man of steel media shown)

Think of how the audio cues of the BRRRR french horn from Inception has been copied in every action blockbuster trailer released in the last few years following Inception - when Hans Zimmer obviously didn't invent the french horn or the BRRR sound.

3N16MA

Banned
If this does $300 million domestic WB would be very happy as I'm sure the OS gross would be more. They're looking to establish Superman as a franchise once again and I doubt anyone really thinks it will topple IM3 or match the final two Nolan Batman films.

Its not a meme.

Yeah, it is. You mention "resurgence" as if it had gone away in the first place. It hadn't. It's always a conscious stylish decision, just like rack-zooms & whip pans & desaturated color timing & crane shots & high contrast grainy film stock & so on and so on. There's no 'bandwagon' to jump on. it's being noticed more in the same way people notice blue cars on the freeway after having one pointed out to them. Its not like people are suddenly making more blue cars JUST as you started to notice it.

I keep reading that Warner Bros is very proud of MoS, so I'm hoping word of mouth is good and it has good staying power even if it doesn't hit as hard and fast as IM3, money-wise.

I liked IM3 more than 1 or 2 but the further I get away from it, the less outstanding it was. It was good, but not very good or even great. I knew this because as soon as I saw Fast 6 it was the best time I'd had in cinemas since Cloud Atlas, Stoker or Django.

MoS has the opportunity to be outstanding. It looks epic, as in it looks like it spans a lot of time and tries to do a lot of things. It's a Superman origin, which we haven't had in decades.

And it's Superman, for God's sake, it feels new and exciting just because of how recognisable it is and how much Marvel and Batman we've had since Returns.

Depends on how good the movie is and how well they market it.

Iron Man really appeals to the younger kids, with its funny moments and all. With Nolan, Goyer and Snyder behind Man Of Steel, I don't think it would be serious, if not as serious as the Dark Knight series.

Either way, hard to beat Iron Man 3 numbers. Stark already has the fan base from the other two movies and The Avengers.

ReiGun

Will Superman Returns have any impact on Man of Steel?

In the sense that internet hyperbole has people thinking there's been a huge amount of Superman reboots as opposed to just two (Returns and MoS)? Potentially. :p

I think that as bad a taste Returns left in people's mouths, there are more than enough people who want a good Superman movie to make it a success. Nolan's name being attached will do enough to get people to give this a chance at least.

Veelk

Banned
This should probably go in the Iron man thread, but fuck it.

The suit earned it's name "Shades", for it's ability to withstand extreme temperatures in the heat, because of it's multiple-layered and anti-heat armor plating, which was built within the suit by Tony, to prevent the suit from melting and eventually burning Tony inside of it.

Holy fucking shit tony, why were you so goddamn stupid in 3
LLShC.gif

kswiston

Unlike the Avengers vs TDKR last year, this is not a very fair match up.

A) Man of Steel isn't a sequel, and will not have the same level of built in hype.

B) Iron Man 3 has been out a month, so we already know it is heading for $1.2B+.

So no, Man of Steel is not surpassing Iron Man 3. Worlwide, only 4 films have ever made more than Iron Man 3. Breaking $1 billion is also very long shot. Only three films have broken the $1B mark without being direct sequels to smaller films: Titanic, Avatar, and Alice in Wonderland (which rode Avatar's 3D wave to $1B).

If the film is extremely well received, I could see upwards of $800M worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if the total is closer to $500-600M though.

Ovid

This movie (Man of Steel aka Superman) looks really good.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who thinks the Nolan Batman trilogy was a snooze feast.

Also, no way is this film betting out IM3. RDJ FTW.

I can't think of a single Marvel movie with actually decent cinematography

They're all passable at best (iron man, avengers), or insulting at worst (thor)

Man of Steel looks effortlessly iconic in nearly every shot we've seen so far.

This is what I'm talking about.

Also doubt this will get DKR numbers, Superman is largely iconic but Batman seems to have always been more popular and marketable. Not holding my breath to see this get anywhere near the DKR

I have little interest in Superman in general, and not a big fan of Snyder, and to keep going I thought the Dark Knight Rises was pretty bad, but I think Man of Steel looks like it good be quite good.

KillGore

Remember when GAF thought Rises would beat The Avengers?? Look how that turned out. Man of Steel will probably beat IM3 or at least hit 1 bil. Come at me GAF.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Well obviously MoS has no chance at the BO against IM3. Quality-wise I don't see it too hard for MoS to be a better movie considering IM3 was shit.

No way it beats IM3 at the box office. I think MoS will have a slightly better than Batman Begins like performance. Once there is a movie under the franchise's belt, I can see sequels to MoS performing twice as good if not moreso if the critical and public perception of the first movie is good.

I can't believe people didn't like Ironman 3. WTF. It's it just people mad about Mandarin? Films are finite, not perpetual like comics, it's fine to make a villain one and done or add a twist of flavor.

Man of Steel looks kind of drab and like they missed the point. Like, why is his costume so drab and pale? A man doesn't dress in tights and a cape with a giant S on the chest for nothing. It's to be a symbol, a beacon, which is what makes the primary colors, and the entire outfit, work. The fact that they could mess that up just to fit some modern sensibilities doesn't fill me with confidence that they are going to get the rest right.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The sequels of MoS might beat the future IMs, but this one won't. I think it will end up near 700 million WW.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Man of Steel looks kind of drab and like they missed the point. Like, why is his costume so drab and pale? A man doesn't dress in tights and a cape with a giant S on the chest for nothing. It's to be a symbol, a beacon, which is what makes the primary colors, and the entire outfit, work. The fact that they could mess that up just to fit some modern sensibilities doesn't fill me with confidence that they are going to get the rest right.
You are crazy the new suit looks awesome.

5CeT3QG.gif

You make it sound like he's walking around in black and white, the colors still look good. And it's still treated like a symbol and a beacon, shit, Supes says as much in the third trailer.

EDIT: Log4Girlz is right. In terms of quality, I'd like to see how this compares with the first Iron Man. If MoS does good money and is anywhere near as good a movie as IM1, I could give a fuck about it hitting $1B

ReiGun

I can't believe people didn't like Ironman 3. WTF. It's it just people mad about Mandarin? Films are finite, not perpetual like comics, it's fine to make a villain one and done or add a twist of flavor.

Movie Mandarin >>> comics Mandarin.

Movie was still disappointing.

jtb

Banned
I don't know why people are so pessimistic about Man of Steel's box office chances. Superman is fucking iconic, there's a lot of pent-up demand (for a GOOD superman movie), the hype has been strong, the marketing seems to be pretty effective. 100m opening at minimum with strong legs if it's good can take it to 350m and beyond.

the bigger question mark for me is how it'll play overseas. I know TDK did quite poorly overseas compared to it's huge domestic pull and Superman is a pretty America centric character. we'll see I suppose.

I don't know why people are so pessimistic about Man of Steel's box office chances. Superman is fucking iconic, there's a lot of pent-up demand (for a GOOD superman movie), the hype has been strong, the marketing seems to be pretty effective. 100m opening at minimum with strong legs if it's good can take it to 350m and beyond.

the bigger question mark for me is how it'll play overseas. I know TDK did quite poorly overseas compared to it's huge domestic pull and Superman is a pretty America centric character. we'll see I suppose.

Because people are stupid. Remember JUST last year when everyone wrote off Avengers and said TDKR and Hobbit were the home runs? Audiences are unpredictable, if a film resonates with the zeitgeist it will do gangbusters, despite the armchair analytical naysayers.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
I read the title as "Real Steel", and thought that Iron Man would obviously destroy one of those Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots. But I haven't seen that movie, so maybe Jackman has some moves?

superman? literally the most boring comic book hero.

I generally agree, but All-Star Superman was awesome. Go watch it.

Vitter.

A trailer of Man of Steel is better than IM3, wich is sad because i hope all cbm to be good(unless it´s ghost rider wich there´s no hope, at least the cage era:p).

McLovin

Last superman was ass so I don't think it matters how good man of steel is. The last hulk movie was great, but nobody saw it because of that other atrocity.

nomis

Great word of mouth and critical acclaim would carry MoS to Harry Potter-non Deathly Hallows Part 2 numbers. (900m)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, I do think it's possible MoS may surprise us.

Hell, did anyone think any of the Iron Mans or The Avengers would be anywhere near as successful as they were?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom