• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone upset that there is hardly any focus on Motion Controls?

I would like to start this off by saying yes, we know that all games don't benefit from motion controls. However that said there are many that do. While I admit that about a year ago people would be shaking their heads (and maybe even now) because much of the focus with controls were mediocre casual games, I feel that it misses a big point. When done right motion controls can completely revolutionize the gaming experience. Here are some examples.

legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-e3-2011-3.jpg

Skyward Sword is a perfect example. The motion controls added so much to the game. For the first time since, well ever, I felt like I was really swordwielding in a video game. Every movement I made with the sword seemed to matter. There were so many ways to attack enemies and if you attack them the wrong way there would be repercussions. It added a completely new element to the game that I very much appreciated.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-screenshot-2.jpg

Metroid Prime 3 is another example. The first person controls delivered with precise aiming and immersion to make it feel as if you really are out there controlling Samus's beam cannon. It really just shits all out on dual analog.

ssx.jpg

SSX Blur is the final example I will use. The interesting part with this game is that the part that sells it is not the Wii Remote, but the nunchuck. Carving and sliding with the nunchuck feels so intuitive and natural, it makes doing so on an analog stick so cumbersome.

Yet while the Wii U uses the Wii Remote with some games it seems that there are many games that don't use them. This includes games that would benefit immensely from the controls. But the biggest thing to me is that there are no games focused on using the Wii Remote with the possible exception of Pikmin 3. I know that not all games would benefit from the remote but why doesn't Nintendo or some third party release a sword fighting game in the vein of Skyward Sword? A FPS with a lot of focus with pointer controls? I felt that Nintendo having both motion controls and touch controls on their platform would lead to tons of unique titles and revolutionary control schemes. Unfortunately most of it seems to be games that are souped up 3DS games. Which while isn't bad, it isn't what many had in mind when they first heard about the console. While motion controls have their downfalls, its sad to see that many companies, specifically Nintendo are no longer focused on harnessing their strengths.

shola

Banned
NO.

when there is motion gaming, all we get is six threads of complaints and over used gifs. just no.please.

Not particularly? Their usefulness as anything more than a gimmick seems pretty limited, in retrospect. Limited though, rather than non-existent. If we don't see them return in the unnamed Wii U Zelda, I'll be disappointed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I forgot my Dualshock 3 has motion controls until the last of us prompted me to tap it to fix my flash light.

Motion controls are cool some times, but I would rather not have them.

Zertez

Not at all. I want to relax when I play games, not jump and move around. I exercise most days, so I have no need for it when playing a game.

Joco

Nope. Just as I was glad to see the fad that was 3D gaming go, I'm glad to see there being less focus on inferior control methods.

Yes I'm absolutely despondent over it all. No wait, that's not the word I'm looking for. Oh ---happy. I think happy is the word I was looking for.

I think there needs to be a distinction between motion controls (like Skyward Sword) and pointer controls (Metroid Prime 3).

If people are against pointer controls, then I don't know how they use a mouse.

Pointer controls are amazing. In fact, I'll be playing Call of Duty: Ghosts with the best console control scheme available: Wiimote and nunchuk.

There are so many games that benefit from this intuitive use of cursor movement on consoles, and it's usage in games like Call of Duty, Super Mario Galaxy 2's Yoshi controls, and Sin and Punishment is really only scratching the surface.

harlekin

Why? Kinect always was a play to get more TV, movie and music subscriptions sold. To get the spousal acceptance factor up. Why do you still think Kinect would be beneficial for core gaming?

Where the marketing videos hat convincing? Do you miss Kudo Tsunoda (sic)?

As far as Nintendo goes, they found out that casuals don't buy games. Now all of a sudden they would like to talk to cores again. Bowling was a fun toy. Not much more.

ugly

I think there is untapped potential for motion control, and last gen really wasn't enough to see what can be done with a concept like the Wiimote. I was not a fan of the Skyward Sword controls, but I felt like it could be cool had the tech been about doubly as good. Unfortunately the motionplus is staying as is for the Wii U so there won't be anything better than it for Nintendo consoles this gen, or possibly ever again.

Oh well, buttons rule

...Having said that I wish we could have a wiimote, nunchuck setup again for Wii U with more buttons as the main controller. Having your hands apart as you play games is SO good. As well as pointer controls for fps. It's the best control method out there in my opinion. At least we have motionplus but AI YI YI YI YI YI HO CHE DU CHUNG BOK NO HOW I HU DE PU DE MONGLY TONGY HUNKA CHUNKA SPLUNKA CHOWWW

I would have enjoyed another generation of wiimote + nunchuck refinement. Also pointer controls for shooters are more fun than dual sticks.

Newer, better motion sensors + better button placement.

I'm pretty happy actually. I skipped the Wii because I despised motion controls. Glad we're back to good ol' traditional gamepads.

Hypron

I heard several people saying that the wii-mote/move controllers are better than regular pads for fps's (as aiming with a pointer device like that feels closer to aiming with a mouse). Is that right?

Motion control seems to be a natural thing withthin the wiiu games where it makes sense like. Wii party u, mario kart 8 the games seem to use it. Not sure nbout wind waker hd. Id love a wii motion plus control scheme. Judging from zelda battle quest in nintendoland the xontrols could improve from skyward sword.

There are not many fps games on wiiu at the moment but at least cod blops 2 had pointer controls. I hope ghost will have it too.

jabuseika

I'm glad we moved away from that gimmick.

Sadly, we are now in the "oh your friend with a Tablet can join in!" gimmick.

deuce985

Banned
I think the natural evolution of gaming is similar to what Xbone is doing. Forcing the Kinect on you means devs now have the option to build a game around both the Kinect+Gamepad together. Mass Effect 3 had the right idea on how a core gamer could accept gamepad+kinect together. It needs to be progressed further though. If I can eliminate certain inputs from the gamepad to the Kinect, it allows more depth for the game because the gamepad is being freed up for more options. I couldn't imagine the creativity they could do for core gamers.

At the same time, if devs do not feel comfortable building both together then they can just design a game around a gamepad and make Kinect an optional way to play the game. As most games do. Unfortunately, I doubt we see my idea come around much. Since Sony did not force their motion controls on the gamer it means all multiplatform games will be built around the gamepad and Kinect as an optional way to play the game. The only place we're going to see this innovation is through Xbone first-party games.

Gamepads as the only way to play vidya games is archaic. Game development is limited by what that gamepad is capable of doing. It would've been nice to see Sony force motion controls on the gamer like M$ did and I think we could've saw some real innovation merging both gamepad+motion control gaming together. It's really the only way it would've worked for a core gamer.

akaoni

Banned
I'm happy. The fad looks to have passed somewhat, which makes me even more happy. It has been a blight on a few games I wanted to enjoy. I'll concede Metroid Prime though, but I don't really like the Prime games anyway.

Tonguer

Not particularly? Their usefulness as anything more than a gimmick seems pretty limited, in retrospect. Limited though, rather than non-existent.

Well said, I agree.

Flower
Mario Kart Wii

I'm glad it's largely being glossed over this year, though.

I still don't understand the logic of motion gestures being easier to comprehend and execute than pressing a fucking button. It was an attempt at re-inventing the wheel with inaccurate fluff and I'm glad it's fading away.

Gustav

Banned
I'm happy they were practically non existent at E3. Don't like motion controls, don't like pointer controls.

Top Bottom