• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

le-seb

That quiche looks great!

Back to my lemon tart experiments:
XGleVOcOAGwMQWXjcZJIphgEL3N99dPGHapgoNkaj8ePsRs56BbZNJlpozCx1KWXqbdZPkTwEA=w1751-h940-no

Now that I have found a butter free lemon cream recipe, I think that my recipe is near perfect.
The only thing left to fix is a light bitterness, probably coming from the lemon zests that I've left in the cream.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That quiche looks great!

Back to my lemon tart experiments:
XGleVOcOAGwMQWXjcZJIphgEL3N99dPGHapgoNkaj8ePsRs56BbZNJlpozCx1KWXqbdZPkTwEA=w1751-h940-no

Now that I have found a butter free lemon cream recipe, I think that my recipe is near perfect.
The only thing left to fix is a light bitterness, probably coming from the lemon zests that I've left in the cream.

If you can get them, try amalfi lemons :)!

le-seb

They're the kind of sweet lemons, like Menton ones, right?
I'll try to find some next time.

Two weeks ago, I've made almost 100 choux for a family meeting.
Half of them were stuffed with a chocolate curd, and the other half with a a caramel one.
They all were coated with a nice caramel sauce, chocolate flavored for the first ones.

I have no photograph of them, except for my first batch of choux, so use your imagination. ;)
ZI5u2ichsF2R9UYMnhyoZWvErpzY2QfOt7m3YjbtbbzmvUrUnQeT2K2NnNIORJw2zzGIgavx7w=w898-h844-no

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
soooo my mom visited and there is an italian supermarket close to her new flat.

rKpaxAEh.jpg

lol :D I mean, I'm happy that she bought that stuff without me asking..but that's so much ~_~"

le-seb

My mother does the same, there's nothing you can do about it (except cooking and eating well to please her).

Made some bœuf bourguignon:
ESLSzTFpFoAwwdtOfvoYmxMzSedPHZD07LJYEmzSfF6vHqfyFoouPKvXWyJv1NZB30tY2N4iAA=w1258-h939-no

vkf-E3aNtqFTTo56Sk5mlBe4GUaEum54r220Cc5_qf68RXu7OuxmH7eLxilYpAv94xB6VCO3Vw=w1243-h939-no

Awesome tasting, but my whole flat is stinking wine, now. :(

Have a section of the lemon tart as a bonus shot:
OeugaIyuSkhK0PGG45yjHmYdEPRqzH60EznGb8F8f_hzKlYMezdi40d2-UuGWiGY0qisWTU2Qw=w1619-h939-no

zbarron

That looks good. How much wine went into it and what wine did you use?

Today was the first day we had snow stick to the ground so I made an onigiri snowman.
30317343234_2aa47f4689_b.jpg

It would have been better with black sesame seeds but I made due with sriracha.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My mother does the same, there's nothing you can do about it (except cooking and eating well to please her).

]

You're probably right lol

Looks good! I usually make the Julia Child recipe, but I'm looking for a faster one!

Lilith

Damn that looks quiche looks tasty,care to share the recipe?

Y'all should be required to post your recipes and directions with every food photo posted !

Lilith is translating for you guys the recipe right now from german into english ^_^/

this is what it looks like after a night of resting.

My Quiche Lorraine

250 gr Black Forest Ham or Bacon, cut into strips
2 medium-sized onions, finely chopped
4 eggs, beaten
200 ml fresh cream
200 gr Gruyère cheese, finely grated
Pepper, freshly ground
Nutmeg to taste

Shortcrust pastry:
250 gr flour [a mix of german 405 (cake flour) and 1050 (sth. between bread flour & whole wheat flour), ratio 1:2]
1/2 tsp salt
75 gr lard
50 gr butter
80 ml ice-cold water

1. Prepare the dough: sift flour, add salt. Add lard and butter (in small pieces). Mix (I'm using a stand mixer). Add water slowly, the dough should be homogenous. You might not need all of it. Mix. Form to a ball, wrap in plastic wrap. Put in fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven (220° C). Roll out the dough, put in a greased springform pan (28cm). Pull it up, cut off excessive dough. Bake shortcrust blind for about 15 minutes (on the lowest rack).
3. Prepare the filling: in a bowl mix onions, eggs, cream and cheese together. Season.
4. Put the bacon/ham into the pre-baked pastry shell. Add the liquid filling. Cover with kitchen foil. Bake for about 35 minutes on middle rack (200°C). Uncover, brown the surface until golden.

le-seb

How much wine went into it and what wine did you use?
I took what I had at hand: some Graves (a Bordeaux red wine).
My recipe called for 30 cl red wine and 30 cl water for 1 kg meat.

I usually make the Julia Child recipe, but I'm looking for a faster one!
For once, I slow cooked it in my dutch oven (took 3 hours), but I generally use my pressure cooker (down to 1 hour.)
The longer you cook it the better, obviously, but this gives me a sufficiently good start.

Just got back from a week at Disney. Had so many good meals, but this one entree really stands out for me;

Yw5yNPd.jpg

Waygu Beef Filet with Black Garlic Butter, Duck Fat Potatoes, Roasted head of Garlic.

Also we went to Art Smith's place at Disney Springs and the food was actually really good, and the portions were enormous. We ended up sharing everything to get a decent sample;

0uom8yK.jpg

UYXUfhV.jpg

9NOumbO.jpg

The fried chicken sammich was perhaps the best we ever had. Easily eclipsed the Chicken Shack at Shake Shack, and even Chik-Fil-A's standard chicken sammich.

The pimento cheese hushpuppies with even more pimento cheese to spread on, and hot pepper jelly was the perfect starter.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

First time pickling. Left is carrot sticks banh mi sandwich style, right is sirke wali pyaaz with shallots.

Front is dinner. Chicken thighs with zucchini medallions stir fry.

My Quiche Lorraine

4 eggs, beaten
200 ml fresh cream
Pepper, freshly ground
Nutmeg to taste

Shortcrust pastry:
250 gr flour [a mix of german 405 (cake flour) and 1050 (sth. between bread flour & whole wheat flour), ratio 1:2]
1/2 tsp salt
75 gr lard
50 gr butter
80 ml ice-cold water

1. Prepare the dough: sift flour, add salt. Add lard and butter (in small pieces). Mix (I'm using a stand mixer). Add water slowly, the dough should be homogenous. You might not need all of it. Mix. Form to a ball, wrap in plastic wrap. Put in fridge for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat the oven (220° C). Roll out the dough, put in a greased springform pan (28cm). Pull it up, cut off excessive dough. Bake shortcrust blind for about 15 minutes (on the lowest rack).
3. Prepare the filling: in a bowl mix onions, eggs, cream and cheese together. Season.
4. Put the bacon/ham into the pre-baked pastry shell. Add the liquid filling. Cover with kitchen foil. Bake for about 35 minutes on middle rack (200°C). Uncover, brown the surface until golden.

Thank you!:) Gonna try this out after thanksgiving and will post my results.

D-Pad

So I fried some eggplant tonight. Was never a fan of it whenever I had it before (never liked the texture) but it came out amazing. Dipped eggplant slices in egg and breadcrumbs seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, and oregano, and fried them on both sides until golden brown. Definitely my preferred way of eating eggplant. I peeled half of it before I said f-it and started cutting. You couldn't tell aside from the (imo, more appealing) look of the skin-on slices.

Cxv9EE_WQAAecIX.jpg:medium

So I fried some eggplant tonight. Was never a fan of it whenever I had it before (never liked the texture) but it came out amazing. Dipped eggplant slices in egg and breadcrumbs seasoned with garlic salt, pepper, and oregano, and fried them on both sides until golden brown. Definitely my preferred way of eating eggplant. I peeled half of it before I said f-it and started cutting. You couldn't tell aside from the (imo, more appealing) look of the skin-on slices.

Cxv9EE_WQAAecIX.jpg:medium

I make a sort of ratatouille with fresh eggplant. I made a lot last summer, but I never got around to it this summer. I did can about two dozen quarts of tomatoes though. That was my payment for all the free fresh vegetables I want.

I made gumbo today. I made an oopsie though. I tried to use immitation crab and it doesn't work very well in stews. I did have sausage and shrimp in there too.

Just got back from a week at Disney. Had so many good meals, but this one entree really stands out for me;

Waygu Beef Filet with Black Garlic Butter, Duck Fat Potatoes, Roasted head of Garlic.

Was that at Artist Point? There's so many good places to eat at Disney. Even after working there for two years, I still only managed to eat at a handful of the sit down places.

Liljagare

Actually exited about tonights dinner, red beats with bacon and chevre.

We have 100's of huge beets, should last through winter, and dang, they are flavourfull.

Wtttp.

Symphonia

Banned
My Quiche Lorraine

4 eggs, beaten
200 ml fresh cream
Pepper, freshly ground
Nutmeg to taste

Shortcrust pastry:
1/2 tsp salt
75 gr lard
50 gr butter
80 ml ice-cold water

Been meaning to attempt a quiche for sometime. I think I'll do it this week following the recipe. Thank you.

Was that at Artist Point? There's so many good places to eat at Disney. Even after working there for two years, I still only managed to eat at a handful of the sit down places.

California Grill.

I wanted to go to AP, but the GF is kind of picky when it comes to food and there really wasn't anything interesting to her.

We did eat at the Territory Lounge though which gets its food from the AP kitchen though. Their pork nachos are amazing, plus you can get the Smokey Portobello soup and their signature cobbler in the Lounge as well.

I've been AWOL lately due to working full time in the restaurant u___u

2 of the chefs are leaving so me and the now new head pastry chef are working really hard to keep up and soak up all their duties before they leave. Not to mention, this is happening during our busiest season so it's been fucking nuts lately.

On a positive note, I've planned out what I'm bringing to friendsgiving and am going to be recipe testing tonight. I'll post up photos of my creation when it comes together in the next few days !

On a positive note, I've planned out what I'm bringing to friendsgiving and am going to be recipe testing tonight. I'll post up photos of my creation when it comes together in the next few days !
You're always welcome at my friendsgiving. I don't host until Saturday too. :)

I have a love hate relationship with big dinner gatherings. I don't really trust other people to make good food, so I over exert myself trying to make EVERYTHING. I barely trust my bf in the kitchen making eggs.

Made caramel sauce for the first time the other night. Gonna try and make caramel candy for Christmas presents for work.

Maybe once I figure out something to use it with I can take a picture of the sauce.

Symphonia

Banned
I've got a date Saturday night. My date has recently returned from a six-month trip around America. I'd like to cook her an authentic American dinner, so was thinking of making meatloaf. Can anyone recommend their go-to meatloaf recipe?

OG Kush

I've got a date Saturday night. My date has recently returned from a six-month trip around America. I'd like to cook her an authentic American dinner, so was thinking of making meatloaf. Can anyone recommend their go-to meatloaf recipe?

Maybe I'm being negative, but you really sure she wants more American food after already eating it for 6 months?

Maybe I'm being negative, but you really sure she wants more American food after already eating it for 6 months?

I always had a similar thought when we'd have folks visiting from overseas and someone would want to take them to our local version of their particular ethnic/national cuisine. On the other hand, when we would host older dignitaries from Japan, we'd often get requests from their exec assts not to let them eat at steakhouses non-stop, and to take them to Japanese restaurants exclusively "to avoid upsetting their stomachs." Always a struggle convincing the guy who vastly outranks you that, sorry, no, we can't get into the Smoke House or whatever.

That said, sometimes it's great when your version is so contrary to their experience that it becomes an endearing moment :).

Zyzyxxz

I've been AWOL lately due to working full time in the restaurant u___u

2 of the chefs are leaving so me and the now new head pastry chef are working really hard to keep up and soak up all their duties before they leave. Not to mention, this is happening during our busiest season so it's been fucking nuts lately.

good luck I've never had to experience the holiday craze in my paste jobs but for the first time this year I will since we are inside a mall now. Already hating the christmas music and its only day 1.

Symphonia

Banned
I did think that, but she made a point of saying how much she loved and misses it. So I had an idea to put on an American-themed meal for her.

Meatloaf is easy.

Ketchup
Breadcrumbs
1 egg
Garlic
Onion
Sweet pepper
- all chopped up finely but you can leave the onion a bit chunkier if you'd like.
Salt and pepper
That really long W-shire sauce that's annoying as heck to spell. You can also mix it with some ketchup to make a glazed sauce with a bit of brown sugar.

You want enough ketchup to mix into the meat and then enough bread crumbs to keep it from being soggy. You want a nice firm log of meat. You can bake it in any dish, but it's always better with a slotted tray on the bottom to allow the grease to drain away like a broiler pan or something.

I wanted to change the stuffing this year, so I made Stuffing Muffins with pancetta, pecans and apples.

15202571_10207186115037277_8930381914802152092_n.jpg

15203186_10207186114957275_8104915383103774598_n.jpg

15220182_10207186115077278_3663064417824198399_n.jpg

Cooked them at 350 for about 20 minutes. Turned out really well

So who has done the bulk of their Thanksgiving cooking in advanced?

I made my cornbread yesterday for the dressing and have it drying it out on the dining room table. I'll finish it tomorrow tossing in some smoked sausage as well.

Cooked my hasselback potato casserole pretty much 66% of the way, just need to top with cheese and cook for another 30 minutes.

Picked up the ham, and all I have to do is heat through.

Just need to figure out what veggies I'll be serving along the main spread.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Made shakshuka for the first time this morning. Pretty good stuff. Served it with a cut up baguette that I pan toasted in a whole bunch of butter. The eggs took a LOT longer to set up in the oven than the recipe said they should and I'm not sure why.

M1DWzV8.jpg

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Christmas soon, I'm thinking about making some special varieties of pickled herring (very common in Sweden, but also a traditional holiday food).

Contemplating these flavors:

• Chili
  • Edible flowers
  • Spruce shoots
Example image, orange flavored pickled herring:

apelsinsill4bu9h.jpg

OG Kush

Made shakshuka for the first time this morning. Pretty good stuff. Served it with a cut up baguette that I pan toasted in a whole bunch of butter. The eggs took a LOT longer to set up in the oven than the recipe said they should and I'm not sure why.

M1DWzV8.jpg

Damn this looks good and I just searched what Shakshuka is, I need to make this ASAP! You got a good recipe or shall I just take an general one off the web? It doesn't seem to complex.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Skipped dinner on this giving of thanks to pursue a cooking project instead.

Got the layers and whatnot but it's not as soft and fluffy as I wanted it to be. It was so hard on the outside, it felt like a fried tortilla. Not worth the time either. I'm not really at home around flour but it took me 2 hours to make 4 and cook 1!

Still a moderate success all things considered.

Is there a recommended cookware brand to buy stuff? I got some Le Creuset stuff but after they screwed me out of money and refuse to do anything to fix it, I'd like to avoid them.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a recommended cookware brand to buy stuff? I got some Le Creuset stuff but after they screwed me out of money and refuse to do anything to fix it, I'd like to avoid them.

I love my Staub Cocotte. Can really recommend them. But I've never needed their customer support!

thespot84

Skipped dinner on this giving of thanks to pursue a cooking project instead.

Got the layers and whatnot but it's not as soft and fluffy as I wanted it to be. It was so hard on the outside, it felt like a fried tortilla. Not worth the time either. I'm not really at home around flour but it took me 2 hours to make 4 and cook 1!

Still a moderate success all things considered.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/extra-flaky-scallion-pancakes-recipe.html

What recipe did you use? I did the serious eats one for my first time, it was also hard, didn't come out perfect, but it's definitely workable.

Top Bottom