• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Nintendo Making A New Wii U GamePad?!?!? Video Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomblord1

Banned
Excuse my quick hack job but look more closely.

See here I outlined his hands the crook of his hand is right where it needs to be there's a harsh white outline that sort of fades into the background that's the rest of the pad.

point2oa53.png

Unless his left hand is barely touching the gamepad and the right side is considerably thicker than the left.

It's just the blur plus a harsh glare on the right side of the gamepad making it look smaller.

They probably will update the system at some point to make it cheaper to produce, but I doubt this is it. Why in the world would Nintendo have something that probably isn't even in production on set with some people for a commercial.

Ugh...I am just about to buy a WiiU, the target special next week, but I don't want to get stuck with old hardware right before they update.

Questioning whether I should I wait now.

This is the regular gamepad. No hint of a remodel. Just buy your Wii U and enjoy!

Kilau

Gold Member
This is the regular gamepad. No hint of a remodel. Just buy your Wii U and enjoy!

Yeah it's probably just the blur and whatever angle effects going on. I can't really think of a time where Nintendo improved upon their consoles actually, they typically remove features instead.

They do obviously improve the portable systems, so I could see them doing something to try to make the gamepad more enticing.

Artorias

Banned
That is most certainly not the standard Gamepad. Wether that means they are about to market a new one or not remains to be seen, but the people discounting this as blur, glare or whatever are ridiculous.

Blur does not make objects physically smaller.

HUELEN10

Here is one more thing that I find interesting.

With taking angle into account, the dimensions of the thickness of the top bezel is around 15 points, and the screen to the edge is around 70.

When taking an actual gamepad skewed the same way, the top bezel is 44 points and the edge is 100.

The bezels are completely different, top and side, in a way that even with skewing wouldn't explain.
That is most certainly not the standard Gamepad. Wether that means they are about to market a new one or not remains to be seen, but the people discounting this as blur, glare or whatever are ridiculous.

That and the math don't lie. Fuckup, prop, or new controller, it's definitely not a regular skewed GamePad.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
If this is indeed true, it's a big step in the right direction.

As cozy as the current GamePad may be, it's not... aesthetically pleasing. This looks far more in-line with the tablets on the market right now. This looks more appealing to the mainstream consumer.

EDIT: time to scour Nintendo's patents, yes? Who knows what we may find.

Persona7

Banned
I'd be shocked if Nintendo were investing any more R&D money into the Wii U. They might as well just set the cash on fire.

I can see them doing that if they can save a significant amount of money on production until they discontinue the system by slightly changing things or going with a different producer.

Artorias

Banned
I'd be shocked if Nintendo were investing any more R&D money into the Wii U. They might as well just set the cash on fire.

It makes sense to me if they plan to support the console a few more years. I love what the gamepad represents, but I can't stand its shape and overall size. I only pick it up when directed to by a game. I don't think my hands are small, so I can't imagine how uncomfortable it is for a child.

HUELEN10

lzUzgrD.jpg

Here is the Wii U logo highlighted in case my explanation was a bit to convoluted.

But yeah, at this point on further inspection, I don't think it's a regular GamePad, but I'm not saying it's a New GamePad either; most likely scenario is a skewed prop fuckup and not mere blur.

HoJu

why would they show the new gamepad in a commercial before announcing the new gamepad?

pretty sure the marketing people are separate from the Nintendo people. why would they give them the new gamepad for mario kart 8 commercial?
if the commercial was released earlier than it was supposed to, why wasn't there a more detailed look a the new gamepad?

also, why would they make a new gamepad?

I'm not really sure why Nintendo would bother sneaking in an unannounced gamepad revision into one second of a mario kart 8 commercial.

So I'm going to go with probably not

gerg

If Nintendo were making a new gamepad why would they sneak it into an advert before officially announcing it?

VT_Brian

Neo Member
It's probably the reflection but that does look brighter than usual.

An editing error would be my guess as well. They probably filmed the commercial without the gamepad screen being on or something like that. Then, when they went to edit in the direct captured gamepad footage into the commercial, someone couldn't tell where the edges of the screen ended possibly due to it being out of focus, resulting in overlaying the gamepad footage bigger than it should have been.

Kyou

Man I've seen reaching before but geez.

Nintendo exec: We need to hint at a new gamepad
Production guy: Why
Nintendo exec: Shut up we just do. Let's stick the new gamepad in but only for one two second shot
Production guy: How about this heavily composited first person shot? It'll be blurred to shit
Nintendo exec: Brilliant!

Nintendo exec: Shut up we just do. Let's stick the new gamepad in but only for one two second shot
Production guy: How about this heavily composited first person shot? It'll be blurred to shit

Those sneaky bastards

vazel

Banned

It can appear that way when the blur makes surrounding colors bleed in.

i wouldn't be surprised if nintendo would do this

Who

Banned

When attempting to decode Nintendo logic, there is no reaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom