• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone upset that there is hardly any focus on Motion Controls?

RayMaker

Banned
Yes, I never owned any , and thought this gen would see them blossom in a way all gamers can appreciate.

I hate the term gimmick, because you could call everything in gaming a gimmick, if you really think about it.

HegeMon

Neo Member
But on the other hand 1:1 controls require a lot more effort from the player than just holding a gamepad, or Wiimote. I actually think the Wiimote + Nunchuck hit the sweet spot with being able to play lazily lying on the sofa with minimal movement and effort, and still having accurate controls. Of course accuracy can always be improved, and having better sensors would be brilliant...

If you're already willing to swivel around in an office chair with your Oculus Rift, surely you'd expect the controller to function as a pointer ... ? In fact, I was reading somewhere (can't remember where) that one of the E3 Oculus demos was weird because it was a mashup of VR with traditional DA. I feel like if you want Oculus to succeed, you need a simple, basic pointer that's already built in to the controller. Seems cheap and trivial, but no one did it. (Well, except Nintendo, I guess, but the Wii U probably isn't powerful enough for the Rift.)

Ranger X

No.
Also, its not the futur, it was a gimmick and it will stay there as a second thought, just like rumble and cameras.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
No, but I will say that the pointer controls were awesome and still something I prefer for shooters over dual analog.

Blizzard

Banned
I own a Wii, I bought a Hydra on PC (and I don't think the technology is quite ready yet, kind of laggy and inaccurate though maybe my PC setup has interference or something). I also have a Rift preordered.

That said, I prefer having a non-motion-control option in virtually every game. I liked Metroid Prime 3 but I would have probably liked LESS motion control in that game if anything. I'm really glad motion controls seem to have taken a low profile again.

Nope.

I enjoyed the Wii for about a week and then loathed the motion control in nearly everything (Mario Galaxy etc). They were a stain on brilliant games.

That said, I enjoyed Gunstringer on Kinect - and my wife and I enjoy using Kinect for fitness/exercise. However I'll hold on to my 360 and that one fitness game and quite easily never purchase a motion control title ever again.

Slizeezyc

tumblr_me4tq8lNWr1qdr6nio1_250.gif

LuchaShaq

Banned
No I thought skyward sword was the worst Zelda game that I've ever played.

Also can count on one hand the number of times the wiimote/kinect/move were even clever let alone better than a regular controller.

I am. While I don't think they should be standard they worked amazing in quite a few titles. It had a strong part to play in some of my favorite games of all time. Playing No More Heroes and swinging to finish of an enemy was great. As was using the Wii Remote as a flashlight to explore the abandoned world in Fragile Dreams. I couldn't imagine playing either games without the Wii Remote and even tried in NMH 2 with the classic controller.

Other favorites were Shattered Memories, Boom Blox, Crystal Bearers, Mario Galaxies, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Zack and Wiki, Sin and Punishment 2, Zelda and other games I couldn't list.

I hope Nintendo continues to support it. It wasn't the best for fighters, RPG's, driving or action games but it worked great in other genres. It was also extremely comfortable to hold and I often played games that had support for gamepads with the Wii remote and nunchuk combination.

LCfiner

Nope.

I started playing some Wii games again and remembered how much I disliked pointer controls and waggling.

Super early on in Mario galaxy 2, I get Yoshi and I hate having to aim for his attacks.

Shit's just not for me and I'm glad it's not a focus anymore.

Flakster99

I'm disappointed. There were a lot of games that made use the Wii mote and nun-chuck to such a high degree that I will miss it. It felt like a natural extension to point and click type game play elements, made playing such games challenging and fun.

Shame Nintendo's focus went elsewhere {tablet like controller}.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm very disappointed myself. I loved the Wii Remote and hoped Nintendo's next system would have an improved version of that style. Instead we got the Gamepad... >>;

Proven

The worst part is that now I'm sure Nintendo won't use the tablet all that well either. It will be a glorified HUD screen like a lot of 3DS games turned into, or be made the focus of the game instead of being a simple asset.

JordanN

Banned
It only made sense for Skyward Sword and Wii Sports and even then there were some controls that would have been better off as traditional (i.e swimming and flying).

Eusis

Sort of actually. I'd love to see REAL good use for the Wii Remote and Move pushed, and even the new Kinect might actually be useful for more sophisticated designs, though it's not a big deal and I feel like Skyward Sword WAS something of the true test for motion controls yet it still came out somewhat lacking.

I'm very disappointed myself. I loved the Wii Remote and hoped Nintendo's next system would have an improved version of that style. Instead we got the Gamepad... >>;
They probably would have been better off introducing, improving, introducing, improving... I think that's actually how they worked before Wii U for consoles. Basically like intel's Tick Tock actually.

The only thing I would really be disappointed by is no WiiMote Metroid Primes on WiiU, though that tablet controller could present other cool mechanics that ease the pain.

I would probably be fine if they just updated the trilogy for the WiiU with options for both WiiMote as well as the tablet controller.

Broken Logic

Neo Member
I'd be sad if it left. It has so much room to grow. The stuff up until now have only been simple forays into the realm of motion control, with a few underestimated leaps that showed that it needed more than just a quick and dirty switch. And comparing the old to the stuff in Nintendo land, I'd say it has been improving. The gamepad can still be a great motion control tool, similar to how the oculus rift is working out with head turning. Using the gamepad in the zelda nintendo land attraction was great for me. I'd love to see a game where you control the body with the control sticks, and have the gamepad present a view from the head while the tv presents a third person view of the character.

DSix

Banned
Well, I can't say I'm sad it's gone for this gen, yet I am disappointed it's gone.

Because, while motion control was never done perfectly (SS was a disaster to me), I still think it has great potential for sword and gun based games. The tech just needed to be perfect before committing to it too early.
We never fully saw what the PSMove was capable of, and it's a bit of a shame, given how much more precise it was.

Top Bottom