• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

le-seb

Navarin d'agneau
1UawVZzgo1ST1hqhXBukToa-R8oethhx0UhmWMAaFBzUIyCd5VqBjlkTR51bh5P06rODyKtWXHJJqN8h1gU_oikyLyrITQqAWiL0cuo-P0zjvZ74Kdp9DXBg-m4guVZ2ZA-j9C4TOI4hVOLvKAar5o299gxcMYm0iug5Tr6G91eS6W_NAMBqUXSBX4pX10efVmQORpSiv5K-vEhhbVYyOdLJmR2nV8jN8JgcwnXIlm7xZclA9KchUOzFA0iKYYWU9Eout7IoOOFxKsTUS4f44QMCcgj1XfPD5fI_9kWaWvYNhiTlOzqypgRLHvPSq8BWlxXcq0WP3zg-B6Y5u2i1HlQJAAPHrHfk59feECchlfRmtKMY9Bk38tvZnPf1HAeadpD0bcLMVNaWCHOWFDQv_Cfe6FZ8PFVvuS7lT77iBnNk13rZdu9Rr5HOaM6JHDUvE1L82JVe339DyU35DuAo_gUcVVQutdgU4W2IIfY2zUusbrhQd_pI8VazzxFkBtf0X0gBoTTmGaxGDuKnBErMmEqadMi2_IMbLVGVPUBrk_TkSy_jkFj2FHbJDhga4aIEA3FhQzCNoYhPgMMD5NWk9Py7Tz8Er4VBzNQnF-jWn0LBtEnO4fMhtam6flUh4f6fba-fRtZ54gOetcY_oqNJN43JXoQzQ38RxfWzRTEWTg=w1679-h944-no

Fraises chantilly
gYyz87WY1HlSnDbr3l4hu_VlmOBSjDD1vtBf8qrWXUDb1c1EQeBjrAkAma9aN1C0ypU6L5Acx9owcgNyYrNmGYUlZFwEhl1NAQU9ungZHF1gk2F6eu7K6uCPtIkCuHK6CfkLrJRT8s6Jva9YMX8QI2QeU5nUWpvEbe_67O5y3VhA22jGkpR9QEz8rz7Vj3ej8Xk0fe2L4mNts6QNgYNZnCY96aFE_Hm-1ro1xqnlNp0dXDaMYtFWtJIqrvxam51UMDKNDCN-j6uQcRoOuLHqsj6Khn--eeGYTmozeLcBfgDtaMOlpF7rE8ZRZ78c-z5rWap31zbzi1okVop_fNa-2bUhRwlHhqo87na0RGXcMvQKTpg2x8xXUM271HzW-lSYaqgJI2f-ETq4mOOTgmLOiuxNmC_P16z8GW9EY7Pz3XEIBy1RydBtJeRuaMNZvZIfF-eYQavGjFdDYifk6sCteEDqqFoz_lxP6_tGjhwtfwE3pNpDqTFIrCAaSTDefb9U25rnjK-efztXq662MwEtY56O6blb4vEkGew7zJtFUs-Hr0Bi0CHmH90i-l4IuQoW5roMyt86l9do8gbl9srgPHC3gWovGYlbDaamIcyIYRxgSVULEOq3=w1125-h944-no

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Summer has arrived prematurely in this part of the world, so Grill it is. Made a few Burgers (repost, sorry) and Kebabs and Skewers for the season opening so far:

DDDF87D4-F516-4126-9AAC-139B56203E1D.jpg

AB0F74AA-D7D5-4C1A-BE25-A35787B8391E.jpg

2D0916BD-28F3-48AE-8850-4763A9462BB1.jpg

16A00E30-C8C7-467B-805B-1DE14E14C2BE.jpg

The wife made a delicious faux Vitello Tonnato with pork roast cold cuts instead of veal:
65E79C17-1892-4AEC-BDE2-63074BF5EFAE.jpg

92E3B8DB-1E67-4166-A005-F01E266EC3DE.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Finalized the paperwork to join dat lux hotel pastry kitchen life. Feels like I'm giving up part of my soul, but ehh, at my age I gotta have that big paycheck (and the opportunity to move around the country is nice too).

snacknuts

we all knew her
I know that 99% of the fine folks who frequent this thread are well aware of this, but I cannot overstate the importance of having sharp knives in your kitchen. I recently had a birthday and treated myself to this knife. Nothing overly fancy, but man oh man was it an upgrade from the cheap chef's knives I was using before. Absolute joy to use. When I bought that, I also ordered this sharpener, so I went through and sharpened my old knives. They're not as nice as the Tojiro, but they feel brand new. I get a little bit giddy about doing my knife work now (although I kind of did before, too, since I think it's fun).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I know that 99% of the fine folks who frequent this thread are well aware of this, but I cannot overstate the importance of having sharp knives in your kitchen. I recently had a birthday and treated myself to this knife. Nothing overly fancy, but man oh man was it an upgrade from the cheap chef's knives I was using before. Absolute joy to use. When I bought that, I also ordered this sharpener, so I went through and sharpened my old knives. They're not as nice as the Tojiro, but they feel brand new. I get a little bit giddy about doing my knife work now (although I kind of did before, too, since I think it's fun).

I sharpen after every use now. Easy habit to pick up. Makes a big difference. I use a steel. Shun knives.

zbarron

Yup, salt on top, we have some other not so pretty ones with sesame and what our rabbi calls 'crack' (Equal parts flour/sugar, add oil until lumpy). This was a 6-strander.

I see french toast in your future. Did you make them for a Shabbat dinner tonight?

Last one I made was a 4 strand. I need to make them smaller than last time. The outside got too dark before the inside was done.

Yesterday I got the Blackstone 17" portable outdoor griddle.
img_20170526_1508241ruzi.jpg

I gave it 3 coats of seasoning and last night made quesadillas on it. I use 8" tortillas and was able to fit four on it at a time instead of having to do them one by one in my 10" saute pan. So far I really love it but I haven't put it through it's paces yet.

thespot84

I see french toast in your future. Did you make them for a Shabbat dinner tonight?

Last one I made was a 4 strand. I need to make them smaller than last time. The outside got too dark before the inside was done.

Yesterday I got the Blackstone 17" portable outdoor griddle.
img_20170526_1508241ruzi.jpg

I gave it 3 coats of seasoning and last night made quesadillas on it. I use 8" tortillas and was able to fit four on it at a time instead of having to do them one by one in my 10" saute pan. So far I really love it but I haven't put it through it's paces yet.

Yes lots of french toast. That griddle would be great for it lol. I'm bouldering tonight during shabbat (bad jew) but we'll certainly have some.

zbarron

I made cheesesteak for dinner. It was steak, Worcestershire sauce, onion, and provolone in a toasted roll.

Not the greatest picture but the time between it plated and in my belly was too short.
img_20170526_190437wvu59.jpg

zbarron

a nice kosher meal for shabbat :p
Would you believe me if I lied and said it was Tofutti cheese?

I made coconut macaroons the other day and forgot to upload the picture.
34846210452_82a754c762_h.jpg

I finally got the chocolate perfectly tempered. I did the sous vide method. It helped that I didn't use chocolate chips this time.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Yum! Are pine nuts (what I've always seen them called in the states) as expensive in Europe as they are in the US?

Yup, 100 Grams are usually between 6-8 EUR.

Edit:
and "Pine Nut" is the correct english name for them, sorry for my mistranslation.

decided to break a 5 day fast with burgers, opted to try chef john's burger bun recipe and go for a 70% beef chuck 30% fatty pork copa blend. Since i'd never eaten it (and it aint available down here), did a smashburger variant too.
pretty happy with the results. Even though im a very big fan of medium rare meat, smashed burgers have a clear taste advantage. Will do again.

I'm now doing more cheese plates at work, which leads me to tinker around in the kitchen. The strawberries in the middle are stuffed with a Gorgonzola blend, topped with toasted pecans, finished with a balsamic vinegar syrup I cooked down last night.

It's strange going from simply consuming food to "styling" it. Rough adjustment if you don't have a background in food. Still, I love a challenge! :)

Zyzyxxz

I'm now doing more cheese plates at work, which leads me to tinker around in the kitchen. The strawberries in the middle are stuffed with a Gorgonzola blend, topped with toasted pecans, finished with a balsamic vinegar syrup I cooked down last night.

It's strange going from simply consuming food to "styling" it. Rough adjustment if you don't have a background in food. Still, I love a challenge! :)

What are the cheese cubes tied in?

Easy_G

It's been a long time since I posted here. It looks like everyone is still cooking awesome meals! I made pasta carbonara from scratch and was really happy with how it turned out. Each step is below.

I made burgers on the grill tonight.

I also made lamb burgers for a Hindu friend. Plus spiral zucchini, baked purple potatoes, and some chicken thighs. Everyone was stuffed.

Podge293

Anyone have any recommended rubs for pork shoulder?

Doing a long slow cook on one on Saturday on the BBQ so just looking for suggestions on the rub type to use.

Nordicus

Question from curiosity to the thread. Where you guys live, how likely or unlikely is it that your grocery store sells fresh herbs primarily potted?

Because I once saw someone (think it was an exchange student) point that out in a Finnish grocery store as being a bit weird. But for fresh herbs, it certainly is the way it's usually done over here, like this.
The small plastic pots are obscured behind the cardboard, but you get the gist.

zbarron

Question from curiosity to the thread. Where you guys live, how likely or unlikely is it that your grocery store sells fresh herbs primarily potted?

Because I once saw someone (think it was an exchange student) point that out in a Finnish grocery store as being a bit weird. But for fresh herbs, it certainly is the way it's usually done over here, like this.
I live in Ohio and they have these at most of the grocery stores near me. They're nice if you have a sunny spot in your window. Don't bother planting them in your garden though. The ones sold in my grocery store don't grow any further than they already have. If you have a garden or herb bed your best bet if to actually go to a gardening store. I always have chives outside since they grow like a weed (they technically are) and I use a ton with potatoes. Sometimes I'll have other things like basil and parsley.

That said these are still a much better deal than buying herbs that are already picked. With sun and water they'll last quite a while and I have a hard time going through a lot of fresh herbs in one week.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
For Germany, all supermarket chains including discount stores like Aldi and Lidl sell at least basil, chive, dill and parsley in pots. larger chains have a wider selection.

Easy_G

In California that isn't too common. At least you may get some potted herbs in the plant nursery section of a large grocery store, but mostly you get bunches of cut herbs.

In California that isn't too common. At least you may get some potted herbs in the plant nursery section of a large grocery store, but mostly you get bunches of cut herbs.
I'm in California too and find potted herbs at the stores. Grocery Outlet always has some, Safeway and Raley's, FoodMaxx, Save Mart. Not sure about Winco or some of the smaller Mexican stores. But Mexicans go to the flea markets anyways and they sell them there.

Cilantro is always sold in big bunches, but little plastic packs of rosemary, dill, basil, chives, thyme, and whatever else are sold in the produce department. Those things are expensive compared to the cost of buying a plant.

Easy_G

I'm in California too and find potted herbs at the stores. Grocery Outlet always has some, Safeway and Raley's, FoodMaxx, Save Mart. Not sure about Winco or some of the smaller Mexican stores. But Mexicans go to the flea markets anyways and they sell them there.

Cilantro is always sold in big bunches, but little plastic packs of rosemary, dill, basil, chives, thyme, and whatever else are sold in the produce department. Those things are expensive compared to the cost of buying a plant.

Man, I must be missing them somehow then. I usually only see bunches or those plastic packs. I'll take a closer look! I'm typically at Safeway, Whole Foods, or a local store near my house.

I would love buying them in pots. It absolutely kills me to buy them in bunches that I can't use quickly enough. I always cut and put them in water, but that only gives you a week of time.

We have both the packaged cut herbs and the tiny potted ones in Australia too. I find the health of the potted ones to be hit and miss - the coriander (cilantro) die by about 90% in a day or two, sometimes the basil takes and sometimes not.

They're only $0.50 more than the cut ones, so I buy the potted ones anyway, but they never work out as well as I imagine they will.

Man, I must be missing them somehow then. I usually only see bunches or those plastic packs. I'll take a closer look! I'm typically at Safeway, Whole Foods, or a local store near my house.

I would love buying them in pots. It absolutely kills me to buy them in bunches that I can't use quickly enough. I always cut and put them in water, but that only gives you a week of time.
Look down around the stands in the middle. Like where they have the apples, bananas, and sometimes at the ends of the refrigerator cases. They're usually not in big display set ups. Just kind of sprinkled around.

Check out the flea markets too. Many of the Asian growers have a wide selection of greens and herbs. Mexicans usually have fruits and cactus. The ones I know have cilantro, basil, dill, lemon grass, parsley, and some one else usually has fresh garlic. They sell stuff in large bunches for a dollar. I love getting produce from them, and it's so much cheaper than the grocery stores.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

in germany even the cheapest supermarkets like aldi got them all year.

this morning I watched Samurai Gourmet on Netflix. God that show makes one hungry.

So I made tonkotsu ramen with bok choy and tonkatsu
3Norbf9.jpg

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
New post because new Food (I hope our IronGAF mod can forgive me). >>

I tried an idea I got from a japanese recipe normally used for Sanma(pacific saury)
You clean the fish, I used trout, and dry it well with a paper towel.
then you spray sake on the skin, on both sides and salt well. I did not have a empty spray bottle so I used a kitchen brush to add the sake.

Now put your oven on top heat, 15 minutes on one side, 10 minutes on the other @ 200-230 degrees celsius.
After the first 10 minutes apply some more sake to the skin
done.

Top Bottom