• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dark Souls 1 worth playing after beating DS2 and DS3?

They're all worth playing.

Like any series, the earlier games lack some of the later refinements but also some things are dropped or changed in later games that were done better earlier on in the series.

Swordy

Definitely, I had the most fun with it out of the three. Funnily enough, I do think that Dark Souls 3 is a somewhat better game than 2, but I had much more fun with the latter despite its flaws.

i started a new game in Dark Souls for the first time in a long while after playing DS3 exclusively for the past year. at first it was very awkward and difficult to get used to. the controls are different. i believe in DS1 you cannot roll at an angle and can only go in the 4 cardinal directions. the controls feel stilted as well, like i can really only run straight or take 90 degree turns. in the end it's still fine cos the game world is wonderful and a pure joy to play in spite of this.

FWIW i am using JoyToKey but i use these exact settings in DS3 and that works fine. is it just the smoothness of DS3? i consider it the peak of the series in most ways and control wise it is very smooth. going back to DS1 may take some getting used to. almost like going back to NES Castlevania after SOTN.

i started a new game in Dark Souls for the first time in a long while after playing DS3 exclusively for the past year. at first it was very awkward and difficult to get used to. the controls are different. i believe in DS1 you cannot roll at an angle and can only go in the 4 cardinal directions. the controls feel stilted as well, like i can really only run straight or take 90 degree turns. in the end it's still fine cos the game world is wonderful and a pure joy to play in spite of this.

FWIW i am using JoyToKey but i use these exact settings in DS3 and that works fine. is it just the smoothness of DS3? i consider it the peak of the series in most ways and control wise it is very smooth. going back to DS1 may take some getting used to. almost like going back to NES Castlevania after SOTN.
DS1 is natively 30fps as well,and the difference is day and night. Do you have DSfix installed?

Soodanim

Dark Souls 3 is smoother and a big part of why it's great to play, but Joy2Key is why you're having movement that's that limited - it's fine with proper controller input. DS2 is the game that suffers from movement issues, which is one of the reasons it feels like a step down to play. The rolling is limited though, that's normal.

Cat Party

I recently beat DS1 for the first time after having beat the other two many times. The original is definitely worth playing. It controls worse but it is a special experience.

ubiblu

DS1 is long overdue for a remaster, but it still plays great on PC with DSfix applied. FYI, I played DS1 after BB and DS2 and really enjoyed it.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just play it, on PC if you can. Prepare to Die edition is cheap somewhere I am sure.

It really is one of the best of the series (have not played BB myself). I have like 200+ hours in it and counting. I keep going back.

E-flux

We have had enough circle jerking of DeS to last a life time so i won't go into that but in general the best souls games are the "first" games, so DeS, DaS, and Bloodborne. I was pretty disappointed when they continued Dark souls with 2 sequels since it just seems like a failing battle.

Its my fav of the 3 dark souls games. Its got its jank, especially in the last third of the game but it had the best lvl / world design and enemy encounters as far as im concerned.

ogbg

The answer is a solid YES. It's a different game, and it's also better in a lot of ways.

Questions like these are either arrogant or straight-up ignorant. It's a classic and you shoul know that, OP. Never dismiss a game because of its age.

How can a question be either of those things?

I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning on announcing a remaster soon, since DS1 was the only Souls game that oddly didn't go on sale during the Steam Sale. They probably don't want you playing the old one for cheap when there is a new version around the corner.

kc44135

Yes, OP. It's an amazing game, and well worth playing. It has the best level/world design of the series, IMO. That said, I really wish it had a proper remaster. The last-gen console versions are awful (sub-HD resolution at like 15 FPS, lol), and the PC version (at least with DSFix) is much better, but even still, the game was never properly optimized to run at 60 FPS (physics and whatnot are tied to frame-time, IIRC), which is very difficult to get used to after DS2 and 3.

I love the game, but it's hard going back, y'all. I'm guessing that at this point though, with the franchise pretty much done now, any kind of re-release is probably off the table. :(

Dark Souls 3 is smoother and a big part of why it's great to play, but Joy2Key is why you're having movement that's that limited - it's fine with proper controller input. DS2 is the game that suffers from movement issues, which is one of the reasons it feels like a step down to play. The rolling is limited though, that's normal.

i use Joy2Key for DS3 and movement is fine there. fwiw i can remember it controlling much more smoothly a few years ago. i did have to switch from x360ce to Joy2Key after months of playing when Steam updated the game a while ago, maybe that messed up my controls somehow. i have struggled with playing DS1 on PC over the years. grrr. this is why consoles will never die ;-)

DS1 is natively 30fps as well,and the difference is day and night. Do you have DSfix installed?

oh yeah, i love DSFix and have used it since my first play. i have to switch back to 30fps for some of the jumps though. sometimes i even leave it on 30 for regular play and the physics do feel a little better.

Top Bottom