• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else just faking it?

I cant really say the same outside of work but when I'm at work I am most definitely faking it, I hate my fracking job at times and hate the fact you need to put on such a buddy buddy act with most of the accounts/store owners/managers feels like it's slowly eating me from the inside out.

Now a few years into my 40s, having done pretty much all I want to do with my life, I just kinda don't care any more. I've been all around the world, I've started businesses, I've gotten degrees, I've written/performed music, dated amazing women - and I guess I expected to be a family man by now - not necessarily wanting to be one, just expecting.

I feel this to some degree, too. I've succeeded in my career, pretty much at the highest you could expect to go, and I can see the "next" step but I'm not interested in the trade-off required. Part of me believes that the next level of success there is actually the product of psychosis, that we in some sense should pity those who feel compelled to undermine a rational view of life and happiness in order to chase 'success'. But I digress...

You may be right that the family element is what's different. For me I still have enormous time pressure between career, children, the non-profit I help steer, etc. There is simply no time to become bored with the things I most want to spend my time doing, and that distance keeps things from sliding. On the other hand I feel like you've also settled to some extent, "but I've done it all before"; "all" is a large space, and maybe you're not stepping out of your comfort zone. Not that that means something like stupid bucket list bullshit, but maybe some radical other transformation. Me, I'd probably take a low paying job in some advocacy focused group and learn the ropes of policy and try my hand at politics. But that's me. If I had skipped a family I'd probably be sitting sesshin somewhere, maybe? Lots of options when you have no responsibilities to spouse and children!

The Kree

Banned
This thread reminds me of an experience I had a long time ago.

One time I had a job that was boring and unchallenging. I asked my boss if there was another position I could move to that would give me something different or something more to do. I wasn't looking to move up, wasn't asking for more money, I just wanted to not feel stagnant. She told me there wasn't anything there for me because I didn't have a bachelors degree. I wasn't accredited enough to justify being passionate about work.

That didn't feel good.

Air

Banned
Nah. I've always been the type to wear my heart on my sleeve. You're not really living if you can't be yourself, so I figure what can I get from faking it that I can't get from just being true to myself.

It's worked out so far

Regiruler

In my head, everyone who isn't rich or very wealthy is faking it. How could anyone be truly happy being just another cog in the corporate wheel? Life is awful.

You can find enjoyment in things other than wealth you know. You should try it.
But money doesn't buy happiness, right?

I always call bullshit on that statement. If I were rich or won a 300 million dollar lotto tomorrow my happiness would go from 10% to 200% overnight. Everything I currently worry about and stress over is due to money. All my issues would literally disappear if I were rich.

Have a nice home paid off
Have a nice car paid off
Never have to work and can do whatever the fuck I want
Buy whatever clothes you want
Eat great food whenever
Date hotter women
Travel the world
Never have to worry about healthcare or retirement plans
If you or a loved one gets sick you have the funds to get the best doctors in the world

How the fuck could you not be happy?

Happiness is, in fact, relative.

digdug2k

I'm pretty content, but people always tell me I look like I'm about to bust down crying. So enjoy your ability to fake it.

MastAndo

Yeah, I feel that way. I'm in my mid-30's, and the description someone used earlier is accurate - I am minimizing failure. I'm single, no desire for a wife and kids (I would worry too much and it would rattle my comfy world of complacency). Big decisions scare me to death, so I don't make any. I'm not depressed, nor do I even feel unhappy. I'm just kind of...sleepwalking. I have no burning passion for anything, though I dabble in most everything here and there. I get paid pretty well, do the minimum amount of work to sustain said job, and just save money living in an apartment I'm not exactly proud of, because the rent is low and the location is absolutely perfect when it comes to being near work transportation, friends and family. I go look at places all the time, but I know that's in vain - it will take the hand of God to move me out of here as rent is nearly double everywhere else I've looked. I'm faking the desire to better myself in this way, and I'm also scared to "stir the pot" by making a bad financial investment. I'm sitting on savings that I have no idea what to do with, nor any desire to do anything it.

My friendships are pretty genuine however, minus one of my close friends that I kind of have an on the surface relationship with that I believe he perceives to be deeper, but that's another story. I do have a handful of close friends that I hang out with a few times a week, and have a blast with. Their company and conversation is something I genuinely enjoy, albeit it is usually in a context I like (some dive bar playing darts/pool, or playing video games having a few beers).

My romantic life is bit of a farce. My looks are going to shit, and clearly I'm dying inside a bit, but I guess I have some appeal since I'm doing better than I ever have with women. Go figure. I'm in my ideal romantic situation at the moment- it's a pseudo-relationship that allows me to do what I want most of the time, since that's all I'm offering. There's a false sense of the possibility of developing something with substance. We both know it's going nowhere, but like each other, so we keep it going. It's all a lie, and I'm OK with it.

My past long term (i.e. meaningful) relationships had all lost their luster after a short time, so I faked interest in being there...years later, she will have caught on and wanted to end things, much to my relief. I'm not looking to repeat that. Quite frankly, I can't see myself in a full-time "meaningful" romantic relationship ever again. I can't fake that much any more.

Everyone who knows me (mostly) sees me as this happy-go-lucky guy with his shit together, but I do feel stuck in the mud about it all. I don't know what the end game is....I suppose I just feel like the mud isn't so bad.

Astral Dog

I feel like i need to say a bunch of @$#4% sometimes but always have to force a smile and shut up. Wonder if life is like this for everyone or im just a piece of shit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I feel like i need to say a bunch of @$#4% sometimes but always have to force a smile and shut up. Wonder if life is like this for everyone or im just a piece of shit.

Everyday lol

Silence can be stronger than words sometimes.

Edit: ^That ones for you lurkers ;)

daffy

Banned
Love is the only real thing the world can give you. Whether you love yourself or your friends & family, significant other.

Just love something OP. A living, breathing something. You can watch yourselves grow together.

Anteater

i don't need to fake it and everyone thinks i'm a capable happy person, honestly unless you act incredibly negative it probably doesn't matter, people project a lot just like we all do, thinking everyone is happy with their lives

I feel like I am sometimes, and the more times gone on, the less I care about certain things. Unfortunately I'm in no position to get help. Most days I just try to keep my chin up; I have goals and desires, but they feel unachievable more often than they should.

At any rate, find the right support, OP and everyone else, if you need it. If you can't find a commiserating shoulder, see a professional—see multiple professionals if you have to.

541ed0267f38532d4c3e9495218e64e5.jpg

Astral Dog

I always call bullshit on that statement. If I were rich or won a 300 million dollar lotto tomorrow my happiness would go from 10% to 200% overnight. Everything I currently worry about and stress over is due to money. All my issues would literally disappear if I were rich.

Have a nice car paid off
Eat great food whenever
Date hotter women
Travel the world
If you or a loved one gets sick you have the funds to get the best doctors in the world

Easy,other people and yourself bring you down to miserable status and then you realize you are still you in the end.trying but not getting there and everything seems fake as hell.

Of course if youwere already happy but now have money? =moar happiness $.$

AlexBasch

I work at a newspaper and used to get stressed, since I worked really hard to improve and get better at it.

Then my editor pretty much said that I and the rest of my closest coworkers pretty much just sit in our asses and do a shitty job just waiting for th paycheck.

Decided to actually do that, and use the money towards a goal I might actually enjoy. I just fake being interested at working there, I do shit for them and I get paid, I don't even give a fuck about that job and I'm leaving it in the next couple of months.

NBtoaster

I've been very complacent hiding what I really feel and just engrossing myself in video games and other petty junk. But recently I've gotten real inspiration to try to make changes; to take more risks and be more comfortable expressing myself. I want to grasp what life has to offer while I'm still young.

bosseye

Learn to find pleasure in small things. There is a temptation to believe that only grand or exciting pastimes are of worth, but it's the everyday simple stuff that makes life worthwhile.

I get happy eating a tasty breakfast. Maybe I'm simple minded, ha.

I will also say that 'Most Friendliest Male' is terrible grammar.

Once a week I drive down to the ocean and stand on a rock overlooking the waves. The wind pummels my face and body with an infinite supply of salty, stinging sea air, the colder the better. I spread my arms like a child pretending to fly and I close my eyes. And I am flying. Manipulating my arms and hands like sails to keep me airborne, exhilarated and assured and full of hope. I don't know where I will be, or who I will be, when I open my eyes. But it won't be this world, and it won't be me.

MogCakes

Life isn't going to be absolutely amazing all the time. There will be a lot of neutral among the good and bad. Also, it sounds like you haven't found something you actually care about yet.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Have a nice car paid off
Eat great food whenever
Date hotter women
Travel the world

Then why do you have a relatively high suicide rate/depression among the rich folks?

Money doesn't buy you happiness at all.

That said, you really have to distinguish between short term happiness and long terms happiness. Money only buys you first (woa, new car and shit, amazing) but that fades and you'll just end up casing something else after it (ok, new car is great but what can I buy next?). It does not give you true happiness. Like say, you just take a walk in the woods and are contempt and happy with your life. That is true happiness and money alone cannot give you that.

I would only argue that you need a certain amount of money to give you enough security. Meaning, you have enough dough to pay your bills and buy food. But that ain't that much.

Yes. I know what you mean. But at some point i couldn't do it anymore. I discovered that the future became scary to me. None of the studies and professions i was working towards appealed to me. I actually had no idea what i wanted to do for a job (for maybe the rest of my life). So i lost all interest in school, stopped attending and didn't even show up for my finals. Mind you, everything was going fine for 4 of the 6 years (it's the highest education available in my country) and the future was looking bright in terms of future jobs, in the traditional successtory kind of way (feels like imprisonment to me). Struggled trough the last two years but completely lost motivation in the last year. I discovered drugs and liked that way more than school. Sounds like a nightmare for any parent. But for me, it was liberating as fuck. It opened me up creatively. Made me more aware of what i wanted and not just what society wanted from me.

It was just not what i wanted at all. The only thing i really liked doing was drawing. And i took an incredible gamble and did an admission test for art-school. That's when i started my own life. And i have been doing that ever since. I became an illustrator and graphic designer.

I think many kids in highschool have no real idea what they want to do with the rest of their life. They go for the highest available education and hope they find their personal path before school ends. Most don't. So they pick a study that provides the best opportunities for a future in the typical cliché idea of what a successful life should be.
It's a bit of a factory, when you think of it...

McLovin

Yep, I hope changing my job might alleviate it a little. Ever since my mom died I feel empty, just a hollow person pretending to be normal.

Relatable af. Only difference is that I did A - B level in school. And instead of getting disciplined for being emotional as a child, I got laughed at by my family. So yup, I fake it. I'm content, I don't show stress, I just "Good! How about you?"

Top Bottom