• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it worth getting a Vita purely for at-home PS4 remote play?

NolbertoS

I love portability like thers no tomorrow, but remote play is garbage for me. Played in wi-fi heavy and non-wi-fi heavy zones and lag still sucks. At this stage i just hope more JRPG franchises jump ship to Switch. For now, Vita is just good for my Vita only library

It's not worth it if the vita will only be used as a remote play machine due to the lack of buttons. DS4 + phone/tablet like above would be much better. However the Vita has a good library of games and great sales every now and then.

You will need a decent router (not a modem/router combo) and a good wifi device.

Also it helps you will get a bunch of extra games every month with a Plus subscription.

Meffer

Not really, OP. The lack of L2R2 buttons and clickable sticks hurt and the back touchpanel isn't a good alternative.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Some games work really well, especially games that can remap controls. You can't remap the controls in the PS4 settings, but if you can do it in-game it'll work. I enjoy it.

There have been a few times where it drove me nuts. Playing Uncharted 4 I had to swap L1 and R1 for shooting just because I couldn't map L1 to aim, instead it had to be fire.

Prey has been the same way. I have to use the touch pad on the back to attack. Otherwise it has been fine.

I played Persona 5 with it and it was great. Especially if you have to sit and watch a show with the kid or your wife wants to use the TV.

One thing to note is if you have multiple PS4's in the house. The Vita can take one sign in to PSN and that has to be the account you use on your PS4. If you change your PS4 log in with all your saves you'll have to reset your Vita. Well, you get 1 reset on your Vita for so many months. I haven't done this, but I read about it and voted against it. It even has a warning when you want to reset your Vita to change your PSN credentials.

I'd say you'll really enjoy it when it works. The touch pads on the back are my only downside. Some games make it work while others it's just hard to get to use to. There are some unofficial add-ons that help, but I only have the trigger case for R1/L1.

What helps me is that I have a ton of PSP, Vita, and PSN downloads. I get a lot out of it. I dislike not having a lot of space on my micro SD card. I own two of them, but they aren't big and one I keep in my PS TV.

I'd say you'll like it, but I'll just warn you about the triggers. You might want the add-on just in case (I don't even know if they work that great). Unless I'm hearing other people talk about it and I haven't researched it. :(

If you're really looking for a work around a busy schedule then go ahead and get one. I really enjoy my Vita.

Note: plug your PS4 into the router and don't go wifi with your console during remote play.

You could always play on your PC and I saw this video the other day where someone ran a screenshare program from their PC to their smart phone and played that way. TeamView, so there might be other ways to play. The internet connection has to be good though. I have cable and I have it plugged in from the router and it works for me.

I say yes. But I've had great experiences with RP. Doesn't work for some games very well, but there are plenty games its great with.

Kuro

Only if you plan on playing turn based RPGs or puzzle games or something. There is enough input lag where a racing game or FPS is unplayable but not enough to mess up enjoyment of something like Persona or FFXIV

Arttemis

Your girlfriend's situation is exactly what local Remote Play was made for. Get a Vita and a case with triggers and she's good to go.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I've played games like Strider with little lag with remote play (wired PS4, through router) but then other times it's poorly performing. So it may turn out that it's just not good enough depending on distance and 2.4ghz signal quality.

KyleCross

No. It just isn't good for it. While remote playing Overwatch all I could do is play as Torbjorn and hammer on a turret. Forget aiming.

Also those L2/R2 grips are worthless because most games post 2014 stopped mapping the L2/R2 buttons to the back touchpad but instead the front screen with no remapping option.

Moofers

Depends on what you want to play, OP. Persona 5 is awesome via remote play and I use it maybe 30% of the time I play. It's wonderful.

However, something like a shooter with intensive use of the L2/R2 buttons might not pan out so well. The rear touch controls make a poor substitute for proper triggers, but not every game uses them so it's really a case by case thing.

Personally remote play has always felt pretty bad to me. Maybe one of those grips would work but the touchscreen solutions feel like a kludge.

jackal27

Banned
It's my main way of playing Persona 5, but you can also stream on an Android device like the GPD XD or the Nvidia Shield as well.

Yes

Playing Persona 5 on it and pretending it's a Switch. Awesome. Fucking awesome

That being said the range is shit and I've never gotten it to work through the internet. So I can only ever use remote play in my bedroom.

Still bad ass though. Persona 5 looks great on the Vita

You may want to try disabling the connect directly option in the remote play settings on your PS4 (if it isn't already). If your PS4 is wired it may help with your range issues when at home.

ghibli99

I really don't like it due to lack of actual L2/L3 & R2/R3 buttons, and the analogs are pretty terrible IMO too. While I do have a Vita already, I bought an ultrabook with remote play as one of the things I wanted it for the most, and I'm glad I did. Might not be as portable as a Vita, but using a real DS4 and having a much bigger display more than makes up for it. That's just me though. I know everyone's situation/applications are different.

coopolon

It's my main way of playing Persona 5, but you can also stream on an Android device like the GPD XD or the Nvidia Shield as well.

A recent update broke this ability to android devices not Sony made (I guess there is a way that involves rooting and tricking the software).

Playing all the Kingdom Hearts games on the PS4 via the newest collection played through ALL of ReChain of Memories and at the last world on Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix all on remote play it's amazing i'd have to say totally worth.

jackal27

Banned
A recent update broke this ability to android devices not Sony made (I guess there is a way that involves rooting and tricking the software).

Doesn't involve rooting. Every update breaks it and you just have to get the updated version of the vpk. This is how I play on my Nvidia Shield.

j0hnnix

How does everyone have there network setup? Direct connect gives latency, internet gives latency.. really no way I can do this through WiFi. My pro is 5ghz and has 140mb down and 30mb up but the Vita is meh.. with 3.7mb down and maybe 2mb up.

Also, Has anyone tried BB on it? How did you configure the Hori grip..

Why PS4 games?

She doesn't like the Vita native games? Judging from her taste, there are some gems on the Vita worth pursuing:

- Tearaway
- Rayman Origins
- Machinarium
- Severed
- Oddworld
- LBP

Plus some classic PS1 platformers.

sense

Did dungeon runs for persona 5 with vita remote play. That was awesome. If there was r2/l2 I would play more games instead of back touch which sucks but persona 5 barely needs it.

Ashby

Router's in my bedroom. PS4's in the basement. Remote Play works amazing via my Macbook Air. Been great playing Nier comfy in bed. Thinking I'm gonna get another DS4 just to have one at the ready upstairs.

Top Bottom