• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

IzzyF3

It's divisive, but from the looks of this thread, the Batmobile skews positive. Including me, btw. I love the Batmobile.

The worst gameplay mechanic in AAA gaming and of the past couple generations is Detective Mode and every version of it. At least in Batman it sort of makes sense, but too many games cram it in (The Last of Us being the worst example imo).

I was gonna type this up when I was in my first hour of Batman Arkham Knight as well but I got more adjusted to the controls(I didn't realize you could move while in battle mode). Now I don't have a problem with it. It makes for easy traversal and has had some interesting puzzles and mechanics around it. I feel it's slightly excessive but it's not that bad.

Zakalwe

Banned
The worst gameplay mechanic in AAA gaming and of the past couple generations is Detective Mode and every version of it. At least in Batman it sort of makes sense, but too many games cram it in (The Last of Us being the worst example imo).

The Last of us is slightly different though, it's an aid for the stealth gameplay only, not an actual detective mode like Batman or The Witcher where you use it to hunt the environment for items or information, and it isn't integral like the others are, and it can be turned off.

Beernf

+1 vote for Batmobile being fun. Took a while to get used to it but now I can make it do what i want and its awesome.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.

I also hate the overuse of detective mode in gaming

hollomat

Banned
It's terrible and completely goes against why I play these games. I play batman for the combat, so it's very awkward and weird to have the batmobile in the game. It'd be like if I bought Forza 6 and in order to do the races, I had to spend 2/3 of my time running a racing company.

It's overused but the mechanics are just fine. If it weren't in the game, the same loud minority would be whining about how Knight is a retread of City.

I don't love the Batmobile, but it's okay.

I don't use it to traverse when I'm just exploring, I just fly around and use the car only when the game makes me.

I'm only about a third done the game though, it may start to piss me off later on.

Scrawnton

It is a fun mechanic that is way over used and beat to the ground. i like the puzzles that involve the bat mobile. Those are pretty interesting and fresh, but the tank combat got repetitive way too fast. It was a shame that most of the game boiled down to blowing up other tanks with your car or sneaking behind other tanks to shoot them from behinds.

It would have been a great mechanic if they used it maybe 25% of what they ended up using it with.

In short: great idea, way over used.

I don't love the Batmobile, but it's okay.

I don't use it to traverse when I'm just exploring, I just fly around and use the car only when the game makes me.

I'm only about a third done the game though, it may start to piss me off later on.

Just be sure to not ignore the Batmobile when upgrading. Im pretty far in the game...past a lot of the points that people are bitching about and its honestly not that bad, unless you totally suck at tank combat.

The Last of us is slightly different though, it's an aid for the stealth gameplay only, not an actual detective mode like Batman or The Witcher where you use it to hunt the environment for items or information, and it isn't integral like the others are, and it can be turned off.

Yeah that aid part is the part that I dislike. They force the aid into the design because they don't trust gamers and now Joel is some super human with radar senses.

Falchion

Absolutely loving the Batmobile so far. I'm saving up for the upgrades that catapult Batman above the city when you eject from it.

Falchion

I really like the tank segments actually. It feels like a modern day Battlezone.

bzshot21.gif

Yes!!! Maybe I'm loving the tank sections so much because I spent so much time playing Battlezone back in the day.

Mechanics that take a bit of practise and skill != worst mechanic ever. Jeez, no wonder game devs make games super easy.

Amen.

It took a minute to get acclimated and even when that happens, it still feels a lil slippery at times, but I really like it overall. I like how smooth it transitions with everything too, from controlling it remotely, to either running or gliding or jumping off a building n shit right into it and being able to just take off like nothing, to switching to battle mode real swift-like (gotta change it to Toggle control for the best feel), to ejecting out of it to soar the skies and even utilizing it in combat and puzzles. I do think it may be used a bit much, but I'm not really complaining about it. It's not perfect, but it's very fun. Shit, it definitely controls better overall than Roach does in Witcher 3, as there's no input delay between button press to the action actually happening. Best damn Batgame ever. I'd go as far to say that I love the Batmanmobile.

FDBMath

The combat stuff with the Batmobile I can take or leave.

The pursuit mode stuff, on the other hand, is crazy fun!! I think have spent about half the time in the game just hauling ass around Gotham and learning how to drive the thing effectively.

Ferrio

Banned
Anything involving tank mode combat should of been left on the cutting room floor. The driving stuff, the chase missions and puzzles are all good fun.

it's not bad at all.i just disliked the fact that they crammed the game with tank battles, instead of having actual boss fights, which for me weren't bad battles themselves, but i would've preffered bosses.

SeanTSC

I see a lot of "I didn't feel like Batman in the tank". I certainly did. I felt like it's what a 21st Century Batman would do if he had to fight off a Drone Army, because Batman is some horribly written bullshit that has Plot Armor for every conceivable situation and this fit right in with all the other nonsense. As stated before, I absolutely loved the Batmobile and it handles perfectly imo, so I'm totally okay with nonsensical story stuff as long as it plays well because nonsensical story stuff is key to Batman.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yeah that aid part is the part that I dislike. They force the aid into the design because they don't trust gamers and now Joel is some super human with radar senses.

But it isn't forced.

You can turn it off nor never use it, the game doesn't ever force you to.

Batmobile stealth wtf

Large, unmanned tanks that can only see from the front. You have to drive up behind them, hold position while you lock on, and shoot in their weak spot.

They're a lot of fun to fight, actually.

TsuWave

hated it from the moment i got my hands on it, game would be much better without it or at least if it wasn't as forced on us as it is in certain segments, honestly, the batmobile is the reason i haven't finished the game yet and i keep putting the game on the backburner

Arcayne

Haven't played the game, but from the streams I've watched; it looks fun and great if you can finish each level in one try. It looks furiously annoying if you have to keep redoing levels.

Robcat

Banned
I thought I would hate it when I watched the review but I actually don't mind it. It's not great but it's not horrible either.

ktynn

Banned
My biggest issue with it, is how out of character it is for Batman to be bombing tanks. Its ridiculous how many can ignore this issue.

I would like it a lot better if they added a third mode to the Batmobile, one that locks down the wheels and makes it more like a racecar.

So:

1. Tank mode
2. All-terrain mode - the rubber suspension that we have now - good for driving up and over all sorts of shit; terrible for going around corners
3. Actual pursuit mode - no more rubber suspension - the wheels don't flex, so you can actually corner without its ass bouncing around

gypsygib

I really like the batmobile.

The enemy chatter about it being a 90 billion dollar tank makes me feel warm inside everytime I use it.

My only complain was the control scheme but I changed it to toggle, so accelerate and break are on the triggers and everything is perfect now.

"the way the game plays" in borderlands 2 is a much worse mechanic for me

I hate the way the shooting works in both of those games and since the game is 100% of that, that is much worse than a car that is sometimes annoying

Lasty95

My biggest issue with it, is how out of character it is for Batman to be bombing tanks. Its ridiculous how many can ignore this issue.

Rubbish. It fits this story perfectly. Batman's last stand, army overrun Gotham etc.

Besides, RS are now pretty much the authority in all things bats anyway. If they say it fits, it fits.

Ferrio

Banned
They're unmanned drones and it's made pretty clear quite often.

Which is pretty stupid, put a guy in it..now what the hell is Batman going to do? Arkham Knight is pretty stupid, for someone who's suppose to know Batman pretty well they suck.

Which is pretty stupid, put a guy in it..now what the hell is Batman going to do? Arkham Knight is pretty stupid, for someone who's suppose to know Batman pretty well they suck.

This is true of anything with Batman, not just this game. You could think of many ways to force Batman into a similar desperate position. However, it's super hero fiction in a video game, you can make up any solution or gameplay mechanic.

"Master Bruce, the new EMP device has been installed in the Batmobile, but in order to use it you must get close to the tanks and attach it to the power source behind the vehicle."

ktynn

Banned
They're unmanned drones and it's made pretty clear quite often.

Visually its ridiculous, i'm not saying it doesn't make sense within the story. Visually its just ridiculous, Batman is a rich dude in a cape fighting crime (with his toolbelt and fists!), i never saw him as an armored mech inside a ridiculous sci-fi tank, shooting rockets at other tanks...

Visually its ridiculous, i'm not saying it doesn't make sense within the story. Visually its just ridiculous, Batman is a rich dude in a cape fighting crime (with his toolbelt and fists!), i never saw him as an armored mech inside a ridiculous sci-fi tank, shooting rockets at other tanks...

Yep totally out of the question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUz38n-fvQ

https://youtu.be/drgAn-vbSZ8?t=1m4s

Top Bottom