• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Is there a recommended cookware brand to buy stuff? I got some Le Creuset stuff but after they screwed me out of money and refuse to do anything to fix it, I'd like to avoid them.

What kind of cookware are you looking for? There's Lodge for cast iron and All-Clad for stainless steel. I do have an Epicurious 10qt stock pot that I also love. T-Fal is still supposedly the best in non-stick skillets. I'd love some Vikingware for aluminum baking dishes, but right now I have older hand-me downs that are too good to give up on.

Customer service is a hit or miss sometimes. Sometimes you just gotta hang up and try again in a day or so after you've cooled down. You're unlikely to end up with the same person, and you might get better results.

thespot84

That explains it! Too bad about overcooking :(

Depends on what specifically and how much you're willing to spend. Pots? Mid range would be like a tramontina, sometimes Costco white labels those, pricier would be something likd calphalon or all clad. Knives? You can go completely nuts, mid range might be victorinox or cuisinart, high end could be shun, henkels, wustoff, etc. There's a NeoGAF kitchen knife thread around here somewhere, it's a good read.

Brands alone don't always tell the whole story, even good brands have not so good stuff. What are you looking for specifically? There's basics you need for each implement, such as full thickness walls on certain pots (rather than the separate bottom piece) and metal types and constructions on knives.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
IMG_2043.jpg

Weekend schedule: Jeannie will make a lot of cookies and my task for tonights dinner is a casserole from brussels sprouts, potatoes and ham. stay tuned.

le-seb

Cooked a bit today...

Lasagna alla Bolognese:
2zLl4HB64VXEyMBQZKD_ADAn7bDZDJcOpqBSb2wuMxfxyfTrXtSTk89aF7wlAwxKiyLOwUxksw=w949-h939-no

Turned out great.

Tiramisù:
_7pmugx4xEQeM1Ug5lXSusHNsFgIlpwsU1Zfg5WmwCb5FdTN4kw6qQ1tS44OBRY7XpKHVNVQSQ=w1922-h755-no

My dish was a bit too small, so it didn't look very sexy, but it's damn good.

Chili con carne (work in progress):
MPqBvw_63h_ArUlg370wnoGHOADUFOjMZzVb1EPCgwtS6Fbl0BMADId8oTktKsbdcKiW35QgEg=w1325-h939-no

Around half of its cooking time.
Updated pics will follow.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So I used those sweet Black Friday deals to get myself one of those AmazonBasics knife sets to replace my current, crappy kitchen knives, which are not only dull, but super busted to the point of messing my meats. Should arrive today. I'm also totally not using that block; I like to keep my knives in proper drawers.

I mean, I can't go wrong for €38, can I?

On that account, I'm looking to make some extra purchases for Christmas. I was hoping to get a vacuum sealer for my sister, plus a cast iron pot for me. Is anybody familiar with the Foodsaver V2860-I?

I'm also interested in Garhe's compact vacuum sealer, which is much simpler and considerably cheaper.

As for the cast iron pot, does anybody have any experience with Arc's Quid line? They are some kind of LeCreuset lookalikes, but with one major difference: whereas a proper ~6L LeCreuset goes for over €200, Quid's cost €50, so it's more or less comparable to Ikea's Senior line (but with better looks.)

Cheers.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there a recommended cookware brand to buy stuff? I got some Le Creuset stuff but after they screwed me out of money and refuse to do anything to fix it, I'd like to avoid them.

I got this 12-piece set of Cuisinart tri-clad stainless steel cookware about a year and a half ago and have really liked it. It's like a cheaper version of All Clad, which was WAYYY out of my budget. Full triple cladding up the sides of the cookware and not just on the bottom like the cheaper stuff. I paid about $80 more than the current list price and thought it was a good value.

Is anybody familiar with the Foodsaver V2860-I?

Not this specific model, but I got the V2244 a couple months ago and it has been great. I assume the fancier one you're looking at would be even better.

As for the cast iron, we apparently don't have that Quid brand in the states.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Amazon's knives arrived. They are indeed basic. Steel polish is kinda meh and the handles are a bit scratched/uneven, but it's not like you can expect Wusthof quality at that price. They do come sharp, though, so there's that. I'm not very impressed by their looks, but knives are utilitarian things and I store mine in a drawer anyway.

Re: Steel Cookware.

Just buy something that is both cheap and feels good in your hands. All my pots are fairly run of the mill and I love them. I honestly don't see the point buying expensive pots for daily usage. Just make sure that the handles are nicely welded so they'll last.

Frying pans are a whole different history, though. Buy quality ones, specially if you use induction.

Amazon's knives arrived. They are indeed basic. Steel polish is kinda meh and the handles are a bit scratched/uneven, but it's not like you can expect Wusthof quality at that price. They do come sharp, though, so there's that. I'm not very impressed by their looks, but knives are utilitarian things and I store mine in a drawer anyway.

Re: Steel Cookware.

Just buy something that is both cheap and feels good in your hands. All my pots are fairly run of the mill and I love them. I honestly don't see the point buying expensive pots for daily usage. Just make sure that the handles are nicely welded so they'll last.

Frying pans are a whole different history, though. Buy quality ones, specially if you use induction.

Suggestions for quality frying pans?

Have four All-Clad skillets myself, have used various lower-end bits, and a semi-nice Calphalon anodized Al set, see no point in buying anything but All-Clad given performance and quality (lower-end pieces would fall apart, anodized Al doesn't cook or clean as nicely, and the finish would rub off, although it's still pretty durable).

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I have a few Demeyere Atlantis Proline (large and medium skillet, medium saucier, large saute pan) and some Scanpan (large and small non-stick, large saucier).

Zyzyxxz

Forgot to post a thanksgiving pic! I only made dessert this year.

I made a pie (with the assistance of Horse Detective) !

Dulcey coffee mousse, graham crust, toasted sugar spiced meringue on top :}

damn that looks nice!

Recently had a photoshoot with a food blogger that has a huge following, too bad the roasted chicken came out too dark.

15232230_10103307588657674_2142497200171671116_n.jpg

Nikodemos

I've just discovered some allspice berries in the back of the cupboard that must've been pilfered from Tutankhamun's personal stash. I ate 7 of them and only 3 registered any flavour (mostly faint clove and a hint of pepper).

I don't like throwing spices away if they're not rotten/moudly/wormy but to use these I need to increase amounts by an order of magnitude compared to specified.

Also, what dishes are dried limes supposed to be used in? I crushed up a small one and added it to some green tomato relish (which eventually turned out more like curry since I leaned a bit too heavily on the spices) and it's nice, but I'm mostly drawing blanks.

Maiar_m

I've started trialing this year's Christmas dessert :

s1NYA2S.png

Right now it's a chocolate genoise base with a thin layer of milk chocolate and toasted almonds ganache on top, covered in a chestnut bavaroise mousse and sprinkled with meringues. A later version had bits of candied chestnuts as well, which were nice.

It's a nice plan A, but I think I need to push myself a bit more and find a more exciting plan B.

Finally bit the bullet and bought myself a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.

mVL2A8Y.jpg

I adore this color, it's called Blue Steel, no Zoolander jokes please.

Maiar_m

Every so often, Kitchenaid on their own account on Ebay sells these Factory Refurbished units at a deep discount, and usually in a huge selection of colors.

Holy hell. I need to keep my eyes peeled. Although being in France probably mean the delivery fee would nullify the discount.

zbarron

Cheesecake seems to be the first thing on my list.

Got to love those factory refurbs Kitchenaid sells themselves on eBay. Entire thing was only 170$.
Cheesecake sounds amazing.

That's how I get mine a year or two ago. I think I paid $175. It's a 4.5QT Bowl Lift model.

thespot84

used is also a good way to go for the mixers if you know that you're getting one with metal innards. You can service/relubricate yourself and they'll last forever.

Lilith

I'd like to make a Pan Pizza.
Anyone with a nice recipe?
Besides Pizza Hut, I've never eaten a Pan Pizza in Germany, so I'm pretty clueless about how to make it (well, yeah, I do understand the pan part ;)
How do I get the pizza so crusty and aromatic?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody! Keep it coming!

The wife and I went to my hometown Bonn yesterday to pay a visit to my parents. On our way home, we dined at the greek restaurant next to our old flat.
After having visited and sampled about a hundred greek restaurants over the last 8 years since we moved to cologne and I was head of the DEHOGA in our region, this humble place in a suburb is still the best tasting restaurant of greek cuisine that I had the pleasure of eating at. The chef even recognized us after all the years :)

Food was a mixed grill for me (Bifteki, Souvlaki and Gyros with a side of panfried potatoes and "brogle", the wife had a panfried Feta cheese in beer batter. Sorry for the flash pic.

55140F15-86AF-457C-B0B7-69E60559C097.jpg

D2948F13-ECAD-4818-8595-94D732A3434A.jpg

Top Bottom