• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Mega Man 1 box art (US) the worst in history?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
na.large.jpg

Surely there's nothing worse than this one, right?

It's the actual box art from the North American release of Mega Man on the NES. Is it a monkey? Is it a man?

Does Mega Man actually use a handgun?

2008_01_12_megaman.png

So, GAF, my challenge is to present a box art even more ridiculous than the infamous MM1, if you can!

Last edited:

Raven117

It’s one of the best.

It lives in infamy. It seared into my brain as a young kid when my cousin pulled it off the rack. Been there ever since.

It is, but I think it's important to judge things based on a "Did they know any better?" scale.

This was still somewhat early on in the whole "Americans get a epilepsy attack when they see Anime" thing, that some publishers(?) Bought into.

At the time, anything that wasn't Japanese or Anime, and I mean ANYTHING, was automatically considered better...

I'm not defending the cover, it is awful, or great (Ironically speaking). But I have a hard time shiting on it.

Are you kidding me? That cover is a piece of art. We're still having discussions about its composition to this very day. That's timeless in itself.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
No, it's one of the best.

The point of box art is to be eye catching and memorable, and you just made a post about a box made almost 40 years ago.
Pretty sure the point of box art is to make people want to buy the game when they see it on the store shelves. Not for people to reminisce about how ugly it was decades after the fact.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The game must have sold OK because I think it got a couple sequels.
There are a ton of NES games that sold well and got many sequels that didn’t have butt-ugly box art. So I highly doubt that this art deserves any of the credit for the series’ success.

Also my memory of the time was fuzzy but I seem to remember Mega Man 2 as the game that really gained mainstream popularity for the series in the US (it even got a Nintendo Power cover). Most people I know were introduced to the series with MM2 then went and played 1 after the fact (and said “what the fuck is up with that cover?” when they did)

na.large.jpg

Surely there's nothing worse than this one, right?

It's the actual box art from the North American release of Mega Man on the NES. Is it a monkey? Is it a man?

Does Mega Man actually use a handgun?

2008_01_12_megaman.png

So, GAF, my challenge is to present a box art even more ridiculous than the infamous MM1, if you can!
Serious question, is there a background story to why they did that, was it purposely bad looking?

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Megaman2_box.jpg
lol no nothing can beat that masterpiece. Gotta love that “we need to make it look ugly and realistic because the gaijins hate anime” era. Mega Man 2 was pretty fugly too
This box art was created by Marc Ericksen

This man is a complete fucking super chad who created more box art than most of us have played games.
It was completed in a span of two days* based off of an art brief provided by Capcom USA.

Details from "The Art of The Box" highly recommend a purcahse.
X4W8v9c.png

Other covers created:
After Burner
Strider
2020 Super Baseball
Thunder Force 2
Herzog Zwei
And mutherfuckin' Bad Dudes just to name a few.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The US Wind Waker box art was kind of shit compared to the Japanese box art.

That happens a lot with Nintendo games. The US gets the crappy art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom