• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gandalf a conjurer of cheap tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega

Banned
He's a very powerful celestial being, but in his wizard form on middle earth he's intentionally nerfed by his higher ups.

This. Both to keep him humble and prevent another powerful nemesis in Middle Earth in case he was corrupted.

Saruman is proof the wizards being restrained was the right thing to do. Imagine if the latter had become a second Sauron instead of just an evil man with some magic. There would have been no fellowship or War of the Ring. None of the races in the Third Age had the numbers or strength to face that.

When's the remake of lord of the rings coming anyway.

Should be soonish. What's the earliest in terms of time frame Hollywood has taken and remade a movie?

Hopefully never, they still hold up incredibly well. At least it should not happen before a complete redo of the Hobbit in the 2020s, then maybe consider a new take of LOTR in the 2030s.

Mega

Banned
So is saruman dead dead or was that just an avatar and he's back to chilling in heaven or whatever

It was him and he died. After death his spirit looked to the West (Undying Lands), for forgiveness and permission back in, but he was met with a cold wind and blown away (rejection). Probably doomed to roam ME as a harmless, formless spirit.

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully never, they still hold up incredibly well. At least it should not happen before a complete redo of the Hobbit in the 2020s, then maybe consider a new take of LOTR in the 2030s.
Seriously. I'm rewatching Fellowship of the Ring after a decade or so and it still holds up quite well. I could only imagine what a more modern take might look like.

Kinokou

Aye. And one of my favorite magical feats in the cinematic universe is Galadriel utterly vaporizing an orc(?) holding Gandalf captive.

The clip sounded badass, and it was, but from a gender perspective I feel everything about it got immediately invalidated since she saved Gandalf, but then you needed two men to rescue her. Only based on this clip, never saw the movie itself. She should just AOE pulsed the wraiths away IMO and everything would be awesome.

The trilogy holds up much better than most films. To be honest, it'd be hard for me to imagine a better cast as I felt it was perfect. However, it's not unusual for Hollywood to remake 20 year old films which the first one will be in 2021.

Armaros

The clip sounded badass, and it was, but from a gender perspective I feel everything about it got immediately invalidated since she saved Gandalf, but then you needed two men to rescue her. Only based on this clip, never saw the movie itself. She should just AOE pulsed the wraiths away IMO and everything would be awesome.

She drives away Sauron himself right after, which makes her easily the most badass of them all. (that is allowed on ME, else saruman would have just stomped everyone)

border

Should be soonish. What's the earliest in terms of time frame Hollywood has taken and remade a movie?

The Punisher (2004) and Punisher War Zone (2008) probably. Though I don't know if you would call the latter a "remake". Spider Man and Amazing Spider Man are only 10 years apart I think.

If you look at foreign movies that get remade by Hollywood (Let the Right One In, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), remakes can happen quite quickly. If you are talking about a situation where both the original and the remake have the exact same story and exact same characters AND are both Hollywood productions, I don't know. Most true remakes take at least a few decades (True Grit, Robocop, Ocean's Eleven, Dracula, Magnificent Seven).

dude, he killed a balrog
uh yeah. and even if he didn't, he single handedly fought him off and saved the fellowship, thus ensuring the entire world was saved. he put in so much effort that god himself resurrected gandalf and gave him saruman's job. that shit is CRAZY
Anyone who believes anything other than Gandalf being a damn s a v a g e is objectively wrong. And they should be banned.

border

Did Gandalf really beat a balrog? Or did he just make it fall down a deep ass hole because it was trying to walk on and extremely narrow platform that couldn't support its weight?

If Gandalf were on solid ground, could he really go toe-to-toe against a balrog?

Did Gandalf really beat a balrog? Or did he just make it fall down a deep ass hole because it was trying to walk on and extremely narrow platform that couldn't support its weight?

If Gandalf were on solid ground, could he really go toe-to-toe against a balrog?
After they fell down the hole, Gandalf and Durin's Bane found a passage leading back outside and then fought for two days straight on the peak of a mountain, to the extent that onlookers saw massive thunder and fire storms on the peak, and when Gandalf killed it the mountainside was actually damaged by the balrog's falling.

BigDes

He made it fall, then they had a hell of a fight that took them back to the top of the mountain where Gandalf wrecked it.

Also Gandalf wrecked the balrog so hard it took half the mountain with it in the book

border

After they fell down the hole, Gandalf and Durin's Bane found a passage leading back outside and then fought for two days straight on the peak of a mountain, to the extent that onlookers saw massive thunder and fire storms on the peak, and when Gandalf killed it the mountainside was actually damaged by the balrog's falling.

Okay, I think you've sufficiently jogged my memory. I've probably only watched The Two Towers twice, but have seen Fellowship like a dozen times. There's a scene in TTT where he fights the balrog on a mountain top, right?

Veelk

Banned

The most epic battle in the entire series, and it happens offscreen.

I don't know whether to praise Tolkien for inviting us to imagine it so we're no way disappointed by it, or just resent the bastard because I want to see it so bad.

GRFYqhb.png

neorej

ERMYGERD!
He made it fall, then they had a hell of a fight that took them back to the top of the mountain where Gandalf wrecked it.

Also Gandalf wrecked the balrog so hard it took half the mountain with it in the book
Allegedly. Gandalf claims he did, but there's no witnesses to substantiate the claim.

Carn82

He came back from the dead, so he has JC powerlevels.

Jokes aside, he also has one of the three rings, forgot which one. I believe it's power was related to hope and perseverance.

Eusis

Might actually be safe to assume he's largely holding back for the sake of mortals. Once they're out of the picture entirely and it's another of his kind he's fighting he can go epic level rather than 5th level.

Monocle

Might actually be safe to assume he's largely holding back for the sake of mortals. Once they're out of the picture entirely and it's another of his kind he's fighting he can go epic level rather than 5th level.
Remember when Galadriel scared away Sauron's weakened form in that one Hobbit movie by unleashing her sorceress form or whatever? As a Maiar (or high angel), Gandalf is more powerful than Galadriel, who is merely an elf from the time when elves were all ridiculously badass. He's just not allowed to use his power directly. It's forbidden by the Valar, who are essentially minor gods who are subordinate to Eru, the great creator. (Eru might have been directly responsible for reviving Gandalf after his Balrog battle, btw).

LOTR lore is extremely deep and really fascinating. Again, I'd encourage everyone to read the Silmarillion. So many cool stories. LOTR is so much better when you know the history, and where certain old characters like Elrond, Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, and Sauron came from.

Is talking about Gandalf's ring considered spoilers? Because reading some of these replies it feels like spoilers :D
None of the movies touch on it.

Horsefly

None of the movies touch on it.

Right, so do we leave the movie watchers with the image that Gandalf was the great motivator? Or tell the truth and admit
he just wore a magic ring he was given by an elf that did all that work for him? :D

sohois

Killing a Balrog isn't that impressive considering that in the Silmarillion, regular elves were slaying them left, right and centre. Fingolfin even got the better of Morgoth in single combat, despite being unable to kill him as he was immortal.

Killing a Balrog isn't that impressive considering that in the Silmarillion, regular elves were slaying them left, right and centre. Fingolfin even got the better of Morgoth in single combat, despite being unable to kill him as he was immortal.

I'm pretty sure that there were only 3? people that actually managed to kill a Balrog, without the fight killing themselves too, and that's including what happened with Gandalf.
Memory might be a tad hazy though, its been quite some time since I've read any of the books.

My sister once told me that Dumbledore was the strongest wizard ever, and that nobody could beat him. I told her that Gandalf could beat Dumbledore and it wouldn't even be close.

Carn82

Right, so do we leave the movie watchers with the image that Gandalf was the great motivator? Or tell the truth and admit
he just wore a magic ring he was given by an elf that did all that work for him? :D

Galadriel also had one, same for Elrond.

In the Third Age, Círdan, recognizing Gandalf's true nature as one of the Maiar from Valinor, gave him the ring to aid him in his labours. It is described as having the power to inspire others to resist tyranny, domination, and despair (in other words, evoking hope in others around the wielder), as well as giving resistance to the weariness of time
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Rings

Regular elves (and men too) were a heck of a lot tougher in the first age, particularly the Eldar, which were practical demigods themselves

sohois

I'm pretty sure that there were only 3? people that actually managed to kill a Balrog, without the fight killing themselves too, and that's including what happened with Gandalf.
Memory might be a tad hazy though, its been quite some time since I've read any of the books.
You might be right as I also haven't read it in ages. I vaguely recall Glorfindel killing a few, but then its not even clear that that is the same Glorfindel as in Lotr, iirc.

Carcetti

OG elves who'd been to West were like superheroes with all that god power and the light from the two trees. They could drop Hulk or Thor easy.

Remember when Earendil killed a dragon so big that when it dropped out it flattened a mountain range?

You might be right as I also haven't read it in ages. I vaguely recall Glorfindel killing a few, but then its not even clear that that is the same Glorfindel as in Lotr, iirc.

I just quickly looked it up, and it seems to depend on which parts of the lore you've read. In earlier writings, there are hundreds of Balrogs, and they're much easier to kill than the one Gandalf faced. In the later writings, Tolkien states that there were more than 3, but not more than 7 in existence. Those Balrogs were much stronger and more powerful, and killing them was very difficult. Just the fact that one of them managed to cause the entire Dwarven nation of Moria to either be killed, or flee because it couldn't be defeated is crazy. Especially given that I believe the Dwarves were considered to be the best warrior race in Middle Earth.

Christine

I've always been a bit annoyed at the VFX in the Kazad-dum scene. They show the whip snag Gandalf's leg, yes, that's how he gets pulled down, correct, but then they show the whip uncoil and the Balrog fall. The way the scene is supposed to play is that the need for sacrifice is forced on Gandalf. Despite all the planning and caution and discipline that he's exercised to bring the party safely through Moria, he's pressed into a corner where he has no choice. He can try to keep hanging on or he can let go, but his enemy is not going to allow him to get back on the bridge and rejoin his friends.

They play it this way with McKellen's performance, he's exerted and struggling as he's hanging from the bridge. Without the Balrog, this makes it looks like he's feeble with age and can't pull up his own body weight. He sputters out "fly, you fools!" and drops and then in the next moment he's all composed and battle-intent in some sort of sparkly sword dive. It has always played oddly for me. The scene looks pretty good and it really ought to have played well, but I think that there's a discontinuity of intent running through it. I'm not saying that there weren't any "Gandalf splits the party, is XP hog" jokes before the movie came out, but I think the way they did this scene really lent itself to people seeing a comedic angle.

sangreal

The Punisher (2004) and Punisher War Zone (2008) probably. Though I don't know if you would call the latter a "remake". Spider Man and Amazing Spider Man are only 10 years apart I think.

If you look at foreign movies that get remade by Hollywood (Let the Right One In, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), remakes can happen quite quickly. If you are talking about a situation where both the original and the remake have the exact same story and exact same characters AND are both Hollywood productions, I don't know. Most true remakes take at least a few decades (True Grit, Robocop, Ocean's Eleven, Dracula, Magnificent Seven).

There was Exorcist: The Beginning (2004) and Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005). The same movie made by the same studio with the same sets but 2 different directors and both were released in theaters

Also death at a funeral (2007) and death at a funreal (2010) which falls under your second category as the former is British, but I mean... It's the same language. Peter Dinklage even had the same role in both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom