• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Steins;Gate coming to consoles? (Speculations/El Psy Congroo/Don't get hype)

krYlon

I'm surprised the iOS version hasn't been translated yet (officially).

I'm still holding out hope that the Vita will become a VN machine. It's perfect for it. I mean I'm sure it is already in Japan, but we need more localisations in the west.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Count me in for wanting this on Vita. So used to VN-style games on portable devices that it feels like a better fit. Would enjoy playing this so I can see what they did differently compared to the anime.

Thank you for answering!
And in vita and ps3 we have all those 3 games but obviously only in japanese? It would be very nice from them to bring us these three games in english for console don't matter which one for me.
Yeah, all 3 are on Xbox 360, PS3, and Vita in Japanese. The first two are also on iOS, and the first one is on Android.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
5pb. isn't allowing it, allegedly because they have their own digital distribution service they're pushing (even though it's completely irrelevant in the West...)

Do we have any confirmation about this? 5pb does have a game called Constant C on Steam. Maybe it's an issue of whether JAST gets royalties for the Steam version or 5pb themselves. My guess is that this announcement is for a euro PC version. Vita version would be an instant import, region-free ftw.

Do we have any confirmation about this? 5pb does have a game called Constant C on Steam. Maybe it's an issue of whether JAST gets royalties for the Steam version or 5pb themselves. My guess is that this announcement is for a euro PC version. Vita version would be an instant import, region-free ftw.
Actually, if I recall, the deal with Constant C was that 5pb. published the console versions worldwide, whereas the original release on Steam didn't involve them. I do think I remember reading about the digital distribution issue for Steins;Gate from someone in the know, but maybe that was speculation on their part.

And speaking about information from people in the know, a few days ago I asked one of the Steins;Gate translators
on 4chan
about who owns the English translation, and he said that he thinks the contract said that 5pb. could use the translation for other platforms without paying JAST royalties, but that JAST had the distribution rights (for the PC version, I assume). So maybe that means console is more likely as far as this rumor is concerned.

Edit: Here's the exact quote.
Reading Steiner said:
If I'm remembering right, JAST has the rights to western distribution. But part of the deal we made with 5pb allows them to use our translation for any future ports they may choose without them needing to pay any form of royalty.

Firestar

My first thought was that there's no way JAST wouldn't want in on this and let this be marketed for europe first. But, if what Reading Steiner said is true (and I assume it probably is) then having a localized console version from another company is actually a real possibility.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe Aksys? I mean, they did release Xblaze, another VN, & they did put out a survey/poll on if people wanted to see more VNs.

Heck, I'd be fine if it was digital-only. It'd be amazing if we got a console version with cross-save with Vita so you could continue where you left off on the go.

t26

5bp. has no problem if someone is willing to localize and release it on console. They allow tecmo koei to release Chinese version on PS3 and xbox 360

AFAIK: PQube owns Rice Digital, and they tend to call any of their Facebook pages as "Official X Community". I'll put good money on this being a pre-announcement post of them releasing Steins;Gate Vita (via JAST's translation. AFAIK, the Xbone Steins;Gate game is actually a new game in the series, and subsequently wouldn't be translated yet. Or, more to the point, released in Japan).

It would make sense after they lost their Arc and Marvellous deals that they would go for something else. Afterall, a publisher can't subsist on bike and rally games alone, right?

[Edit] If 5pb gets the English translation royalty free, then it's deffo going to be Steins;Gate Vita.

Maybe Aksys? I mean, they did release Xblaze, another VN, & they did put out a survey/poll on if people wanted to see more VNs.

Heck, I'd be fine if it was digital-only. It'd be amazing if we got a console version with cross-save with Vita so you could continue where you left off on the go.
I wouldn't be surprised if 5pb. works with XSEED for North America, they already have good relations from Corpse Party, after all.

If it does turn out to be Steins;Gate Vita, I would expect PQube to try to release it in both Europe and North America, and cut any of the usual localisation suspects out.

This means retail version in Europe, digital only in NA, as with their bike games.

I'd be most excited to play the 8-bit, PC-88-style demake of Steins;Gate, because I'm nerdy like that. Problem is that it's a text adventure for keyboard users; has anyone translated the PC version of the demake?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Think there's a chance that they could release those two other S;G games over here if the original (regardless of system) does well? I think both Hiyoku Renri no Darling & Senkei Kousoku no Phenogram were console exclusives from what I'm seeing. Kind of hope if the original can hit Vita & sells well enough, it'll lead to the others getting localized as well.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'd be most excited to play the 8-bit, PC-88-style demake of Steins;Gate, because I'm nerdy like that. Problem is that it's a text adventure for keyboard users; has anyone translated the PC version of the demake?

It does have one, I participated in a livedub of it a few years back.

As for the regular game, I'm still holding out for that Steam release snag to resolve itself. Don't want to support stubbornness.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Every visual novel ever should be on the Vita, it's the perfect device to play those kind of games.
Agreed. Being able to just put the handheld in sleep mode & pick up right from where I was is perfect for VNs since it acts as a bookmark, and while I can say the same for the 3DS, the Vita's wider screen & higher resolution gives it the advantage.

kewlmyc

Still need to get the PC release. Wish it would be released on Steam.

Also wish the Psycho-Pass visual novel would get released here.

Well, this is interesting. Has the game been released on PC in EU? Might just be an EU release teaser, but would be nice if this confirmed consoles.

I think JAST considers their PC release worldwide (though it's only ESRB-rated). They probably have full distribution rights for it in the West, too, if I understood correctly.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now the question is if they'll bother with physical copies &/or if they'll be limited, should it actually hit consoles.

Prelude.

The Facebook page received another post.
Holy fuck I hope they actually read that article because if it's just for the EU PC version they're trolling super hard.

Now the question is if they'll bother with physical copies &/or if they'll be limited, should it actually hit consoles.
For some reason small companies can print physical copies and be profitable while huge publishers can't, so, maybe?

Voliko

Meh, it already had an English release on PC, with a dope Special Edition. Releasing on consoles isn't interesting in the least. I would love to play the spin-offs though.

Meh, it already had an English release on PC, with a dope Special Edition. Releasing on consoles isn't interesting in the least. I would love to play the spin-offs though.

I've got news for you, the spin-offs (and most of the other games in the series) are console-exclusive, and it doesn't look like they're ever going to be on PC. This is the first step if we want to play the other games.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Also the console versions actually use HD assets. 720p on the 360 and 1080p on PS3 while the PC release is 576p.
I'd play it on Vita, but not any other system. VN's are really meant for handheld consumption.

Thats actually the last place I'd play S;G I wouldn't rebuy it on Vita or 3DS so what it's meant for is subjective.

OMG guys, have you seen the latest tweet from pqube?

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/542265911995297792

I believe that this is a pretty interesting clue and yes voliko speak for yourself since I'm super excited if we can play this on english and console.

Omgitshappening.

I hope there's a Vita version in any form. PQube supported the console pretty well early in its life, I so I just pray they haven't written it off yet!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, I'm convinced it's happening. Now we just have to wait for them to officially confirm it.

Hopefully the sales will be good enough to warrant bringing the other games over.

Flandy

OMG guys, have you seen the latest tweet from pqube?

https://twitter.com/PQubeGames/status/542265911995297792

I believe that this is a pretty interesting clue and yes voliko speak for yourself since I'm super excited if we can play this on english and console.

ron-paul.gif

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/is-steins-gate-coming-to-console-in-europe/ has been updated with more evidence.

In addition to the posts on Facebook and Twitter, the Facebook page has been updated to pictures from the visual novel rather than the anime, and while this wasn't stated in the article, they also changed the page description:
The official community for the English version of Stein's Gate, the critically acclaimed Visual Novel coming in 2015!
I still wonder why people make the "Stein's Gate" mistake so often...

They also responded to Rice Digital's questions with this image: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Untitled.png

That image seems pretty close to 720p...
Edit: Actually, that's probably irrelevant because they seem to have hacked that image together with a screenshot from the anime... what? Well, like I was thinking before, it's possible they don't actually have a copy of the game yet to grab screenshots from.

blacksark

http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/is-steins-gate-coming-to-console-in-europe/ has been updated with more evidence.

In addition to the posts on Facebook and Twitter, the Facebook page has been updated to pictures from the visual novel rather than the anime, and while this wasn't stated in the article, they also changed the page description:

The official community for the English version of Stein's Gate, the critically acclaimed Visual Novel coming in 2015!

They also responded to Rice Digital's questions with this image: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Untitled.png

That image seems pretty close to 720p...

I believe that although there is nothing confirmed yet there are few things left other than confirming it and saying platforms and editions.

Yasumi

Banned
Finished my PC playthrough not too long ago, but I'll play it again if this turns out to be a handheld release.

Voliko

I've got news for you, the spin-offs (and most of the other games in the series) are console-exclusive, and it doesn't look like they're ever going to be on PC. This is the first step if we want to play the other games.
That is very true. Hopefully this leads to a partnership or the possibility of more 5pb VNs being localized, particularly the console exclusives. The console exclusivity thing kind of reminds of Falcom's shift away from PC, I don't like it :( Makes it harder for fan translations to even be possible.

If Aksys is the publisher and this release does well I could see some of the spinoffs coming over. They even released that shitty Hakuoki spinoff on psp. Along with some of the ports

The product itself isn't interesting to me having already played the PC ver. Higher resolution assets are practically a non factor with VNs, to me atleast. I hope everyone who hasn't played it gets it, but they should have already played the PC version ;)

Top Bottom