• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "Dpad" Nintendo's best contribution to gaming?

The shoulder buttons and Z trigger button are pretty dope too.

Actually the most important maybe the cross face buttons since so many games rely on them.

In all honesty Ninty's been innovating like hell every generation. shoulder buttons on the snes, analog stick on the 64, that weird as shit controller that was way more comfortable than it had any right to be on gc, the wii's waggle and split controller concept, touch on the wiiu, and now this portable/console hybrid madness.

Like, I'm far from a fanboy of nintendo, but credit where credit's due, and the gaming industry owe s nintendo a hell of a lot of credit.

Zalman

Nintendo DS is up there too. It had touch screen gaming years before smartphones, and even built-in wifi before the Xbox 360 did.

nkarafo

Analog stick.
AFAIK the Atari 5200 or the Vectrex were the first consoles with a true analog stick.

Although the difference is that back then it was not utilized properly and it was a failure. Nintendo made it successful first with the N64.

STEaMkb

When did the myth that Nintendo invented the analogue stick come into existence? I have seen countless people repeat it.

LordKasual

Banned
When did the myth that Nintendo invented the analogue stick come into existence? I have seen countless people repeat it.

good question, because the concept clearly existed before the NES, even if it was digital

and then that begs the question, which was the greater innovation, the analog stick or the dual analog stick???

boiled goose

good with gravy
Controllers:

Standard Pdad
standard analogue stick
standard 4 button layout
shoulder buttons
touch screen gaming
gyro gaming
accelorometer gaming
IR pointer gaming
Wireless controllers
analogue triggers

Games:
2D platformer template
2D adventure game template
3D platformer template + Camera control in 3D
3D aventure game template + combat in 3d (z targeting)
4 player local multi
Structured narrative in games
Secrets in games
(probably missing tons here...)

Other:
Memory on games (save states)
Handheld consoles
VR? (virtual boy??)
Quality control by platform holder

Manufacturers rarely 'invent' anything themselves. The innovation is in taking a technology and making it an industry standard or at least doing something new with it. In the context of games, that requires making influential games that use the technology in interesting ways, for example running in a fully realized 3d sandbox in Mario 64 or swinging a controller as a tennis racket in wii sports. Nintendo didn't invent the accelerator either.

nkarafo

good question, because the concept clearly existed before the NES, even if it was digital
The digital control stick is something entirely different though.

Still, analog sticks existed around that time.

Controllers:

Standard Pdad
standard analogue stick
standard 4 button layout
shoulder buttons
touch screen gaming
gyro gaming
accelorometer gaming
IR pointer gaming
Wireless controllers

Games:
2D platformer template
3D platformer template
3D aventure game template
4 player local multi
Secrets in games

Other:
Handheld consoles
VR? (virtual boy??)
At least half of those things are not invented by Nintendo.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The digital control stick is something entirely different though.

Still, analog sticks existed around that time.

At least half of those things are not invented by Nintendo.

Where did I say "invented"????

Nintendo popularizing and using these things in interesting ways are contributions to gaming.

nkarafo

Nintendo popularizing and using these things in interesting ways are contributions to gaming.
fair enough

But i was thinking more about something they made, although apparently it's not clear in the OP.

Even so, i don't think Virtual Boy contributed to anything at all. It was an even bigger failure than the older VR helmets of the early 90's.

They made millions of kids grow up loving rpgs thanks to Pokèmon. I think that's an outstanding achievement having in mind that rpgs are one of the most difficult genres to jump on, specially for kids.

erawsd

Yeah, invention itself is only half of the picture. I think finding practical application for an idea that influences and inspires the way things are done across the industry is every bit as important of a contribution.

BigEmil

Most of these is because Nintendo was one of the first big gaming industries and had to include the inevitable necessities for gaming eventually they just got there first while others just died on then new ones joined in

Santar

Well they sure took it away again with the Switch.
And that's in addition to that d-pad problem on the pro controllers too.
Nintendo has been on sketchy ground with their d-pads as of late sadly.

spekkeh

Banned
In all honesty it was probably this

You can pay $60 for a game because we promise we're good for it and it'll be worth your time. Otherwise gaming would probably never really have gotten out of simple arcade games.

But I like to think their biggest contribution was Mario Bros. A game that was about twenty years ahead in cognitive level design. That or probably Wii Sports--games that are good for your health.

Drek

Most of them weren't popularized by Nintendo.

Analog Stick - hard to say Nintendo popularized it when every controller for the last three generations, including Nintendo's with the Wii as the only exception, are basically clones of Sony's Dual Shock design.

4 button layout - something Nintendo hasn't consistently used themselves, developed at a time when SEGA was doing just as much in developing new controller tech (three button and six button pads).

Touch screen - Both SEGA and Tiger put out consumer products with touch control well before the NDS and the popularization of touch screen gaming was done by smartphones and tablets, not by the NDS which used a stylus for most well controlled games.

Gyroscopic aiming - Sony had this on the PS3, the Vita, and now the PS4. They put it in many popular titles while Nintendo was still heavily relying on the IR sensor to handle Wii targeting. At this point I can only think of two major Nintendo releases (Splatoon and BotW) that have gryo aiming as an option, meanwhile Sony made an entire first party franchise (Gravity Rush) built around the concept and put out Uncharted, Killzone, and Warhawk games with the feature as an option.

Accelerometer and IR pointer gaming aren't widely popularized mechanics and IR pointer interfaces predate Nintendo with SEGA having comparable success in the outset. One can debate who has serviced it better since, Nintendo with the Wii or SEGA, Namco, etc. with their far longer stint of lightgun shooter production.

Wireless controllers - Wireless controllers massively predate the Wavebird, the Gamecube wasn't successful enough to popularize shit, and besides, Logitech sold truckloads of their wireless PS2 (great) and Xbox (crap) controllers that gen. That was the real popularization of wireless, when Logitech's 3rd party controller began legitimately cannibalizing Sony's first party controller sales.

Analog triggers - The N64 didn't have an analog trigger. The Gamecube shoulder buttons aren't referred to by Nintendo as triggers and don't operate like triggers. The pressure sensitive L2/R2 on PS2 are comparably close to being a "trigger". Dreamcast was the first mainstream product to deliver real triggers standard and the first Xbox was what widely popularized triggers and made the rest of the industry adopt them.

Controllers:
Games:
2D platformer template
3D platformer template + Camera control in 3D
3D aventure game template + combat in 3d (z targeting)
4 player local multi
Secrets in games
All of this is fucking absurd and honestly pretty goddamn insulting to the hundreds of great game designers who predate Nintendo in the industry by about half a decade, and the thousands who have beaten Nintendo to many, many of these methods and design choices by months to years.

Other:
Handheld consoles
VR? (virtual boy??)
And nothing quite proves you have your head up Nintendo's ass like trying to argue the Virtual Boy as being first into VR.

nkarafo

Most of them weren't popularized by Nintendo.

Analog Stick - hard to say Nintendo popularized it when every controller for the last three generations, including Nintendo's with the Wii as the only exception, are basically clones of Sony's Dual Shock design.
Nintendo popularized it and hyped it with the N64, before anybody else. Sony made it a pair which was also a good idea but it's a different contribution.

Top Bottom