• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nicki Minaj the Most Talented Artist of the 21st Century?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drencrom

Which when you get down to it, probably stems from "why aren't predominately white male musical genres like rock popular anymore"

That's quite some extrapolation, but sure, make this stupid rhetoric that 12-year old pseudo intellectuals throw out on youtube about racism.

That's quite some extrapolation, but sure, make this stupid rhetoric that 12-year old pseudo intellectuals throw out on youtube about racism.

Yea because that youtube comment rhetoric never has racism in it.

0b8cb635635ad718f486c8d80e0932a3.gif

Not

Banned

Stupid, 12-year-old, Pseudo, YouTube

Man, they're playing all the hits tonight

Is Led Zeppelin like a white supremacist band? Did I miss something?

The phrase "dog whistle" exists for a reason. Lately most people aren't overt. Though that's quickly changing now that we elected a racist guy to symbolize the Western world.

EDIT: I'm not saying LZ is covertly racist, I'm saying the people comparing their lyrics to rap lyrics are.

Which when you get down to it, probably stems from "why aren't predominately white male musical genres like rock popular anymore"

rock and roll was originally a black genre. Led zeppelin especially is notorious for ripping off black blues and rock artists

Permanently A

This image makes light of the incredibly profound and allochromatic lyrics of "Bicycle Race" by Queen. In my opinion, this is a grave error and depicts a profound lack of understanding and imagination in the image creator's mind. Considering the following. First, Prince states the object of his affections thrice.

/bicycle bicycle bicycle/

The use of repetition is deliberate, in order to evoke feelings of wonder and amazement, as a small child might feel when seeing a toy they desperately crave, or a grown man might experience upon seeing his future wife. In the second line Prince boldly makes his claim -

/I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle./

Notice that he has ownership of said bicycle. This indicates that despite maintaining ownership, he has not lost interest of the bicycle and continues to maintain as much love and affection for it as the day he first saw it. Considering that this song is about love and affections, its clear that the bicycle is a stand in for a romantic partner. It is important to note Prince's sexuality, and that rather that bending the song to reference a woman instead of a man, it was preferable for the romantic partner to instead be a genderless inanimate object. A pity considering that we will never see the true intent behind this song that we would have seen if Prince weren't constrained by societal forces, but that is a criticism for another time. "I want to ride" is of course a sexual euphemism declaring Prince's utmost desire to have intercourse with said partner. Repetition is again utilized to emphasize Prince's strong feelings for his partner, as though they were as lovely as they first time Prince was struck by these emotions. Most regrettably, something unfortunate happens in the following lines.

/I want to ride my bicycle/

This is the post coital haze. His sexual wanderlust having been sated, Prince no longer values his partner as fanatically as he initially did. The near fanatical obsession he had with his boyfriend is now absent, as the lack of repetition implies.

/I want to ride my bike/

Even more regrettably, Prince's romantic partner now holds so little importance to him that he refuses to waste his breath. Having gotten what he wanted from him, Prince now refers to the partner he once so affectionately and doggedly courted has been reduced to a harsh and monosyllable. Were the hook to end hear, we might consider Prince a remarkably bitter person with a caustically cynical outlook on human sexuality. However, Prince shies away from this ideology with his final line.

/I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like/

Here, the partner is again being referred to by his full name, but no longer with the gusto of repetition that it once was. "ride it where I like" refers to holy matrimony. In the end the song "Bicycle Race" tells a modern tale of human romance. Prince is enraptured by his partner and doggedly lusts after him. But after the high of sexual intercourse, Prince finds himself aloof and flippant, brushing his new partner off. After some time passes, Prince realizes the error of his ways. Despite no longer feeling as taken as he once did, he refers to his partner by his full name again and is willing to settle down with him. Overall, "Bicycle Race" is a melancholic and bitter interpretation of humanity's lust, but does balance the palette of such a message by stating that humanity's romance and affection can overcome such lust.

This "Kenya West" song isn't even worth interpreting. There is no subtlety to the delivery. All potential symbolism has been stripped away in favor of a naked and laughable attempt at contemporary relativity.

Clefargle

Nah,

My uncle is more talented, plays 27 instruments

is also prolly a white supremacists so yeah...talent doesn't redeem everything

I hate this image. It's basically trying to insinuate on some dog whistle shit that white people are more intelligent and thus make more complicated music. FOH

That really doesn't hold up well when you look at the origins of blues/jazz which LZ is heavily influence by.

I never said that racists haven't used it ever. Only that I personally mostly just seen kids use it because "old music is sooo much better than Justin Bieber and the Jonas Brothers".

I guess you personally glanced over the racial undertones or outright declarations of inferiority made by comments.

That really doesn't hold up well when you look at the origins of blues/jazz which LZ is heavily influence by.

Edge lords on the internet tend not to care about historical context. Anything will be used as a dog whistle if it serves the purpose.

Ryuuroden

I don't know. Is George W Bush the most talented painter of war veterans in the 21st century?

Thats how inane this question is to me...

Drencrom

Stupid, 12-year-old, Pseudo, YouTube

Man, they're playing all the hits tonight.

They? Not sure what you're getting at. All I'm saying is that I think that attributing the rhetoric that "old music is better than modem music" simply to racism isn't true.

I've never seen that person in my life and only vaguely recall hearing the name. I'm so glad I've disconnected myself from television and radio (other than npr).

I guess you personally glanced over the racial undertones or outright declarations of inferiority made by comments.

Edge lords on the internet tend not to care about historical context. Anything will be used as a dog whistle if it serves the purpose.

They don't have to care, but it's undeniable and makes the intended offense moot.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This thread is so full of bait coming from OP and other posters a mod should rename the title to Chum Bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom