• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony missing the point of hardware upgrades?

Lady Gaia

Sorry for my earlier comment which sounded insensitive, I used the term as in "backwards" but will be more careful next time.

Thank you for your thoughtful response. This world is a better place when we take feedback positively and do our best to be compassionate. Heaven knows I've used insensitive terminology before without meaning to and I'm always glad when someone lets me know.

But this is now the iterative console model, and if you are doing it, at least do it right. Since majority of PS4's library is multi-platform and already runs in a myriad of different configurations, and that Sony requires patches for all software and not just their shiny exclusives potentially "coded to the cycle" - which STILL doesn't make sense btw

I think you're missing the much more likely situation. It's unlikely that there are cycle accurate requirements for the code, and much more likely that code simply ships with undiscovered bugs. No software project of any scale is bug-free so you prioritize the worst ones during development to hit your schedule. Nobody has time to worry about problems that might theoretically occur if the GPU was suddenly more than twice as fast, and this has nothing to do with coding to the metal. If you start two tasks, one CPU bound and one GPU bound and they always complete in the same order during development and testing you'll never find out what happens when that's no longer the case.

Sony requires a patch not because code needs to be significantly reworked. In some cases a developer could probably submit a "patch" with no changes except in meta-data indicating that it's Pro enhanced. What's important is that the submission indicates that the developer and publisher sign off on their testing, and that this starts Sony's own certification process which now includes testing on PS4 Pro hardware that it didn't originally.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Lady Gaia said:
much more likely that code simply ships with undiscovered bugs.
That's is exactly it - and software on the scale of mainstream games usually ships with plenty of hidden bugs like this, that potentially never get fixed, or even discovered.

What's important is that the submission indicates that the developer and publisher sign off on their testing, and that this starts Sony's own certification process which now includes testing on PS4 Pro hardware that it didn't originally.
While that's a big part of it - it's pretty safe to assume you require a recompile against a more recent SDK revision to get features enabled reliably. Unless multi-format support was part of the SDKs all along...

The math is in the article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...tation-4-pro-how-sony-made-a-4k-games-machine

Sony showed 13 games on Pro. 9 uses checkerboard.

4 of them render at twice 1080p: Horizon, COD, Days Gone, Tomb Raider (I shall correct myself here, I though Tomb Raider was ones that didn't hit that target) and checkerboard is applied to 4k.

The other 5 renders at 1800p (Watch Dogs 2, Killing Floor 2, Infamous, Mass Effect Andromeda and Deus Ex) and they are scaled to 2160p (twice 1080p) or in the case of Deus Ex it uses dynamic res from 1800 to 2160p and upscaling when the result when below that target, and once upscaled to 2160p checkerboard is applied to achieve 4k.

So most games using checkerboard are not rendering at 2160p the required resolution for achieving 4K with the tech.

The other 4 games (that are not using checkerboard) are scalling directly, but he never says the exact resolution save for Paragon that is going from 1080p to 4K (and 1080p also isn't double the resolution of the 900p Ps4 version has)

Why have you excluded the numerous games we know render in native 4K or otherwise use a higher than 2x1080p res? You claimed that most Pro optimized games were less than double 1080p. If you don't artificially constrain your accounting to checkerboard games shown at a single event that's clearly unsubstantiated.

kitch9

Banned
Having owned a 60 inch 4k TV for last 3 months I'm still not convinced that 4k is not well past the point of hugely diminished / no return for any viewing distance.

I think Sonys implementation is interesting and I still think native 4k is a massive waste of gpu cycles in these times of limited gpu availability.

Even with the extra horsepower supposedly available to Scorpio, Ms would be stupid to force native 4k as it would be merely a marketing bullet point and nothing more than a complete waste of cycles.

Why have you excluded the numerous games we know render in native 4K or otherwise use a higher than 2x1080p res? You claimed that most Pro optimized games were less than double 1080p. If you don't artificially constrain your accounting to checkerboard games shown at a single event that's clearly unsubstantiated.

The fact he doesn't recognise 2160p and 4K as being the same thing is more telling of his train of thought.

The work Lukas has put into this thread, downplaying the facts, speaks volumes.

Top Bottom