• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Steins;Gate coming to consoles? (Speculations/El Psy Congroo/Don't get hype)

Yuuichi

This news intrigues me for several reasons, especially regarding the confines of JAST's contract for the game. I'm gonna have some interesting questions for Payne if this goes through.

If the collectors editions are nice, I'll buy them.

ss-hikaru

Oh wow oh wow oh wow. I was really interested in this and WAS gonna buy it on PC but then thought who am I kidding? I'm never gonna play a game sitting in front of my computer :( DEFINITE buy if for Vita!

cj_iwakura

I'd guess Aksys is the one publishing it in North America and we're days away from another Amazon leak.

I tried the Vita version briefly thanks to a JPSN+ promo... was not impressed by the audio, it was very low.

Of course maybe I just had no idea how to change the settings, heh.

Either way, great news. The more the merrier.

They need to get this on Steam though. 5pb can't be that ignorant of Falcom's success.

Gamerloid

Just finished my second viewing of the anime! I'm game if it has a Platinum Trophy and if it'll encourage other VNs like Umineko to come over.

Prelude.

Is the story better than Chaos;Head? Against my better judgement, I watched the anime and couldn't bring myself to finish it. All the "Di-Swordo" bullshit got to me very fast. Not even a small fraction as good as S;G.

I've only watched the anime of C;H and R;N but yes, C;H is complete trash, R;N is kind of disappointing since it felt pretty rushed but I still enjoyed it. And Frau Kojiro a best. The C;H VN should be pretty good though, as far as I know.

Although I read that they re-worked the plot for R;N Elite on Vita so it's supposed to be a little bit different from the original work.

Is the story better than Chaos;Head? Against my better judgement, I watched the anime and couldn't bring myself to finish it. All the "Di-Swordo" bullshit got to me very fast. Not even a small fraction as good as S;G.

I played both VN's and I liked Steins;Gate much, much better than Chaos;Head (edit: Just realized you're talking about R;N. Haven't played that one sadly). I don't think Chaos;Head was bad though, it does a lot of things very differently, and it's a very unique experience.

But I agree I thought the D-sword thing was silly.

I never watched the Chaos;Head anime because I heard it was horrible compared to the VN (as you guys are saying). I've heard similar things (though less extreme) about Robotics;Notes but I don't know how long I can wait for a possible PC port so that it can get fan translated. I doubt it will ever get localized on console at this point.

Recompose

Neo Member
This will be an instant purchase if it does end up getting localized for the Vita.

I do already have the PC version, but it's unopened and it'll probably stay that way since I picked it up mostly for collection purposes. S;G is one of my favorites things to exist ever, so I'm completely okay with buying another version of the same game.

cj_iwakura

I've only watched the anime of C;H and R;N but yes, C;H is complete trash, R;N is kind of disappointing since it felt pretty rushed but I still enjoyed it. And Frau Kojiro a best. The C;H VN should be pretty good though, as far as I know.

Although I read that they re-worked the plot for R;N Elite on Vita so it's supposed to be a little bit different from the original work.

I've heard you really can't judge C;H off of the anime.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recall people saying Chaos;Head the VN is MUCH better than the anime. I tried watching the anime, but good lord, it probably had to be one of the most boring animes I ever watch. Hell, I stopped right before the final episode because I just didn't care.

Yuuichi

I'm not sure I've shared my thoughts on C;H, so here goes.

It's fucking weird as hell. I played it not too long after coming off of Saya which probably didn't help, but C;H is a strange, kind of needlessly complex game that mostly succeeds at what it's trying to do. Lots of the elements
namely d-swords or whatever they're called
don't really make a whole lot of sense and better execution could have made a truly amazing game. It's worth at least a play in my opinion, but it's not worth any more than like 3000円.

I also still have no idea years later what the fuck happened in the last hour, despite reading plot summaries.

I'm not sure I've shared my thoughts on C;H, so here goes.

It's fucking weird as hell. I played it not too long after coming off of Saya which probably didn't help, but C;H is a strange, kind of needlessly complex game that mostly succeeds at what it's trying to do. Lots of the elements
namely d-swords or whatever they're called
don't really make a whole lot of sense and better execution could have made a truly amazing game. It's worth at least a play in my opinion, but it's not worth any more than like 3000円.

I also still have no idea years later what the fuck happened in the last hour, despite reading plot summaries.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate description of it. One thing to note is that the console versions (called Chaos;Head Noah) are sort of a "director's cut" which add character routes that explore things even more, plus the true ending is apparently a bit different than the PC version, too.

You didn't hear this from me, but
the fan translators who worked on the official translation for Steins;Gate are working on the scripts for Noah [REDACTED], and plan to approach publishers first rather than just release it into the wild like other fan projects.

Yeah, I think that's a pretty accurate description of it. One thing to note is that the console versions (called Chaos;Head Noah) are sort of a "director's cut" which add character routes that explore things even more, plus the true ending is apparently a bit different than the PC version, too.

You didn't hear this from me, but
the fan translators who worked on the official translation for Steins;Gate are working on the scripts for Noah [REDACTED], and plan to approach publishers first rather than just release it into the wild like other fan projects.

Again? Even after the first disaster with C;H?

Yuuichi

What happened?

Well they took down the (beta) translation because JAST and 5PB and it's a long ass complicated story in that it eventually went nowhere and it's forever in limbo.

I think I still have a copy of the patch laying around somewhere. Maybe.

Again? Even after the first disaster with C;H?
Are you talking about how the TLWiki translation project for Chaos;Head (and the beginnings of a PC port of Noah) was halted because of JAST's deal with Nitro+? That sort of seems like a different situation, because in this case they're actually translating the entire game first (and I think rhe TLWiki project had a different team as well). If Steins;Gate is really coming out on consoles, they should have some obvious publishers to approach with their translation.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I was wondering if they were leaving all that work to just rot away from the fan PC port of Noah. It seemed like they got pretty far before the licensing deal.

Also no one seems to have the more complete beta translation of Chaos;Head I originally played which is odd.

Yuuichi

Are you talking about how the TLWiki translation project for Chaos;Head (and the beginnings of a PC port of Noah) was halted because of JAST's deal with Nitro+? That sort of seems like a different situation, because in this case they're actually translating the entire game first (and I think rhe TLWiki project had a different team as well). If Steins;Gate is really coming out on consoles, they should have some obvious publishers to approach with their translation.

All of C;H IS translated, I'm pretty sure I have the patch to prove it. It got shut down after a few beta releases because of the N+ deal which then never seemed to go anywhere (we did get S;G eventually... for whatever that counts for) which angered a whole host of people. Fan translation is paralegal enough as is, and it just gets worse the second real companies get involved most of the time. If you want me to go really in depth on this topic I can, I just don't have the time right now.

Also no one seems to have the more complete beta translation of Chaos;Head I originally played which is odd.
I think I have it in one of two places, I can actually check tomorrow night because break started today.

I was wondering if they were leaving all that work to just rot away from the fan PC port of Noah. It seemed like they got pretty far before the licensing deal.
From what I've heard so far, the potential PC port isn't involved at all in this new effort.

Edit:
All of C;H IS translated, I'm pretty sure I have the patch to prove it. It got shut down after a few beta releases because of the N+ deal which then never seemed to go anywhere (we did get S;G eventually... for whatever that counts for) which angered a whole host of people. Fan translation is paralegal enough as is, and it just gets worse the second real companies get involved most of the time. If you want me to go really in depth on this topic I can, I just don't have the time right now.

I think I have it in one of two places, I can actually check tomorrow night because break started today.

Chaos;Head Noah is certainly not translated. The main route is, I suppose, but that could also use a retranslation.

Yuuichi

Oh nice! I've never seen it online since the take down and it was just the previous patch that was released floating around.

It's still one of the beta patches but last time I played it I remembered it translating the whole thing. It's not like I have anything new but I know it was the last one ever put out.

If I was talking about Noah I'd address it as such.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Oh I wasn't talking about Noah at all I don't even think there was a public patch except just looking at the SVN for translated/edited CGs and scripts. (Noah)

It's still one of the beta patches but last time I played it I remembered it translating the whole thing. It's not like I have anything new but I know it was the last one ever put out.

If I was talking about Noah I'd address it as such.
Oh, I see, I wasn't trying to imply that the entire PC version wasn't translated, just that the project was taken down.

Yuuichi

I have no idea what game we're even talking about anymore and I need to go catch a bus or I can't eat so ヽ(´ー`)ノ.

I probably have a patch for Chaos;Head that translates everything.

I heard murmurs of a Noah project at one point (it's been like a year), but I wasn't aware a patch actually ever existed.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I have no idea what game we're even talking about anymore and I need to go catch a bus or I can't eat so ヽ(´ー`)ノ.

Well I was talking about the latest version of the patch before it got pulled. It had a proper installer and had bug fixes instead of the command line stuff and unpacking tools you had to use with previous releases.

Top Bottom