• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Easy_G

The parcels are filled with the juice from the cooked pork, and there's a lot so it's like having spoonfuls of ginger pork 'soup', but I wanted more of an accompaniment so I made a simple carrot-ginger broth to drink with them.

Thanks! I was really surprised at how well they came out. They actually tasted like the ones I've had in restaurants. I need to roll my dough thinner (really hard to get right when you're using a coffee mug for a pin) and tweak the filling for more juice, but yeah, totally recommend giving them a go if you're hankering for some dumplings. If you do and you use oyster sauce, tell me how it goes. I had to omit that from mine because I found a worm in the bottle...

Were you following a particular recipe or are most recipes for these similar? I'd really like to try and I believe I do have oyster sauce.

Nothing more adorable than the Le Creuset dutch oven magnets they sell.

cwHDJHy.jpg

I just tried the magic eraser and it did absolutely nothing. Almost seems like the discoloring is under the enamel.
As long as it doesn't affect the cooking, it'll be fine. No one will know when you're serving food in it. And you'll probably store it with the lid on. Just enjoy the great deal you got on it.

snacknuts

we all knew her
As long as it doesn't affect the cooking, it'll be fine. No one will know when you're serving food in it. And you'll probably store it with the lid on. Just enjoy the great deal you got on it.
This. If you're unhappy with it, Zaraki, I'll gladly buy it at your cost. 🙂

For Father's Day I impose the tyranny of everyone has to let me cook breakfast for them. So last night I made English muffins so I could make sublime sandwiches this morning.

Waiting to be browned in the pan:

english-muffins-2.jpg

Browning each side, bottom more than top:

english-muffins-1.jpg

Out of the oven after baking:

english-muffins-3.jpg

Split, can see I didn't get quite the holes I hoped for. I think this was because I was too aggressive about flattening during the browning to avoid doming:

english-muffins-4.jpg

Final sammich:

english-muffins-5.jpg

Pretty happy about how the taste, texture, and visuals turned out (cornmeal, browning, etc.), just need to perfect the density.

Wife made Shengjianbao today, or Nikuman but with a crispy bottom. I love 'em. So good.
Thanks to H.Protagonist. Your post reminded me that I'd really like to eat them again :D

I forgot to congratulate her on how awesome those look, too, and yours look yummy also. It occurred to me as I was shaping the English muffin rolls that they'd make great dough for pork^H^H^H^H tofu buns.

Were you following a particular recipe or are most recipes for these similar? I'd really like to try and I believe I do have oyster sauce.

Sorry for the late reply, E! I used this recipe: Xiao Long Bao

I did not, however, do the meat jelly section because I didn't have the ingredients or patience to wait all that extra time for my dumplings. ^_^; I simply added a little bit more spring onion water and a fair amount more of the chopped spring onions into the pork mixture to create an extra saucy filling. I didn't find that it affected them negatively at all. They were still really, really good.

Wife made Shengjianbao today, or Nikuman but with a crispy bottom. I love 'em. So good.
Thanks to H.Protagonist. Your post reminded me that I'd really like to eat them again :D

ruLroWW.jpg

I'm...drooling. Those look incredible, and that crispy chewy bottom just cries out to be eaten! I may have to do that this week even though it's been non-stop Asian in this house for days. Recipe?! :D

For Father's Day I impose the tyranny of everyone has to let me cook breakfast for them. So last night I made English muffins so I could make sublime sandwiches this morning.

Final sammich:

english-muffins-5.jpg

Pretty happy about how the taste, texture, and visuals turned out (cornmeal, browning, etc.), just need to perfect the density.

Haha. Lucky family! Shouldn't you have had the day off? I love the step-by-step process pictures. The pan browning looks especially glorious. Are they hard to make or just a little time consuming? I'd love to try my hand at these too. I adore English muffins, but the store versions here are just so mealy and without body. I'll try stuffing them with pork too!

Haha. Lucky family! Shouldn't you have had the day off? I love the step-by-step process pictures. The pan browning looks especially glorious. Are they hard to make or just a little time consuming? I'd love to try my hand at these too. I adore English muffins, but the store versions here are just so mealy and without body. I'll try stuffing them with pork too!

I find cooking pretty relaxing and low latency of feedback, plus I love breakfast, so I like doing the whole kit and caboodle. They're not hard to make although if you don't work with dough a lot that may be awkward to people. I hand knead everything, so ~15 minute hand knead, ~75 minute rise, cut and shape and then another ~45 minute rise, then browning in cooking of batches of four, which took maybe 25 minutes, then 20 minutes to cool.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Your muffins look great, Briar! I make around 3,000 every week at work, and it's always nice to see somebody try their hand at doing them at home. Absolutely one of the more underrated breakfast items.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Great stuff, everybody!

I operated the Grill this weekend for the annual family fest. Since the SausageVan wasn't available this year, I had to resort to two household-sized grills for catering the 50-ish guests. The magical apron helped a lot. We did about 10 Kilograms of pork steaks and chicken breasts each, as well as about 50 sausages. The highlight of the evening was a cucumberdile that one of the guests brought with them.

zbarron

Sorry to hear about the sausagevan. I remember it from last year. Looking good though.

Everything on this page looks so tasty.

Tonight I cooked a 1.5lb double bone tomahawk porkchop. It was about 3 inches thick. I first cooked it indirectly on the grill with a bit of hickory wood chunks until it reached 140*F then rested while I set up the fire.
35247533022_146f804d6c_b.jpg

I seared it over firewood and also cooked some sliced zucchini in a disposable pie tin with olive oil and some italian spice blend.
35374685316_1e35266e8b_b.jpg

I drizzled on some homemade honey mustard sauce and served with a baked sweet potato.

After dinner the fire still had a bit of heat so my older son and I toasted some marshmallows and made s'mores. Good summer meal.

Another page full of delishious looking foods! Got this from my sister for christmas,really tasty stuff. Its normally used for cheese and crackers plates but I wanna try n cook with it,any ideas?
Code:
[IMG]http://www.hickoryfarms.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Web-Master-Catalog/default/dw6cedbe38/images/products/Hickory-Farms-Simply-Hot-Pepper-Bacon-Jam-2-Pack-003713.jpg[/IMG]

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Another page full of delishious looking foods! Got this from my sister for christmas,really tasty stuff. Its normally used for cheese and crackers plates but I wanna try n cook with it,any ideas?
Code:
[IMG]http://www.hickoryfarms.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-Web-Master-Catalog/default/dw6cedbe38/images/products/Hickory-Farms-Simply-Hot-Pepper-Bacon-Jam-2-Pack-003713.jpg[/IMG]

I can see that being a nice condiment for beef sliders.

It was a busy day;

Made some garlic dill pickles.

ZtpAlgL.jpg

Then tried my hand at making pineapple cream cheese lumpia.

xLv0hhw.jpg

S6njNSx.jpg

Made the lumpia from the recipe Disney published for the ones they sell inside Pandora at Disney's Animal Kingdom. Can't wait till September when I get to try them for myself.

I love Disney recipes. I love the Cheddar Cheese soup from Canada and the spinach and artichoke dip on their blog site. I'll also use it and substitute the spinach and artichoke for other things like a spicy chicken dip. It makes a whole lot to go around.

I love Disney recipes. I love the Cheddar Cheese soup from Canada and the spinach and artichoke dip on their blog site. I'll also use it and substitute the spinach and artichoke for other things like a spicy chicken dip. It makes a whole lot to go around.

I'll give you a tip.

If you make the Canadian Cheddar and Beer Soup from Canada, use the leftovers as a base to make the most rich and delicious macaroni and cheese the next day.

What does everybody here use to flavor shrimp? Grilled,fried,pan fried,do you marinate? I can never get em to taste as good as resturants. Grilling some tonight along with some steaks.

zbarron

What does everybody here use to flavor shrimp? Grilled,fried,pan fried,do you marinate? I can never get em to taste as good as resturants. Grilling some tonight along with some steaks.

I almost always cook shrimp this way.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/shrimp-scampi-butter-garlic-recipe.html
You could probably grill them and then toss them in this sauce, or if you want less work you could probably marinate them in a vinaigrette with similar ingredients.

For dinner grilled steaks,shrimp,corn and baked potatoes

sKWmxnGl.jpg

I almost always cook shrimp this way.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/shrimp-scampi-butter-garlic-recipe.html
You could probably grill them and then toss them in this sauce, or if you want less work you could probably marinate them in a vinaigrette with similar ingredients.

Thanks gonna give that recepie a try actually looks tasty. Tonight for the shrimp I salted them and let them sit and right before i threw em on the grill I basted them with a melted butter with citrus and creole seasonings,came out great.

For kitchenaid mixers, does it matter if you get one with a glass bowl or a stainless steel bowl? I kind of want the glass one because the sound of scrapping metal drives me insane but curious if one is better to have than the other for mixing.

For kitchenaid mixers, does it matter if you get one with a glass bowl or a stainless steel bowl? I kind of want the glass one because the sound of scrapping metal drives me insane but curious if one is better to have than the other for mixing.

We liked the glass look better and got a good deal on one so we went with that. Those models are usually more expensive but if you wait until Christmas time Dillards sell em for $200 instead of the 350-400. As far as which is better, they perform the same. You can always buy either bowl seperately too.

Zyzyxxz

Not a fan of glass and potential to shatter but I work in a restaurant so I'm using to stainless steel scraping.

le-seb

Simply panned with a bit of olive oil and garlic, and finally deglazing with some Pastis.
Simply great.

I use both kinds of mixing bowls for hand stuff, and both have their advantages. As for the stand mixer, I have stainless bowls, but there shouldn't be any scraping of the mixers. They should hover over the bowls.

I find glass cleans the easiest, and it's nice to have a heavy solid bowl that won't slide all over the place, but stainless is nice and light. It works better for pouring out the mixes and handling the bowl with one hand and a spatula in the other.

Making Art Smith's Moonshine Cake

yjV0vzl.jpg

It smells amazing, just need to let it sit out overnight to absorb the boozy syrup.

QBkRLIT.jpg

Was shocked it actually came out of the pan in one piece. Tomorrow I'll make a simple glaze to pour over the top, because a Moonshine and Rum cake isn't sweet enough.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Dear fellow IronGAFfers,

I have got a huge problem: Photobucket seems to have changed the TOS, thus disabling all hotlinking of pictures past and present unless I pay like 399USD per year for their new plan. I am not willing to pay such an amount.

Does anybody have an idea on an alternative hosting sevice and how to fix the image links here?

Your help would be appreciated.

zbarron

Dear fellow IronGAFfers,

I have got a huge problem: Photobucket seems to have changed the TOS, thus disabling all hotlinking of pictures past and present unless I pay like 399USD per year for their new plan. I am not willing to pay such an amount.

Does anybody have an idea on an alternative hosting sevice and how to fix the image links here?

I use http://abload.de/ for one offs https://www.flickr.com/ for images I want to save long term. You need to create an account for Flickr, but it's all free.

As for how to fix the previous ones, I really don't know besides editing them one by one.

ZjQbgbs.jpg

The Moonshine Cake came out amazing! Man this thing really soaked up that boozy syrup. Also put 1/2oz of Pineapple Rum into the whipped cream.

Dear fellow IronGAFfers,

Why do you have to pay so much? I just use their free version and my pictures are still up.

thespot84

Flickr is better for BB posting, google photos is better for just general library management (it's pretty incredible, easily google's best product).

$400 to access your old pictures honestly sounds like extortion.

Top Bottom