• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Dark Souls 1 worth playing after beating DS2 and DS3?

mxgt

Banned
Game is really poor to controlled into comparison to all the other Souls games.

?

Do you mean it controls poorly in comparison?

I disagree, I'm playing it at the moment and it feels great. I'd argue that DS2 controls the worst in the series with its floaty movement.

No, its best just watch a playthrough for lore. Game is really poor to controlled into comparison to all the other Souls games.

Na. DS2's floaty-ness "wins" that category for life :(

I do think it has the best lore of the series though (Dark, not DeSo/BB)...as a whole. Some vignettes in 3 were really cool.

Sizzel

So- you should try it. It is jank as hell and "feels" terrible compared to 3 to me.
Disclaimer -
I went BB DS2SotFS DS1 DS3 and rank them

BB ->DS3->DS1->DS2

I gather if you started on DS1 it is the best in the series and a gem. It doesn;t hold up and is clunky for me. I hypothesize the love for it is nostalgia based. you never forget your first time.

That or people truly like Ds1 and hate 3., either way, you can probably get a steam copy for 4 cents nowadays...totally worth a shot. At 4k with some mods.. it is not the worst thing ever. Do it for the full experience, but having the scope of the whole series.. it won't be the same as a launch window play through obviously.

BADMAN

I just did a full lttp playthrough of des-ds3 and I would say that ds1 not only holds up but feels like the fullest experience. 100% worth it.

I disagree, I'm playing it at the moment and it feels great. I'd argue that DS2 controls the worst in the series with its floaty movement.

Yea this is just a fact. With the delays for certain inputs DS2 is easily the worst controlling in the series. DS1 feels snappy as fuck in comparison.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Is it worth eating a t bone steak after eating a shitty burnt piece of meat and fried chicken?

giphy.gif

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

StarPhlox

I played it last out of the entire series (including Demon's and Bloodborne) and the answer is still yes. It may be my favorite despite having no rose-colored glasses whatsoever for it.

.Anema

Yes, overall its not better than 3 but its really close. Its a little slower, you need to get used to that coming from DS3.

what a crazy question.

The original Dark Souls is the pinnacle of the series, and that's including side stuff like Bloodborne. I wish the other games could've copied or built upon the metroidvania world design of DS1 but for whatever reason they never did.

Voidwolf

Definitely, yes. Prepare to Die Edition will no doubt go on sale today on Steam, pick it up and get the DSFix mod to enjoy the best version of the game. Also, play with a controller.

Shredderi

Yes. After playing the Souls games, the first one is the one I come back to. It's like coming come. It's world/level design is many times better than in the sequels. It really is a tour de force in map design. All the ways you can sequence break is marvelous. It makes the world kind of fascinating on more than just lore level. Like there is actual merit in trying myriad of different ways of traversing the map. My god that first playthrough of that game was something else. You guys know.

Gbraga

Yes. After playing the Souls games, the first one is the one I come back to. It's like coming come. It's world/level design is many times better than in the sequels. It really is a tour de force in map design. All the ways you can sequence break is marvelous. It makes the world kind of fascinating on more than just lore level. Like there is actual merit in trying myriad of different ways of traversing the map. My god that first playthrough of that game was something else. You guys know.

Yep, my latest playthrough was a few weeks ago, and here's what I did before fighting the Gargoyles:

Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, Ceaseless Discharge, Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, Four Kings, Pinwheel and Stray Demon.

I got there with a +15 Reinforced Club. It was nuts. One R2 was enough for the second Gargoyle.

This game is incredible.

Duffman

Yes. A lot of people think it's the best game in the series.

Difficulty-wise it's about the same with the rest
Ornstein and smough though...

kogasu

You certainly can! It's still pretty good in its own right. I'd say the combat is a bit slower and maybe a bit more clunkier than the sequels so that might be jarring coming from the other two but your defensive options are better. There are also other smaller "quality of life" improvements not present in the original too so also expect to make some adjustments.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yes, although you're really going to miss some of the quality-of-life improvements that went into the later games.

YES. God damn, I'm like 20 hours into SotFS after finishing a 75-hour DS1 run, and HOLY HELL, DS1 is hands down one of the best-designed games I've ever played. Its level design might be my very favorite in any game (and is only challenged by Bioshock and System Shock 2 on that front). Its lore is only challenged by the aforementioned two, and Soul Sacrifice Delta.

Every nook and corner in DS1 is infused with meaning and emotion. I can't really describe it any other way. It sets up expectations, then it either subverts or exceeds them (or both). It surprises, it depresses, it elates- and does all that practically wordlessly!

The level design is so tight that I could probably mentally replay any area in the game (especially from the first half). The music, from the save screen music (which is grossly underrated!) to iconic boss tracks to the Firelink Shrine soundtrack I simply can NOT get enough of, is also wonderful.

The battle system, while frustrating about a few things at times, is brutal, fair and most importantly, extremely satisfying.

Definitely. 2 and 3 make a number of improvements over the original in terms of gameplay and QoL stuff, but neither can match up to its world and level design. I never felt that same sense of adventure and discovery with 2/3 or Bloodborne.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely. Dark Souls is the best game in the series imo.

Some of the big differences:
- Encounter design is closer to original 2 than either SotFS or 3
- There are no alt. healing items, only Estus and magic, and the Estus implementation differs
- Equip load actually matters

1. I disagree, it's far more similar to 3. OG2 and SoTFS throw trash mobs upon trash mobs on you. Dark Souls & Dark Souls 3 are much better at their enemy placement. Even the gankiest of areas in DS3 (Crucifixion Woods) are all built so that you can 1v1 almost every encounter. It reminds me a lot of Darkroot from DS1.

2. Incorrect, Humanity exists, heals 100% of your HP and can be farmed.

3. Not really since Endurance increases your Equip Load. There's a reason the Giant's Dad build works. For the most part, DS1 is just as Fashion Soulsy as DS3. I think what you meant to say is that Poise actually matters.

@ OP: Yes. Literally leagues above DS2. Play it on PC with DSFix - downsample and get some of the Texture Mods for the UI that are out there and it plays perfect with a controller. There's also an Online Mod that you can use.

DemiMatt

Is it worth eating a t bone steak after eating a shitty burnt piece of meat and fried chicken?

Such an amazing analogy.

I played Demon's -> DS2 ->DS1 and asides from Demons (which holds a special place in my heart) DS1 is the king of the series. It was worlds harder than any DS game to date, and I think to this day still is the hardest of the series. . . then again maybe I should go replay it.

Oreiller

DS1 is the best game in the series so yeah, you should play it.
It's not as polished as DS3, and some of the areas are utter garbage, but its world design and its sense of exploration are unmatched in the whole series.

TacosNSalsa

Yes most definitely ..and also after playing one you might have a great appreciation for somethings that you encountered during 3 ..

Shredderi

Yep, my latest playthrough was a few weeks ago, and here's what I did before fighting the Gargoyles:

Asylum Demon, Taurus Demon, Capra Demon, Gaping Dragon, Quelaag, Ceaseless Discharge, Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, Four Kings, Pinwheel and Stray Demon.

I got there with a +15 Reinforced Club. It was nuts. One R2 was enough for the second Gargoyle.

This game is incredible.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! I love it!

Definitely. 2 and 3 make a number of improvements over the original in terms of gameplay and QoL stuff, but neither can match up to its world and level design. I never felt that same sense of adventure and discovery with 2/3 or Bloodborne.

And the sense of adventure. It really does have it in spades. To me it starts with the visuals. The vistas. The way you can look into the deep crevices of the ground from Undead Burg and know that there is something down there. The way it all connects lead me to look at some faraway places and wondering what the fuck is there, only to actually end up in there to find out. It really created this adventurous feeling. I don't even know another game that made me feel that exact feeling. It really blew my mind, and I only joined the party years after the initial release. I was like "Dark Souls this git gud that ALRIGHT I'll fucking play it". It has my favourite gameworld and map design in any game ever. I was so fascinated with the world.

Bloodborne was actually my first Souls game and I was so frustrated with that that I had to take a break from it and bought DS1. I liked it significantly more than Bloodborne even though Bloodborne is very good. It's just that fucking world of DS1. It grabbed me in a way that not even it's sequels could.

Haluko

I would say its definitely worth playing. I recently played all 3 back to back again. I think the first half of dark souls is some of the best in the series overall, but I dont think its the best one. I think DS really chokes in the 2nd half. It has the highest highs and the lowest lows imo.

I played the hell out of BB and DS3, but I stopped playing DS1 about 25% in because I wasn't a fan of the combat and movement options in the game. Great world though.

SpokkX

The answer is yes, OP. The original Dark Souls has, in my opinion, the best world of the three. It's an amazing journey.

Yes it is!!

DS3 i better i many ways but the original is still amazing and way bettee than ds2.

Also best level design

Top Bottom