• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone upset that there is hardly any focus on Motion Controls?

There are many, including myself, who feel very, very strongly opposed to that sentiment. Hell, I'd wager it's the majority.

I'm not so sure it is the majority, but even if it is, I don't really care. It was a fantastic control scheme when correctly calibrated, which would only be made better with true free-form sword fighting and not limited to axis' (axes?). I remember Someone (Miyamoto or Aounuma) even saying the next Zelda would expand on that, but with the Gamepad being the main controller of the console, I'm not so sure anymore.

I'm sure there are a couple that are upset Motion controls aren't a popular thing all that much, Nintendo being one of them.

As for me, NOPE! In fact, make it HELL TO THE NO!

Bought LOZ: TP for the GC to avoid the Wiimote and I really wished SS had traditional controls as I would have enjoyed it more and played it more than once.

Metroid Prime was tolerable because it was a launch game that needed to sell the Wiimote.

I love games with good motion controls, so I'll be kind of bummed if we see even less of those. Tumble, for example, was a lot of fun. I'd love to see motion controls used on some more small puzzle games like that, or anything where that level of precision is required (like others have said, shooters can be great with the Move). Had fun with Sports Champions, too.

The controllers for the PS4/One look good and all, but I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't see a split controller as the main input for this generation, kind of like a refined Wii + Nunchuk/PS Move + Navigation Controller. If developers don't want to include motion control they don't need to (and shouldn't be forced to): even then we end up with a way more comfortable way to play.

yamo

Motion control is the future. So yes, i'm upset!

Too bad the first gen of motion controls were so poorly implemented, waggle etc.

AniHawk

i'd like to see some more variety. pointer controls would be great in first-person shooters. stuff like tearaway shows some creativity using the vita's rear touch pad without it being forced. i don't see why developers should limit themselves if the possibilities are out there.

I'm not so sure it is the majority, but even if it is, I don't really care. It was a fantastic control scheme when correctly calibrated, which would only be made better with true free-form sword fighting and not limited to axis' (axes?). I remember Someone (Miyamoto or Aounuma) even saying the next Zelda would expand on that, but with the Gamepad being the main controller of the console, I'm not so sure anymore.

I agree with you on at least once thing, expanding it past the axis'. In Skyward Swords current form, they traded instant button presses for near instant and arguably somewhat unreliable swings and added nothing, and then turned every enemy in the game into a Simon Says motion control minigame to boot. Had it actually been free form sword fighting, that'd have been cool, but again, really there's no reason you couldn't do it merely using an analog stick. MGS2 did the same back in 2001.

No. It wasn't. SS's use of the motion-plus is anything but shallow.

I fail to see how turning sword battles into Simon says and adding a diagonal slash equals anything but making the combat more shallow, but hey, I don't care for the feel of swinging my hand, so I'm sure I'm missing out on some of the experience or something.

Konosuke

Reading this thread is depressing. I bet there are here a lot of posters just hating after only playing wii sports or kinect/move shovelware.

Guess what guys, there are actually games that benefit a lot from it. Ironically shooters, the most relevant genre, are one of them.

We should be welcoming things that can create new gaming experiences, maybe that way devs can actually make an eeffort to design games with well implemented motion controls

quetz67

Banned
I am baffled by the negativity. I still remember being yelled at how it is the future of gaming. So $100 Kinect is really mostly for switching TV channels?

Glad Sony camera isn't mandatory, they really did see this coming. Are MS still blinded by overwhelming early Kinect sales?

Nekofrog

Banned
Reading this thread is depressing. I bet there are here a lot of posters just hating after only playing wii sports or kinect/move shovelware.

Guess what guys, there are actually games that benefit a lot from it. Ironically shooters, the most relevant genre, are one of them.

We should be welcoming things that can create new gaming experiences, maybe that way devs can actually make an eeffort to design games with well implemented motion controls

Shooters don't benefit at all from "motion" controls. They benefit from pointing abilities, though.

There is a difference.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I think there needs to be a distinction between motion controls (like Skyward Sword) and pointer controls (Metroid Prime 3).

If people are against pointer controls, then I don't know how they use a mouse.

Pointer controls are amazing. In fact, I'll be playing Call of Duty: Ghosts with the best console control scheme available: Wiimote and nunchuk.

There are so many games that benefit from this intuitive use of cursor movement on consoles, and it's usage in games like Call of Duty, Super Mario Galaxy 2's Yoshi controls, and Sin and Punishment is really only scratching the surface.

Unfortunately, pointer controls and motion controls got lumped together early on in the last generation, and it was impossible to separate them in gamers' minds. Pointer controls have so many awesome uses in so many different games, and I'm sad that we never got to see their evolution, as I had hoped we would.

Still waiting on a 3D Mega Man controlled with Wiimote and Nunchuck in a similar fashion to Mario Galaxy. Precise platforming and precise shooting in one package just seems too good to be true.

Shooters benefit from mouse and keyboard a hell of a lot more than they do from motion controls. But I still prefer a controller most of the time because it's more comfortable. Were I to be playing a shooter where I really cared about fidelity, then why the fuck halfstep it, go for a mouse.

Madness

Thanks for generalizing and telling us how we should feel about the games we play and how we play them
No I played skyward Sword, played Metroid Prime 3, Red Steel etc. I don't care for motion controls and it seems the majority doesn't either. To say motion control automatically creates a new experience is laughable. For a lot it makes the experience worse.

Hopefully VR won't be a thing until I'm an old man and no longer care about games. I like coming home after a day at work, plopping my ass on my couch, controller in hand, and enjoy my games with minimal need to move. Nice quiet relaxation.

I really, really don't feel like moving things with my arms and hands or standing up and pretending I'm in a game world.

this. My immersion comes from tight addictive gameplay, not trying to create the holodeck.

Pointer controls are amazing.
Can't be quoted enough.

RIP Playmaker PES :(

Shooters benefit from mouse and keyboard a hell of a lot more than they do from motion controls. But I still prefer a controller most of the time because it's more comfortable. Were I to be playing a shooter where I really cared about fidelity, then why the fuck halfstep it, go for a mouse.
Keyboard doesn't have analog movement.

I wonder how many people actually played games where they were implemented well. Gamers can be obstinate, so I wonder how many people played Wii Sports and then decided that IR aiming didn't work for FPS. It'd be like playing Superman 64 and deciding Mario 64 wouldn't work with an analog stick.

Qassim

No.

The controls are the reason I couldn't continue playing through Skyward Sword, and that hurt, because I wanted to keep playing :(

But I do think Kinect 2 as an augmentation of our current control schemes could be something potentially great.

Unfortunately, pointer controls and motion controls got lumped together early on in the last generation, and it was impossible to separate them in gamers' minds. Pointer controls have so many awesome uses in so many different games, and I'm sad that we never got to see their evolution, as I had hoped we would.

Still waiting on a 3D Mega Man controlled with Wiimote and Nunchuck in a similar fashion to Mario Galaxy. Precise platforming and precise shooting in one package just seems too good to be true.

I played plenty of both types. Pointer controls are certainly better than motion, but pale in comparison to the mouse. Motion controls in general are just bland and pointless at best and game ruining at worst. Okami on the Wii is a tragedy. Metroid Prime 3 is fine, I suppose, but instead I merely pined for a mouse if they were going to make it a shooter.

Gori

Not upset, no. It seems like for both Sony and Nintendo it's an optional extra. Which is ok to me.

Microsoft, however, has yet to show us why we should always have that mandatory $100 camera in our living room. I'm upset they DIDN'T show kinect games at the e3 conference. They just had to show one really cool idea or concept that would tell me why.

Instead, Smart Glass.

Motion controls and touch controls can go ef themselves.

More people probably game with touch controls than analog sticks.

Snapshot King said:
Metroid Prime 3 is fine, I suppose, but instead I merely pined for a mouse if they were going to make it a shooter.

Pointer controls have evolved a long way since MP3. MP3 gave you three controllable options. Modern Wiimote shooters let you customize every last aspect of your controls, and it makes them much faster and more precise.

Also, while I don't argue with people who prefer a mouse over an IR pointer, I will say that a nunchuk with buttons is way better than a WASD keyboard.

More people probably game with touch controls than analog sticks.

Pointer controls have evolved a long way since MP3. MP3 gave you three controllable options. Modern Wiimote shooters let you customize every last aspect of your controls, and it makes them much faster and more precise.

Also, while I don't argue with people who prefer a mouse over an IR pointer, I will say that a nunchuk with buttons is way better than a WASD keyboard.

You can say that, sure. That doesn't make it true and it doesn't mean that any game using a decent Wii Remote setup would be vastly improved with mouse and keyboard, and most games would be much better using old fashioned button controls, making the entire motion control system completely pointless at best and damaging at worst.

You can say that, sure. That doesn't make it true and it doesn't mean that any game using a decent Wii Remote setup would be vastly improved with mouse and keyboard, and most games would be much better using old fashioned button controls, making the entire motion control system completely pointless at best and damaging at worst.

Doesn't make what true? That a nunchuk with an analog stick is better for movement than four digital keys WASD that were not designed for gaming?

And most games are better using old fashioned button controls. I'm not for removing buttons.

Hypron

Because it's never implemented on console shooters, while pointer controls sometimes are/were.

Konosuke

say motion control automatically creates a new experience is laughable. For a lot it makes the experience worse.
It has the potential to create new experiences and more engaging. The experience only gets worse when it's poorly implemented or when it's reduced to waggle.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Motion Controls will be back when the tech is available to make them better than they are now. OP is 100% right about the Metroid Prime Trilogy playing better with the Wiimote, so good. Other than for shooters the tech is good, but not good enough yet.

What about a game like Skyward Sword, where it actively sabotages the game design?

Really? I never had a problem with the controls.

Tofa7

Banned
Its weird people hate on motion controls so much.

Majority of games now are just shooters. And the pointer controls are 100x better than a traditional controller in that sense. So much more accuracy and control.

As for other genres, I never once felt a Wiimote + Nunchuck took away from the experience. Mario Galaxy would have would have worked just as well either way for example. Smash Bros played fine with Remote+Nunchuck (no motion was required), Zelda was really improved with the motion controls, it really changed up the formula with its puzzles and combat. Even stuff like No More Heroes, which could have been done on a normal controller, benefited from motion controls to be honest, it really helped you feel the ridiculous context of the game. Same goes for Madworld.

When developers put in effort, you could really see the potential. It's a shame so many of them just put out bad games with tacked on controls that didn't work, and the masses jumped on that with cries of "lol Wii and lol motion controls, worst console ever!"

tl;dr: Motion control never really took anything away from a game when done correctly. they played just as well. And in a lot of genres the motion control could really add a lot. People don't give it enough credit and just point to the poorly made shovelware as the reason why it sucks.

Orayn

I heard several people saying that the wii-mote/move controllers are better than regular pads for fps's (as aiming with a pointer device like that feels closer to aiming with a mouse). Is that right?

Absolutely. Not quite as good as a mouse, but far, far better than an analog stick could ever hope to be. I can take or leave general motion controlled stuff, but I'm really going to miss pointer controls.

lefantome

I still don't understand how pointer controls are better for fps than a dual stick controller, they should be faster but less accurate right?

I should have played a couple of fps on wii.

Motion Controls will be back when the tech is available to make them better than they are now. OP is 100% right about the Metroid Prime Trilogy playing better with the Wiimote, so good. Other than for shooters the tech is good, but not good enough yet.

Really? I never had a problem with the controls.

I didn't say the controls, I said the design. The motion controls added to the game made it so that combat designed revolved entirely around them, so instead of fighting enemies as you normally would, you spend the entire game with every single enemy, waiting for them to go "Now I'll block THIS way, now I'll block THAT way" and devolving it into Simon Says. Windwaker already have horizontal and vertical slashes as well as thrusts. I also remember it having more moves than skyward sword, and frequently more encounters where you were fighting multiple enemies. Trading all that away so you can go "Yay Im swinging the sword!" is sad and pointless.

Absolutely. Not quite as good as a mouse, but far, far better than an analog stick could ever hope to be. I can take or leave general motion controlled stuff, but I'm really going to miss pointer controls.

Exactly how I feel. I enjoyed some motion controls, but I won't really miss them like I will pointer controls. I'm done with FPS on consoles once devs (read: Treyarch) stop supporting pointer aiming.

I still don't understand how pointer controls are better for fps than a dual stick controller, they should be faster but less accurate right?

You have more precision pointing a cursor with a mouse, right? That's because you're slowly moving your entire hand with pixel-by-pixel accuracy. The same is true for an IR pointer. You're not actually holding your entire arm in the air. With good pointer controls, you can set the sensitivity to nullify the extra hand jitter. Many people find the "moving your hand to point at something" much more accurate than trying to move an analog stick with your thumb and fighting against it snapping back into place.

And while I'm all for IR aiming, dual analog should absolutely be there for people who like it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

they're faster and more accurate! also, i find pointers more fun to use than either analog sticks or a mouse

Top Bottom