• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or was 2004 to 2009 some of the dullest years in gaming.

04-07 were absolutely fantastic. Some of the best games ever came out in that time frame.

2008-2011 was really shit though

Nah, we had games like Super Mario Galaxy 2, Red Dead, Dead Space, Bayonetta, Portal 2, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, to name but a few.

There haven't been dark ages in gaming for a long time.

2004-2009 was amazing! We had games like Mass Effect, Halo 3, Modern Warfare, Dead Rising, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Orange Box, Oblivion and so much more. Those were absolutely amazing times!

gioGAF

Lol, such a fail opening post. That time period was pretty solid and I would say much better than the DLC and endless patches bullshit era we are in now.

Just a quick google...

Bioshock
Portal
Halo 3
Witcher
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Rock Band
Mass Effect

Oblivion
Bully
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Guitar Hero II
Ghost Recon
Final Fantasy XII

Indigo Prophecy
FEAR
Psychonauts
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Jade Empire
Call of Duty 2
The Warriors

World of Warcraft
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Fable
The Thousand Year Door
Katamari Damacy
Knights of the Old Republic
City of Heroes

OP...I don't know what you were playing over those years. Maybe the thread could be retitled to "Hey I really need to post this VG Catz comic!"

acevans2

The comic in the OP is about visuals, and it definitely seems like some games from that era were in a bit of an awkward 'growing phase' for graphics. But, there are some phenomenal games (in visual appeal and overall) from then too.

Well, I basically didn't play any games between 2004 and 2011, besides a few goes on my brother's wii, so you could be right.

Those were the real 'teenage boy smelling of Lynx' years of gaming, after the bright and inventive 90s and early 2000s gaming generations- but maybe that's just because I was a teen in the mid 2000s, and the people I knew who played video games smelled of Lynx and fetishised guns and atheism.

TS-08

In 2008 we had Mirror's Edge, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, BF: Bad Company, Left 4 Dead, Burnout Paradise, Smash Bros Wii and motherfucking Braid... what is op talking about?

I don't agree with OP (at least for '04-'07), but that list isn't really a very compelling counter argument.

Wedzi

Banned
I am probably biased on personal experience, but I remember 2004 to 2009 to be pretty dull in terms of games, not bad games per say just lacking in innovation.

Apart from a few stand out GOTY titles of course.

The graphical art style also trended towards darker tones as well. Big example were like Boomberman on the 360. Also the rise of the first person shooter as well.

It was also a period of bloom, loads of bloom.

Just so happy that we are out of those dark ages lol.

Just a few

MrBadger

That was the era of 3D platformers being converted into dull brawlers with less bright colours. Crash of the Titans, the Legend of Spryo games and Pacman World 3 are some examples. Sonic Unleashed too but that's kind of an outlier because the graphics are good some of the game is okay-ish. I dunno, maybe they figured that mashing the punch button was less frustrating than platforming in 3D?

But Super Mario Galaxy also came out in that timeframe, which balances things out.

Lol, such a fail opening post. That time period was pretty solid and I would say much better than the DLC and endless patches bullshit era we are in now.

Not true either. Gaming is absolutely amazing at the moment. This year alone is probably better than any year last gen and it's less than four months old.

Neptonic

I love thread backfires.

OP, what kind of games do you even play if you thought that glorious era were the dark ages?
I'm guessing either fighting games or PC RTS

Now is the best time to be playing video games.

I'd say 2002-2004 were darker times, ending right about Christmas '04. Then we started getting some "end of generation" classics and then things bled into the next-generation which the 360 started off pretty decently.

But man. The fucking games that came out in 2002 and 2003. Basically hordes of developers stumbling around in the dark, falling down stairs trying to get games to run and look good on the PS2, and then watching them look and run better on GC and Xbox only for the flaws to show so hard.

The GC having one new game every 3 months. The Xbox having one or two actually good games a year with bump mapping turned WAY too fucking high up. For awhile there it felt like finding diamonds in the rough.

Nairume

Banned
I am probably biased on personal experience, but I remember 2004 to 2009 to be pretty dull in terms of games, not bad games per say just lacking in innovation.
What?

We're talking about a period of time that saw the explosion of motion, mobile, touch, and casual gaming, all of which transformed the industry. Even if you want to point at all the lazy usages of those aspects of gaming, we still had an amazing amount of innovation made with what they brought to the table.

We saw music/rhythm games transform from niche score attack games to an insanely popular party experience (that only really went away due to extreme oversaturation and bad management by the two main franchises) due to a clever reconsideration of how that entire genre worked prior to that point in time.

We also saw other genres completely transform, while other genres shuffled to the forefront in popularity. It absolutely was a time for change and innovation.

LKSmash

2007 alone had:

- Mass Effect
- Modern Warfare
- Bioshock
- The Orange Box (Portal, TF2)
- Halo 3
- Rock Band
- The Witcher
- Assassins Creed
- Uncharted
- God of War 2

and a lot more .. and that's just 2007

2008:

• GTA IV
  • Fallout 3
  • Dead Space
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Braid
  • Gears of War 2
  • SSB Brawl
  • Valkyria Chronicles

Ehhhhh.

2004 had one of the craziest three months (oct-dec) in gaming:

GTA: San Andreas
Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Half Life 2
World of Warcraft
KOTOR 2
Paper Mario: TTYD
Ratchet & Clank 3

And, ehhh... the DS launch. And the PSP launch (in Japan).

Delusional speak.

2007 was the greatest year in gaming history.

The Orange box
Bioshock
Fable 2
PGR 4
Halo 3
Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Call of Duty 4
The witcher
Assasins creed

I probably forgotten a few

San Andreas
Fable
Halo 2
Chronicles of Riddick
MGS3
Knights of the old Republic 2
Burnout 3
Unreal Tournament
Splinter Cell pandora
Metroid prime 2

I'm sorry anybody calling these years dull was probably 5 at the time.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just a quick google...

Bioshock
Portal
Halo 3
Witcher
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Rock Band
Mass Effect

Oblivion
Bully
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Guitar Hero II
Ghost Recon
Final Fantasy XII

Indigo Prophecy
FEAR
Psychonauts
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Jade Empire
Call of Duty 2
The Warriors

World of Warcraft
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Fable
The Thousand Year Door
Katamari Damacy
City of Heroes

OP...I don't know what you were playing over those years. Maybe the thread could be retitled to "Hey I really need to post this VG Catz comic!"

Delusional speak.

2007 was the greatest year in gaming history.

The Orange box
Bioshock
Fable 2
PGR 4
Halo 3
Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Call of Duty 4
The witcher
Assasins creed

I probably forgotten a few

San Andreas
Fable
Halo 2
Chronicles of Riddick
MGS3
Knights of the old Republic 2
Burnout 3
Unreal Tournament
Splinter Cell pandora
Metroid prime 2

I'm sorry anybody calling these years dull was probably 5 at the time.

Boom.

Fucking golden age stuff here OP.

DrD

2004 was one of the best years in gaming ever. Just off the top of my head we had:

World of Warcraft
MGS3: Snake Eater
Half-Life 2
Halo 2
Ninja Gaiden
GTA: San Andreas
Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Metroid: Zero Mission
KOTOR
Jak 3
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Unreal Tournament 2004

The only year out of those that I'd say wasn't very good was 2008 since MGS4, GTA4, and Fallout 3 disappointed me.

Griss

For me it was 2009-2011 where it felt like we'd settled into the rut of brown cover shooters and military FPS's. Didn't help that the Wii fell off a cliff during that time.

The actual generational transition between 2005-2007 gave us all kinds of amazing new games.

AudioEppa

I just did a Google search of the games that came out between 04 and 09. OP, you're grounded from Gaf. Now log off.

But seriously without putting together a personal list of the games I liked from those years. Overall there was plenty of great choices. Some years more, some less. But that's how it goes. Dull? I disagree.

mdzapeer

From the perspective of coming off from the 90s and early 2000s ground breaking games. It just wasnt as big a leap, apart from few stand out titles for each year.

Also consider not everyone is a fan of a certain genre of game. Whenever thinking back to that time, there was an over-saturation of certain genres types mostly FPS or action adventure, with linear maps.

Consider God of War, I like the game, but I will only play it once, the combat is pretty basic, great set-pieces etc etc. But not much depth beyond that.

Also compare with 2015-2017 period, so many different games released in different genres.

These years were the rise of the blockbuster AAA gaming and the shrinking of the mid tier segment.

Wedzi

Banned
My only explanation is maybe op is really really into Japanese games and nothing else? 7th generation was weak in Japanese games compared to previous years.

Bgamer90

Banned
Just a quick google...

Bioshock
Portal
Halo 3
Witcher
Super Mario Galaxy
Uncharted
Rock Band
Mass Effect

Oblivion
Bully
Okami
Rainbow Six Vegas
Guitar Hero II
Ghost Recon
Final Fantasy XII

Indigo Prophecy
FEAR
Psychonauts
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Jade Empire
Call of Duty 2
The Warriors

World of Warcraft
GTA San Andreas
Half Life 2
Fable
The Thousand Year Door
Katamari Damacy
City of Heroes

Thanks for the list. It was a very solid period.

For me it was 2009-2011 where it felt like we'd settled into the rut of brown cover shooters and military FPS's. Didn't help that the Wii fell off a cliff during that time.

The actual generational transition between 2005-2007 gave us all kinds of amazing new games.

Exactly.

We got a shit ton of new ips like Gears, Uncharted, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Assasins Creed and Saints Row between those years.

The start of last gen was miles better than this gen.

No, that period is actually very significant:

Consoles became a household name with the 360 while the PS3 was something of a joke, a major turn-around from the previous generation, new technology and HD development saw increasing rise in development costs which led to the near disappearance of the mid tier/B budget developers and games, which then took several more years to become the today indie scene.

PC on the other hand saw the transformation of Steam from a hated piece of shit malware (because that's what it was back then) to much beloved DD platform. That transformation also brought back significant interest to the platform from developers and publishers that were on the verge of abandoning it.

GrayChild

I would agree for the period between 2008-2012. However the beginning of the previous generation was pretty good.

Tain

My only explanation is maybe op is really really into Japanese games and nothing else? 7th generation was weak in Japanese games compared to previous years.

I'd disagree with that, but it depends on what kinds of Japanese games you're into.

mdzapeer

That's quite true, I do enjoy Japanese games. But I also immensely enjoy western PC games for being deep and open-ended. Homeworld, Half-Life, Unreal, Quake, Starcraft II, Diablo 2. I missed out on CRPGs back then though :(

GamerJM

Banned
It was kind of a golden age IMO. The PS2's biggest years arguably, and handheld gaming saw significantly more support in that period. AAA felt novel and Nintendo started gen 7 with a bang.

when-someone-is-so-stupid-youve-literally-been-rendered-speechless.gif

This covers both some of the best days of PS2-gen and Nintendo DS-gen. I mean, as much as I hated PS360 prior to like 2010...

Calcaneus

I agree with this, the middle of last gen was a definite low point IMO. Not that there weren't good games coming out, but like you said it was the peak time for a type of big budget game that burned a lot of people out.

No need to regurgitate a list of games, as it's been well covered already, but no. That period spawned a series of mega-blockbuster franchises that been the backbone of the AAA industry ever since. I'd argue few, if any, new IPs this gen have reached the peak/popularity of what was produced in this time period.

A lot of games from that era never played as well as we made them sound like they did. I think a lot of questionable decisions were made in the most popular games out there, and then the less popular games copied that.

I love a lot of games from those years, but I don't think a lot of them are actually great today.

Edit: I misread 2006-2009. 04-05 were amazing. You are high fam.

I also had the entire library of 360 launch and 2 years in. Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo 3, Bioshock, Oblivion, PGR3, Condemned, GRAW, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Viva Pinata, Crackdown, Overlord, Blue Dragon, PGR4, Tomb Raider Legends and Anniversary, Naruto Rise of a Ninja, VF5, Assassin's Creed to name a few.

It was an amazing run of great games coming out anywhere.

I never even had a 360 but I can acknowledge what a crazy time 2005 - 2007 was for it. Halo 3's launch was one of the biggest events in gaming up to that point. And then on all consoles that was followed by The Orange Box, Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, and then the new year kicked off by Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and Grand Theft Auto IV. Hard-hitting game after hard-hitting game.

I didn't even notice the OP went up to 2009. Plenty of good stuff released in 08-09. Bayonetta, Mario Kart Wii, Persona 4, Pokemon Platinum, Klonoa, Rhythm Heaven, Bit Trip Runner, 999, Uncharted 2, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Wario Land Shake It, Mirror's Edge, Vesperia, Valkyria, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Street Fighter IV, Tekken 6, Metal Gear Solid 4, LittleBigPlanet... In retrospect last gen on home consoles isn't my favourite since there was a definite turning point where things started to get a bit ehhh for me, but those first few years paired with the end of the prior gen was strong as fuck. I'm barely even bringing the DS into the equation because there was an embarrassing amount of great stuff for it that I don't think I could even fit into one post. It's easy to shit on things like motion controls, touch, and the rhythm explosion in retrospect, but at the time, it was massive, revolutionary, and such a blast to be going through all that crazy new stuff in such a short time. It was an exciting time for the industry and one of the only gens where every single console did extremely well. Absolutely no way can you describe that as dull.

I'm curious as to what the OP finds so amazing about 2003 and 2010.

2010 actually was pretty good but 2003 was kinda blah.

man nah I don't see how you can lump 2004-2009 altogether like that. I think a couple years in there were a bit bland, but that's more a couple of years in there were kind of nuts. Even if the games didn't all age great (scrolling through some of these lists is making me realize how few games from this era I still revisit, admittedly), we had some incredible leaps in terms of how games are played. Early touch and motion, even if we've taken the former for granted and calmed considerably on the latter, completely shifted how things are today.

Top Bottom