• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Fallout 4 worth $20?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's not a real RPG anymore, but at the end of the day you'll get to explore a well realized creepy city and shoot shit. That's a good time imo.

Rektash

On a gaming market where 20$ can easily get you an amazing gaming experience I'd say no, it wouldn't even be worth it for free.

If you want to spend your living time with thoroughly mediocre experiences then by all means, go ahead.

It was such a piece of shit that I regretted paying $40 for it. I'm not sure it's worth $20. I played I think 20 hours and decided this was shit and never launched it again.

The open-world genre has much better options. Start with The Witcher 3.

I bought a PS4 to enter the current gen so I could play Fallout 4. While the game was a massive disappointment, I still had a lot of fun with it and don't regret my purchase. A big problem with the game is that everyone was expecting something truly next-gen, but what we got instead was Fallout 3.5 and given the buildup, it was a slap in the face for most fans.

Acerac

Banned
It's NeoGAF. Hyperbole is the name of the game.

It's fucked up that you don't even believe that people may genuinely have an opinion that differs from yours.

Saying that a game isn't worth 20 dollars is not an outrageous statement...

If only it was more Fallout 3. I absolutely loved that game, it was one of my GOATs.

I couldn't even bring myself to play 4 beyond 10 hours. Terrible game.

I hated Fallout 3 because it was a terrible RPG with terrible mechanics to boot, I loved Fallout 4 because aside from pretty major missteps it doubles down on what Bethesda does best.

NV> FO4> FO3 in terms of 3D fallouts imo

This was my first Fallout game, so I went with very little expectations.

The game started out strong for me, but as I continued to play I realized there was an illusion of choice and I didn't care about what the game wanted me to care about. I say skip it.

Fury451

Banned
It's not a real RPG anymore, but at the end of the day you'll get to explore a well realized creepy city and shoot shit. That's a good time imo.

Fitting description.

Unless you play the survival sim mode, it's a pretty shallow RPG and has a dogshit main story, choice, and conversation system, but has a lot of cool things to see/do on the side and the combat is actually good mostly.

I get not liking the game, there's a lot I don't like about it, and I mean a lot, but the negative hyperbole here is something else. But, opinions and all that, maybe many people do truly hate it.

Ladekabel

If it grabs you then it is worth it for the dollar/time investment. If it's quality time is for everyone on their own to judge. For me Fallout 4 is a game that exists, I somehow played for over 50 hours but don't hold in high regards.

For €20 you're getting a fuckload of content, so yes. It may not be as good as what came before, but it's still pretty damn good in its own right.

Yes. With the right mods Fallout 4 can be an enjoyable fps. It is also an improvement over Fallout 3 because it doesn't even pretend to be an RPG anymore.

Just dont expect any good writing, storytelling and choice & consequence. Just shoot stuff and laugh at how stupid everyone around you is.

Man, the hate Fallout gets around the internet just astounding. Is it as deep an RPG as the first two games? No. Does it have as deep quests as New Vegas? No. Can it still be a good game without needing those things? Yes, it can. If you go into the game wanting some deep RPG with layered quests then yes you'll be disappointed, but considering Bethesda's modern output I'm not quite sure why anyone would expect that in the first place. Even Skyrim doesn't exactly have deep and layered quests nor complex RPG systems and it doesn't get half the shit Fallout 4 does.

So is it worth $20? Probably, at that price you're getting a lot of game for the money. If you're looking for something that heralds back to the original two Fallout games then no it doesn't fit that, and if you played Fallout 3 before and didn't enjoy it then you may not like this either. But for that price I'd say personally it's more than worth it. Also, if you do get it feel free to ignore the base building if you want, it's really not that important and you can do just fine without it.

Depends. If you thought New Vegas was excellent and the thought of a new one fills you with glee then no.

If you like shooters and collectathons then yeah probably.

Archanfel

Well if you like a story that's weak, hunting around for lots of junk, building things, handling every single situation and area found with a shootout, meat sponge enemies, and generally not having to worry about any RPG elements then you'll love it.

If you want a good story, meaningful characters, choices, and other well thought out RPG elements you'll probably not enjoy it.

It is basically a generic survival fps with some light fallout rpg elements strapped on. Oh and you can have a little sim village.

I'm going to assume that most of the negative comments are sarcasm. That being said it was worth full price with full price for season pass as well. I still go back to it.

Van Bur3n

It's fucked up that you don't even believe that people may genuinely have an opinion that differs from yours.

Saying that a game isn't worth 20 dollars is not an outrageous statement...

I absolutely understand the disappointment and contempt some people have with this game. I share that very same disappointment, and if anything, have been far more critical of the game than most. In a constructive manner that is. I hung around the Bethesda forums, and criticism was all I had to offer.

But people claiming it's a "piece of shit" or one of the worst games of this gen, really have no idea what a real bad game is. Fallout 4, despite its flaws and shortcomings, is far from that.

So yes, hyperbole.

Acerac

Banned
I absolutely understand the disappointment and contempt some people have with this game. I share that very same disappointment, and if anything, have been far more critical of the game than most. In a constructive manner that is. I hung around the Bethesda forums, and criticism was all I had to offer.

But people claiming it's "piece of shit" or one of the worst games of this gen, really have no idea what a real bad game is. Fallout 4, despite its flaws and shortcomings, is far from that.

So yes, hyperbole.

You were quoting a post saying that it was ridiculous that people said it wasn't worth 20 dollars, not anyone who said it was a piece of shit or saying it was one of the worst games this gen.

Hyperbole exists in the space around the game, but saying that it isn't worth 20 dollars certainly isn't.

It's a bad Fallout game but still a good game regardless, if that makes sense. Well worth $20; just make sure to stick with it because the opening can be slow.

I really enjoyed it despite it being a steamlined game that removes RPG elements present in for example New Vegas.

If you like exploring the world as seen in the trailers, its a huge game (ie exploring all the interiors as well most of the map) - I have 330 hours in the game, most back when it came out but also after getting a 1080 Ti and 1440p monitor with the high textue pack which gave it a big upgrade so got back into it short while ago. I personally really like how colorful the game is, in stark contrast to Fallout 3 (New Vegas was somewhat in the middle, and has incredible RPG mechanics).

I actually like the side companions in this game, such as Piper and Cait and the funny comments they say as you explore. Main story I also thought was quite interesting too.

Melee once you max blitz (and get related perks like Ninja) does insane damage even as a low strength character. Luck tree also has some insanely powerful abilities like banking criticals (which always hit even if you have 1% chance in VATS) and better criticals. I find the game most fun playing a sneak character.

Actually just talking about it makes me want to carry on my playthrough.

I rather enjoyed it, but I didn't let it linger. It's not exactly deep, but a run for the finish is fun enough for $20 IMHO. Soured a little when I went back later to try the other endings, and I haven't bothered with the DLC at all.

Oh man now I'm starting to doubt if I should put the time in this. The reaction is really bad.
Some of the negative comments are hyperbolic. This is a prime example:

hell no. it's not worth your time even for free. buy any of the hundred of good wrpgs available.

Look, Fallout 4 is a disappointment as a follow up to New Vegas and 3 but it's still worth playing as long as you know what you're getting into.

The game has become more action based and watered down the RPG mechanics. Story is meh. Gunplay is below average but VATS compensates to make combat a blast. Huge world to explore that can last you 100+ hours easy.

Koh

There's so many better games you can buy for $20.

I rented Fallout 4 at redbox for $1.50; plenty of time for me to see what kind of game it was.

wamberz1

Sure. Yeah as a fallout game it sucks but the sheer amount of content makes it worth that price tag IMO. Plus the base building and survival modes were pretty fun.

I have a feeling most of the people in this thread saying no would say the same even if it were 2$. I.E. they just think nobody should play it ever. Again, as an RPG it sucks but I still had a lot of fund playing it, and I think 20$ is about the right price for my experience.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
If you're in it for the exploration and shooting mechanics, sure. If you're into crafting stuff, sure.

I was in it for dialogue fun, story fun, companion fun, and exploration. I only got the lattermost of these things; the dialogue system utterly nuked my enjoyment of the rest. I own it digitally, but if I'd bought it physically I'd have resold it and I don't think I'd pay $5 for a replay, let alone $20. But folks dig games for different reasons, and I can see it being worth more than $20 for some people.

Fjordson

Yes. It's a solid game with an interesting world and good combat.

It's definitely disappointing compared to New Vegas, though. I'm replaying that for the first time on PC with mods and it's so fun. Just a way better RPG and a way better Fallout game than 4.

Bankai

You love Fallout 3; the atmosphere, the voiceacting, the free roming?
You want more of the same, with slightly better gfx and lots of weapon customization?

Then Fallout 4 is for you.

I loved it, because of my love for Fallout 3. I had a great time, played everything through, including the DLC (not finished with Nuka world though..).

No. It's hard for me to look at Fallout 4 from any angle and not see a wasted opportunity and massive disappointment. It's so shallow and non-sensical.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Some of the negative comments are hyperbolic. It's a disappointment as a follow up to New Vegas and 3 but still is worth playing despite flaws as long as you know what you're getting into. The game has become more action based and watered down the RPG mechanics. Story is meh. Gunplay is below average but VATS compensates to make combat a blast. Huge world to explore that can last you 100+ hours easy.

But I didn't play 3 or New Vegas.. This is my first game in the series. Bought it at release but knowing how time sink it's I always say I'll find the time and end up playing something else.

$20? Yeah. C'mon, even if it was disappointing, $20 for a Bethesda game as big, sprawling and open as Fallout is a great deal.

Play and see if it falls short for you, but if you like previous Fallout games, for $20, definitely worth.

StereoVsn

It's absolutely worth it as long as you play on preferably PC as I am not sure about Xbone's performance and PS4 mod situation isn't great but there are still mods there and base gameplay is pretty good for that price.

Basically if you install appropriate mods and set the game on Survival mode then it becomes a pretty great survival/exploration game with bonus crafting options. It's just not a great RPG (and Fallout 3 wasn't one either) so if you are looking at something akin to New Vegas you will be disappointed.

On the other hand Bethesda built a pretty good world and there are some excellent mods for the game. Gameplay also is a notch above previous entrees as well and you have a few decent companion options.

So yes, get it as Survival or Exploration shooter with light RPG mechanics and crafting. Don't get it if you want a good RPG. I also like the DLCs in the Season Pass but I got it for under $25. I wouldn't pay much more for that.

Top Bottom